logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post subject: Re: 2012 Regional Meta
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 12:58 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

greentime wrote:
Well, that was an interesting weekend. Rebels and Separatists, who up 'til now made absolutely zero noise, won the Chicago and Atlanta regionals, respectively.

I do think that GOWK plus Mace and well-built Weir squads can give both Rebel and Slow Lancer squads trouble. Their problem is getting past the deathshot squads, which is not a trivial challenge. Honestly, Naboo deathshots are probably the biggest gatekeeper in the meta right now.

well I dont know about that. I went 2-2 with it (well a tile wars squad). I think it could of gone 3-1 if I had pilots, a dip and a few more Naboo guys but its far from a gate keeper.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 11:16 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

greentime wrote:
Well, that was an interesting weekend. Rebels and Separatists, who up 'til now made absolutely zero noise, won the Chicago and Atlanta regionals, respectively.

I do think that GOWK plus Mace and well-built Weir squads can give both Rebel and Slow Lancer squads trouble. Their problem is getting past the deathshot squads, which is not a trivial challenge. Honestly, Naboo deathshots are probably the biggest gatekeeper in the meta right now.

Well I guess its time to bust out Bastilla again...

[===0=]=============>

Sentinel for Life!

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:06 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

audrisampson wrote:
greentime wrote:

I really like the Bastilla/Carth/Atton squad, but Mace eats it alive. I'm sure there's a way to do it well though.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:18 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Well we didnt see much Mace this week. I guess we will see what Kokomo looks like.

[===0=]=============>

Sentinel for Life!

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 3:07 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

thereisnotry wrote:
audrisampson wrote:
greentime wrote:

I really like the Bastilla/Carth/Atton squad, but Mace eats it alive. I'm sure there's a way to do it well though.

I would say Carth/Atton out in favor of Mira, assuming at least 1 OR Senator is lurking about, Mira can more than handle Critdu. At the WNY regional, I hit Critdu for 130 before he knew what him.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 3:14 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Well fter this past weekend it's safe to say we can add a few new cogs to the wheel of the meta

Naboo Deathshots
Good vs: Beats Mace/GOWK like they stole something, Beats Weir with careful play, beats most every melee centered squad.

bad vs: Bastilla, Pieces that can kill multiple of them at once, oddly enough Lancer + Tech is suprisingly hard to beat.

You can also factor in Lancer and Rebels but I'm not sure what they are better vs and worse against just yet. Naboo Deathshots should be a part of the conversation. They are pretty much unbeatable against certain squads unless you have ways to tech against them.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 3:40 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Weeks wrote:
Well fter this past weekend it's safe to say we can add a few new cogs to the wheel of the meta

Naboo Deathshots
Good vs: Beats Mace/GOWK like they stole something, Beats Weir with careful play, beats most every melee centered squad.

bad vs: Bastilla, Pieces that can kill multiple of them at once, oddly enough Lancer + Tech is suprisingly hard to beat.

You can also factor in Lancer and Rebels but I'm not sure what they are better vs and worse against just yet. Naboo Deathshots should be a part of the conversation. They are pretty much unbeatable against certain squads unless you have ways to tech against them.

8 words: Arica's Blaster Barrage while she's standing in cover. ;)

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 3:43 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

thereisnotry wrote:
Weeks wrote:

Naboo Deathshots

8 words: Arica's Blaster Barrage while she's standing in cover. ;)

Well sure, if someone lets you do that then they deserve to lose. The big thing the pilots have going for them is by round 2 on a lot of maps they are in your backfield killing your commanders. So if you aren't doing that Barrage in round 1 or 2 then it may be too late.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 4:16 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

What maps do you like best for Naboo death shot squads?

What do you think about variants with AniStap? He seems potentially useful as he can clear out fodder for the death shots, harass Bastila/kill fragile disruptive like Juno, and he synergises well with pieces like the Klatooinian Captain, Admiral Yularen, and Mon Mothma, but he obviously means that you have less room for everything else.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:18 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

TheHutts wrote:
What maps do you like best for Naboo death shot squads?

What do you think about variants with AniStap? He seems potentially useful as he can clear out fodder for the death shots, harass Bastila/kill fragile disruptive like Juno, and he synergises well with pieces like the Klatooinian Captain, Admiral Yularen, and Mon Mothma, but he obviously means that you have less room for everything else.

Anistap costs 4 pilots. That's too big of a cost. Your basically getting queen for free in the squad. She should be up front capping uggnaughts all game and collecting gambit. AniStap is a completely different direction. Those 8 Pilots are very very strong. You'll end most games with at least 2.

I used Bothan Spynet HQ because with my speed 16 + r2 I can always get first round gambit. I can also hold down the middle of the map by having all 8 Pilots in Gambit by round 2. Once that happens it's all downhill.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 9:02 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

Weeks wrote:

Naboo Deathshots
Good vs: Beats Mace/GOWK like they stole something

To be more precise, the pilots could be hell on Mace, the troopers, not so much.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:52 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I beat a well put together Naboo Pilot death shot squad x 2 on Sat. Run by a 3 time regional finalist no less. (Bill German from MO)

The way I did it was this: Lord Kaan

If you spread out - I put a mousie in front and let Atton do his thing. If you cluster - Lord Kaan does his thing. Revan gives you the speed to really do either at any point. When Kaan goes off, it's hilarious thinking about all the pilots unloading into Kaan's corpse.

Also, (as always) - Lobot is key. If the death shooters are pilots or troopers, bring 5 mice and salacious crumb - or 3 mice and Figrin D'an. If they are soldiers (surprisingly strong here, as they turn into bodyguards that can protect Mas, Mon and Yularen, and at 1/3 the cost) then you bring Momaw Nadon. Distraction let's you smoke one that runs 16 just to base someone, and they can't do anything about it.

If they cluster - you Kaan bomb, em. If they spread way out - that can give you the lane to make a sprint for the commanders. Do it with Kaan and there's not much they can do.

In my games on Sat I think I had about 8-9 death shooters to face. My opponent was cagey, and never let me get more than 4 with Kaan, so I had to do a combo of Atton shooting behind mice and distracting through Figrin or Salacious crumb. Also - Revan can take a hit if he has to. But man you gotta play it smart to win. It is a tough match.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:54 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

By the way - 8 regionals, 7 factions have won. Have we finally reached faction balance? Maybe not quite - but it's hard to argue that we're closer than we have EVER been.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 11:16 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

TimmerB123 wrote:
By the way - 8 regionals, 7 factions have won. Have we finally reached faction balance? Maybe not quite - but it's hard to argue that we're closer than we have EVER been.

So Sith, NR, and Vong haven't then. Thats pretty good considering those factions can win one at any time.

[===0=]=============>

Sentinel for Life!

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:25 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

audrisampson wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:

So Sith, NR, and Vong haven't then. Thats pretty good considering those factions can win one at any time.

Vong did win a regional. KY I believe, with Nom bombs. 7/9 factions (has anyone brought a pure Fringe squad yet?) is very impressive.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 9:03 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Sithborg wrote:
audrisampson wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:

Vong did win a regional. KY I believe, with Nom bombs. 7/9 factions (has anyone brought a pure Fringe squad yet?) is very impressive.

Vong won Missouri

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 9:04 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Tim beat me to it. (but Graham took KY with OR Jank)

C'mon Sith!

Is there a pure Fringe squad that can win?

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:04 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

swinefeld wrote:

C'mon Sith!

IMHO, any Fringe squad can be improved by mixing in one of the cheap-and-powerful tech pieces from one of the main factions:
-R2 Astromech
-General Dodonna
-Rodian Diplomat
-Sidious Hologram
-Death Watch Saboteur

If you have a good fringe-only squad, I am sure that working in one of these pieces would only make it better.

Therefore, I don't think we should expect a Fringe-only squad to win a Regional, since the competition is so fierce and you need every edge you can possibly get if you hope to win.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:26 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

thereisnotry wrote:
swinefeld wrote:

C'mon Sith!

IMHO, any Fringe squad can be improved by mixing in one of the cheap-and-powerful tech pieces from one of the main factions:
-R2 Astromech
-General Dodonna
-Rodian Diplomat
-Sidious Hologram
-Death Watch Saboteur

If you have a good fringe-only squad, I am sure that working in one of these pieces would only make it better.

Therefore, I don't think we should expect a Fringe-only squad to win a Regional, since the competition is so fierce and you need every edge you can possibly get if you hope to win.

Agreed

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:30 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

thereisnotry wrote:
swinefeld wrote:

<snip>

True. Fringe options are looking better with Scum, but still...

Kinda funny how you need fringe tech to round out a main faction squad, and the reverse is also true. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next