logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Re: New SWM website; what would you want?
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 2:07 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Location: Yes, I am yet another Canadian. Keeping the game alive on life support in the GTA.
swinefeld wrote:
R5Don4 wrote:
8-) I linked to that site in my first post. I'd love if that could make the distinction between clear and cover as well.

:roll: I completely overlooked your link, doh!
I dig the clear/cover idea. :)

It would come in handy playing against Super Stealth as well as calculating D.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 3:53 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

R5Don4 wrote:
swinefeld wrote:
R5Don4 wrote:
8-) I linked to that site in my first post. I'd love if that could make the distinction between clear and cover as well.

:roll: I completely overlooked your link, doh!
I dig the clear/cover idea. :)

It would come in handy playing against Super Stealth as well as calculating D.

It's a good idea, but I'm not sure it would be workable as part of the MapExplorer coding.

Pretty much, if you're using MapExplorer to see if there is a LOS to a certain spot, then the odds are about 99.999991% that the target will have cover, even assuming that there is LOS to that character's space.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 4:02 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Location: Yes, I am yet another Canadian. Keeping the game alive on life support in the GTA.
I remember asking the original coder about it and he originally didn't put it in because other characters give cover; other than that he didn't think it would be too much of a tweak to the original code. Now if you could place character positions that are providing cover as well now that would be totally awesome.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 1:03 pm 
The One True Sith Lord
The One True Sith Lord

you know if you want changes made to the site all you have to do is ask.

I am very busy but I also notice that I have zbsolutely zero emails or pm's requesting this or that. Other people such as Ruhk have access to change the main page. It is not hard. We use e107 just for the fact it is easy to add content that is downloadable and takes little time. I had an agreement a long time ago with Nickname kind of a buddy agreement that I would not try to replce the Holocron as a rules resource. We also at one time had a agreement with Shinja at bloo to let his squadbuilding be the place to go. But personally I dont care either way at this point. If you want to make changes fine. If you would rather build your own and start up something new that is fine too. I think the only problem you face is that with each time you move to new site and change (not that change is bad) that you run the risk of losing the crowd that might one day come back to the game. I am not saying this would be a huge crowd or anything but it would be nice to have them back at one point.

Articles were huge when we first built this site. We had several articles written for the site and as folks write them and send them to me I have posted them. This site is now almost 6 years old and is welcome to constant improvements.

When I developed the SHNN I kept a copy of all shows here and made sure they were availible on I-Tunes for download. In the end it is up to all of you to do what you wish. I wish I had more time but being as I am going to school and having 2 sons at Oklahoma State and two children still at home I just don't have a lot of time laying around.

Collection: 934/934

SWM DCI Content Manager

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 1:11 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

dnemiller wrote:
I think the only problem you face is that with each time you move to new site and change (not that change is bad) that you run the risk of losing the crowd that might one day come back to the game. I am not saying this would be a huge crowd or anything but it would be nice to have them back at one point.

Let me emphasize that point. When SvenBlackSunVigo came to me about coming back to the game one of my stipulations was that the Vsets were still being supported and I could find a support system for the game. The FIRST place I came to was this site, followed by the Holocron. If either of those sites were gone and unavailable I don't think Danville would have returned to minis.

[===0=]=============>

Sentinel for Life!

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 1:28 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

dnemiller wrote:
you know if you want changes made to the site all you have to do is ask.

I am very busy but I also notice that I have zbsolutely zero emails or pm's requesting this or that. Other people such as Ruhk have access to change the main page. It is not hard. We use e107 just for the fact it is easy to add content that is downloadable and takes little time. I had an agreement a long time ago with Nickname kind of a buddy agreement that I would not try to replce the Holocron as a rules resource. We also at one time had a agreement with Shinja at bloo to let his squadbuilding be the place to go. But personally I dont care either way at this point. If you want to make changes fine. If you would rather build your own and start up something new that is fine too.

I don't want changes to this site. This site does what it does well; what it does, though, is act as a forum. It's fine for that. It's not a good repository for resources, though, in my experience. A big part of that is that it is so strongly identified as primarily a forum that it's rare that people even go to the main page. I know I basically never do. And I don't like having resources posted on the forum as a primary source, that just seems cumbersome. The Holocron filled this need (resource repository) very well. The Holocron is gone now, so I think something needs to fill its place.

Quote:
I think the only problem you face is that with each time you move to new site and change (not that change is bad) that you run the risk of losing the crowd that might one day come back to the game. I am not saying this would be a huge crowd or anything but it would be nice to have them back at one point.

That's why I'm trying to make it very straightforward and simple, and I'm also hoping to get the URL for the-holocron.com, so if someone DOES come back to the game (like Audri and the Danville crew) and wants to check out The Holocron, they can go to the same old URL and get essentially the same service, just further enhanced.

Nothing should be moving; this should just be something to add to what we have and replace what we have lost.

Quote:
Articles were huge when we first built this site. We had several articles written for the site and as folks write them and send them to me I have posted them. This site is now almost 6 years old and is welcome to constant improvements.

Yep, articles were a big part of this site as well as The Holocron and BlooMilk for a while. But they haven't been very common in a long time, and I think that's something that would help the community a whole lot. I know MANY new players (including myself, when I was new) are more comfortable reading an article to get advice on how to do well in the game rather than post in the forums. Heck, many people wouldn't even know what questions to ask on the forums. Well written, up to date, regular articles that cover many aspects of the game should serve that need. Sure, they could just be written and posted on the forum here or on Bloomilk, but why not have them in one place more specifically designed to house them? Since I was already planning on making a site to carry on the torch from The Holocron, I figured I'd also try to rekindle the "article" torch while I'm at it.

"You can't per aspera ad astra unless there's some aspera in front of your astra. And that means sometimes the aspera gets you." - Donald X. Vaccarino

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:07 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Honestly, I would like to see part of Nickname's policy remain for the rules documents. Keep the WOTC stuff Nickname did. Then possibly my supplement for WOTC stuff. And then have the fully expanded FAQ/Glossary for the Vset seperate and easily distinguishable.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:39 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Sithborg wrote:
Honestly, I would like to see part of Nickname's policy remain for the rules documents. Keep the WOTC stuff Nickname did. Then possibly my supplement for WOTC stuff. And then have the fully expanded FAQ/Glossary for the Vset seperate and easily distinguishable.

This is a good plan.