logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: New pairing software finally ready for use.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:25 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

This has been a long time coming, but after working on this on and off for the last 2 years, and a successful test run in the Michigan Regional, I present to the community a new pairing software to be used for running Star Wars Minis tournaments (Or any tournament that uses the same 3/2 scoring system):

https://code.darkwarlord-code.com/svn/s ... /Swiss.jar

You will get a warning with the link above, this is because my security certificate is self-signed. This isn't a problem, and you can download this safely.

Instructions are here:
Attachment:
Swiss Instructions.rtf

So far, even with this incomplete version, it is pairing players better than the previous software used by the community. The software was able to pair the results from last year's Wisconsin Regional with no problems. If duplicates are paired up, the software will tell you that the pairing is a duplicate, and allow for manual pairing.

Please keep in mind that this is still just a 'beta', so the interface is a bit rough around the edges. Constructive criticism is welcome, so I may improve on the code where I can. My plan is to have the proper version of this software available for download by GenCon this year. If you've got any questions or concerns that need pressing attention, email me at darkwarlord@darkwarlord-code.com. You can also post any comments, complaints, and criticism here, but I don't check the forum very often, so I may not get an answer out right away.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: New pairing software finally ready for use.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:29 pm 
Major Tierce
Major Tierce

And it is very user-friendly to use (Lou said it was the easiest pairing software he had used).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:19 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Thanks to Lou, I'm seeing a problem that people might encounter trying to get this running on your system. First, make sure you have Java installed. If you do have Java installed, and running "java -version" gives you a command not found error, you'll likely need to setup your PATH variable to look for Java. The following explains how to do this for Windows and Linux installations:

http://www.java.com/en/download/help/path.xml

If you're trying to find the Java executable to set this path for, try looking in Program Files or Program Files (x86) on Windows systems. The Folder should be called Java, and in this folder will be a folder containing the Java installation. in this folder, you should see a bin folder, wich will contain the Java executable.

Wish I could be more helpful here, but unfortunately, I can't guarantee that your Java install will be in the same spot as others. Any questions, ask. This is one thing that WILL be addressed in the final version of the program I plan to have ready by GenCon, since I'll have the program launch from an icon, rather than jump through hoops to get this thing running.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:49 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Fixes have been made. No more complicated hoops to jump through to get this to work. Follow these simple steps:

1) Install Java (if not already installed)
2) Download software (link above)
2.5) If running Linux, set the executable bit to be able to run the program (chmod +x filename)
3) Double click Swiss.jar file to run.

You can save this right onto your desktop, and run the program from there. No special installation required beyond getting Java running.

Regarding saving, the program will not save the file automatically anymore. Instead, you will need to select Save Results from the last dialog box that appears, and go from there. If you cancel out of this save dialog, the program will also not save, so be sure NOT to close out before saving your results.

Also, I've implemented a means of viewing results for all played rounds, though I've yet to implement the tabbed frame they're all showing up in to automatically set the current round as the active tab. I'm focusing on functionality over form, and I'll start working on the visual appearance once I've gotten things working well enough.

Printing is the next issue I'm looking to implement, along with being able to edit names (still does nothing). Any other questions, concerns, problems, let me know. The program is still rough around the edges, and the only way I'll know if there is a real problem is if someone tells me.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:36 am 
Major Tierce
Major Tierce

Downloaded and seems to fine so far.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:17 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Warning - do not close the dos promt box while using the program. Ray did that at the MO regionals and we lost everything. Luckily it was early enough that we could put it all back in, but it could have been disastrous.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:39 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

From what I understand this is the tie-breaking procedure we have now:
1. Points
2. Total Wins
3. H2H (1 player has beaten all other tied players)
4. SoS minus the game that hurts SoS the most (worst win).
5. SoS only defeated players minus the game that hurts SoS the most (worst win).
6. Full SoS
7. Roll Off

In MO regionals we had ties (as far as record and points) for 2-4, and 5-7.

I figured it all out on paper, and this program came up with the correct order.

Since the program crashed in the middle of the tournament (the dos prompt box was closed), we also booted up the old software and fed it into that. It did not come up with the correct order.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:43 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

OK - so name, points, and record are clear enough.

Can anyone tell me what the numbers to the right of the records mean? I thought maybe it was SoS or opponents SoS, but it doesn't appear to be accurate if that's the case.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:12 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I am finding that it is treating it merely as a .zip or .rar file that needs to be opened. When I double click it it merely shows me the files contents that would result if unzipped. I have Java installed.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:08 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Tim, what version of the program are you using? The current version (0.92) does not need to be run from the command line. Though the problem of closing the software still would remain, what with the lack of any warning befoe. I think I'm going to need to devise a way of saving a tournament, and recovering from a crash.

Also, the numbers are supposed to represent SoS for the varying tiebreakers, which I cant tell you which one is which without my code in front of me. Honestly, those were there for debugging, but will likely be removed for the final implementation. However, if the numbers are off, then I may have a problem that I didn't realize.

WacoBlaze, what Operating system are you using. I had a similar issue when I tried to run this in Ubuntu, and found out that the issue was with file assocation. If in windows 7, you may be able to adjust by right clicking on the file and changing the properties. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... by-default may help as well.Push comes to shove, try running via the command line using java -jar filename.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 7:17 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

New version of the code available for testing:

Only significant change with this version is a recovery feature, which will save a copy of your current tournament to be restored from at the start of a new round. This should help in case someone accidentally closes the tournament early.

The code checks for the existence of a recover.ser file, and if it finds it, asks if you want to restore from it. Say yes, and the tourney will start up from where you last left off. If you close the program early, and then remove the recover.ser file, then you are out of luck, so don't freak out about this random file on your desktop.

Also, it presently doesn't save results of matches entered in until the round is completed. I can increase the frequency of how often this writes to file (and may even add this as an option to the program, so you can choose, I tend to do that with choices that I'm not positive about :) )

Anyways, let me know if the code starts acting a bit weird as far as pairing after a restore. I tested this a bit, but haven't tested it enough to know for certain.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 9:39 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Ray was running the software in MO - so I don't know what version that was.

I was not in charge of running the software yesterday at the Chicago regional, but we did double check results.

First off - I don't know if it was a crash or an accidental shutdown, but I think that happen after round 1, so it was easy to just restart and enter results. But it sounds like a warning screen before it shuts down would be greatly appreciated.

Second - It appears that the tie-breakers worked accurately. We had three 2-2 records tied (all 6 points), and we figured it out manually. The highest SoS (minus the worst opponents record) went to Bill G. Then Lou and Bill R were tied on that too, but Lou beat Bill, and it had him ranked as 5th and Bill as 6th. All correct as far as we can determine.

The numbers to the right proved to be helpful, but as far as we can figure out the first one is SoS, and the second one is SoS (minus the worst opponents record). Even though tie-breakers are SoS (minus the worst opponents record) before full SoS - although it seems to account for that in the correct order even though they are listed in the wrong order.

SO - that being said - great work will. Small suggestion in addition to the close down warning - also label the tie-breaker categories, and put them in the order they are considered. That would be amazingly helpful.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 11:41 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

We used this in Atlanta, too, and it worked without a hitch. I had to do one manual pairing due to a duplicate pairing, but that was very easy to do. Top notch work.

"You can't per aspera ad astra unless there's some aspera in front of your astra. And that means sometimes the aspera gets you." - Donald X. Vaccarino

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 4:04 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

I could not find where you drop people maybe its there or in a new verison but it will be needed for Gencon.
Drop people?
Is this printable?
Fix the save button it shuts down if you try and save.
There is one other thing we will need for Gencon but forgot.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:49 am 
General
General

I haven't been able to get this to work on my laptop. Anyone care to contact me to walk me through it? I'm not really that stupid. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:31 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Thank you for the feedback. Will address each item as I can, prioritizing functionality needed for Gencon:
TimmerB123 wrote:
Small suggestion in addition to the close down warning - also label the tie-breaker categories, and put them in the order they are considered. That would be amazingly helpful.

A close down warning will be something that I add towards the end of development on this version, since there are other pressing matters that I need to address. I can also see about labeling the numbers, though I originally planned to not even have those visible in the final release. That will be more of a cosmetic adjustment made after I resolve some of the other issues.
jonnyb815 wrote:
I could not find where you drop people maybe its there or in a new verison but it will be needed for Gencon.
Drop people?

The drop player option is thrown in with the manual pairing option. I changed the label on the button to reflect this in the latest version. I will admit that it may make more sense to have this as an option while running the tournament as well, and will see about implementing this.
jonnyb815 wrote:
Is this printable?

Not yet. Been meaning to work on this, but my lack of a printer has made this somewhat difficult. This is likely going to be my next focus, save for the possible bug that you have brought up:
jonnyb815 wrote:
Fix the save button it shuts down if you try and save.

Could you tell me what Operating system you are using, as well as where you placed the Swiss.jar file? Not sure if it will help me, but I need to find a way to reproduce the error so I can correct, since it was working fine for me.
jonnyb815 wrote:
There is one other thing we will need for Gencon but forgot.

Let me know if you remember. Getting to be crunch time, and I'm going to be redoubling my efforts to address as much as I can before Gencon.
Chargers wrote:
I haven't been able to get this to work on my laptop. Anyone care to contact me to walk me through it?

I'd like to help, but I need to know what Operating system you are using. Assuming that you have Java installed, the problem is likely with file association, or what program your operating system will use for a given file extension. You're also not the only one encountering issues running this, so I'm looking into a better means of getting this code distributed, so the program will run without some additional configuration on your end. I'll update the thread as usual when I have found this out.

Now that It's getting close to Gencon, I'm likely going to pay more attention to this thread, as well as working much harder to address the remaining issues with my pairing software. Please bring up any additional concerns or questions with the code as you find them. I need as much feedback as possible if I am going to work out the bugs with my code.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:08 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Hmm, must not be too many issues remaining to fix. Anyways, here's the latest version of the code:

I have guards in place to prevent the tournament from closing by, well, closing it without confirmation first. I've also added a similar guard for the pairings to verify that you are sure you want to proceed if duplicate pairings are still present. Also there are likely some issues with the appearance of the parings listed before starting a new round, but I needed to change the form used for pairings to implement one of the more important features: Printing

Printing is now available for each round of pairings. I'll likely add printing for the end of round results (such as the end of a tournament) in the next release. Let me know if there are any printing problems with the print function, since I haven't gotten much of a chance to test.

With Gencon a month away, I'm going to be focusing solely on bugfixes and cosmetic concerns. The only feature I'm likely to add will be printing for the end results, and that's about it. I need time to have people let me know about any bugs. I also want to hear more about this save issue people are reporting, as well as exacting details on what happened when it failed to save. The more details the better, as I need to know why it's failing, and how to correct.

Any other issues, let me know asap, so I can get them fixed before Gencon. I plan on having this done before August, so that I don't have to worry about this as I prepare for the trip to Indy. Also, I'll be on hand Gencon with the finished copy of the software, and will personally make sure the software is working for everyone whose bringing a laptop to run a tournament at Gencon. This way, there aren't any surprises in the middle of a tournament.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:48 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

We'll be using this software for the Vassal Regional tomorrow. I've familiarized myself with it, and it seems to be very user-friendly. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for developing this!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:09 pm 
General
General

exiledgamer wrote:
Chargers wrote:
I haven't been able to get this to work on my laptop. Anyone care to contact me to walk me through it?

I'd like to help, but I need to know what Operating system you are using. Assuming that you have Java installed, the problem is likely with file association, or what program your operating system will use for a given file extension. You're also not the only one encountering issues running this, so I'm looking into a better means of getting this code distributed, so the program will run without some additional configuration on your end. I'll update the thread as usual when I have found this out.

ExiledGamer: Thank you for writing the program and getting it out there for people to use. big thumbs up!

others: EG helped me figure it out. I run Windows XP. When I downloaded the file, it saved as a .zip file by default. Don't let it do that. Make sure when you download it that it retains the .jar extension. Then it runs just fine.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:44 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Meant to get this out a week ago to give more time to evaluate this. In theory, this should be the last update before Gencon. If you are having problems with the code, let me know, so I can evaluate if it is a bug or not.

Otherwise, here it is, version 0.98:

Printing of the final standings has been enabled, and I've finally gotten around to improving the visual appearance. Not great, but not as bad as it was. Since Gencon is 2 weeks away, I need to know if there are any concerns that are found with the software as soon as possible to be able to fix them. This will only be bug fixes at this point, I'm not adding new features to the software until the next iteration.

Also, if you are having trouble getting this to run, and you have installed Java, make sure the .jar extension is added (Thank you, Chargers, for finding that out, might help with getting this to run on a lot of machines).

Regardless, I'll be at Gencon, and have copies of the code available to get this working on anyone's system that's running a tournament. Plan on contributing my own laptop to the cause as well.