logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post subject: Re: Owensboro Regional April 14
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:20 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Sithborg wrote:
Having just done the Atlanta to Kalamazoo drive in one day, this is somewhat tempting...

Lou wrote:
Let me know Scott

You guys are more than welcome. Hope you make it. :)

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:37 am 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Echo wrote:
Weeks wrote:
Grand Moff Boris wrote:
Mixed drinks are doable
, just not during the tournament lol!

Every time you lose a piece you take a shot! The finals will be very interesting :)

Hey, I play better when I drink.

5 months from legal drinking age :/
Anyways, just 3 more days! Hoping TN will be bringing home the regional win.
I'm sorta sure what all of us will be running. But, I'm thinking of changing mine last minute :P

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:21 am 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

Don't feel bad. One of our players decided on his squad during the car ride to Lansing on Saturday morning. I'm still working to see who works best in the squad I'm planning to use.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:49 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Grand Moff Boris wrote:
Sithborg wrote:
Having just done the Atlanta to Kalamazoo drive in one day, this is somewhat tempting...

Lou wrote:
Let me know Scott

You guys are more than welcome. Hope you make it. :)

Didn't realize it was this weekend though. Oops.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:20 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Umm do we have a start time for the event??

[===0=]=============>

Sentinel for Life!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:22 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

audrisampson wrote:
Umm do we have a start time for the event??

The Facebook event says 11 AM, which is when it has started in prior years. It would be nice to get that confirmed, though.

"You can't per aspera ad astra unless there's some aspera in front of your astra. And that means sometimes the aspera gets you." - Donald X. Vaccarino

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:48 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

its looking like Danville is bringing an extra person, just got confirmation from work that i'm off this weekend so looks like I'll be seeing you all there

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:43 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

11 a.m. start time. Confirmed. ;)

The store opens at 10 and a bunch of us are meeting for breakfast around 9ish tomorrow at Shoney's if anyone gets there early.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:13 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Well sadly Danville is down to two people. Sven wasn't feeling so good tonight and had to cancel along with both other people we had invited to take the other spot in the car. So I guess its just HC and me. Yes, I should totally be in bed right now since I have to get ready to go in 4 and a half hours.. :)

[===0=]=============>

Sentinel for Life!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:06 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

We had 14 people in all, including 3 from Atlanta, 3 from Jamestown, TN, 2 from Danville, IL, 1 from Carbondale, 3 locals (our local crowd just isn't what it used to be, sadly), and last but certainly not least, 2 from the Indiana (Indy?). Lol, Les it just occurred to me I don't actually know where you guys are from. :)

Thanks to all who came and for making it a great event. Congratulations to Daniel Stephens, David Weeks, Graham Bingham, and Bronson McNellis for making the top 4 playoffs. Graham beat Brosnon in a hard-fought final match.

Unfortunately, someone threw the squad registration sheets away, or at least I was unable to find them at the end of the day, but hopefully everyone will come on here and post their squads. I know there was 1 Mandalorian, 1 Separatist, 1 Imperial, at least 3 Republic and at least 3 Old Republic.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:16 pm 
Moff Disra
Moff Disra

Did you use the new pairing software? How did it work?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:50 am 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

Congrats to Graham--how many does this make?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:56 am 
Major Tierce
Major Tierce

That's cool. When I was talking to Eric earlier in the week I predicted Graham would win it. Should have started a prediction thread or something.

Any squad info on the Top 4? Or any of the other squads?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:50 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Engineer wrote:
Did you use the new pairing software? How did it work?

We couldn't get it to download. Not sure what the issues were. Les worked on it for almost an hour Friday night.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:52 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Top 4: (not sure on the order of 3 and 4)

Graham (Kavar/Jaq,Carth,Bastila)
Bronson (LV Black n Blue)
Weeks (Gowk/?/Rex/1-2 Omega squad guys)
Daniel (Corran/KC/Dash/Chadra/new2PO)

I didn't see the finals, but the semis (Bronson/Weeks, Daniel/Graham) were both down to the wire.
-------------

My squad:
All four Omega squad guys, Rex, RCTS, R2, Rodian x2, Spaarti x2, Mas, uggie

The last true competitive games I played were at the Owensboro regional last year. I wasn't happy with my other squad ideas and wanted to play new stuff, and I knew this wasn't going to hold up going in, but it was fun to run.

I got clown stomped. :lol:
Would have been worse, but I faced no accurate shooters.

1st round - Daniel
2nd round - Jason Alvey (same squad as Graham)
3rd round - bye
4th round - Graham (ouch, that again? :P )

All great guys to play, and losing was well worth the fun. :)
Thanks to Dennis and everyone who came for a great time.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:00 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

buttcabbge wrote:
Congrats to Graham--how many does this make?

4 by my count.

Congrats Graham - you're gaining on me.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:00 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Hamfist

55 GOWK
33 Captain Rex
24 Commando Fi
24 Commando Atin
23 Foul Moudama
13 Gamorian BG
10 Figrin D'an
9 Doombot
X2 mice
Uggie

Was 4-0 after Swiss. On the day Figrin drew fire each game including a force push 5 to keep my other dudes alive. He also trapped lord Vader in my backfield and allowed me to kill him in round 2.

Lost to lord Vader in the semis in a match where one missed attack or save would have won me the game. Bronson played well and I'm glad he got the 2nd place finish behind my man Graham.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:12 am 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

Yeah, this was number four. We'll see if I can defend either of the other two from last year, as well.

My squad was (link):

--OR Jank--
65 Master Kavar
36 Atton "Jaq" Rand
33 Bastila Shan, Jedi Master
29 Carth Onasi, Old Republic Soldier
14 Old Republic Senator
8 R7 Astromech Droid
9 Mouse Droid x3
6 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2

I'll post a detailed report later. The rest of the top 4 was Bronson's old-school Lord Vader squad with Jarael and Pellaeon; Daniel's Corran Horn pilot band with a Klat. captain, Jagged, Dash, and the dreaded Artoopio; and David Weeks' GOWK pile with Atin, Fi, Foul, and Rex. Aside of that there were mostly a TON of Mace squads, one of which pulverized me in the first round. I was lucky to miss the rest of them.

It was great to see everyone, especially some new faces from Tennessee, and we all had a blast (except for missing the William H. Natcher freeway on the way back twice). We'll try and get the pictures and video online over the next week.

Oh, and most importantly of all, Daniel lost a bet we had and now has to play a squad with a Scout Trooper on Speeder Bike in it at a regional this year.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:26 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

They say the best way to get better is practice, playtest and learn from your mistakes. It seems that regionals have been the best place for that so far. I know that sounds really silly but given that it is the best place to play against tier 1 players bringing their best stuff it can be used like that.

This time I decided to try to play something a bit less fragile then I have at other events recently. Taking notes from the Lansing regional as well as a squad that has been a Danville go to for years this what I played.

Jaster Mareel 54
Mandalorian Quartermaster 26
Mandalorian Captain 23
Mandalorian Scout x4 19/76
Mouse Droids x5 3/15
Uggie x2 3/6

My streak of playing top finalist in regionals continued right from the start. Round 1 I got the pleasure of meeting and playing Bronson. He won the map and put in me on my arch nemisis map Throne Room. I set up on the side with the throne and turn one started to commence. For turn one, I moved all my figures but my commanders into the room with the throne. This was mistake #1, I grossly underestimated how fast a Lord Vader can magically appear in front of my squishy commanders. Turn 2, started and he chose me to go first. I got a break, I could get one commander out. I moved the Quartermaster instead of Captain. Yeah that was stupid.. Vader did a lightsaber sweep and killed the two commanders. My four scouts all shot at Vader and did some serious damage leaving me rather frusterated at the fact I moved the wrong commander. I do think if I would have had my captain Vader would have been defeated and it would have been an entirely different game. Needless to say Vader swapped out and that was my last chance to put any damage on him.

Round 2 I got to play against a droid shooter squad. Once again I lost map and this time ended up on Theed Palace. At least it was a map I liked LOL. Once again I had to bring in my MVP Mado CIO. This game was a fun chess match. His Spider droids had DR so I had to really play conservative and work my activations. He was also working his door control advantage and making things a futher headache lol. Around 20 minutes till end of round the game really started. We were finally in position to take some shots and such. The final shot ability from Jaster really shined in this match punishing my opponent for anything he killed. When the game ended we each had commanders and I had a scout that was about to die then kill his last IG droid.

We took a break from lunch which was a nice chance to get away and re-focus for the last two rounds.

Alright, I've had lunch, some caffiene and was ready to finish this event out. The pairings were called and much to HannahCannon's dismay he got me. His squad was built to direct damage lightning all over the place. This doesn't work to well when you have to target a cloaked figure. This was also the one time all tourney I won the map so we played on Bothan Spy net. Not really much to say here outside, I shot witches.. a lot. This put me at a very nice 2-1 with my loss being a great tie breaker since Bronson was doing really well.

Well round 4 started interesting with a glitch in the pairing software. At first I was supposed to play a GOWK/Windu squad but once the software issue was fixed I ended up with Daniel. This was going to be fun. I wasn't sure if shooting 4 times with each scout was going to be enough against an evading Force absorbing Corran Horne. Once again I brought in my CIO to counter his Dodanna, and once again I lost map and had to play on broken base. I have the broken base map but to be honest I hadn't played on it since I started playing again so I was a bit confused on what to do. I decided on taking he outdoor side figuring I could hide my commanders behind the cannons and move my Scouts into the battle on one of the two sides.

The game started with the usual positioning and killing off the little pieces. Between the two of us, we blew up nearly every door could except for the one that was between the entry room with the big pit and the hallway going into the center hallway. Around a half an hour into the match or so the battle really started. Daniel was set up in the small room with Gambit and was trying to work his way out of the room and at me. I set up my pieces to make an AOO nightmare if Corran Horne were to come after me then tried to pin down his other pieces from the scouts. Surprisingly it was going pretty well for me.

Daniel made what turned out to be the best call of the game and decided to fall back further into gambit forcing me to come after him since I hadn't had gambit at all during the game. This set up major learning experience #2. I saw a group of four squares that from my angle looked like it had red border. This was perfect I could work my way behind that and move into position to once again engage his figures. One MAJOR problem however... it wasnt a wall it was a pit. Well lets just say that 54pts were scored pretty easily and the game switched with Daniel taking a decent lead and honestly killing any chances I had of winning against both Dash and a nearly fully healed Corran.

By this time it was around ten minutes or so till time. I was behind enough on pts where all I felt I could do is either turn this into a really ugly two game win for me or more likely stick Daniel with just a two pt win. I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't have gotten the win myself and honestly it seemed pretty assinine to kill Daniel's chances for a top cut because I was being stubborn. With that said I went ahead and conceded the match.

That left me at a really feel good 2-2. I ended up finishing in 6th and it turns out Daniel was cool enough to give me his Bastilla promo since he had one coming for judging the Atlanta event. That honestly made my day since I had been wanting one since I saw them in Lansing. For my regular prize support I brought home a new map I didn't have and a Moff Jerjorrod to put in my extras box.

Looking back this afternoon I think I'm sitting on a pretty good squad, I just need to find a better map. I think due to money concerns our group will be skipping Chicago so I have a chance to really get my game together and be ready to go for Kokomo and defending my home turf here in Danville.

I'd also like to take the chance to thank Dennis and Big Bang comics for hosting a great event.

[===0=]=============>

Sentinel for Life!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:53 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

audrisampson wrote:
I think due to money concerns our group will be skipping Chicago

Boo!

It's OK to just say you're scared. ;)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next