13 Czerka Scientist
12 Mandalorian Counter-Intelligence Officer
11 Death Watch Saboteur
8 R4 Astromech Droid
5 Salacious Crumb
9 Mouse Droid x3
6 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2

(199pts. 15 activations)

[Note] A good tweak to this build is swapping out the R4 & Salacious for a Treadwell Droid and another Mouse. The idea there is to help deal with Nom Anor SS/SD20 squads; as the Treadwell has Its a Trap!, thus allowing those type of Vong squads (who would otherwise ignore Force Sense) to be targetable.

Last edited by HanSolo79 on Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: 2012 Portland, OR. Regional champion squad
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:51 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Cassus takes away an opponents Tactician, Jusik takes away Stealth/SS, and the Mando CIO takes away Tempo control.

DWS advance ahead blowing doors open. Keep the Czerka, the 2 Mando Scouts, and the Mando Tactician together. Besides the +4 to initiative, and being able to activate 2 or 3 at the start of a phase, the Tactician will be your primary Jolt shooter against a target by way of the Czerka (if its safe enough, you could even use Cassus in this manner). The DWS gets in range to use Traps on the Jolted target, and then 1 or both Scouts go to work on it. The CIO and the DWS will be your primary Fire Support Mission users, by way of Cassus.

Besides spamming Force Sense, Jusik can go around healing and blowing doors open, and occasionally, when possible, using JMT2 to help activate characters for the Mando Scouts to Opportunist. If you get ADM'ed by Bastila its not nearly as severe a loss as some squad builds, and Vong may find little value with them since the Yammosk would have to either spot an opponent or have characters within 2 squares; which I believe increases the value of this squad.

Every squad has at least 1 achilles heel, and this one's is low HP. Facing another squad full of cloaked followers is any squads potential achilles heel, so that goes without saying. Fire Support Mission at least allows 1 ranged auto-damage hit per round against Cloaked characters within line of sight.

Won the Portland, OR. Regional with this squad. 4-0. Defeated a good GOWK/Mace squad (Roguejedi421), an Imp Atris/Echani squad, the Silri Swap squad (Azavander), and a Warmaster Lah squad (stinkracer). All of those games were 3pt victories. One those squads I went against was playing extremely defensive (Sirli Swap), and the other was the Vong squad which just took some time to defeat.

The map I used was the Rancor Pen.

Last edited by HanSolo79 on Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:58 am, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:10 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Would go to GenCon but cant make the trip to Indiana this summer, so maybe someone else out there can use it :)

Last edited by HanSolo79 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:51 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

HanSolo79 wrote:
--New Mandos On The Block--

37 Cassus Fett
36 Bardan Jusik
24 Mandalorian Tactician
38 Mandalorian Scout x2
13 Czerka Scientist
12 Mandalorian Counter-Intelligence Officer
11 Death Watch Saboteur
8 R4 Astromech Droid
5 Salacious Crumb
9 Mouse Droid x3
6 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2

(199pts. 15 activations)

First of all congrats on the win.

I'm scraching my head wondering how you'd beat a lot of stuff though. Once the czerka dies your damage output goes in the toilet. What do you do if you arent getting opportunist on things? Can you explain a little more about how this works?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:12 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

I played a mando squad at Owensboro that was much more offensive and still at times struggled with getting kills. So I kinda have the same questions. Also how did you manage to keep your scouts alive on an open map like Rancor Pit?

[===0=]=============>

Sentinel for Life!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:20 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

The Mando Scientist is a much better option than the Czerka. Cassus does provide a decent engine for direct damage, but the rest are going to have issues with high defenses or ways to shrug off damage.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:42 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

having lost to his squad both on saturday and several times in the week coming up to it. rancor pen was a great map for this squad and he had studied every line on it almost everyone played some sort of line of site mistake. Fire support mission was also pretty nice dong 60 from a distance plus splash. With the cloakers he would keep them in cover gma out and deal 80 on anyone coming up and take'em out. Having 3 in a phase worked out well as he could do a ton of damage before you responded. In the final matched he jolted warmaster and stuck him out in the open for 3 rounds. And just peppered him from afar.

A strafe would have destroyed this squad, but for a 2nd year in a row no one played a lancer or kybuck.

One last interesting thing is that our 2 groups the Eugene (including Han and I) and Portland group only ever play against each other once a year. The groups play wildly different squads

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:29 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Sithborg wrote:
The Mando Scientist is a much better option than the Czerka. Cassus does provide a decent engine for direct damage, but the rest are going to have issues with high defenses or ways to shrug off damage.

It actually wasn't. The Czerka was the best option for the way this squad was built, and what I was wanting to do. The Czerka gave Twin to the Scouts and Jolt to the Tactician, Cassus, and the DWS. The goal was to land a Jolt on a target or target's early on, or out-activate, either way ensuring the Scouts get Opportunist to go off. I honestly can not recall if there was ever a situation where I never got Opportunist for my Scouts.

The attack boosters came from Traps (DWS) and Targeting (R4); both combined would take -8 defense away from a target. You have to play the R4 smart, as its fragile, but thats where some mouse cover may come in handy or just plain being patient and waiting to use Targeting at the right moment.

Add to that mix a well timed, and placed, Distraction from Salacious; taking away any defensive stat bonus CE's.

About shrugging off damage: I mentioned earlier that the obvious weakness to this squad here is HP. Thats where Bardan Jusik can step in; healing 20 hp a pop. Bardan and Cassus both have Beskar'gam, and most the squad is Cloaked.

In the end however, we all must play our squads well and know your map, and if possible, know your opponents. Mistakes made by your opponent are always welcomed, and having the dice go your way more often than not, is probably the single most important thing; the best laid plans and best built squads rarely overcome horrible rolls throughout a match. We've all experienced the frustration of those games, I'm sure.

Last edited by HanSolo79 on Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:05 pm, edited 6 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:18 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

"A strafe would have destroyed this squad, but for a 2nd year in a row no one played a lancer or kybuck."

Might be jumping the gun there. "Destroyed" is a pretty confident term considering the fact that we don't rightly know for sure. I think you and I need to put that to the test before we label this squad destroyed by a Lancer or YoBuck squad.

If matches were decided merely by how they look on paper, then sure, perhaps we could label it automatically destroyed.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:03 am 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

I think your squad doesn't have much override? Did you win map roll most of the time? I can see how you'd pull it off on Rancor Pit, but it seems like it would be tricky on other maps.

I like the use of the Mandalorian Tactician - it doesn't see much play and it's kind of cool.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:48 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

"I'm scraching my head wondering how you'd beat a lot of stuff though. Once the czerka dies your damage output goes in the toilet. What do you do if you aren't getting opportunist on things? Can you explain a little more about how this works?"

You assume a few things here. 1, that I'd put the Czerka in any kind of compromising position. She's a VERY important piece. I only lost her once (championship game), at the very end when the game was already in hand. However, if she were to be eliminated earlier, I can almost guarantee that that wouldn't happen unless someone was willing to sacrifice a decent piece in exchange. After that, sure it stings, but the game aint over.

Checkout these squads on Bloomilk:

Roguejedi421 and his GOWK/Mace/Tow squad called 'Mace Attack'. I was able to defeat it on his map, Off World Shipping Center (the one that looked like a cargo shipping dock).

Defeated an Imp Atris/Echani accurate/swap squad that featured 4 maidens. On my Rancor Pen map.

Lookup 'Sirli Swap' built by Azavander. Defeated it on my Rancor map.

stinkracer had a powerful Vong squad (Warmaster Tsavong Lah, Nen Yim, YV Jedi Hunter x4, Advanced Agent - Officer, Yammosk, Ug Demo) that I defeated in the championship, again, on my Rancor map.

Being able to win rolls for map, in all but one match, was very convenient but I hope no one thinks that that's all it took :)

Last edited by HanSolo79 on Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:04 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

TheHutts wrote:
I think your squad doesn't have much override? Did you win map roll most of the time? I can see how you'd pull it off on Rancor Pit, but it seems like it would be tricky on other maps.

I like the use of the Mandalorian Tactician - it doesn't see much play and it's kind of cool.

Buddy, it aint got any :D It would've been interesting to see how it would fair in a "doorsie" map. I know some might jump on that fact, but with 4 pieces having Satchel Charge, one of which is Cloaked, Im certain it'd be ok.

I was stoked to use the Tactician, and all these new Mando pieces with great success!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:53 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

HanSolo79 wrote:
"A strafe would have destroyed this squad, but for a 2nd year in a row no one played a lancer or kybuck."

Might be jumping the gun there. "Destroyed" is a pretty confident term considering the fact that we don't rightly know for sure. I think you and I need to put that to the test before we label this squad destroyed by a Lancer or YoBuck squad.

If matches were decided merely by how they look on paper, then sure, perhaps we could label it automatically destroyed.

it was more of a comment on the pretty low hp and a basing and doing 50 strafer or a double pawned strafer takes out alot of that squad in one shot especially on a map as open as Rancor pit. Most of your squad is 50 hp or less. It was not a slam I told you the same thing the entire week of practice games.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:47 am 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What side of the rancor pit did your oppontents take after they lost map? I'm no expert of all the Los of that map but the handmaiden squad could take out 2 pices and go right back to hiding. How did you protect the czerka against a swap squad on an open map like the rancor pit? Just curious, if you could give an write up of each game. You obviously know the squad well and how to play it but I don't see mandos that much by me and it I'm just scratching my head as to how you specifically went on against certain squads. I'm in no way saying your squad is bad, just curious as to if you could give detailed play reports because some of those squads you beat looked like tough match ups.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:13 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

THe problem is the characters being cloaked, hand maidens would have to come up and base them there is enough sporadic cover across the map long shots are nearly impossible. THe swap squad I played allowed me to get close but whatever I used to base, just died and sacing SIrli or Tyber for 1 scout was a horrible trade.

In our match i played really conservative and drew him to me, made one error in counting and he took out Zahn before he did any damage, I swaped in Sirli later and took out scout but most of my swap fodder was gone by then so I had to swap in Nightsister Mother to give up less points. NSM was gone with on Scout barrage.

Everything my team did well he nerfed. SS gone thanks to Bardiak's Spam force sense, Ozzel nerfed by CIO, and Master Tact nerfed by Cassus Fett.

Most rounds in our game went something like this Sabtouer or Tactician would jolt a piece, the scouts with opportunist and blaster upgrade would quad shot for 80. (Not sure if he missed a shot our entire match.) Piece would be gone, if he needed he would jsut activate 3, then Jolt. 80 and 80 more. Was stupid effective.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:39 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

sthlrd2 wrote:
What side of the rancor pit did your oppontents take after they lost map? I'm no expert of all the Los of that map but the handmaiden squad could take out 2 pices and go right back to hiding. How did you protect the czerka against a swap squad on an open map like the rancor pit?

1st question: 2 of them picked the side with the slave pens, with what few doors exist on that map (the Echani Swap & Silri Swap). The Vong squad chose the big Rancor Pen side. In truth it didn't matter to much for my squad, as I had practiced both sides equally but I preferred the Rancor Pen side.

2nd question: LOS & protecting the Czerka from a swap squad. Firstly, having the Tactician, Scout x2, Mando CIO, DWS cloaked is a huge protection there, and keeping the others from LOS isn't actually to hard, but yah you have to watch your step occasionally, and I could always throw in Mouse Droid cover (didn't face any Accurate or Sniper shooters in my matches). I actually didn't get swapped to much due to the fact that once the Tactician had LOS, I could activate up to 3 characters in a phase, and being able to take away Stealth & SS usually left the piece naked. Throw in Targeting, Traps, Opportunist, Fire Support Mission, and it definitely wouldn't be a piece long for the match. Thanks again to the Tactician/Cassus, and good rolling, I very rarely lost initiative.

(Thanks Az for breaking down our match, now I can commit my memory to the other games :) )