One of The Ones

urbanjedi wrote:
I won (Jason Kiernan)
Tim Ballard 2nd
Mike ? 3rd
Bill G 4th

More to come tomorrow after I get some slepe

Actually it was:

Bill German 3rd (Republic Death shots with new Panaka, Pilots, Yularen, etc)
Mike Samuels 4th (Mitthrawn, Celeste Morne, 5 Jedi-Sith Clones, rancor keeper, fodder)

Mike got smoked by Bill in the Swiss and conceded 3rd place to Bill G. They didn't play for it.

Jake K made up the squad that Mike S ended up running and brought it for Jonny. (Jonny asked for a squad since his pieces are packed or something) Then Jonny said he wasn't going to play - but we had a last minute local say he would play if he had a squad. Jake handed it to him minutes before he started. He went 3-1 with it and made the top 4. Pretty impressive if you ask me.

Jonny then decided to play (if you know Jonny - none of this is surprising), but we had given that squad away. I gave him my TILE WARS squad, and he modified it slightly so it had door control (don't need it in TILE WARS!). He ran Republic Death shots with Naboo Soldiers, new Panaka, Yularen, Gree, Typho, etc.)

I decided to play something well out of my comfort zone, and I was honestly expecting to go 2-2 for the day. I was surprised it did as well as it did. I had some luck when I needed it, and played pretty decent to make it as far as I did. I went 4-0 in Swiss.

Sith were a single save roll at the end of the game in the finals away from winning their first regional ever. Jason made the save thought bomb save with Han to keep him alive, and give him the 2pt win.

Here's what I ran

--'JAQ'ed up!--
62 Darth Revan, Sith Lord
36 Atton "Jaq" Rand
36 Lord Kaan
27 Lobot
16 Grand Admiral Rulf Yage
14 Exar Kun, Dark Force Spirit
6 Mouse Droid x2
3 Rodian Brute

(200pts. 9 activations)

I was surprised to beat Jason in Swiss with his net-decked exact copy of Daniel S's GenCon championship winning squad from 2 years ago. (Reeiken, Dodanna, Madine, Luke commando, 2 ERC, Leia, Han Smuggler, Juno, Lobot, etc). It was my first 2 point win this year (Not surprising it was a 2pt win, since he had 22 activations). I don't know how that game would ever finish in an hour barring the Sith playing really stupid and throwing themselves into the middle to die fast. Anyway - I somehow was ahead when time was called, and got the win. I was convinced I stood no chance in the rematch in the finals, but I had the win in my hands and let it slip through my fingers. Very disappointing finish, for multiple reasons.

Sith winning would have been the cinderella story for the year.

Congrats to Jason

Post subject: Re: IL (Chicago) Regional MAY 19th
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 5:45 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

1. How many players?
2. How was tile wars?
3. How many from Chicago played?
4. Faction breakdowns?

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 6:12 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Depressingly low turnout. But not a scrub in the bunch. 5 hall-of-famers. 4 states represented.

I think final count was 11.

Bad weekend to pick for Chicago. Stupid Nato summit lost some perhaps. Others just flaked. We had a lot of people last minute cancel or no-show, not to mention other timing issues for some people.

Jason (MI) - Rebels
Tim (Chicago) - Sith
Bill G (MO) - Republic
Mike S (Chicago) - Imps
Lou (MI) Imps - (Spry's PA winning squad)
Bill R (Chicago burbs) - NR beef
Laura K (MI) - Republic (Mace in your face - with amazing avenger themed customs!)
Matt (Chicago burbs) - OR (Revanchist, Atton, Bastilla, etc)
Jonny (Chicago burbs) - Republic (Naboo soldier death shots)
Jake K (Chicago burbs) - New Republic (Corran JM, Winter, Leia Skywalker, Klat. Capt.)
Shawn (WI) - Jake K's 2011 Spitting Nom Bombs with Cad Bane Vong squad with minor twists

People were lame about TILE WARS. 2-3 people who would have played were in the final 4, but many others decided they would rather sit around or leave early. Jake and Shawn still played, and had a blast.

Jake K - 2012 TILE WARS Chicago Regional champion!

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 6:16 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

TimmerB123 wrote:
Jason (MI) - Rebels
Tim (Chicago) - Sith
Bill G (MO) - Republic
Mike S (Chicago) - Imps
Lou (MI) Imps - (Spry's PA winning squad)
Bill R (Chicago burbs) - NR beef
Laura K (MI) - Republic (Mace in your face - with amazing avenger themed customs!)
Matt (Chicago burbs) - OR (Revanchist, Atton, Bastilla, etc)
Jonny (Chicago burbs) - Republic (Naboo soldier death shots)
Jake K (Chicago burbs) - New Republic (Corran JM, Winter, Leia Skywalker, Klat. Capt.)
Shawn (WI) - Jake K's 2011 Spitting Nom Bombs with Cad Bane Vong squad with minor twists

Yeah, that's a really strong, really varied, field. Is that the correct finishing order for everyone?

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 6:44 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Something close. Top 6 yes, not exactly sure of the rest

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 7:47 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

any previews from chicago regional??

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 9:12 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Location: Yes, I am yet another Canadian. Keeping the game alive on life support in the GTA.
It's like you guys had an exclusive HOF Invitational Regional. It's almost like you guys went to a top 8 table at the big show.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 10:05 pm 
Major Tierce
Major Tierce

Here is my report.

After the regionals that had happened so far, I had heard alot of rumbling about how all the new pieces far outclassed the old WOTC pieces. I knew this wasn't true and looked for a squad to try and prove this true. In a recent post somewhere TheHutts had referenced Daniel's 2010 Champs winning squad. I hadn't ever played anything like that in a tournament so decided to see if Rebs were still competitive. I dropped Obi Force Ghost for Juno and the double disruptive.

Han Smuggler
Luke RC
Princess Leia
Crix
2x ERC
Reeiken
Dodonna
Gha
Juno
Lobot
4x mice

Rd 1 Bill R and NR beats
Drew Bill right off the bat. Brought in Cantina Greedo and proceeded to stick a guy in rounds 2,3, and 4 to keep Mara from assaulting before she died, and Jaden from doing much of anything. 3 points

Rd 2 Jonny and deathshots
Jonny didn't really put up much fight this round so said I'm gonna run all my guys straight ahead, and you bring Momaw and see if you can kill them all with War Throat. I did and then the game was over. Even had Jonny been more serious I still beat him with the double disruptive. 6 pts

Rd 3 Tim and Sith
I bring MTB and mice. I put tons of damage on all his dudes but can't kill any of them until it doesn't matter. Luke misses 2 of 3 (re-roll) on Jaq to not kill him needing 6s. The game goes downhill fast after that. 6 pts

Rd 4 Bill G and Pilot Deathshots
He couldn't do much against the double disruptive. I failed every evade save that game and it still didn't help close the gap. 9 pts

Semis Mike with the thrown together Imps
We were on ravaged base and I took MTB and mice again and just played door tricks, killing 2 or 3 dudes every round. He did get to turn Reeiken into a Rak and got off a couple good Blaster Barrages off with Arica, but by then the game was already over and it didn't matter.

Finals vs Tim again.
Same tactics as before. Pick off guys and try to set up good moves. Tim was having none of it. and trying to get to my guys as well. Finally killed off Luke and some ERCs Gha and time was called. I counted it all out and figured out I could just barely win. I had to move all my dudes, in the correct order, have Leia hit Lobot (needs a 9), have Han hit Kaan with the Leia shot (just made that one) and have Han not die to the Thought Bomb (Tim could have used illusion instead but either way the outcome is the same). Han made it and survived and I won by something like 12 or 15 points.

After playing this squad, I have even more respect for Dan and his 2010 champs run. For me, this squad was agonizing to play as anyone who knows I am very aggressive and want to get in there and kill stuff and this squad is much, much more reactive. But, I did set out to do what I wanted which was to show that WOTC stuff (and rebels) are still quite competitive. I can also say that I combined fire more in the tourney, than I have in my entire life as the rebels can't hit a darn thing. Needless to say, I won't be playing a squad like this again anytime soon.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 6:24 am 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

Nice job Jason, and nice use of Lobot! I always like when a squad, and the person playing it, are out to prove a point.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 7:18 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

urbanjedi wrote:
After playing this squad, I have even more respect for Dan and his 2010 champs run. For me, this squad was agonizing to play as anyone who knows I am very aggressive and want to get in there and kill stuff and this squad is much, much more reactive. But, I did set out to do what I wanted which was to show that WOTC stuff (and rebels) are still quite competitive. I can also say that I combined fire more in the tourney, than I have in my entire life as the rebels can't hit a darn thing. Needless to say, I won't be playing a squad like this again anytime soon.

Awesome. :lol:

The squad is definitely VERY reactive. My play style varies wildly depending on what kind of squad I'm playing; if I'm playing a very defensive squad with characters like GOWK or Zannah, I'll be super aggressive. If I'm playing a glass-cannon type squad like this one, I play very reactively. It's also interesting that you brought in the MTB and Mice multiple times. I almost never did, just because that's not the way I played the squad. The way I ran it, if I got into a position where I HAD to win initiative, I was doing something wrong. It's a nice option since you have so much Cunning damage, but I would generally just make sure I was safe at the end of the round (which I could do since it outactivates most squads) so if I didn't win init, no big deal. That's why my favorite Reinforcements choices for this squad were either the 10 Mice (to outactivate, but more importantly to build protective walls) or a Gamorrean BG and an R7 (to take advantage of a huge amount of Override and the BG means often that I can lose initiative and not lose any characters). It's a weird squad because you really need to outactivate, and play very cagey while they still have attackers left and then when they're done activating you need to rush out, drop a lot of damage, and then move back to safety. You have to be very careful about the order in which you do things, because it matters a lot. And yes, combining fire is very important. :)

I think it's funny that your goal was to prove that Rebels could still be competitive, because I was planning on doing the exact same thing soon. The thing that has surprised me is how little Bastila there has been. Out of 34 squads played this weekend, only 3 were Bastila squads, and none finished really highly (Richard L. did the best getting 7th in a field of 23, Matt also got 7th in a field of 11). In PA there were actually NO Bastila squads. Bastila has made Rebels (at least Rebels like this) Tier 1.5 because she's a miserable auto-loss for them, but hardly anyone is playing her! Graham benefited from this also, as Lancer can definitely be a pain for the single Lancer squad (it's much less of a problem, though). If you can go through a tournament and not play against her, Rebels are still good. If you have to play against her in the top 4, though, good luck.

"You can't per aspera ad astra unless there's some aspera in front of your astra. And that means sometimes the aspera gets you." - Donald X. Vaccarino

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 3:10 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

Congrats to Jason! That makes two firsts and a second by my reckoning.

Impressive, most impressive!