logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Black Magic
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:36 am 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Here's a really fun squad i won a few games with the other day. The concept isn't exactly a new one, but the Sith Alchemist really makes this squad a lot better i think. I set up so that Naga Sadow, Jarael and all the scrubs all get +10 damage from his sith weapon ability.

64 Naga Sadow
62 Darth Revan, Sith Lord
23 Jarael
18 Sith Alchemist
14 Exar Kun, Dark Force Spirit
4 Gran Raider
6 Mouse Droid x2
3 Rodian Brute
6 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2

200 points, 11 activations

The combination of Revan and Sadow is fantastic. Revan runs in and attacks if able to. Then he swaps out with Naga Sadow who dishes out 60-100 damage and activates as much as possible with sith sorcery.

My trade thread: http://swmgamers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=8437

Post subject: Re: Black Magic
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:18 am 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

I like it! Naga is getting a lot more play with the SA and Revan is ideal for the payload delivery and then oops double Sith Sorcery anyone...

I just like to see a shooter in there over Jarael.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:53 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Who is Exar attached to?
I'd suggest dropping Exar and Jarael for Atton Rand, since he'll do more for your squad over the course of a match than Jarael will. Jarael can triple-attack for 60dmg (at most) and activate with those attacks; Atton will do 60 dmg each round at range (which you currently lack), and he has override, which your squad currently lacks.

Making that switch will give you 1 point left over, so you could upgrade your Rodian Brute to a Gran Raider if you wanted to.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:15 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

thereisnotry wrote:
Who is Exar attached to?
I'd suggest dropping Exar and Jarael for Atton Rand, since he'll do more for your squad over the course of a match than Jarael will. Jarael can triple-attack for 60dmg (at most) and activate with those attacks; Atton will do 60 dmg each round at range (which you currently lack), and he has override, which your squad currently lacks.

Making that switch will give you 1 point left over, so you could upgrade your Rodian Brute to a Gran Raider if you wanted to.

A gran wouldnt be an upgrade though. Revan is a swap backwards squad so the brutes extra 2 attack would be more useful to kill enemy uggies with. In a swap forward squad like Thrawn swaps the gran would be much better due to its stealth.

I do agree with your other points though. Jaq would give you the third attacker you need and also give you a shooter. Exar would help a lot to get Naga's sorcery going. So I'd have to seriously weigh the pros and cons of running Exar ghost over the Alchemist.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:37 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

The issue with Exar in a Revan swap, is that you can't keep up. In other Sith Sorcery squads, he is a necessity. It is just too hard to keep up with Revan. Of course, I tend to play Revan quite aggressively, with his massive movement to set up a secondary beat.

It all depends on how you want to play Naga. With Revan, you are rewarded for speed, which sort of goes against the point of having Exar and Naga (trust me, you need a few rounds to build up FPs). If you want a beat, that is also not totally screwed by droids, I would suggest Maul.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:26 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Thanks for the input all.

Exar Kun is attached to Jarael for the sith rage, and also helps with the sith sorcery saves if he ever makes it that far up the battlefield.
I built Jarael into the squad to maximize the usefulness of the Sith Alchemist. Using him with just Naga Sadow is hard to justify i think. Atton would be a good alternative to Jarael, but then i might want to drop the Alchemist as well, so i can still fit in Exar to give Atton sith rage and extra rerolls/movement if necessary.
Maul is a good alternative to Sadow, but i'm loving the double sith sorcery too much to give him the boot :twisted:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:51 am 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Okay so version 2.0 will be something like this for starters:

64 Naga Sadow
62 Darth Revan, Sith Lord
36 Atton "Jaq" Rand
6 Mouse Droid x2
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist

There are still 29 points left to fill, but i'm having a tough time deciding what to do with them. The Alchemist would only affect Naga Sadow, so that's probably a waste of points. I'm debating whether or not to include Exar, as it would basically be giving Atton sith rage for 14 extra points. 29 points of filler is also a little over the top i think. I would like a fourth and minor attacker, but i don't see any obvious choices. What would you guys do with them?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:54 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

With 2.0 definitely not the Alchemist.

I like the thought of these guys together, but Exar really helps with the Sith Socery. When you get ready to do the big double Sith Socery, you need to be ready to activate them all, and Exar is key for that. Remember that though the ghost is slow, he can walk through walls. So start him directly across from the main group of enemies and march him straight towards them. Atton getting rage is great, but be prepared to separate them to ensure Naga's big trick.

Otherwise, a second small attacker that also helps Atton would be the Klatooinian captain.

You could actually fit both if you drop the uggie, but that might be a little low on activations.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:19 am 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Well what about something like my "hunter games" squad. You lose reven and his massive swap but in my style with naga and an SA and exar it's ok to lose him. Add in the huntress for her bag of tricks. Now if they want to reroll there save 15 or activate it costs 2fp for them to reroll. I played around a little with my hunter games squad and the problem that I ran into was hitting consistently with both naga an jareal. It just seems to me now that if you swap in naga he will die that next round if not that same round. With naga I think exar dfs is essential not only for SS but also for his survivability with illusion. If you ran maul with reven maul could take out a key piece in one round where naga can not. I understand the strength and ability of reven but IMO, I feel you could do all right losing him.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:09 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Momow Nadan.

Revan squads run into problems vs teams that just build a wall of dudes and slowly wear your dudes down. Drop Momow into place with Revan and blow all the fodder up. Sith beats can generally take any other factions beats 1 on 1. They just can't kill activations very quickly. Momow fixes that problem.

For your 29

15 Momow
8 R7
X2 brutes

Now you have double override (Oh Snap!!) and always include brutes to run with Revan. You may find you have a sweet move 12 and assault opportunity in the first phase of actions and you don't want to drop one of your other attackers in quite yet. So run 12 and do 60 and throw a brute in.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:17 am 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I'm not quite ready to drop Revan, as he's the one providing the mobility the squad needs to catch your opponent off guard.
The other day i killed Lord Vader because my opponent made a placement mistake. I ran Revan up 12 squares and hit him for 60 damage, swapped in Naga Sadow who dished out another 70. That took care of Vader, and on top of that i activated more than half his squad with sorcery.

I'm probably going to go with the R7, 2 Rodians and either Momaw Nadon or Exar. The Klatooinian Captain might be a good choice as well, as it would give me another shooter. I'll try that out as well i think, as i can easily see myself playing this squad a lot. It's just such a fun concept.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:28 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Weeks wrote:
Momow Nadan.

Revan squads run into problems vs teams that just build a wall of dudes and slowly wear your dudes down. Drop Momow into place with Revan and blow all the fodder up. Sith beats can generally take any other factions beats 1 on 1. They just can't kill activations very quickly. Momow fixes that problem.

For your 29

15 Momow
8 R7
X2 brutes

Now you have double override (Oh Snap!!) and always include brutes to run with Revan. You may find you have a sweet move 12 and assault opportunity in the first phase of actions and you don't want to drop one of your other attackers in quite yet. So run 12 and do 60 and throw a brute in.

This. I ran my last Revan squad with 2 Sith Acolytes with Repulse 3 to clear out Mice and Diplomat walls.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:57 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Luckily it's not that popular in my group to use walls, but Momaw Nadon is good against all sorts of grunts and mice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:17 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

biggsy wrote:
Luckily it's not that popular in my group to use walls, but Momaw Nadon is good against all sorts of grunts and mice

Yep, and he totally decimates the Spaarti Clone Deathshot squads. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:08 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

For those 29pts. why not put in lobot and give yourself plenty of options on what to bring in for reinforcements.