logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: The Naboo
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 3:56 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

So in Atlanta we had 2 Naboo deathshot squads make the Top 4. Here they are.

Phillip Gladney
Squad Name: Big Naboo Blue
Map: Peaceful City

Naboo Trooper x13
Mas Amedda
Commander Gree
Captain Panaka of Theed
Admiral Yularen
Queen Amidala
Mon Mothma
R2-D2 Astromech Droid
Spaarti Clone Trooper Demolitionist x3
Mouse Droid x2

David Weeks
Squad Name: Roll the Bones
Map: Bothan Spynet HQ

Mon Mothma
Admiral Yularen
Captain Panaka of Theed
Klatooinian Captain
Queen Amidala
R2-D2 Astromech Droid
Mas Amedda
Naboo Pilot x8
Rodian Diplomat
Spaarti Clone Trooper Demolitionist x2

Personally I think the Pilots are a better squad overall. They can charge and do really good damage without having to rely fully on the deathshot for kills. The Troopers however beat them Head to Head nearly every time. These two builds are both extremely good and very hard to counter unless you build with them in mind. I say both are easily Tier 1 caliber squads and they can beat their bad matchup (Disruptive) with some patience and practice beforehand.

Post subject: Re: The Naboo
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 6:57 pm 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Just played your version with the Naboo pilots yesterday against an imp stealth squad with tyber and lobot. He swapped G.A. Thrawn for mith thrawn cause I didn't have force users. Although I was outactivated (stupid ozzel), I loved the speed of the squad. In middle of round 2 he made a mistake of activating tyber early. I saw my opening to use r2 to tow a pilot and run him 8 to base and kill tyber knowing it would be the death of r2 but figured a 31 pnt piece is worth the trade for a 9 pnt piece. Later with one of my last activations I ran another pilot 16 to base another dude which he swaped in a diplomat and then killed him. I thought that was a brilliant counter to the death shot without any disruptive. I saw him starting to hold back and knew I couldn't press the action anymore against his stealth and him outactivating me so I pulled back my guys. With me in gambit and I have a 3 rnd gambit advantage already and up in points by quite a bit after I ran up into the open with a pilot hoping he would take the bait by killing him, which he did but he didn't see I had Los on his lobot and since he had stealth lobot was my death shot kill. He had to press the action and come to me which gave me the advantage. I found a angle on his diplomat with panaka so he can't do that stupid diplomat trick anymore and once he started pressing the action I was able to kill of most of his guys to give me the activation lead. He finally did kill off my pilots but with just thrawn and one other guy to go against my panaka, queen, klat cap and yularan, and a sparti with mothma now sitting in gambit full time he had no chance. Technically the game ended after I had enough rounds of gambit but I finished him off anyways. It is a good squad and I felt ok with it even though I made a few mistakes I never felt out of the game. Although I will say that even though it's death shots I still see a lancer played by a good lancer player will beat it 70-80 % of the time. That could just be me talking cause I got to see first hand how well Tim plays a lancer. It's no secret that Tim is one of the best lancer players out there. But I don't see Tim losing to this squad very often if he is running lancer.

My match that I just played was not against Tim, and this was in no way supposed to be a challenge thrown at him.

But to get more on track, I loved the squad and think a mouse or two could help keep your commanders alive but don't really want to take anything out to change that. Would love to hear your play reports.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:54 pm 
Major Tierce
Major Tierce

BTW the Spaarti wouldn't be able to collect gambit as he is only 4 with the Queen.

I actually beat both versions of this recently. In Chicago, I beat the pilots with the double disruptive. Out act/move up the disruptive/kill dudes and it wasn't really all that close. In PA, I beat the troopers (slightly different build with Plo as well as Mon Mothma). In that game, I just ran Mace through all his dudes to get to the commanders and started hulk smashing his commanders. Alternatively you can just kill Mas and it makes it much more difficult.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:18 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

I honestly don't see how this squad survives against Bastilla. With what went on in Atlanta and Chicago she should be a prominent figure again.

[===0=]=============>

Sentinel for Life!

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:23 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

audrisampson wrote:
I honestly don't see how this squad survives against Bastilla. With what went on in Atlanta and Chicago she should be a prominent figure again.

What else does Bastilla bring though? The Nubians are pretty decent on their own, that the loss of the death shot and other CE's isn't gamebreaking. I think fitting Lobot in would be worth it though, because then you can bring in the Czerka when facing Bastilla. But it's a meta call. Yeah, it's rough, but it is totally dependant on what else is in the OR squad. Vs shooters, yeah, it will be rough. Vs Jedi, you should be able to out last them to get you CE's back to finish the OR player off. Tough game sure, but not exactly the autoloss many people believe Bastilla to be vs these type of squads.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 6:02 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Why is mas in the pilot one? Only mothma benefits from him and 2 mouse droids would be cheaper.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 6:25 am 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

The pilot one definitely has less of a problem with Bastila, but the trooper one is more CE dependent (especially when they die) so even when the CEs are turned back on it's more difficult for the troopers to do well because they're better when they die. But like Sithborg said, it depends on what else is in Bastila's squad. If the Bastila squad leans more towards mobile shooters, good luck winning with the troopers.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 8:18 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Jedi_Master wrote:
Why is mas in the pilot one? Only mothma benefits from him and 2 mouse droids would be cheaper.

Yes, that would be better. The issue is Mon Mothma has 0 business leaving the starting area except to get gambit late rounds while your cleaning up. Also, the pilots are too fast for mice to keep up with and you run into situations where your opponent kills the mice first then they take out the pilots. Mas saves the hastle, less things to worry about the better.

The squad I ran actually handles Bastilla pretty well. It's 2-0 vs her. The first game I ran against a Cad Bane/Jaq squad that moved 1 square too close to a towed pilot. The second game was against greentimes regional squad. You get first round gambit and he doesn't. You also outact him by a wide margin, so sit in gambit and once he runs something in all the pilots still do 30 damage a hit. Panaka, Queen, and Klatoonian captain are al excellent attackers too. By that point their ce's don't work so they may as well advance and attack.

I took out jaq when he ran up to kill 2 pilots. Once that happened I was able to wait Bastilla out and crush kavar and Carth.

A big reason to go pilots over troopers is 3 point wins. Phillips troopers only made top 4 by winning a tie breaker. Troopers don't get a lot of 3 point wins because they aren't as fast. Pilots are on the other side of the map killing stuff by round 2.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:48 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I'd like to know how this squad can be beat by lancers. The lancers would die as soon as they did a twin attack.

Aliit ori'shya tal'din ("Family is more than Blood")
To learn Mandalorian, go to http://www.karentraviss.com/html/mando.htm.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:16 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

obikenobi1 wrote:
I'd like to know how this squad can be beat by lancers. The lancers would die as soon as they did a twin attack.

You don't do the twin attack.

The Grievous DAC Lancers probably DO get beat by this squad every single time, but with Whorm you just set up so you don't get the Twin. As long as you don't have a Mouse Droid too close, you're only doing 20 damage to each Naboo Trooper/Pilot, bringing them to 10 HP and not killing them. It's then really easy to use Poggle Bombs to take them out, or kill them with an IG-86 with a Mouse Droid in front, or whatever.

You could also just not strafe at all and try to go get the commanders, but if the Naboo players is playing well (or even better, has 1 or 2 Mouse Droids) that won't work on most maps.

I know that Graham has lost to the Naboo Pilots at least twice, but BOTH times were because the Lancer got a crit on one of the Pilots to kill it when he didn't want to. In this situation, you'd much rather roll a 1 than a 20, because killing a Pilot probably means you lose the Lancer.

"You can't per aspera ad astra unless there's some aspera in front of your astra. And that means sometimes the aspera gets you." - Donald X. Vaccarino

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:20 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

urbanjedi wrote:
BTW the Spaarti wouldn't be able to collect gambit as he is only 4 with the Queen.

I actually beat both versions of this recently. In Chicago, I beat the pilots with the double disruptive. Out act/move up the disruptive/kill dudes and it wasn't really all that close. In PA, I beat the troopers (slightly different build with Plo as well as Mon Mothma). In that game, I just ran Mace through all his dudes to get to the commanders and started hulk smashing his commanders. Alternatively you can just kill Mas and it makes it much more difficult.

Hulk Smash Puny Commanders!

CE's make Hulk angry!