logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Re: A Sirli Swap
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:43 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I tell you what though night sister mother round 5-6 swap in and do fl3 at the end of turn and the start of next is really nice.

Edit:I may try the defiled instead of Arica. Arica holds up better with built in cunning in case of ABM but. A much larger damage output from the defiler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:57 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Azavander wrote:
Edit:I may try the defiled instead of Arica. Arica holds up better with built in cunning in case of ABM but. A much larger damage output from the defiler

Did you use Blaster Barrage? I'd say that if you can use BB even once against a decent crowd, she's well worth her points (and with Thrawn, you get to use it again the next round thanks to MT). In Imperial squads, I'd personally take Arica over any other shooter, almost every time. The Defiler will do more single-target damage, but Arica is a mass-kill piece, which can give you the activation advantage. In most games, I've been able to get 2 BBs with her, and that's a game-changer every time.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:46 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I did both games took out a lot of scrubs both times. I love arica. The defiler was just an option I was tinkering with because of the synergy with zahn. With so many characacters over 50 hp taking out a couple mid level attackers seemed a better choice.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:58 am 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

I gave it a spin tonight - with this version:

--A Sirli Swap--
42 Silri
32 Thrawn (Mitth'raw'nuruodo)
31 Arica
31 Tyber Zann
24 Zann Consortium Defiler
18 Rukh
8 Mas Amedda
8 R7
6 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2

I got owned by "Local Yoda!", who was playing Galen Marek/Arica/Ozzel/Thrawn - I think it's a pretty tough matchup, as I none of my pieces had the firepower to kill one of his attackers mid-round, and he didn't bunch his pieces to let me get a good blaster barrage off. While Galen can swap in at the end of the round (he also had an Amanin Scout) and kill whoever he wants to.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:29 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

TheHutts wrote:
I gave it a spin tonight - with this version:

--A Sirli Swap--
42 Silri
31 Arica
31 Tyber Zann
24 Zann Consortium Defiler
18 Rukh
8 Mas Amedda
8 R7
6 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2

I got owned by "Local Yoda!", who was playing Galen Marek/Arica/Ozzel/Thrawn - I think it's a pretty tough matchup, as I none of my pieces had the firepower to kill one of his attackers mid-round, and he didn't bunch his pieces to let me get a good blaster barrage off. While Galen can swap in at the end of the round (he also had an Amanin Scout) and kill whoever he wants to.

Ozzel was the difference, forget the rest of the squad. If you had dropped Ruhk for Ozzel + 2 activations you probably would have won. I'm not saying Ozzel is better everytime, but in Imp swap vs Imp swap with a big slugger - whoever out-activates usually wins

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:42 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Thank for the update, I really feel like there is a core of a squad here that cold be tier 1, and I really want to play it at regional but I also want to do well.

I think, that Ozzel is a must in this squad. You have to be able to out activate otherwise you can get eaten up. I was introducing someone to the game yesterday at lunch and I had a LeGowkcy Squad and this one, So i just pulled out a Rex, R2 and GOwk and pulled Sirli, Zahn and NSM. I was playing friendly and showing how the game works and stuff but he pretty well beat the snot out of me while I did 4 on Obi. Clearly the squad is not designed to be run in that format. But it did show how fragile the squad can be with out careful placement. (Simialr thing happend to me this weekend where I miss counted and Cad took out sirli in one barage.)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:39 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

After some thought I am going to try the below has SS and Momaw for scrub kill.

--A Sirli Swap--
42 Silri
31 Tyber Zann
27 Nightsister Mother
18 Moff Nyna Calixte
15 Momaw Nadon
11 Admiral Ozzel
8 Mas Amedda
16 R7 Astromech Droid x2

Preferred Reinforcements:
(Tyber Zann) 4 Gran Raider
(Tyber Zann) 6 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2

(200pts. 13 activations)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:56 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

TimmerB123 wrote:
Ozzel was the difference, forget the rest of the squad. If you had dropped Ruhk for Ozzel + 2 activations you probably would have won. I'm not saying Ozzel is better everytime, but in Imp swap vs Imp swap with a big slugger - whoever out-activates usually wins

Even with Ozzel I wouldn't have out-activated the other squad, although Ozzel might be helpful in other matchups. I'm a bit scared of running Ozzel without Pallaeon in a 16 activation squad; do you have guidelines around that? What map is best to let Arica get a Blaster Barrage off and kill activations?

To be fair, I don't think Imperials is my thing. I like to play them in practice games, to try and become a better player, but my win rate with them is way less that .5.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:55 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Arica's best map is probably Chancellor's Starship (aka Throne Room), since it has very large, wide-open rooms on either side of gambit.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:29 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

thereisnotry wrote:
Arica's best map is probably Chancellor's Starship (aka Throne Room), since it has very large, wide-open rooms on either side of gambit.

Completely. It is my go-to Imperial Map. Protect the fragile commanders and have long shooting lanes and open rooms for big guns.

As far as when to Ozzel and when not to - there is no hard and fast rule. If you're going that route - what really hurts you is when you DON'T out-activate but you're stuck with Ozzel. Arica helps maybe level the field if you don't out-activate. Yes Pellaeon is an option to oust Ozzel (and obviously Ysalimiri has it's own benefit), but it tends to take up valuable activation slots to do that. Other methods include: running Ozzel into Gambit right away. Dammed if they kill him, dammed if they don't. My Stealth N Blue squad (Mitthrawn, Arica, Lobot, Cad Bane, Ozzel, + tons of activations) allows me to bring in a Muun Tactics Broker with Lobot if I am playing against another Master Tactician (Usually another Thrawn), and then I can burn Ozzel when I find him more of a hinderance than a benefit. It's usually worth giving up the 11 pts at some point to be able to do more things other than a end of round big strike.

Imperials are not easy to play. They have a lot of important tech that has to work in harmony, and the big hitters (shooters) are often fairly fragile, and must be used carefully.

Lose one key piece and the team falls apart.