19 Yomin Carr
15 Yammosk War Coordinator
12 Advance Scout x2
36 Yuuzhan Vong Worker x9
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist

(200pts. 17 activations)

*Very important:
The name of this squad is "Jake K's 2011 squad"

At the last minute Jake asked if I wanted to play his squad from last year. He brought it with him but decided to play Fallen Angel instead. I wrestled with it a bit, but decided to go for it with only a minor change. I dropped 3 workers for the 2 advance scouts. That way I had 2 super stealthies that could actually earn gambit and throw thud bugs.

Jake got 2nd at both Wisconsin and Kokomo IN regionals last year. He lost both finals matches to me. In bittersweet irony, I finally get it to win a regional.

I never played the squad before today. I certainly have played AGAINST it enough. Beating it (barely) 5 times at regional tournaments last year made me understand the other end of the squad. Playing it is another matter.

Lobot was MVP by far. My biggest fear was running into another Lobot, since there are so many options of tech to help counter my team. (I know because its the only way I beat Jake last year). Luckily, only Jake brought Lobot to this regional, and I never faced him.

I beat OR twice, Sith x 2 and Mandos.

I had to face Atton Jaq Rand in 4 matches. In the second
match Atton made 6 (yes, SIX) avoid defeat saves in a row. Thats not even counting the spit posion saves that he made that would have killed him too. I nearly lost that match due to that ridiculousness.

But I pulled it off for regional title number 6.

Post subject: Re: 2012 Missouri Regional Champion Squad: "Jake K's 2011 squad"
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:14 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I came so close to beating this last year. Go Rakghouls for Reinforcements.

Still good, though.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:28 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Brutally annoying to play against no doubt. Nice work Jake & Co.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:34 am 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sithborg wrote:
I came so close to beating this last year. Go Rakghouls for Reinforcements.

Still good, though.

Which is exactly why I brought it with, because of the lack of lobot being played now. It might have been an interesting match if Tim had to play me with my fallen angel squad.
1) I created the squad that Tim was running so I should know how it plays.
2) I had lobot in Fallen Angel to allow me to bring in counters.
3) I had Reven swapping Rakgouls to take out his bombs.

But as it was. I never played Tim, and my theme song (see the regional thread) and I got crushed. Oh well, life still goes on.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:34 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Yeah, the lack of Lobot is curious to me. Was the Mice drop really that key to most players usage of him? It is tough for me not to use him, though I'm starting to bring more than activation fodder now. Free 60HP bodyguards are nice.

I also note a lack of Wuher. Not too surprising, but I can see someone rolling the dice on a Mouse Drop.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:29 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I'm still laughing at how many people think this squad came out of left field.

If you weren't familiar with this squad, you weren't paying very close attention to last years regional results.

Jake took 2nd place at both Kokomo and Wisconsin, barely losing a 2point win in the finals each time. And only then because he faced Lobot AND was out-activated. And these were tough regionals, he beat no fewer than 6 hall-of-famers with it.

This squad was very strong last year, and in some ways may be stronger now. I don't see it winning the world championship, but in the right hands it could slip into the top 8. Certainly would spoil some squads' day.

Spit poison is the most overlooked thing. Yes, they blow up for 20 damage as well, but I caused more damage thanks to good old Yomin Carr.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:34 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Nice to see Nom Bomb making a comeback. I remember winning with an old-school variant of this at a tournament in Cape Girardeau years ago (I was 7-0 for the day, as I recall, beating out some very well built B&B and JWM/Boba BH squads).

Well played! :)

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:46 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

TimmerB123 wrote:
This squad was very strong last year, and in some ways may be stronger now. I don't see it winning the world championship, but in the right hands it could slip into the top 8. Certainly would spoil some squads' day.

It was a meta call both years. You basically hit the nail on the head: He lost games last year because he face Lobot AND was outactivated. How likely is that to happen? Based on regional results from both this year and in years past, it's more likely in some places than in others. Last year it would not have done nearly as well at some of the regionals I attended, but could certainly dominate others.

Most importantly, though, on average I think the "bad matchups" were present much more last year nationwide than they are this year. There has been very little that specifically counters this squad this year; last year, there was more that would have trouble with it. This squad just plain reacts well to the current meta, and that's pretty much the entire key to competitive squad building.

"You can't per aspera ad astra unless there's some aspera in front of your astra. And that means sometimes the aspera gets you." - Donald X. Vaccarino

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:54 pm 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

Sithborg wrote:
Yeah, the lack of Lobot is curious to me. Was the Mice drop really that key to most players usage of him?

A big reason has been that people aren't spending 27 points on scrubs anymore. My regional squad had, as it turns out, exactly 26 points of scrubs; Daniel's had even less. With the number of at least pretty good pieces increasing so much with virtual sets, and with the potential increase in damage output from prospective opponent squads, it becomes very tempting to load up on attackers right up to the brim and not worry as much about activations and flexibility.

Tyber Zann might have come into it as well, but I really doubt that.

In Atlanta we have largely all stopped playing Lobot because it just didn't seem necessary with the more-straightforward squads we have been playing.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:12 pm 
One of the Sith on Malgus' Shuttle
One of the Sith on Malgus' Shuttle

Do you remember the CEs you copied? Did any make a really big difference?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:51 pm 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I can't speak for all his games cause I didn't see them all but in the finals he stole extra atk from the exile which is huge for cad. There were some games last year for me where the stolen ce didn't do much and some games where it made a big impact.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:17 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

jedispyder wrote:
Do you remember the CEs you copied? Did any make a really big difference?

Some squads had nothing I could copy. Can't copy Revan (can't swap with a Yammosk), Can't copy anything designed for "troopers".

I did steal the Exile's CE against Bill G who I faced in both round 1 and the finals. It is huge to have Cad get triple twin with greater mobile - but honestly my squad happens to pretty much be the perfect counter to his, so I don't think it would have made much difference. He played well, but with anybody running both these squads, vong wins 9/10 at least.

Against Jake B in round 2 I stole Darth Malak, Dark Lord of the Sith's CE. +4 attack was nice, but once again, rarely did it make a difference. With Cad it was like anything but a 1 instead of needing a 4, and I rarely attacked with the workers (mostly spit poison).

round 3 I stole Bandon's CE (+10 dam vs adjacent). Rarely did it come up. I think I got an AoO Crit from a worker on his R7, and said - 20 damage. He said - no, it's a droid; no crits. I said - I know, it's 10 damage +10 from Bandon's CE. We both laughed.

In the semis I stole Robert's Pre-Vizla's CE where if you attack and miss, you can reroll. And if you attacked and missed again, you died. Perfect for bombs. It helped having another way to set off bombs, since his Cassus Fett nerfed my MTB.

The big ones to steal are swap (Thrawn or Panaka) or Activation control (Dodanna, San or Ozzel) - But I didn't face any of those all day.