logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Re: IG Lancer Droid vs Scout Trooper on Speeder Bike
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 6:54 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Echo wrote:
I just think that the list is for one thing kind of unfair because it's far from comprehensive.

Far from comprehensive? I may have missed a few, but it's fairly thorough for realistic tools you would add to the squad. (Which was the original intent, which again, it's my fault I didn't make clear.)

Echo wrote:
"Access to Double Attack"; the Speeder would have to pay for Vader, the Lancer can get it from a Geonosian Overseer.

A little outside the box, and I don't quite think either would be Meta for a speeder squad, but I can put that in. Strafers essentially have double greater mobile when they strafe.

Access to Double Attack: Lancer - Geonosian Overseer, 16 pts (SA - within 6, Non-Unique droid followers only), Commando Droid Captain 24 pts (CE - within 6, droid followers only), Grievous Scourge of the Jedi, 63pts (CE - within 6, droid followers only). Speeder - Darth Vader, LotF, 71 pts (CE - boardwide with Mas, all allies)

Echo wrote:
Graham made the point very well that it's just too hard to compare these two pieces. Yeah, they're both strafe attackers, but the squads (and factions) that they are in work SO DIFFERENTLY that comparing them in this specific way doesn't seem particularly fruitful.

Really? I play them very similar. Devastate a squad with deep strikes that kill many smaller pieces and hurt bigger ones, often killing off all but the beatsticks (ie - their tech and support), then wear down what's left with the rest of your team. There's a reason I was drawn to experimenting with speeders, being an experienced Lancer player. Saying they function SO DIFFERENTLY is actually silly to me.

Echo wrote:
You could definitely compare a fully built Lancer squad to a fully built Speeder squad

I thought that's what I was doing, but breaking it down further. There are a lot of little variables at the end to come up with very similar squads (how many single lancer variants did Graham and I play last year, that were all 75% the same?).

So I just wanted to compare the meat and potatoes of the squads, and not quibble about how many uggies to add.

Echo wrote:
heck, you could even just play them against each other

As already stated several times - Playing them against each other is pointless. Lancer squad actually facing a Speeder squad is Lancer's win 9/10 times.

Echo wrote:
or play them both against 10 other different squads and compare the results. That would be pretty meaningful.

Yes, YESSSS!!! You finally get it, this is what I wanted all along! How would each of these squads fare in this Meta, against other top squads. For example, Lancer vs Mace - not good. Speeder vs Mace, better.

Last edited by TimmerB123 on Mon May 07, 2012 7:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 6:56 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

The_Celestial_Warrior wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:
R5Don4 wrote:
Doesn't Indiscriminate let you attack characters with Flight?

Holy crap I have never thought about that!

Does it?

It seems like it shouldn't, but based on the wording . . .

(Still would be another draw category)

Flight does not prevent characters from attacking...it simply ignores them. Only Jedi Reflexes allows you to ignore Flight.

OK - phew! Thought I totally missed something

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:19 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

TheHutts wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:
Number of figures with Reflect = 4 (none really in the meta)

Vader, Legacy of the Force shows up occasionally in GARY squads too.

(PS. I've been enjoying reading the thread, and I don't want to annoy anyone, I just wanted to point out that Mace LotLS has been turning up at Regionals quite often, still a reflect 10 with a save11, is nowhere as scary as Djem So/Riposte is for a Lancer...)

Valid points on both accounts.

Vader LotF has peeked his head out, (but barely, and hasn't made the top 4 anywhere).

A pawned Lancer will likely die twin-strafing Mace (with 2 or more FPs). It would be an insane miracle if a full life speeder died from twin strafing mace. Even with the extra twin at the end, unlikely to ever happen.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:25 pm 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

TimmerB123 wrote:
I thought that's what I was doing, but breaking it down further. There are a lot of little variables at the end to come up with very similar squads (how many single lancer variants did Graham and I play last year, that were all 75% the same?).

Eh, I dunno about that. First you had the single lancer with Nute Gunray, then I built the version without Nute and with bombs, and then later on you built the version with two lancers, no bombs, and one less IG-86. No one plays the Nute version anymore because Nute is depressing and sucks, but both of the other versions, IMHO, can still win games. Just not as well as last year!

With the speeder we have your version with two speeders and large swap fodder, a version with just one speeder that uses it more as a sideshow than the main event, and the squad Daniel has to play with one speeder that he hates because he doesn't like playing anything with strafe and it makes his head hurt.

I think most lancer builds will smoke the Imperial speeder builds, and probably Weir squads in general, unless the Imperial player gets a really good swap and strafe in first. But, as you say, the speeder squad has a big advantage over Mace Windu. It isn't as bad for lancer as it might seem at first, but it isn't great. Neither squad is what I really want to be playing against bombs or deathshots; neither one is that afraid of Bastila (for different reasons). The Echani squad is uncomfortably close to autoloss for the lancer but very winnable for Weir if they can get Nyna in the squad.

Personally I don't think either one is a really good meta choice right now, unfortunately (since these are squads I really like to play). Especially because it looks as though deathshots are starting to appear again. Matt Spry lost to them in PA and several people were already planning on bringing them to Atlanta. Bombs are annoying enough, but at least you can work around them or take a few hits and run away. That doesn't work against someone shooting you for 40, 30, 30, 30.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:44 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

greentime wrote:
I think most lancer builds will smoke the Imperial speeder builds, and probably Weir squads in general, unless the Imperial player gets a really good swap and strafe in first. But, as you say, the speeder squad has a big advantage over Mace Windu. It isn't as bad for lancer as it might seem at first, but it isn't great. Neither squad is what I really want to be playing against bombs or deathshots; neither one is that afraid of Bastila (for different reasons).

Basically agree with all this

greentime wrote:
The Echani squad is uncomfortably close to autoloss for the lancer but very winnable for Weir if they can get Nyna in the squad.

Really? Depends on the map I guess, but the lancer can smoke every Echani in one pass.

I beat Jason at MI Regionals with a speeder without Nyna. I went undefeated in Swiss, and lost a close one to another Weir squad in the semis. People seem to forget this.

greentime wrote:
Personally I don't think either one is a really good meta choice right now, unfortunately (since these are squads I really like to play). Especially because it looks as though deathshots are starting to appear again. Matt Spry lost to them in PA and several people were already planning on bringing them to Atlanta. Bombs are annoying enough, but at least you can work around them or take a few hits and run away. That doesn't work against someone shooting you for 40, 30, 30, 30.

Yes - good point. Ultimately I think you are right.

Although - I remember beating a Deathshots squad a few years back in the last round of swiss at the GenCon champs with my lancer. Remember one thing: You cannot lock commanders in a room and still gain their CEs, even with Mas. Open the door - commanders are susceptible to being strafed.

Oh - and you can shoot a death shooter with a lancer and stick a mouse droid in front. Can't do that with a Lancer. ;)

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:44 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

TimmerB123 wrote:
Daniel, I'll be honest. This post made me a little disappointed in you. I consider you to be a very good player and an intelligent person. But it really feels like you reacted emotionally to this thread. For someone who plays light side so often you sure are acting like a Sith. Let go of your hatred. Look - I understand you are upset because you have to play a speeder bike at a regional because you lost a bet. I am not trying to start a fight - just trying to open civil discussion.

Perhaps it's my fault for not being clear. I was never comparing how a lancer squad would do in a direct match versus a speeder squad. Lancer would smoke it. That wasn't the point.

I was thinking about more how to build a Lancer squad vs how to bulid a Speeder squad, and how each of those squads would fare vs the Meta right now. There are advantages and disadvantages to both.

Wait, what?

I think you're taking my post in completely the wrong way. Who's fighting? Who's being uncivil? Heck, who's upset? I can promise you I didn't react emotionally to your post at all. I just think you're wrong! That doesn't mean I'm upset, or mad, or want to fight, or emotional, or any other way you want to say that. I just disagree.

And I think I did understand what your point was. I certainly know it wasn't about whether a Lancer squad would beat a Speeder squad, because that's not hard to figure out. I just think that your base hypothesis is wrong. I don't even disagree with the results; I think it probably is "inconclusive" whether a Lancer squad or a Speeder squad is better. The method that you posted, though, by just listing all the things the two pieces can do and all the bonuses they can get is a really poor way of figuring out how either piece works in the meta. I don't think it's useful at all to compare them in this way. To get a useful comparison of how a Lancer squad would work in the meta vs. how a Speeder squad would work in the meta you need to actually compare real squads, not make a list of everything the individual piece could get. I criticized the list for not being comprehensive, but that's not even important. Even if it were completely, 100% comprehensive, I don't see how a list like this could wind up being much more than "inconclusive". It's just inherently not a conclusive test by any means.

Discussing "Speeder vs. Lancer" is fine, but your original post is just a flawed way of having that discussion in my opinion. Maybe I'm the one that didn't make my point clear enough, because that was it.

"You can't per aspera ad astra unless there's some aspera in front of your astra. And that means sometimes the aspera gets you." - Donald X. Vaccarino

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:23 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Echo wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:
Daniel, I'll be honest. This post made me a little disappointed in you. I consider you to be a very good player and an intelligent person. But it really feels like you reacted emotionally to this thread. For someone who plays light side so often you sure are acting like a Sith. Let go of your hatred. Look - I understand you are upset because you have to play a speeder bike at a regional because you lost a bet. I am not trying to start a fight - just trying to open civil discussion.

Perhaps it's my fault for not being clear. I was never comparing how a lancer squad would do in a direct match versus a speeder squad. Lancer would smoke it. That wasn't the point.

I was thinking about more how to build a Lancer squad vs how to bulid a Speeder squad, and how each of those squads would fare vs the Meta right now. There are advantages and disadvantages to both.

Wait, what?

I think you're taking my post in completely the wrong way. Who's fighting? Who's being uncivil? Heck, who's upset? I can promise you I didn't react emotionally to your post at all. I just think you're wrong! That doesn't mean I'm upset, or mad, or want to fight, or emotional, or any other way you want to say that. I just disagree.

And I think I did understand what your point was. I certainly know it wasn't about whether a Lancer squad would beat a Speeder squad, because that's not hard to figure out. I just think that your base hypothesis is wrong. I don't even disagree with the results; I think it probably is "inconclusive" whether a Lancer squad or a Speeder squad is better. The method that you posted, though, by just listing all the things the two pieces can do and all the bonuses they can get is a really poor way of figuring out how either piece works in the meta. I don't think it's useful at all to compare them in this way. To get a useful comparison of how a Lancer squad would work in the meta vs. how a Speeder squad would work in the meta you need to actually compare real squads, not make a list of everything the individual piece could get. I criticized the list for not being comprehensive, but that's not even important. Even if it were completely, 100% comprehensive, I don't see how a list like this could wind up being much more than "inconclusive". It's just inherently not a conclusive test by any means.

Discussing "Speeder vs. Lancer" is fine, but your original post is just a flawed way of having that discussion in my opinion. Maybe I'm the one that didn't make my point clear enough, because that was it.

Oh this is funny. I did think you were a bit worked up, but I never really thought you were ANGRY. I was overstating to make a joke. (I mean really - could you take "Let go of your hatred" seriously?)

I do know that Lancers AND Speeders are not your style of play. And I do think you are a little salty on having to play a speeder squad at a regional, and that is fueling some of the response.

But - ultimately my initial post was to get the "speeder vs lancer" discussion going. I figured that was the starting point, people would add categories, people would discuss squad specifics, people would discuss match-ups, etc. It was meant to be a starting point, not an end all.

So - to that end, I liked (and hoped from the begining it would go there) where you were starting to go with this. How does a speeder squad fare vs: . . . Ditto for Lancer.

What prompted the initial discussion between Deri and myself was how many counters to melee there are vs adjacent non-melee attacks (ie a strafe)

Evade is moot when adjacent, Parry is not. Soresu doesn't work on either. Block vs deflect is close to a wash (as far as # of characters with each).

But the biggest deal (which I already stated) is how much riposte/DjemSo there is vs how much reflect. And with the 1 exception of Vader LotF, reflect isn't that scary. I mean 10 times as many (40 vs 4) is a shocking amount, even I didn't know it was that high until I counted it out.

If we take away disruptive, distraction and ABM - I think Speeder wins hands down. That is a big "if" of course.

When a main enemy on many teams is a riposter with MotF2 or has Djem-so - Lancer is hosed. That is not infrequent in this meta.

The Lancer strafes further, and that is huge. But with lower activations in this meta, not as huge as it used to be.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 12:34 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

With the Scout on Speeder being so sucessful, I'm surprised others haven't tried to make the Clone or Commando Speeders work. There are interesting options for both.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:04 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Sithborg wrote:
With the Scout on Speeder being so sucessful, I'm surprised others haven't tried to make the Clone or Commando Speeders work. There are interesting options for both.

I have explored it thoroughly. It's the 62 pts that you have to pay for Emp SL that kills it. Maybe in Epic - but in 200 it's just too much to spend. Even if you Pelleaon him out afterward, it just doesn't work.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:07 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Sithborg wrote:

Lack of swap for it in Republic is kind of a bummer, but seems like there are still some options without trying to force it into Empire. Maybe not enough left to back it up though.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:17 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Sithborg wrote:

Could make for an awesome Tile wars squad. 2 Speeders with Thrawn, Weir, GARY, and Tarkin. Win init and Strafe the crap out of everything then follow with a zap from palps to kill stuff.

62 Palps
32 Thrawn
56 x2 Clone Speeders
28 Weir
16 Gary

....wait nm still doesn't work. Palps costs too much for it to work properly. If only at some point this was thought of by the V-set design team a squad like that could be decent. :maul:

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:19 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Lancer and Scout on Speeder are two compeletly different squads. It would stand to reason that using the Clone or Commando speeders would be different.

I can see something fun with the Clone. Toss in Bacara for the +10 Dam. Probably a stat boost. Heck, with the possible increase of Jedi/Force Attuned Reflexes, toss in CC Gree to prevent AoOs. It would play more Lancer like.

With the Commando, it would have to play almost the opposite of the Scout. Cunning +20 is nice enough, and you could try for Twin with Page to really make it a mess when they get close up. The Commando could actually be pretty brutal support for commando squads. Or, you could just use Stormin Han to get a psuedo Lancer yourself.

And seriously, not everything has to be a copy to Tim's squad. Ramming the Clone into Imperials just doesn't work. There are a few good Trooper CE's in Republic.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:30 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Sithborg wrote:
Lancer and Scout on Speeder are two compeletly different squads. It would stand to reason that using the Clone or Commando speeders would be different.

I can see something fun with the Clone. Toss in Bacara for the +10 Dam. Probably a stat boost. Heck, with the possible increase of Jedi/Force Attuned Reflexes, toss in CC Gree to prevent AoOs. It would play more Lancer like.

With the Commando, it would have to play almost the opposite of the Scout. Cunning +20 is nice enough, and you could try for Twin with Page to really make it a mess when they get close up. The Commando could actually be pretty brutal support for commando squads. Or, you could just use Stormin Han to get a psuedo Lancer yourself.

And seriously, not everything has to be a copy to Tim's squad. Ramming the Clone into Imperials just doesn't work. There are a few good Trooper CE's in Republic.

Ah yes - I did think you meant in imperials. Without twin OR swap (or dark master) I just don't know if it's worth it.

You can get twin and swap in Rebels though, and with the squib I have a squad waiting. Too tough without the squib though.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 2:01 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

TimmerB123 wrote:
Sithborg wrote:

Ah yes - I did think you meant in imperials. Without twin OR swap (or dark master) I just don't know if it's worth it.

You can get twin and swap in Rebels though, and with the squib I have a squad waiting. Too tough without the squib though.

Curious. Are you giving Relay to a Caamasi? that would allow you to have a nice range on your CE's and be hard to lose it.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 6:38 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

now that Gowk is back I could see playing a speeder as suport for taking out acts now.
I had a pretty good GM yoda with speeder squad with bacarra, Rex, Speederx2, R2 for a fun squad at a local event in like 2009. I think GOWK works better though

I made a Landspeeder/Commando swap and a Commando MTB with GM.
Both are just tier 2 though. I think there is something there with the speeder but i could only mtb cunning +10 twin for 40 each then it died. I just couldnt figure out how to get wicket up close or give the commando bike a second turn without dying.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:38 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Weeks wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:
Sithborg wrote:

Curious. Are you giving Relay to a Caamasi? that would allow you to have a nice range on your CE's and be hard to lose it.

I like that idea, but I was thinking out-activating then letting a squib-juiced swoop shoot to wherever you need it. Put the speeder in place and then you have it for a nasty beginning round strike. Not Teir 1, but could be fun

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:43 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Yeah I like my speeder MTB with Luke leia GM but it maxes out at 16 it only really has the commando bike, Luke, GM, Lt was attackers. Yeah crix leia MTB help max the damage it's still a little lite on damage. I don't think it even has leia so its really a one trick pony.
GM 66
27 Luke
21 speeder
22 lt
16 crix
27 lobot
9 dod
UggieX4

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 4:32 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

One commonly used piece that is risky to strafe with a Speeder Bike is Darth Zannah - if she rolls a 19 or 20 on her Lightsaber Combat Expert save, the Speeder is in trouble.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 7:02 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Sithborg wrote:

i have actually tested both types of clone speeder squads. in both tile wars and in 200 pt format.

What i found was that in imperial you cant get over the loss of 62 points for palpy, although you can use him for a good beatstick using opportunist, but you end up with some wasted points. Especially in tile wars that sucks, because points dont matter then. but a fewe of the good options for swapping out are Vader sith lord(for sweep if possible, better in tile wars when set up.) wookie hunter at-st (for high damage but a big target, also works well in tiel wars), Emperor Roan Fel (brings in some bodyguarding) which can be useful in tile wars, but not as much with the speeder, and Vader Imperial Commander (sweep, and gives the speeder +6 defense.) and then of course vader scourge, because he is a jedi beatstick.

Now as sithborg said in republic they have alot going for them. General Kenobi, Captain Rex, Rex 501's/Gree (for extra movement in addition to kenobi.), Gree (with amidala for immunity to Attacks of Opportunity , GoWK/GM Yoda, Bacara, Gen. Aayla (combined with rex can be quite nasty, if pricy, but double greater mobile and strafe is nice in tile wars), cody (for crits), Commander Asoka (rolling cleave can be very fun), and then of course any fringe elements or Yularen for opportunist, but that wouldnt be the most useful.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:08 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

TheHutts wrote:
One commonly used piece that is risky to strafe with a Speeder Bike is Darth Zannah - if she rolls a 19 or 20 on her Lightsaber Combat Expert save, the Speeder is in trouble.

One reason she is such a ridiculously stupid piece. She's the only figure in the game that can literally live forever AND have you kill yourself simply by attacking (no matter how far away you are).

Yes at the Michigan Regionals Bill's Zannah killed my speeder through lightsaber combat expert. Smartly, I strafed everyone else first, and she was literally the last character alive. Weir was able to finish the job. She actually got one on Weir too. If she got a third I would have had only 10hp left on Weir, and I would have had to lock the door and take the 2 point win.

Zannah doesn't win you games, it just prolongs them.