logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Are you sick of huge sets
Total votes : 0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:29 pm 
General
General

Fool wrote:
what makes huge sets awful is that 90% of the huges are like $5 and under when you buy them and the booster price goes UP for junk.

If they had one more mini/booster or the price was the same as normal sets then it would be fine.

Problem is that it's win win for wizos - re-sell value goes way down and they make more $$$$4 per case and per booster.

If they could add an additional R/VR to each booster, that'd really bring it back in line to a normal set. I would have absolutely no problem with Huge sets if I knew I were getting minimum 2 Rs per booster.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:36 pm 
Name Calling Internet Bully

Zac_Attack wrote:
So Bill what do u think of the TIE Crawler? BTW I heard u got to play at BFG I'm so jealous.

Just pulled it last night. Its massive! I dont know what I would do with it, it seems like the worst of the huges this set. Will look cool enough on my shelf though.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:06 pm 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

I'd ordered some FU, and after reading the nightmarish stories on this forum, I'm afraid that I've just wasted a lot of money...at least I'm also getting an RS booster too. I know that there HAS to be some good stuff in that, at least.

Actually, I could care less about what I get as long as it isn't a Knobby White Spider, or Wedge Antilles.
Both of which I'm bound to get. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:14 pm 
General
General

Aeimnestus wrote:
Actually, I could care less about what I get as long as it isn't a Knobby White Spider, or Wedge Antilles.
Both of which I'm bound to get. :?

Don't worry, I reduced the chances of that happening for you. That was my first booster.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:19 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

The Knobby White Spider is why I stopped buying after my second case. I didn't even play in the release event at my LGS, opting to judge instead. I never want to open a booster with a Knobby White Spider or a Junk Golem EVER AGAIN.

Well, that or the Amanin Scout.

For the same price as a case, I was able to go to one of the websites that sponsors this place and customize what I wanted via single purchases. I got about 10 less miniatures total than if I'd opened a case, but at least I know what I'm getting, and that there won't be any JUNK.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:37 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

billiv15 wrote:
Dude, I won the release event today on the back of my two huges. the Troop Cart, and the Golan Turret.

I love huge sets. Hate the cost, but I dont play this game because its cheap. Seriously, I am sick of the complaint threads about eveything.

You are not force to take part in this topic you know. I understand if you do not like these topics but it was very clear what it was about by the title of the thread, you could have just not looked at it.

Other than the actual Huge figures i have liked the rest of the minis in the set. I still think Universe was one of the best sets for characters. Other than the huge. Bounty hunters was equal second with COTF set but again the huge ruined it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:21 pm 

Well, if/when worse comes to worst, at least I purchased everything with a gift card I received for last Christmas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:04 pm 

dreadtech wrote:
You are not force to take part in this topic you know. I understand if you do not like these topics but it was very clear what it was about by the title of the thread, you could have just not looked at it.

Yep, and the OP was free not to post it as well. But since he did, I have every right to criticize it as "yet another complaint thread".

Here's what I dont get. Why do you feel the need to tell me I dont need to post in a thread? I dont view complaint threads as adding a whole lot to the game, to the message board, or to a general life outlook. Sure, some complaints are valid, some might even need to be expressed. But most are a waste of space and do more negative to a community than good. Not to mention most are baseless and stupid (not necessarily this one).

And lastly, I am a mod in this forum, I have to look at every thread :) And to the OP, I am not really that upset about this one. Hence the reason I have contributed several thoughts into it. I just tire of the general complaint trend that permeates anything Star Wars.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:23 am 
General
General

If you really want to make us believe the huges are good make some squads and post them. I agree the golan is a decent piece, I think it is the FIRST competitive huge at any point level. Alternately I find most of the others to be a complete waste of points at *any* point level. Map choices aside (so lets say it is 200 points), what are decent choices? Your repeating blasters from the cart? Nah, it is a fun squad, sure, but like my alderaan squad, have fun hitting those high defenders. Melee Savages? Yeah, those just plain are useless. I will really enjoy manipulating those with the noble. Non flyers, have fun moving them around on the maps.

What really gets me is that supposedly (I was not there, so I dunno what he really said), Rob said he was going to make huges playable. Outside of a token few I think they are not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:51 am 

The only things I don't like about Huge sets is the cost per booster, the number of boosters per case and the frequency of their release.

I don't play in tournaments, except the release tournies, so it's all for fun.

Some of the Huges in this set were a bit of a stretch, but for the most part I enjoy them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:13 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Zac_Attack wrote:
Ok I for one am sick of huge sets I can get 3 regular size packs for the price of 2 huge packs. I would be ok with it if the huges they made were actually useful and not your TIE Crawler, Telos Tank Droid, Junk Golem figs. I mean seriously!! I want no more huge sets!! Ok rant over.

You know what's funny here....the 3 you mentioned are probably some of the most playable of all the Huges (except for maybe the Golan Turret and the Tank Cart). The TIE Crawler is a pretty decent piece, IMO. DR10, with Penetration 10 and Twin....pretty sweet. I used one in a sealed event and landed 3rd place with it (AND the AT-ST incidentally, as my rares were Leia and Wedge). The Junk Golem is quite good in the right situations, and both the Golem and the Telosian Droid can be GREAT in squads with a BDO.

Sure, I'm not terribly happy about the difference in prices, but IMO, all of the huges in this set (with the exception of the AT-ST and the Spider) impress me, and are at least as playable, if not more so, than anything we have so far. Honestly...did you ever play a Snowspeeder before? I can definitely see myself playing the new Luke's Snowspeeder. Same with comparing some of the Separatist huges with the new Telosian. And I think everyone is pretty much in agreement that the Golan and the Troop Cart have some nice uses.

I think if you really take some time to look at everything closely, and spend some time playing with the pieces, you find they aren't quite as bad as you may think.

Boris wrote:
The Knobby White Spider is why I stopped buying after my second case. I didn't even play in the release event at my LGS, opting to judge instead. I never want to open a booster with a Knobby White Spider or a Junk Golem EVER AGAIN.

Well, that or the Amanin Scout.

That is so wierd. I did pull like 4 or 5 Spiders total over the weekend (3 cases, 4 boosters for 2 release events, plus 1 prize booster, so 23 boosters total). But I only pulled 1 (yeah...ONE) Junk Golem. I also pulled Luke's Snowspeeder, 4 Uggernauts, and at least 2 (maybe 3) AT-STs. I actually ended up trading the 4th Uggernaut for somebody else's extra Junk Golem just so I could have two of them.

Oh, and I only pulled 2 Amanin Scouts and 1 Emperor's Shadow Guard as well. Had to trade to get the other 4 Shadow Guards I picked up. :twisted:

The case distributions seem to be really odd with this set. I haven't been too frustrated with my overall Huge pulls, but pulling 3 of the same R/VR in the first 2 cases was quite irritating.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:16 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I don't know, I see the Tank Droid as a possibility in 200 with Seps. Much better than the Starfigther, and maybe slightly better than the Viper. The Rancor is a pretty nice beatstick too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:03 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

I hate huge sets because i always get bad huges so it seems liek a wast of $6

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:47 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Well, if you were sick of huges now, the sickness continues next year:

http://www.target.com/Knights-Old-Repub ... res&page=1

Knights of the Old Republic: A Star Wars Miniatures Huge pack (Star Wars Miniatures Product)

Don't know if anyone saw that or not, but I found it while searching Target.com for the Hoth pack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:06 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

I see nothing wrong with huge packs, the prices are horrible, but I like the figs so I'm happy about this news.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:06 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

I don't like the Huge sets.
Well, that's not strictly correct, the quality of minis, set choice etc. I don't have a problem with. But I really struggled to earn the money to be able to complete FU, and I can't see me having that sort of money available again.

I like the actual minis but I use the odd one in gimmick squads. Cost wise they are not worth it by a long shot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:57 pm 

About the KotoR set:
First of all, it will hopefully give the OR and the Sith some huges.
Second of all, if it is truly all about Kotor, I don't need to waste my money on them.
Third, it lists them as $15...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:59 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

Aeimnestus wrote:
About the KotoR set:
First of all, it will hopefully give the OR and the Sith some huges.
Second of all, if it is truly all about Kotor, I don't need to waste my money on them.
Third, it lists them as $15...

If thats true, then WOTC has made an improvement of reducing the cost of the huge boosters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:35 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Keep in mind this is a VERY early posting. Rancor Attack anyone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:43 pm 
Jedi Council
Jedi Council

Aeimnestus wrote:

It will be based on KOTOR just like the last set was based on the FU game. About 1/4 of the set will actually have to do with the title.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next