logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: WNY Regional Results
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:13 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

A great day for the Republic, as congratulations go out to Josh Hinkel a.k.a. Hinkbert on winning the day!

Coincidentally, this was also Hinkbert's first official regional appearance.

The field saw thirteen players with the following faction mix....

Republic (3)
Sith (2)
Mandos (2)
Rebel (2)
Imps (2)
NR (1)
OR (1)

Full squad lists and standings to follow tomorrow and a special thanks to all those traveled to WNY for our very first regional. :)

Post subject: Re: WNY Regional Results
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:45 pm 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Congrats to hinkbert. Can't wait to see squads, although disappointed to see no Vong.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:01 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

I was going to play the Vong today but decided to go with the OR.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:38 pm 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Just a reminder when your posting squads, don't forget to post the royal rumble squads as well (probably post them in the royal rumble thread in general as to not take up regional thread space.)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:48 am 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

I went 6-0 with GowK/Mace.

My squad:

55 Gowk
65 Mace Lotls
23 Foul Moudama
9 R2-D2
27 Lobot
16 Dr. Evazan
5 Rodian Diplomat

My map: Peaceful City

1st Round vs Joe (emtjoe) on Ravage Base
His squad: Vader Agent of Evil w/ Stormtroopers

Using Lobot I brought in 2 uggie and Ponda
Joe was bringing in pieces with rolls of 2, 6, 7, 11, 12, & 17 and for the first init he rolled a 6 and brought in more troopers. I knew that if this continued to occur I'd really be in trouble so I decided to go after Vader second round, needing at least 2 crits to kill him with Mace. Thankfully Joe chose to riposte instead of trying defense so then Mace only needed 1 crit, which Mace got resulting in one dead Vader. It was basically just clean up since his troopers were no longer powerful enough and I could get to the rest of his commanders. Props to his Imp Dignitary for getting 2 crits though, it was well worth its points.

2nd Round vs Jim (Darth_Jim) on Anchorhead (yeah, Anchorhead)
His squad: Rebel Push with VAR, Luke Unleashed, Yoda, & Spec force Vanguards

I brought in 2 uggies and a Kel-Dor BH
Special shout out to TinT for helping me prepare for this squad (I played again Jim earlier in the week and was clobberred)

First round I positioned Foul and Mace with uggies to blow doors so they couldn't stay locked. Through a happy accident I placed Gowk in a position to be pushed, which then put Luke out far enough that I could reach him at the start round 2 outside of Yoda's alter range. So Mace went in to kill Luke, unfortunately he didn't crit, so Foul had to finish Luke, Foul then went down. Then, through strategic use of Evazan I was able to use homicidal surgery on Mace and Gowk to heal them when necessary, and I ran the Kel-Dor against the Vanguards where he failed his mine save and blew up giving both vanguards 40 damage. Eventually both GowK and Mace were able to get to Juno, VAR, and Yoda and they were too much to handle with the VAR only able to guarantee 40 damage with a push. After Mace killed the VAR Jim conceded.

3rd Round vs Chris Cook (christopercook) on Peaceful City
his squad: Deathshot Mandos

I brought in a twi'lek BG and Figrin Dan
I really over extended first round, putting too many pieces within shooting range in the middle room and he got 60 damage on Gowk. Thankfully Evazan came through again and helped Gowk heal back up to full health. Chris got my BG, Figrin, and R2 pretty early and was able to prevent Foul from getting Mace into the action with well place mouse walls. Eventually I was able to place Mace in the room with commanders, unfortunately he was then locked in there, losing his bonuses, but Mace was able to get the Captain, Jaster, and then a Scout. Foul went down and we were close on points. After time was called Mace took out a Scout and the Mando Quartermaster. This was key, if the Quartermaster survived and Chris then killed Mace he would have been ahead on points. As it was Mace was able to escape the room since the other Scout in the room missed his AoO, but the Scout was still able to reach Mace through a misplay on my part and took him out. I don't remember the exact score of the game, but I think I only ended up winning by 6 points. It was tight, and I definitely need to be more careful against the Mandos from now on.

4th round (last of swiss) vs Luke Cook on Peaceful Cith
his squad: Imp speeders with Wier and a Storm Commando

I brought 2 uggies again and a Kel-Dor
I positioned the Kel-Dor strategically so Luke would have to pass him with his speeders to reach anything but Mace and Foul who got to gambit. He went after Foul but through misses and a defense only got 20 damage on Foul. At the start of the next round he hit Foul again and got him down to 30 left, Mace then used GMA to go out, kill the speeder and return to Foul. I then hid in the gambit room with my squad, locked the bottom most door and positioned my Kel-Dor again. Evazan, once again, came through and healed Foul. He then got his other speeder deep into my territory, taking out Lobot (who I left alone in a room) at the start of round 3. Foul and Mace then went into cover, I positioned them so next round I could get to his commanders. He was able to get 100 damage on Mace with his commander and Stormie before Mace took out Thrawn, Wier and put 20 damage of Piett through crits and flurries. I then went to run Evazan up to heal Mace, but he blocked me with a brute. So the Kel-dor, who hadn't done anything but look intimidating, shot the brute. So Mace got "surgerized" and only had 70 damage on his. At this point it was just clean up.

Semi-Finals vs Luke (again) this time on Grand Plaza

I brought in the same Reinforcements.
I picked the room side, positioned my Kel-Dor again at the front of the 3 space wide hall between the start of the rooms going down the side and the starting area, then I locked the accessible doors. I placed Foul and Mace in gambit again, and he tried to kill Foul the a speeder. Foul once again survived and Mace once again killed the speeder. At this point I was ahead 26 to 0 so I retreated Foul and Mace to the safety of the Kel-Dor protected space and once again used Evazan to heal. He was able to get a twin shot on the Kel-Dor without cover, but missed one so he couldn't kill him. This again was key as I just kept running Gowk or Mace with Foul into gambit to stay ahead on points, running back to Evazan as necessary. He then went after Gowk who was alone in gambit, with his speeder. I then got the speeder by taking Mace in with Foul. He then advanced on me with his Commandos (one that he brought in by rolling a 6, first init of the game too) but they weren't able to do enough damage before I could kill his commanders. After that happened it was clean up time again, and Evazan finally failed me as Foul rolled a 3 and ended up killing himself. I got some revenge though when I used Evazan to do the surgery on Mas Amedda. On to the finals

Finals vs Kris McNaney (McNizzle) on Peaceful City
his squad: Revan, Zannah, and a haunted Atton

I brought and uggie and Momaw Nadon (Kris had 11 mice in his squad)
I had played Kris the prior week (we were both using the same squads as before too) and he knew which side I preferred on Peaceful City, so he took it. We both went into gambit first round, but I separated Foul and Mace to avoid a possible corruption by Zannah. He then shot Foul with Atton at the end of the round, and then did it again at the start of round 2, killing Foul. He was only able to get 10 away from Mace and couldn't lock him out. So Mace ran in and got the crit he needed to kill Atton, but Atton made his avoid defeat saves. Thankfully the flurry took him out (and Exar DFS). Zannah then attacked Mace who riposted and got a crit. Mace absorbed the reroll so Zannah took 60. I then did some positioning as well as Kris. Start of round 3 Kris took Revan and killed Evazan, but he also put him in Mace range. Mace then did 120 to Revan, and Gowk came in to finish him off. During round 4 Mace once again got a crit on Zannah, but Kris rolled a 20 on soresu, so Mace took the damage back. Kris was able to kill Mace, but Zannah only had 30 left. I then did War Throat with Momaw, cause I was waiting to do that all game and it actually did 10 damage to Zannah. Gowk then finished her with a push and that was game.

The MVP of my squad was definitely Evazan. He saved my butt multiple times.

It was a super fun tourny and a huge tanks to Gerry (Darph_Nader) for organizing it. And a thanks to Cory (pastorbudwine) for judging.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:49 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Good write-up! Thanks for sharing. I love the way that GOWK/Mace play. It sounds like you got some big crits when you needed them too, which is important with Mace. But more importantly, it sounds like you knew how to play your squad well. Congrats!

So far you're undefeated in Regional play...I don't think anyone else can claim that! ;)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:43 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

thereisnotry wrote:
Good write-up! Thanks for sharing. I love the way that GOWK/Mace play. It sounds like you got some big crits when you needed them too, which is important with Mace. But more importantly, it sounds like you knew how to play your squad well. Congrats!

So far you're undefeated in Regional play...I don't think anyone else can claim that! ;)

Good point. I guess I should retire and quit while I'm ahead :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:20 pm 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

I've got much love for anyone who plays and wins a tournament with that few pieces in his squad. Well done!

I still think that Mace plus General Skywalker is better than Mace plus GOWK, but maybe not.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:04 pm 
Unnamed Stormtrooper
Unnamed Stormtrooper

I went 1-3 with this squad but had a whole lot of fun. My map of choice was Ravaged Base.

Evil's Agents
65 Darth Vader, Agent of Evil
32 Thrawn (Mitth'raw'nuruodo)
16 Admiral Gilad Pellaeon
15 Lobot, Computer Liaison Officer
11 Admiral Ozzel
40 501st Legion Stormtrooper x4
8 Mas Amedda
8 R7 Astromech Droid
5 Imperial Dignitary

Preferred Reserves:
(Admiral Ozzel) 20 501st Legion Stormtrooper x2
(Vader AoE) 20 501st Legion Stormtrooper x2

Swiss Round One vs. Josh (hinkbert)
Map: Ravaged Base
Josh's squad: GOWK/Mace

I won map choice and Josh set up inside the base. My first mistake of this game was not switching out Ozzel for Grand Moff Tarkin. Tarkin would have given me a fighting chance vs. Mace providing I could get Mace inside Pellaeons' bubble. 1st round I rolled a 6 on initiative and brought in 4 Stormtrooper via Ozzel. I then moved into gambit while Josh moved up the left side of the map. During the 2nd round Josh moved Mace into the control room and based Vader. Two or three hits and one crit later Vader was dead. I choose to try and riposte rather than lightsaber defense which was a mistake. I missed both riposte rolls and lost Vader. After that Mace and GOWK just walked through my squad tearing it up. My Imperial Dignitary however did manage two critical's during the game and truly was worth his 5 points. Result: Loss 0 points vs. Josh with a 3 point win.

Swiss Round Two vs. (StevenO)
StevenO squad: Rebel pilots

I won map roll and SteveO set up outside. For the first two rounds it was a chess match as we both manuvered to try and get into position to unleash our respective shooters on each other. I kept the doors locked for the first two rounds while I moved into position. we both moved into gambit during round one. During round two I used Pellaeon as bait for one of his pilots. The pilot did not come out to play however and instead Dash RS did. Pellaeon died which was no great loss in this match and I was able to put thirty damage on the pilot before it ran away using one of my 501st Stormtroopers. Round three the shooting started. I opened the two doors I had been keeping locked. SteveO gunned down one of my 501st Stormtroopers. I killed an uggie and a mouse droid. With the death of the mouse droid I lost the ability to shoot most of his squad. Due to a poor decision on my part I left a door open via CLObot on the left side of the map. This allowed SteveO to use two pilots to gun him down. I moved my stormstroopers to allow a swap with Vader at which point I killed Dash but by that point time had been called and the 3rd round was over. Result: Loss - 0 points; SteveO Win - 2 points.

Swiss Round Three vs. Kris (McNizzle)
Map: Theed Palace
Kris's squad Revan, Zannah, and a haunted Atton.

Kris won map choice and I set up on the right side of the map. Despite my best efforts this was a very one sided match. Revan and Zannah just shrugged off any damage I did. Once I lost Vader to attacks from Zannah, Atton, and Revan all in the same round the game was over for me. Once again my Imp Dignitary was well worth his points and scored a Crit on Revan when he moved away. I managed to roll two 11's for initiative during this game allowing me to bring in reserves. This allowed me to get my only kill of the match using a Camasi Nobel to take down a mouse droid. Result: Loss - 0 points: Kris Win - 3 points.

Swiss Round Four vs. ? (I do not remember the young kids name. Sorry about that.)
? squad Captian Rex with Omega squad.

I won map choice and the kid choose to set up inside the base. I learned at the start of the match that he was new to the game so I choose to teach him about the game while we played. I rolled a 2, 7, and 12 for initiatives during the first three rounds bringing in 501st Legion Stormtroopers each round. He moved his force up into the hallway that runs across the middle of the map. I used it as a shooting gallery. He did manage to kill three stormtroopers during the match due to Fi's traps. Overall I brought was able to bring in 8 501st Legion Stormtroopers during the game. I one point I had 12 troopers on the map. Result: Win - 3 points: ? Loss - 0 points.

Overall I had a lot of fun. Thank you to Gerry (DarphNader) and Cory (pastorbudwine) for organizing and judging the event. Also props to Engineer for the trophies. Congrats to Jak for being choosen for the sportsmanship award. The drawings that were given out for 1st through 4th place plus the sportsmanship award were awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:20 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

I'd like to say congratulations to Josh, Kris, and Evan for capturing the top 3 on Saturday. While Joe and I didn't fair too badly, the young guns from Pa did a great job of representing. Thanks to Gerry for a well run tournament, and to the store for hosting. (Although the paintball gun testing area right next to the gaming area was unnerving at first lol. Later on, the gun sounds seemed appropriate background noise as we all got used to hearing it.)

Being organized is for people who are too lazy to look for their stuff.

Lasers make everything better... except Alderaan.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:39 am 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

Saturday’s regional event saw a field of thirteen players from three different states converge to do battle and when all was said and done Hinkbert emerged on the top of the pile. For our very first regional, I was pleased at the turnout and our hosts at the War Store made us feel very welcome and encouraged us to hold more future SWM events there. Thanks to everone who traveled to sunny (this time) Buffalo! :D

So without further ado…

The Squads:

“Untitled” by Josh Hinkel (a.k.a. Hinkbert on Bloomilk & swmgamers)

Mace Windu LotLS
GOWK
Foul Moudama
Dr. Evazan, GC
Lobot
Doombot
Rodian Diplomat
Map choice: Peaceful City

“Resistant is Futile” by Jack MacEwen (a.k.a. jak on Bloomilk)

Celeste Morne
Exar Kun DFS
Sidiogram
Sith Alchemist
Sith Wrangler
Lobot
Rakghoul x2
Nexu
Jawa Scavenger
Uggie Demo
MSD
Map choice: Asteroid Base

“# YOLO” by Evan Savage (a.k.a. Evman678 on Bloomilk)

Han Solo, GH
Mara Jade, Jedi
Ganner Rhysode
Anakin Solo
General Dodonna
Lobot
Gha Nachkt
MSD
Uggie Demo

“R2-D2, Carrier of Doom” by Patrick Dioguardi (a.k.a. patar7 on Bloomilk)

Mace Windu, LoLTS
GOWK
Qui-Gon-Jinn, JM
Foul Moudama
Doombot
MSD
Uggie Demo
Map choice: Commander’s Office

“The 3 Admirals” by Luke Cook (a.k.a. YoBuckKiller on Bloomilk)

GA Thrawn
General Weir
Scout Trooper on Speeder Bike x2
Admiral Piett
Storm Commando
Admiral Ozzel
Mas Amedda
Lobot
Gran Raider
Uggie Demo
Rodian Brute
Map choice: Grand Plaza

“Rand Band” by Kris McNaney (a.k.a. McNizzle on Bloomilk & swmgamers)

Darth Revan, Sith Lord
Darth Zannah
Atton “Jaq” Rand
Exar Kun DFS
Gha Nachkt
R7 Astro
Atton “Jaq”
R7 Astro
MSD x10

“Evil’s Agents” by Joseph Peters (a.k.a. emtjoe on Bloomilk)

Darth Vader, Agent of Evil
Thrawn
Admiral Gilad Pellaeon
Admiral Ozzel
501st Stormtroopers x4
Mas Amedda
Imperial Dignitary
Lobot, CLO
R7 Astro
Map choice: Ravaged Base

“Mandos are Back” by Chris Cook (a.k.a. christophercook on Bloomilk)

Jaster Mareel
Mando Captain
Mando Scout x4
Lobot
Jawa Scavenger
MSD x2
Map choice: Grand Plaza

“Mandos in the House” by Dean Dioguardi

Demagol
Rohlan Dyre
Mando Captain
Mando Scout x5
Mando Gunsmith
Mando CIO
MSD
Map choice: Rancor Pit

“Boring Skirmish Anyway” by Steve Mitchell (a.k.a. captaingig on Bloomilk & swmgamers)

Han Solo in Stormtrooper Armor
Jon “Dutch” Vander
Red Sqaudron Ace x3
General Dodonna
R2-D2 w/Extended Sensor
Juno Eclipse
Dash Rendar, RS
Klatoonian Captain
Figrin D’an
Salacious Crumb
MSD
Uggie demo
Map choice: Asteroid Base

“Bastila Day” by Gerry Russell (a.k.a. DARPH NADER on Bloomilk & swmgamers)

Mira
Bastila Shan, JM
Carth Onasi, OR Drunkard
Jedi Seer
OR Senator x2
Figrin D’an
R7 Astro
Uggie demox2
Map choice: Cantina

“Spec Force Push” by Jim McNaney (a.k.a. Darth_Jim on Bloomilk & swmgamers)

VAR
Yoda of Dagobah
Luke Skywalker, HPU
Spec Force Vanguard x2
General Rieekan
General Dodonna
Juno Eclipse
Lobot, CLO
R7 Astro
Map choice: Anchorhead

“Oppression” by Zachary Field

Captain Rex
RC Training Sgt
RC Niner
RC Darman
RC Fi
RC Atin
Foul Moudama
Doombot
Spaarti CT
MSD
Map choice: Cantina

Final Standings:

Name W/L Swiss Points

1. Hinkbert ((Josh Hinkel) 4-0 11
2. Evman678 (Evan Savage)* 4-0 10
3. McNizzle (Kris McNaney)* 3-1 9
4. YoBuckKiller (Luke Cook) 3-1 7
5. captaingig (Steve Mitchell) 3-1 6
6. Darth_Jim (Jim McNaney) 2-2 6
7. DARPH NADER (Gerry Russell) 2-2 5
8. christophercook (Chris Cook) 2-2 5
9. emtjoe (Joseph Peters) 1-3 3
10. Dean (Dean Dioguardi) 1-3 3
11. patar7 (Patrick Dioguardi) 1-3 3
12. jak (Jack MacEwen)* 1-3 3
13. Zach (Zachary Field)* 1-3 3

* denotes a bye round

Semis:
Hinkbert vs YoBuckKiller
Evman678 vs McNizzle

Final:
Hinkbert v. McNizzle

Sportsmanship Award:
jak

Best use of rolling Reserves:
emtjoe

Last edited by DarphNader on Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:51 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

greentime wrote:
I've got much love for anyone who plays and wins a tournament with that few pieces in his squad. Well done!

Ditto! And I personally happen to find it more enjoyable that way too. ;)

greentime wrote:
I still think that Mace plus General Skywalker is better than Mace plus GOWK, but maybe not.

In terms of straight-up Mace-boosting, I think you have a point, because being able to run 10 and kill the big damage shooters (Cad, Jaq, Dash) without a crit is outstanding. But General Skywalker has nowhere near as much survivability as GOWK, and the thing about low-activation squads is that they need some good survivability or they'll get overwhelmed.

Lots of damage + low survivability = glass cannon

Glass cannon squad + low activations = pwned by too many squads

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:23 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Not to mention a 26 Def is pretty tough to crack.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:41 am 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

I agree Tint. I've tried Mace with Flobi and Skyguy and while you increase your chance to kill a high damage shooter, you lose survivability. Plus matches against squads like a Mando squad become exceedingly difficult to win.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:32 am 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

Sithborg wrote:
Not to mention a 26 Def is pretty tough to crack.

Mira didn't seem to have much trouble on that front... ;-)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:37 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

thereisnotry wrote:

greentime wrote:

In terms of straight-up Mace-boosting, I think you have a point, because being able to run 10 and kill the big damage shooters (Cad, Jaq, Dash) without a crit is outstanding. But General Skywalker has nowhere near as much survivability as GOWK, and the thing about low-activation squads is that they need some good survivability or they'll get overwhelmed.

Eh, to each their own, I guess. Skyguy doesn't necessarily have the survivability (although Panaka's BG can help), and GOWK doesn't have the damage potential. Personally, I'd rather have a 47-point piece that can actually put some hurt on than a 55-point piece that just stands there in the middle of the board rolling 11s. Skyguy can make an excellent clean-up piece.

Bottom line for me: I'd rather take the arguably greater risk of giving up a 3-point loss with Skyguy, with the outside chance that even if I lose Mace earlier than intended I might still be able to come back, than rely on GOWK and know that if I lose Mace early, the best that will happen is a 2-point loss.

But hey, I'm just the squad-builder :3p0:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:34 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

UrbanShmi wrote:
thereisnotry wrote:

greentime wrote:

Eh, to each their own, I guess. Skyguy doesn't necessarily have the survivability (although Panaka's BG can help), and GOWK doesn't have the damage potential. Personally, I'd rather have a 47-point piece that can actually put some hurt on than a 55-point piece that just stands there in the middle of the board rolling 11s. Skyguy can make an excellent clean-up piece.

Bottom line for me: I'd rather take the arguably greater risk of giving up a 3-point loss with Skyguy, with the outside chance that even if I lose Mace earlier than intended I might still be able to come back, than rely on GOWK and know that if I lose Mace early, the best that will happen is a 2-point loss.

But hey, I'm just the squad-builder :3p0:

If we're talking about Panaka, then I agree that Skyguy is better, because you might be able to get Mace out of there in time, which would allow Evazan to heal him before he goes back in to cause more carnage. But that's an entirely different squad type.

I think the difference between GOWK and Skyguy is the difference between a tank squad and a more technical (and CE-dependent) squad. They are two very different squads. Both can be good, but for the build Josh was going for, I think GOWK was the better choice.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:39 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Maybe so. Of course, it comes down to play style and what works best for the squad you're building.

I'm just partial to mine, is all :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:26 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

UrbanShmi wrote:
Maybe so. Of course, it comes down to play style and what works best for the squad you're building.

I'm just partial to mine, is all :lol:

That's true, but Obi is way cooler than Ani, so I had to go with the bearded one.

I really like your Mace in your face squad, and I tried variations where Mace was practically guaranteed to kill an 80 Hp shooter, but ultimately the tank-like rock squad works best for me. Plus there's something really satisfying about winning with a squad that hardly ever breaks double digits.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:27 pm 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

[/quote]That's true, but Obi is way cooler than Ani, so I had to go with the bearded one.[/quote]

Hey, if that were true, my sons name would be
Alexzander Obi-wan, not
Alexzander Anakin.