logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: North Carolina Regional
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:16 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Tentatively scheduling it for April 28, but I need to make sure we have the store and can get the logistics worked out, I'll keep everyone appraised as I find out more.

Post subject: Re: North Carolina Regional
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:24 am 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

The Charlotte Regional will be on June 16th at:

Rebel Base Comics
704 South Sharon Amity Road Charlotte, NC 28211
(704) 442-9660

Registration at 11am.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:57 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

We had a turnout of 13 this year. We have all factions but seperatist represented. After 2 rounds of swiss our 2-0 ppl are Graham, Andrew R, David, and Nick.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:08 pm 
One of the Sith on Malgus' Shuttle
One of the Sith on Malgus' Shuttle

Good luck, everyone! Can't wait to see more info on the squads, it's always interesting to see what different regions are playing.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:48 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Well here is just as good a place as any I guess to post my tourney report. Here's what I played.

--Red Zone Cuba--
62 Darth Revan, Sith Lord
36 Atton "Jaq" Rand
36 Lord Kaan
27 Lobot
16 Grand Admiral Rulf Yage
14 Exar Kun, Dark Force Spirit
6 Mouse Droid x2
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist

(200pts. 9 activations)

If you know anything about me you know I love Mystery Science Theater 3000. Red Zone Cuba is a movie on the show that is the worst movie ever made. It was so bad, I felt like my brain was running out of my head. Very similar to what happens to people hit by thought bomb.

Round 1 vs Jon:Cad, Nom, Tyber Zann, Spit CE guy, workers

Well I have a squad based completely around people not having force immunity, so this one sounded annoying. So I refer to my Lobot spreadsheet and bring in Momow Nadan and a caamasi noble.

After some setup I see a path that nets me 8 of his 11 bombs with a momow blast. I say "hell ya" and blow those bastards away. Jon was under the impression that war throat targeted (it doesn't) so a whole bunch of bombs went off for nothing. The next round Kaan hustles 14 by spending one of Exar's FP's to get within 6 of both Cad and Tyber Zann. I won init and blew up Kaan. Both Cad and Tyber fail their saves and go on to power Kyle Katarn in a later story arc. After that it was mop up for Revan and Atton.

3 points.

Round 2 vs Cliff:Naboo Trooper Swarm

I brought in 4 Caamasi Nobles, I'll discuss my strategy for them in this matchup later.

So Cliff and his brother Andrew are some local kids that play in charlotte that are pretty famous amongst us for being undefeated vs Daniel (he lost to cliff in round 1 making him 0-3 lifetime vs them). Cliff is a really good player to be 12. At the start I asked him if he wanted to see my cards and he said no. In round 2 I'm able to hustle Revan 20 squares and swap in Kaan to nuke his Mon Mothma, Queen, Panaka, Mas Ameda, Yularen, and 10 of his 16 troopers. He then asks to see Kaan's card. From there Atton and Revan cleaned up. Cliff's uggies hit litterally every time they attacked meaning Revan ended the game with 50 HP. The initial bomb was enough to give me the edge though.

6 points.

Round 3 vs Andrew:The exact same thing cliff played on the exact same map.

I used the nobles again and in this game they worked great.

Andrew talked with Cliff over lunch about what my squad was built to do and made it a point to only let me get 4 or 5 troopers with the bomb. Round 1 I run Revan into Gambit on his map (Muunlist) and charge the nobles up as well. I stuck Exar on Revan thinking that revan getting to 30 damage hits would be much more useful then Atton getting renewal. Atton already does 30 a shot vs the 30HP troopers so I didn't want any damage overage.

I end up trading Kaan for 5 troopers. Wasn't really worth it now that I think about it, but it did make Andrew let his guard down. Once Kaan was dead he didn't think I had any more tricks :maul: . With my 4 Nobles in gambit I set them up so if he wanted to shoot them he had to draw line of sight to Exar. Exar isn't a diplomat so he couldn't shoot them. I then used the nobles to base his troopers and have Atton kill them. They can't deathshot a noble so I was able to get 3 troopers that way.

In round 4 I found a way to move revan 20 squares and set Atton up for cunning shots on both Yularen and Mas "self five!". Atton capped both of them and actually moved further into his backfield so only 2 troopers could shoot at him. Andrew's dice then decided they didn't want to help anymore and he missed 10 out of 12 shots on Atton with his troopers late in the game. With Mas dead Revan started smiting duty and Gary came out and killed a few as well. End game it was Revan vs 4 Troopers, some uggies, and the Queen. Revan put on his clownstomping shoes and cleaned it up for the win.

9 points.

Round 4 vs Graham:New Nomi, Atton, Bossk TH, Bastilla, Lobot, Wicket, fodder.

Brought in a Human BG, and 3 brutes.

In this game I decided to smoke some crack and pull out my noob playbook. It was over in 20 minutes after I decide to. #1 Put Revan beside Kaan as I had a good thought bomb setup. #2 leave my Atton in the middle of nowhere out of cover. #3 move Lobot into gambit as he had all of his Attackers alive. and #4 Have Revan killed by Wicket. Poor choices indeed. I also got hit by Nomi's force light so Kaan couldn't even blow up. SMH. At least Daniel was doing worse then me.

9 points.

Round 5 vs Nick:Jaina Sword, scouts, Bardan, QM, Cap.

Brought in 5 Brutes and a Noble.

Nick was extremely concerned about my thought bomb going off. SO much so that he let me have full reign over gambit and didn't advance. Didn't matter to me as I had double override vs his 0, and I could both outact him, and autowin init. After he figured out his spacing for thought bomb I ran revan 18 to get within 6 of a scout. Won Init, killed a scout, swapped for a brute. After a few rounds he picked up that I wasn't going to thought bomb him. So Jaina ran up and tried to push the assualt. Atton was having none of that BS and took her down to 30 with some rage fueled shots. Kaan hustled over 14 squares and killed her with a Double Attack at init (causes he has Bravado!!). After Jaina died I send revan after his other scout and do the same trick again. Atton and Kaan then tag team the fodder, captain, and QM. I think I only lost an uggie in this game. Always feels good to beat the crap out of Nick.

12 points

So in round 5 Graham lost to Nate and we had 4 guys at 4-1 in the top 4. My only loss was to Graham and I beat Jon so I got 1st after swiss (3 regionals in a row for those keeping score). I got the rematch vs Jon in the semis.

Semi Finals vs Jon: Vong spit swarm.

Take the above game and Ctrl + C, Ctrl + P that in here. Jon couldn't figure out a way to both advance his dudes fast enough to threaten my setup and keep them far enough spread out that they wouldn't all get Ithorian beatboxed to death. I was also able to base Cad with Atton who murdered him very quickly (cause he has cunning!). Jon made his first top 4 after narrowly missing them for a long time. Vong got some love!

Finals vs Graham.

I decided to scrap that Noob Handbook and trade it in for some Art of War. I didn't rush in and decided to take 5 brutes and a Caamasi so I could outact him. I used the airducts on my map (Bespin) to try and trap one of his attackers in. Bossk moved in to stun mortar Atton and a brute and I made both saves (WIN!). Atton then hit 1 shot back on bossk getting him down to 80 (perfectly setup for the bomb). Nomi runs into gambit and Revan charges down to both #1. try and get her to burn some fp's so stupid ass force light doesn't nerf my big trick and try and widdle her down to 80 or less so Kaan can kill her. Only problem with that is Nomi has Jedi Reflexes (facepalm) lucky for me fortune smiled on me and Nomi had to reroll twice to hit revan on the Aoo. Revan got 2 hits in to drop her to 100 and at init Assualted again and got 30 more in. Revan then Master speeded away into safety. The round before I moved GARY up to take a shot at a piece of fodder. I possitioned him so Atton would have LOS only if he moved further into the middle. Bossk also moved down to help fire away at my dudes.

So big move in the game. Nomi (70 HP), Bossk (80 HP), Atton (80 HP), and that little furry jerk Wicket were all lined up perfectly for the bomb. I moved Exar kun up and used Dark Aura and had it all planned out. Stupidly I forgot Nomi hadn't moved yet and she wisely spent the force point to kill Exar. I still had my move so i ran Kaan in to blow up. At init Bossk died, both atton and nomi made the save and they dropped down into very killable range. They both ran back to wait for Bastilla's backup to arrive. Revan ran out and at init charged forward to kill atton. At that point Graham called it. Nomi at 30 and bastilla at full is no match for my full atton and revan at 70. I still had some screening fodder too. We also had a ton of driving to do so we headed out. I finally got another one!

Some things I learned.

Atton Jaq Rand is currently the best shooter in the game.

If you can outact Bastilla you can beat her. Even with a commander heavy squad.

Read every card before you start playing. Stupid Force Light.

Props to Spry for running a fun event and for my Boba Fett trophy. To the Riciardi's for their sweet customs. Tim for posting the squad idea (mine is differant, I used an uggie instead of a brute lol). To my wife for letting me use one of our few days off together to play minis. And also to Graham for making Finals after not knowing what his squad was until he sat down for his first matchup.

SWM FTW!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:19 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

Nice write up, and congrats! Sounds like you had a fun time.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:05 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Welcome to the 2+ regional wins club.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:11 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Weeks wrote:
so I got 1st after swiss (3 regionals in a row for those keeping score).

I have at all 5 of the Regionals I attended this year, also for those keeping score. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:45 pm 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

For the past two years of Regionals I have tried my hardest to just stay away from the super stealth Yuuzhan Vong teams. I played them to death once Yomin and the Adv. Scouts came out way back when and took them to the ’08 Gen Con Championships and ’09 Atlanta Regional. I just played that squad to death and was sick of it. Well… 3 years and 5 Regionals later I’m convinced that’s about the only way to go with my beloved faction. I was even willing to *gasp* not play the Yuuzhan Vong in my own hometown for our Regional. It would’ve marked the first time I hadn’t played the Yuuzhan Vong in a big competitive match since ’07. After getting fully waffle stomped in Atlanta with a beatstick squad and pestering from Spry to just give in to Yun Harla and play the super stealth…I went back to what was familiar and old.

Ahh, but see…here’s where I was wrong. It may have been familiar, but it wasn’t old. Now my squad had gotten much easier to play. Gone were the days of old where Yomin had to be sneaky and stay behind my advancing scouts all the while granting them spit poison and making sure not to stand too close. Now I had a Yammosk. Gone were the days where the only decent fringe shooter was CS Aurra Sing…in her place (and rightfully so) was SS Cad Bane. Lobot you say? I show you Zann, a better more useful subject to that blasphemer.

Now…if only the Warmaster of this squad was better…

--Giger's Erotica--
54 Cad Bane
34 Nom Anor
31 Tyber Zann
19 Yomin Carr
15 Yammosk War Coordinator
44 Yuuzhan Vong Worker x11
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist

(200pts. 17 activations)

Round 1 vs David and his Sith Revan/Atton/Kaaan squad.

I win map. He defers. I set up on the left and Ooglith the Yammosk in the gambit area. About two rounds in he swaps in Nadon and destroys around 5 workers. I pick him off and pull my team closer popping off missed shots with Zann and Cad. I may have killed an uggie but can’t recall and hit Kaaan a couple times. Kaaan races in and bases Cad. Here’s where I knew I needed some good save rolls. Nope didn’t have it. Cad died with a roll of a 3 and Zann a few squares away but still goofing off near Kaaan rolled a 2. Goodbye full hit point shooters. The rest of the rounds were more or less Spitting Atton to almost death before he killed a wounded Nom and Yomin. I got a perfectly timed call from my wife so I could weep in private. 0-1 and looking familiar.

Round 2 vs Daniel and his Scout trooper on speeder bike/Dash/Bandon/Malak and dudes

I win map so Cantina it is and I set up once again on the left. Looking pretty similar. After round one he had his bike propping the door open so Cad removed it. Round two or three he had all his dudes bunched up so I ran a couple workers into the mix, with one deciding to run by Dash to get next to some more dudes. I asked him if he wanted the AOO he said yeah and rolled a 17 killing three of my dudes and killing all his mice/uggies and 60 on Dash. After that mistake it was just suicide stuff with a traitorous GARY in the mix.

1-1 3pts (hey I won!)

Lunch vs Chipotle

Just 20 mins and I had defeated that chicken burrito

Round 3 vs Ryn and Sep Maul stuff

I win map and she deferred. She was afraid of her own skills this Regional so she opted to play something that would keep her from playing 5+ games. Quite the bad *** mini players those Weeks. It took quite a while to destroy those giant Super battle droid dudes.

2-1 6pts.

Round 4 vs Andrew R. and death shot troopers.

I win map (hey…doing pretty good with that) and he chose the better side. I was nervous about this game. We had played the week before in a tune up and he easily handled me. I stole mobile then. This time I opt for Mon Mothma’s. Better choice by far. This was a chess match the entire game, always keeping my guys hidden and staggering who I activate and when. I was able to kill off 4 of his dudes without any repercussions so by the time it got down to it, it was 11 workers vs 12 troopers. Better odds. The rest of the game was explosions and spitting of poison all the while Cad flew around popping shots on dudes that couldn’t shoot back. In the end, my tentacled monster proved he could do Mon Mothma’s CE better. Amazing how many 13’s I rolled to kill off a trooper already wounded by my explosion. Andrew is one of Charlotte’s best players and I was relieved to squeak out a 2 pt win against him. (he went on to get 5th place just missing out)

3-1 8pts

Round 5 vs Cliff and death shot troopers

Well at this point my brain was fried. The winner of this game makes the top 4 with both of us sitting at 3-1. I look across the table and notice a very similar team. Cliff is the younger brother to Andrew and just as formidable (just ask Daniel) Alright…let’s get this over. I lose map roll…we play on Muunilinst. How fitting actually. For this is the map I didn’t take to the Champs in ’08…but the map I won all my games on during said Champs. This map actually favored me, he had so many troopers that a few were left to where I could see them. So by the end of 3 rounds I had defeated over half of his trooper army. In the end I had garnered another win. 2pts.

4-1 10pts.

Not bad really. I had finally made a top 4 appearance after quite the agonizing trials of coming so close or not even close with Yuuzhan Vong beatsticks.

Semifinals vs David and Revan/Nadon

I was hoping for another opponent outwardly. David wouldn’t have any of it.

It was essentially the same game as the first, minus any drama whatsoever. I win map and promptly choose the left side again. I kind of equate this to the Cinderella team that makes it into the Elite 8 or Final Four…they haven’t been there before and are too busy smiling and don’t realize the other team is beating them by 20 points. In my case I just wanted to see how many Workers Nadon could actually destroy. I believe the count was about 8. Along with two uggies and a gran raider and 40dmg on Zann. Oh yeah…this was beginning of round 2. From here it doesn’t really matter how the rest played out. We were watching the other match in no time. Apparently Nate had a similar experience and was beaten pretty thoroughly as well.

Props to David for winning, giving me a 3rd place finish. Andrew R. for making amazing customs for all of us ( I got an awesome Embo), Spry for running it the event and convincing me to go back to my old squad, and the good turnout we had.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:33 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

jhc36 wrote:
For the past two years of Regionals I have tried my hardest to just stay away from the super stealth Yuuzhan Vong teams. I played them to death once Yomin and the Adv. Scouts came out way back when and took them to the ’08 Gen Con Championships and ’09 Atlanta Regional. I just played that squad to death and was sick of it. Well… 3 years and 5 Regionals later I’m convinced that’s about the only way to go with my beloved faction. I was even willing to *gasp* not play the Yuuzhan Vong in my own hometown for our Regional. It would’ve marked the first time I hadn’t played the Yuuzhan Vong in a big competitive match since ’07. After getting fully waffle stomped in Atlanta with a beatstick squad and pestering from Spry to just give in to Yun Harla and play the super stealth…I went back to what was familiar and old.

Ahh, but see…here’s where I was wrong. It may have been familiar, but it wasn’t old. Now my squad had gotten much easier to play. Gone were the days of old where Yomin had to be sneaky and stay behind my advancing scouts all the while granting them spit poison and making sure not to stand too close. Now I had a Yammosk. Gone were the days where the only decent fringe shooter was CS Aurra Sing…in her place (and rightfully so) was SS Cad Bane. Lobot you say? I show you Zann, a better more useful subject to that blasphemer.

Now…if only the Warmaster of this squad was better…

--Giger's Erotica--
54 Cad Bane
34 Nom Anor
31 Tyber Zann
19 Yomin Carr
15 Yammosk War Coordinator
44 Yuuzhan Vong Worker x11
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist

(200pts. 17 activations)

Round 1 vs David and his Sith Revan/Atton/Kaaan squad.

I win map. He defers. I set up on the left and Ooglith the Yammosk in the gambit area. About two rounds in he swaps in Nadon and destroys around 5 workers. I pick him off and pull my team closer popping off missed shots with Zann and Cad. I may have killed an uggie but can’t recall and hit Kaaan a couple times. Kaaan races in and bases Cad. Here’s where I knew I needed some good save rolls. Nope didn’t have it. Cad died with a roll of a 3 and Zann a few squares away but still goofing off near Kaaan rolled a 2. Goodbye full hit point shooters. The rest of the rounds were more or less Spitting Atton to almost death before he killed a wounded Nom and Yomin. I got a perfectly timed call from my wife so I could weep in private. 0-1 and looking familiar.

Round 2 vs Daniel and his Scout trooper on speeder bike/Dash/Bandon/Malak and dudes

I win map so Cantina it is and I set up once again on the left. Looking pretty similar. After round one he had his bike propping the door open so Cad removed it. Round two or three he had all his dudes bunched up so I ran a couple workers into the mix, with one deciding to run by Dash to get next to some more dudes. I asked him if he wanted the AOO he said yeah and rolled a 17 killing three of my dudes and killing all his mice/uggies and 60 on Dash. After that mistake it was just suicide stuff with a traitorous GARY in the mix.

1-1 3pts (hey I won!)

Lunch vs Chipotle

Just 20 mins and I had defeated that chicken burrito

Round 3 vs Ryn and Sep Maul stuff

I win map and she deferred. She was afraid of her own skills this Regional so she opted to play something that would keep her from playing 5+ games. Quite the bad *** mini players those Weeks. It took quite a while to destroy those giant Super battle droid dudes.

2-1 6pts.

Round 4 vs Andrew R. and death shot troopers.

I win map (hey…doing pretty good with that) and he chose the better side. I was nervous about this game. We had played the week before in a tune up and he easily handled me. I stole mobile then. This time I opt for Mon Mothma’s. Better choice by far. This was a chess match the entire game, always keeping my guys hidden and staggering who I activate and when. I was able to kill off 4 of his dudes without any repercussions so by the time it got down to it, it was 11 workers vs 12 troopers. Better odds. The rest of the game was explosions and spitting of poison all the while Cad flew around popping shots on dudes that couldn’t shoot back. In the end, my tentacled monster proved he could do Mon Mothma’s CE better. Amazing how many 13’s I rolled to kill off a trooper already wounded by my explosion. Andrew is one of Charlotte’s best players and I was relieved to squeak out a 2 pt win against him. (he went on to get 5th place just missing out)

3-1 8pts

Round 5 vs Cliff and death shot troopers

Well at this point my brain was fried. The winner of this game makes the top 4 with both of us sitting at 3-1. I look across the table and notice a very similar team. Cliff is the younger brother to Andrew and just as formidable (just ask Daniel) Alright…let’s get this over. I lose map roll…we play on Muunilinst. How fitting actually. For this is the map I didn’t take to the Champs in ’08…but the map I won all my games on during said Champs. This map actually favored me, he had so many troopers that a few were left to where I could see them. So by the end of 3 rounds I had defeated over half of his trooper army. In the end I had garnered another win. 2pts.

4-1 10pts.

Not bad really. I had finally made a top 4 appearance after quite the agonizing trials of coming so close or not even close with Yuuzhan Vong beatsticks.

Semifinals vs David and Revan/Nadon

I was hoping for another opponent outwardly. David wouldn’t have any of it.

It was essentially the same game as the first, minus any drama whatsoever. I win map and promptly choose the left side again. I kind of equate this to the Cinderella team that makes it into the Elite 8 or Final Four…they haven’t been there before and are too busy smiling and don’t realize the other team is beating them by 20 points. In my case I just wanted to see how many Workers Nadon could actually destroy. I believe the count was about 8. Along with two uggies and a gran raider and 40dmg on Zann. Oh yeah…this was beginning of round 2. From here it doesn’t really matter how the rest played out. We were watching the other match in no time. Apparently Nate had a similar experience and was beaten pretty thoroughly as well.

Props to David for winning, giving me a 3rd place finish. Andrew R. for making amazing customs for all of us ( I got an awesome Embo), Spry for running it the event and convincing me to go back to my old squad, and the good turnout we had.

What Bribery reinforcements did you usually bring? Did you bring an MTB? That was Lobot's main purpose in Jake K's 2011 squad that I won MO Regionals with this year. Daring to not have any override. It seems an MTB would have helped a lot vs Weeks, by saying FU to Revan's MT. Just curious how you utilized Zann's bribery.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:06 pm 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

Yeah, that was the one drawback with this build. Typically I just would bring in 2 uggies and a gran. I didn't have a lot of fodder for the MTB so I played a little more defensive. Hindsight...sure I should have given it a go since the first go around didn't play to my advantage. And I will probably do just that should I face a similar squad with this build. I didn't face as many lobot squads that I figured would be there...but as it is...I still prefer a ss Zann to Lobot any day.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:18 pm 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Tyber is more offensive, while lobot is more adaptability. Lobot may be blasphemy in the eyes of a vong but so useful in game play. I beat so many good players with my vong last year, I won just about any match where I wasn't facing droids. Override was very important an my matches last year and having that and the ability to bring in an mtb and some free bombs was so helpful. Tyber is interesting with more punch but I don't think I would have been able to run it with tyber.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:09 am 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

True, Lobot makes it easier to bring in an MTB. But Zann/Cad combo was the difference maker in winning both 16 figure death shot naboo trooper squads. just the fact that I can drop one with Zann without any repercussions is nice. I was able to wittle both of those squads down enough to allow for an even match. If played right, you don't need Lobot and his door control.