logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Too Many Vsets... an extra idea...
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:17 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

There was a discussion on BlooMilk and I came in a little bit after it ended with an idea that had been bobbling about my head and I just had to share it. It's been suggested that I post it so folk can debate it if they wish... problem is that no one has on BlooMilk, and I can't find if a thread with a similar topic was set up here... so, the link below is the BlooMilk thread with all the background and below this link is my thinking.

Peace out.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Forums/default.aspx?g=posts&t=10916&p=4

So.

I was doing some thinking the other day (I tend to do that from time to time... but strangely not during SWM games...) and I thought about a possibility or option that could have some discussion within this Vset spacing issue.

What if: we had one 60-piece Vset a year which was released at Gencon, and during the year were three 10-card minisets released throughout the year (at three month intervals leading up to GenCon). That would look like this: a 10-character miniset in November, February, May and then the full set in August. The minisets would not be immediately printed, but would be available for download, but come time for the GenCon release, the sets would all be available then in hard-format.

This would mean 1 printing run of 90 cards a year (60 + 3 sets of 10, which is in multiples of 18) so only one funding drive and then most of the ditribution is covered by GenCon visitors. The minisets give the game a chance to be actively changing throughout the year, but asking people to print off 10 cards is not a huge ask, especially if they know they'll get them all in August. It's less of a drain on postage, less of a drain on designers! and still allows us to have things to change the game throughout the year, but still something to look forward too.

You could also have 1 60 card set and four mini-sets of 12 which would be 108 cards (multiple of 18) and release a miniset at GenCon too. Although I think concentrating on a fullset at Gencon is better in my oppinion.

Hmmm.

Post subject: Re: Too Many Vsets... an extra idea...
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:54 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

I would hope this would never come about. A ten card set would be like a tease. Who knows if out of the ten cards you would get something you would actually use...

[===0=]=============>

Sentinel for Life!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:59 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Good call, although '10' as a number can be changed. It's more the principal behind the idea.

(To be honest, my hope is for 4 Vsets a year, no wait - 5, but I do want to look after our designers... that way I'll get my uber-melee-Rebel Luke... *wink wink nudge nudge*)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:53 am 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

1 60 set and 3 20 sets could work imo. 20 is enough to put out some great pieces. But, it also puts more stress on the playtesters.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:29 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

DieAndBeMetal wrote:
1 60 set and 3 20 sets could work imo. 20 is enough to put out some great pieces. But, it also puts more stress on the playtesters.

20 wouldnt be as bad as ten but then you are looking at a situation where the playtesters and designers are really going to have to bust butt to get them out consistantly. I also wonder how the smaller sets would affect printing cost?

The last thing to figure out, are the donations there and going to be there as your asking for more money a year out of the players.

[===0=]=============>

Sentinel for Life!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:56 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

audrisampson wrote:
DieAndBeMetal wrote:

20 wouldnt be as bad as ten but then you are looking at a situation where the playtesters and designers are really going to have to bust butt to get them out consistantly. I also wonder how the smaller sets would affect printing cost?

The last thing to figure out, are the donations there and going to be there as your asking for more money a year out of the players.

I think, if you read Kezzamachine's original post, the whole point of doing it that way is that there only needs to be a single big print and send each year, so it's cheaper, even if the print run is bigger. The smaller sets get released as PDFs, and you can just print them out yourself, then get the year's official cards all in one lot when the big set is released around GenCon.

It would also mean that there are a few less cards being released each year - 90 or 120 instead of 144.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:46 pm 
Moff Disra
Moff Disra

Nope. So many reasons why not to change.

I'm not sure which is the larger reason:
play testing
making the card graphics
any changes now will kill the game

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:51 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

You need new things to keep a game alive. How many is to many in a year though? Well, current pace seems to put it at to many new pieces are being made to be play tested. More play testers? Fewer mini's? Or just fewer new abilities so there is less to throw a monkey wrench into things?

Either way, play test play test play test :mj:, play test play test play test :mj:, play test play test play test :mj:, play test play test play test :mj:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:43 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

My opinion: I'm happy as with the way things are right now! (Truth be told, I'm really hoping someone will make me into a character and accidentally slip me in to Vset6...) Very happy with the discussion.