Post subject: Re: 2012 Pa Regional results
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 3:50 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

TimmerB123 wrote:
audrisampson wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:
urbanjedi wrote:
Overall I had a blast and I think Mace has a couple very good squad types and some good matchups but isn't the super power that some have claimed him to be.

Yeah - was this the point of the MI crew? To prove Mace is Tier 1.5? 3 guys playing the exact same squad (give or take an uggie). Interesting.

It happens all the time in Magic so seeing it here really isn't all that surprising.

Yes, but we are NOT Magic.

I think much more highly of our community.

Soap, showers, and deorderant are not foreign concepts.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 4:00 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Na for Magic its more like were all adults and not kids. But it isn't all that crazy for a location to get behind one squad. It worked very well in Lansing and instead of designing something new they brought what they knew would work. I also bet this was a bit of a GenCon playtest for the squad to see how it held up. This happens locally sometimes here in Danville. You know about everyone has showed up to a local event here with Mando SS. The only difference in mine was that I added Jaster Mareel but he wasn't around when others were playing the squad.

We share the results here of nearly every tourney that matters. It is nothing to log on and find a great squad to play with. Heck I considered Mace in the face for Kokomo myself before this event went down. And before that my Mando squad was a mash up of Aaron Cook's and what we have played here in Danville forever.

People are going to take what they think has the best chance of victory. If for some reason or another the Lansing crew felt that Mace in the face was it and all decided to rock it. It couldn't have been that bad of a squad to get so many top spots. :)

[===0=]=============>

Sentinel for Life!

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 5:42 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

TimmerB123 wrote:
audrisampson wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:
urbanjedi wrote:
Overall I had a blast and I think Mace has a couple very good squad types and some good matchups but isn't the super power that some have claimed him to be.

Yeah - was this the point of the MI crew? To prove Mace is Tier 1.5? 3 guys playing the exact same squad (give or take an uggie). Interesting.

It happens all the time in Magic so seeing it here really isn't all that surprising.

Yes, but we are NOT Magic.

I think much more highly of our community.

audrisampson wrote:
Na for Magic its more like were all adults and not kids. But it isn't all that crazy for a location to get behind one squad. It worked very well in Lansing and instead of designing something new they brought what they knew would work. I also bet this was a bit of a GenCon playtest for the squad to see how it held up. This happens locally sometimes here in Danville. You know about everyone has showed up to a local event here with Mando SS. The only difference in mine was that I added Jaster Mareel but he wasn't around when others were playing the squad.

We share the results here of nearly every tourney that matters. It is nothing to log on and find a great squad to play with. Heck I considered Mace in the face for Kokomo myself before this event went down. And before that my Mando squad was a mash up of Aaron Cook's and what we have played here in Danville forever.

People are going to take what they think has the best chance of victory. If for some reason or another the Lansing crew felt that Mace in the face was it and all decided to rock it. It couldn't have been that bad of a squad to get so many top spots. :)

Actually, it had nothing to do with proving anything to anyone. As J has said repeatedly, he wanted to play the squad at the Michigan Regional (not because it's powerful, but because it's FUN), but I wouldn't let him because I wanted to debut it. I told him after Michigan, he could play it at whatever other event he wanted. He was always going to play it in PA.

Eric wanted something new to play, so Jason suggested it to him, as well. Lou played it and liked it, so he decided to play it too. That's it. It's a fun squad, decently powered, different from the other Mace builds out there. No one was proving anything, no one was trying to flood the meta with Maces. They thought it would be fun to play, so they played it. Also, I can't speak for Lou or Eric, but I happen to know that J will not be playing it again.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:37 pm 
Major Tierce
Major Tierce

I played it because I have wanted to play it since Laura built it, and also to see if Mace was all that everyone was complaining about. Eric played it because he has been wanting to try a different squad playstyle since the "new" meta is to get about 5-6 rounds in a game. This is why Eric didn't play much at Gencon last year because his 2 matches in the team tourney went something like 4 turns each because no one wanted to leave their pieces at all exposed to 24 IG-86 shots so just hid. Lou played it because he saw it at MI regionals and thought it looked fun to play.

It is a blast to play and is better than the GOWK/Mace squads that are out there.

And Laura is right. I will not be playing this at any future regional I attend this year.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:49 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I understand, which is why I enjoy playing Sith.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 5:53 am 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

Personally I think GOWK/Mace squads (well, my Homicidal Mace specifically since I'm well accustomed to it) and Mace in Your Face are very close in overall effectiveness. Mace in Your Face is more aggro, which is good and it works in plenty of situations, where as Homicidal Mace is a little more balanced (and therefore has lower damage output, but it can rely on its defense too). So, it comes down to what a player wants in their squad, and what they feel comfortable running.

Either way, and I've said this multiple times before, it's nice having lower activation squads that allow more rounds in a game and situations where action actually happens.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 3:04 pm 
Major Tierce
Major Tierce

In the overall meta I agree Josh. I was just saying in a squad on squad matchup Mace beats Gowk due to the 30 vs 20 damage unles the GOWK Mace rolls lots of crits.