24 Republic Commando Darman
24 Republic Commando Fi
21 Admiral Yularen
19 Republic Commando - Boss
16 Republic Commando - Sev
5 Rodian Diplomat
10 Spaarti Clone Trooper Demolitionist x2

(198pts. 11 activations)

I just played this squad tonight and it performed very well, and was lots of fun. I'd like to see how this squad holds up to a Bastilla squad, seeing as all the commando's still gain Shields 2 and Synchronized Fire even with ABM active. Boss gives both Sev and Atin more range to use Accurate Shot. Atin's Final Shot is soooo very nice when paired with Boss's CE, cause he can shoot for 40, then finish for 70 against a activated target at 50hp (80dmg if a Order 66 combines fire). Fi & Darman both can shoot for 80 dmg and Niner can do 60. Sev can shoot for 40 with deadeye (twice with Boss's CE) and Boss can himself do a respectable 30 dmg. The RD is in there to make a barrier of sorts for Stealth on my commandos to work and for SS to not work within 6 squares. The commando's with Shields 2 are really hard to take out. Comments and suggestions for making a better squad would be appreciated.

Aliit ori'shya tal'din ("Family is more than Blood")
To learn Mandalorian, go to http://www.karentraviss.com/html/mando.htm.

Post subject: Re: Omega Squad
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:09 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

i like this idea actually but heres a few thoughts to roll around:
Without activation control which everyone seems to think would be "broke" in republic..yularens useless. I do REALLY like yularen but its more trouble to make the 21 points work without AC. Also, it would be splendid to see some Captain Rex goin on here lol nothing more frusterating then poppin outa cover shooting and goin back under cover. Id drop yularen, boss, sev, and a spaarti and add Rex, Doombot, Mas, R7, Uggie, and a gran.
This gives your shooters the pleasure of being a headache and doombot allows your accurate shooter to fly around and pop hella shots. I like 1 spaarti cuz they are decent and can hold gambit also extra door control. Doombot has it but R7 is also a good choice to help open up shooting lanes.
Great concept!I hope these ideas help you make it better even if you only use some of them.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:49 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I played (very badly) Rex/R2/Rodian/Ugg in place of Yularen/Boss/Sev at Owensboro, against 2 OR squads with Kavar/Jaq/Carth/Senator/Bastila, and also Corran Smash. Talk about an uphill battle!

Rex/R2 is definitely worth it, as squishy non-accurate shooters aren't safe if they are close to the action, and can't shoot much of anything if they aren't.

The combined fire really helps if you can position for it. (I didn't do a very good job there) If I play it again I might just drop Niner and one of my 2 Rodians for old Cody and a couple more Spaarti, and try to use the CF bonuses more. The extra damage is via CE either way, so ABM screws that up, but at least you can hit more shots. Wall Climber would have been a big help in 2 of my games, if not all 3. Rex with WC is nasty in the right circumstances. I was playing Rhen Var, so plenty of wall space to hug. :)

I definitely like Yularen if there is way to get the acts up a bit without losing too much. They really need an attack boost against higher defenses, and extra damage is always welcome!

edit:
Atin using the Boss CE followed by a Final Shot is great. Think I'll have to try this as is and see how it plays. The mobility with Rex is hard to pass up though. I recall that after losing him in my games I was being forced to move a lot of the time to get a good target, so I was losing double.

So I guess I don't really have any suggestions to make it better, just different :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:05 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

--Omega Squad 2.0--
30 Republic Commando Training Sergeant
27 Lobot
25 Republic Commando Niner
24 Republic Commando Atin
21 Admiral Yularen
4 Peace Brigade Thug

(200pts. 11 activations)

Here's a revamped version based on what people have said so far. I considered adding Rex, and while its nice that he gives the squad mobility and is a solid shooter, I had no clue what to drop without taking away from the attack of the other commando's plus the fact that Boss already gives the squad a lot of mobility of sorts with his CE. Yularen giving Opportunist is quite nice when you can hit people at +14 for 40 dmg a hit. I took out the Rodian diplomat and RC Fi, and put in Lobot and a PBT for overide and more combining fire. I like the options that Lobot can bring in. If playing against a GOWK/Windu squad, I'd bring in a Human Force Adept (for 3 Force Alters to counter Mace's Crits), and Salicious Crumb and a Caamasi Noble. I do miss having Fi in the squad as he gave more firepower, but I think having Lobot will help give the squad more flexibility to counter more top teir squads. Any thoughts on this newer version? I'm trying to perfect it into the most competitive Commando squad possible.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:39 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

The option to tweak the tech is nice. Good idea on the HFA too :)

One thing about Fi that I think might have been overlooked a few times in my games is his Traps. It's pretty hard to use all 4 Omegas and have enough room for other stuff. The 30 points spent on the RCTS is very limiting, and any Omega you drop takes something good with them. My Shields saves were awful, which hurt a lot.

I like what you have going in this version, the flexibility should help.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:11 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Actually, if you come up against Mace, an R4 and/or Wicket might be better Reinforcement choices than a HFA; just keep your guys spread out enough so that Mace can't make use of his flurry after a crit. If you drop his Defense down to 14 (lol) or 18 in cover, then he won't last the round anyway. If you kept Fi in the squad somehow, you would have more freedom because you'd already have Traps. Personally, I'd rather lose Boss than either Fi or Rex.

And if you face GOWK/Mace, then there is no other option: you must take the R4 along with Traps. Either way, I think Lobot is a very important choice for a squad like this, because he helps so much to fill in some of the squad's weakspots.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:31 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

thereisnotry wrote:
Actually, if you come up against Mace, an R4 and/or Wicket might be better Reinforcement choices than a HFA; just keep your guys spread out enough so that Mace can't make use of his flurry after a crit. If you drop his Defense down to 14 (lol) or 18 in cover, then he won't last the round anyway. If you kept Fi in the squad somehow, you would have more freedom because you'd already have Traps. Personally, I'd rather lose Boss than either Fi or Rex.

And if you face GOWK/Mace, then there is no other option: you must take the R4 along with Traps. Either way, I think Lobot is a very important choice for a squad like this, because he helps so much to fill in some of the squad's weakspots.

Yeah, Traps is really nice to have. But so is Boss. That flexibility you have to fire twice with Atin or Sev is just to good to pass up. In the game I played, Atin got to fire off two accuarate sniper shots in a row during that round. I love Sev and Atin with Boss. Boss gives the squad range, which it lacks without Rex giving GMA. I think I'll drop Darman and having Fi in there again. That way you have Overide and Advanced Door Gimmick. I like Darmans Grendaes 40 and Satchel Charge (always nice to have a Satchel Charge that won't die to Yobuck), but probably in the long run, having Traps is more usefull.

--Omega Squad 2.1--
27 Lobot
24 Republic Commando Fi
21 Admiral Yularen
4 Peace Brigade Thug

(200pts. 11 activations)

I'm thinking this might be better than 2.0. I think it could handle a GOWK/Mace squad. I like the idea of adding a R4 into the squad to lower Mace's defense even more. I think the HFA is probably the cheapest best counter to Mace, aside from spreading your forces out to avoid his flurry's. I think making him reroll crits with Force Alter should lower his effectiveness greatly, as Sheilds 2 should soak up most damage he does normally. Thanks for all the input guys! Anymore suggestions would be great to fix any weaknesses the squad has.

[edited: per ruling on Final Shot being used only on the characters turn]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:26 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Just tried my Omega Squad 2.1 group and they beat a Thrawn swap squad with Lord Vader, Jareal, Pelleaon, Ozzel, Lobot and lots of fodder in a 1 hour tourney style match on vassal. He was able to get up close to my guys in one round with Vader, but Shields 2 made it so that he could only kill one of my guys if he went for a Rage/Sweep, so he opted for a Rage/Overwhelming Force on RC Atin. I lost Atin, but he lost the game that round cause I simple attacked Vader with RC Fi and Boss/Sev for 190 dmg by combining fire with all my sparti's, Sev, and Niner. That damage boost from the RCTS is really handy. I had brought in 3 Camaasi Nobles and Salicious Crumb to make a wall and make it difficult for Vader to swap in and back out. He killed Salicious first round, but that set it up so that he could only kill one thing next round on his won init. Overall, the squad did really well and proved that it can handle Thrawn/Ozzel swap squads. I played on Muunlist Square Plaza to allow for good shooting options and places for cover to get stealth to work.

Id like to see how this squad holds up to a GOWK/Mace squad. I think it stands a good chance of winning if played right.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:57 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Cool, nicely done. Long live combined fire! :)

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:21 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Well, after doing some more playtesting with this squad, I decided to revamp it to have more firepower and mobility so that it can handle Bastilla a little bit better. So I dropped Yularen, Lobot, a Spaarti, Boss and Sev. I added Darman, Rex, Doombot, Gree and a Rodian Diplomat.

--Omega Squad 3.0--
33 Captain Rex
24 Republic Commando Fi
20 Commander Gree
9 R2-D2, Astromech Droid
5 Rodian Diplomat
5 Spaarti Clone Trooper Demolitionist

(199pts. 10 activations)

I would like to find out a way to have Lobot in this squad without taking away from it to much. I was finding that getting Opportunist was really hard to do with the 2.0 squad and Yularen wasn't contributing to much. Gree on the other hand gives a constant +4 bonus as long as you keep your guys together, not to mention he has Order 66 and can combine fire just like the sparrti I dropped. I went 2-0 with this squad yesterday against a Seperatist squad with Chmaelon Droids and a Bastilla/Kavar/Thon squad. I was a little worried about the Seps, but in the end, I used Atin to kill key peices and lower his firepower. Thoughts on improvements? Feedback would be great! I'm trying to get this squad ready for regionals, so I think it can handle Bastilla well enough and a few other squad's I'm expecting to see in the regional.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 11:22 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

obikenobi1 wrote:
I went 2-0 with this squad yesterday against a Seperatist squad with Chmaelon Droids and a Bastilla/Kavar/Thon squad. I was a little worried about the Seps, but in the end, I used Atin to kill key peices and lower his firepower. Thoughts on improvements? Feedback would be great!

Well, for starters, I wouldn't stop worrying about the chameleon droids. 6 hits out of 18 shots that need a 7 or higher to hit and multiple misses on your R2 needing a 5 or better kinda killed any play testing value that game had. :lol:

The squad is very vulnerable to accurate shooters I noticed. Your commanders need to be within 6 most of the time and they are the easiest to hit in the squad as well (though you still have the shields so not too bad). Also, I would hate to see what would happen to it in a better tempo control squad (mouse droid bomb) as you only have 5 rounds worth of movement.

I know rex is your favorite lil mini but I would suggest removing him. Clone Commander Bacara would be a better fit and remove most of the problems I mentioned. Yeah, mobile double is good, invisibility is better. Besides, slowing your advance would help you specifically so I don't get 3 shots at R2 so early and you won't lose Bacara before everybody else like you tend to with rex. That and Bacara costs 10 less so you can throw in mas or some mouse droids or something to up the number of activations.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 2:14 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Jedi_Master wrote:
obikenobi1 wrote:
I went 2-0 with this squad yesterday against a Seperatist squad with Chmaelon Droids and a Bastilla/Kavar/Thon squad. I was a little worried about the Seps, but in the end, I used Atin to kill key peices and lower his firepower. Thoughts on improvements? Feedback would be great!

Well, for starters, I wouldn't stop worrying about the chameleon droids. 6 hits out of 18 shots that need a 7 or higher to hit and multiple misses on your R2 needing a 5 or better kinda killed any play testing value that game had. :lol:

The squad is very vulnerable to accurate shooters I noticed. Your commanders need to be within 6 most of the time and they are the easiest to hit in the squad as well (though you still have the shields so not too bad). Also, I would hate to see what would happen to it in a better tempo control squad (mouse droid bomb) as you only have 5 rounds worth of movement.

I know rex is your favorite lil mini but I would suggest removing him. Clone Commander Bacara would be a better fit and remove most of the problems I mentioned. Yeah, mobile double is good, invisibility is better. Besides, slowing your advance would help you specifically so I don't get 3 shots at R2 so early and you won't lose Bacara before everybody else like you tend to with rex. That and Bacara costs 10 less so you can throw in mas or some mouse droids or something to up the number of activations.

Yes, Bacara would give protection against accurate shot, but out of the regionals I've seen results from so far, Accurate shooters aren't that common. The only person I'd be worried about losing to an accurate shooter is Gree. Niner can take hits, and if Gree is the only reason to drop one of my best attackers and damage dealers, I don't think its a very good trade off. Having Rex gives the squad more firepower, and as far as tempo control goes and being outactivated by billions of mice, yeah that is every republic squad's worst nightmare, because there isn't a counter for it in the faction, so adding a few more activation's at the cost of firepower won't help IMO.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 3:39 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

The training sergeant is currently the far better choice over Bacara, due to Strafers and Big Beats being fairly prevalent. You only need one of the two, and in no way should you drop Rex. Too good, especially with Omega.