logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Just an Idea
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:53 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Is it possible for something in the activation control department to get printed in Republic? something like ozzel(considering he was republic before the empire) and maybe even somethin with master tactician? i mean i dont see why that would be a problem since youd think the republic would of had both.

Post subject: Re: Just an Idea
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:32 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

With all the movement breakers they have, i don't think that would be a very good idea. They'd be able to outactivate you, then hit you hard almost anywhere on the map. Bad combo, if you ask me.

My trade thread: http://swmgamers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=8437

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:13 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

AcheronFate wrote:
Is it possible for something in the activation control department to get printed in Republic? something like ozzel(considering he was republic before the empire) and maybe even somethin with master tactician? i mean i dont see why that would be a problem since youd think the republic would of had both.

Each faction has its highs and lows. In Republic you have movement brakers in combination with bricks. Not having activation control is just one of the downsides.

[===0=]=============>

Sentinel for Life!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:52 am 
One of the Sith on Malgus' Shuttle
One of the Sith on Malgus' Shuttle

I really don't want to see activation control in Republic. Especially since the Republic already has 3 forms of movement breakers, a piece designed to exterminate swarms, and a piece designed to absorb damage.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:22 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

id need to see more proof then just Saying its a bad idea...cuz i dont see it being a problem...they dont have the pieces like rebel cannon to do that and sooo a squad out activates you?....and.....if you run gowk mace that dont leave much fodder for the out activation builds....other activation squads STILL give it fits especially strafers....so i dont see any REAL problem here....if your gonna print things for the game go big..or just go home...love the knee jerk reaction responses instead of actually contemplating the fact that it could be interesting and not broke .....if you really think its not that brokenot as bad as some things ive seen thus far come out...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:30 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

another thing...the republic became the empire soooo it stands to reason they should have some of the same things....i mean not to mention that the other factions always get left out to dry when it comes to being made top tier....no point in printin more things if you wont just outright bring other factions up to a top tier level...no excuse for every faction NOT to be able to compete in the top tier and have a good chance...thought the holes in the original cards were the reasons for the vsets?...then most ideas i see gettin posted get shot down as "too broke" or "not in with the story".....the story is cool but really idc cuz its a game first and foremost...soooo make the game worth playing and stop callin it too broke just cuz someone else came up with it or you didnt really stop to think the potential that could come of it...oh and if i pissed you off....lol sorry but i could care less bout a mad nerd XD lol so dont bother railing on me lol

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:26 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Republic is already top tier. Just look at the last few years Regional final 4s and GenCon top 8s. Many Republic squads. Most based around Yodabuck and Panaka. All have R2.

Movement breakers galore.

The factions are already too similar in my opinion with the fact that they both have board-wide swap. Mas made them the only 2 factions with board wide commander effects (Yammosk eventually added the Vong). That alone makes both the Republic and the Empire competitive.

Oh and now GOWK is full strength again

Yularen giving opportunist would be very scary if they could out-activate. Seriously - if the Republic can compete now - they could DOMINATE with master tactician and activation control.

Let's look at what you could do with Ozzel and Thrawn in Republic.

--Silliness--
54 Cad Bane
51 Yoda on Kybuck
32 Thrawn (Mitth'raw'nuruodo)
11 Admiral Ozzel
9 R2-D2, Astromech Droid
8 Mas Amedda
8 R7 Astromech Droid
3 Mouse Droid
21 Rodian Brute x7
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist

(200pts. 16 activations)

Even if you don't outactivate, Yodabuck can still take a lick and keep doing his theing. And then you WILL out-activate.

Cad Bane mops up the rest. This is essentially my Stealth N Blue squad that is a 2x Regional champion squad, except we upgraded Arica to Yodabuck (and that is a big upgrade!).

If you face Bastila she has no choice but to pop ABM 1st round. If she doesn't she is dead. Then she can only do it for 2 rounds and then you get to go nuts in round three. AND THAT'S YOUR WORST MATCHUP!

This squad is just one option

Honestly - nobody would win in competitive environments without Republic if they got Master Tactician and Activation Control

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:28 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Okay, how about this: as someone who has played the Skybuck squad (Yobuck, GenSky, Dash/Rex, Panaka) a lot and with good success (dozens of wins, and a Top 8 at Gencon), I'll tell you that once Skybuck out-activates the opposition, it's game-over. The range and damage-output of that squad vs a squad with less activations is just over the top.

Some basic options when Skybuck outactivates the opponent's squad:
--Run Yoda 26 at the end of the round and eliminate all fodder; stay deep in enemy territory if it's safe, or else swap out, leaving a Brute behind. Next round, the enemy is out-activated even further, and all of the Republic pieces are sitting pretty.
--With the previous scenario, drop Dash/Rex in Yoda's place, and have them quad-attack before moving to safety; now your opponent is severely flanked and vulnerable.
--Run Yoda 16 to put 60dmg on a significant piece, swap Dash/Rex in for the kill. If you win init, you can either run them back to safety or make another kill; if you lose init, you've traded a 28/33 pt piece for something far more important. Yobuck is still at full health and can do 60dmg to something else next round, followed by Anakin to finish. In this way, your opponent loses a significant piece each round, and there's nothing he can do about it.

I hope you can see that, if you add tempo control to the Republic, they become far more powerful than they've ever been.

People aren't giving knee-jerk reactions to your proposal...they're rejecting your proposal for very good reasons.

EDIT: What Tim said! :lol: [we were typing at the same time]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:58 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

AcheronFate wrote:
id need to see more proof then just Saying its a bad idea...cuz i dont see it being a problem...they dont have the pieces like rebel cannon to do that and sooo a squad out activates you?....and.....if you run gowk mace that dont leave much fodder for the out activation builds....other activation squads STILL give it fits especially strafers....so i dont see any REAL problem here....if your gonna print things for the game go big..or just go home...love the knee jerk reaction responses instead of actually contemplating the fact that it could be interesting and not broke .....if you really think its not that brokenot as bad as some things ive seen thus far come out...

Just for future clarity would you mind changing your typing style? I have to read your posts 4-5 times to understand what you're saying.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:09 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

AcheronFate wrote:

No they don't have the exact same options, but they do have Yoda on Kybuck and 3 other significant movement breakers including boardwide swap. If they outactivate, they would be able to get their beatstick/main shooter virtually anywhere on the map for a late round killing frenzy. Then swap out for even more firepower or a rodian. EVERY round. That's insane.

AcheronFate wrote:
another thing...the republic became the empire soooo it stands to reason they should have some of the same things....i mean not to mention that the other factions always get left out to dry when it comes to being made top tier....no point in printin more things if you wont just outright bring other factions up to a top tier level...no excuse for every faction NOT to be able to compete in the top tier and have a good chance...thought the holes in the original cards were the reasons for the vsets?...then most ideas i see gettin posted get shot down as "too broke" or "not in with the story".....the story is cool but really idc cuz its a game first and foremost...soooo make the game worth playing and stop callin it too broke just cuz someone else came up with it or you didnt really stop to think the potential that could come of it...oh and if i pissed you off....lol sorry but i could care less bout a mad nerd XD lol so dont bother railing on me lol

I really don't think you make any sense here. So the Old Republic became the Republic, hence they should get it as well? There are already too many factions that have access to some of the same strategies in my opinion. I like the idea of every faction having their own flavor, and the various designers of the virtual sets have done a good job with this so far.
Also, i think you're way too late with the 'left out in the cold' comment. Where have you been for the past 3 sets? Every faction is actually playable now. WotC left some out in the cold, and the designers are still doing their best to make up for that. You make it sound like you want the exact same options for every single faction. Why? That's not what you call potential, that's pretty much ruining the game.
I don't think you pissed anyone off. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, as are you. But there's no need to get childish about it just because people don't think your ideas aren't any good.

My trade thread: http://swmgamers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=8437

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:51 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

AcheronFate wrote:
id need to see more proof then just Saying its a bad idea...cuz i dont see it being a problem...

Have you played at GenCon or regionals where you'd face players at the top of the game? Sometimes the local meta won't give you an idea of the power of a certain squad or strategy. I didn't understand how to play swap squads correctly until I read Bill's articles and posts on Black & Blue. Trevor crushed me at GenCon one year running a Skybuck squad; Tim used Dodonna and a mouse dump to outactivate and take command of a GenCon match against me a few years back. Both Trevor and Tim are great players who have enjoyed success at the highest level of play and have weighed in on this thread. The validity of their opinions (or proof, if you will) is in their success. This isn't a matter of faction flavor; giving the Republic tempo control is a bad idea.

Maybe you could try some playtesting within your own playgroup. For the sake of the testing, just give Ozzel affinity with Republic for awhile. Let your group play with and against him. I'm pretty sure if you all are objective in your tests you'll see the truth in what people in this thread are saying.

Being organized is for people who are too lazy to look for their stuff.

Lasers make everything better... except Alderaan.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:06 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

This is partially why I want you to come along with us on these Regionals. Things are very different then outside of our little group in Danville. The game has a much much larger scope. Unlike us most players outside of Danville have a large majority of the figs created and have played for years gaining the experience to break the game as much as possible. In Danville most of us don't have the figs or the experience, that includes me. I have years of play yes but 90% of that was in OR/Sep/Rep/Rebel.

With that said I'm not asking you to blindly believe that what the Vset designers have done and will do is an act of God, heck I have a few critiques myself. However that being said the factions are pretty well defined now. They each have their ups and downs and changing that at this point is just a powder keg of a disaster. Honestly if it were done, it wouldn't effect us much in Danville but it would absolutely destroy the game outside of groups like ours.

How about this, what would Magic be like if the color black got green's mana ramp, and blue's counter spells, Red's direct damage, and Whites swift creatures. I think its safe to say that there would no reason for a color wheel. I have played many many CCGs that did just that, and they usually only lasted for an expansion or two. Why play the game if all the deck possibilities are the same?? Trust me people didnt no matter what flashy liscence was attached to the game.

[===0=]=============>

Sentinel for Life!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:25 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Weeks wrote:
AcheronFate wrote:

Just for future clarity would you mind changing your typing style? I have to read your posts 4-5 times to understand what you're saying.

This is good advice. It is far, far too similar to a personality we've had to ban multiple times on both sites, which does no good for convincing anyone of your points.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:37 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

haha ive never been on ANY site other than this...i only hear things here and there bout that bloomilk thing im not that "banned person" lmao ask Audri shes known me a long time

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:23 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

You know I see where you are coming Sam on this faction has this but does not have this why can't they.but that's were it stops cause the thing is, the game us called star wars minis, what they are ding us sticking to the story and keeping it canon. This is in my opinion is not first and foremost a game, it's is the preservation of the story keeping it how either the movies, the cartoon, our the extended universe portrays it. Every character that's Ben made from the v sets has stayed with uh the canon if the start wars universe. The secondly the game comes next in order if precession in my opinion. I mean there are other mini based games d&d minis, dream something our other I don't remember the exact name and many others as well. I know very little about them personally but there isn't a story line for them to stick with unlike starwars. atleast in star wars there is diversity.