logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Re: MI regional Results
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:55 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Ouch Tim, you were the worst matchup for Chris to see in the top. Poor mando scouts.. they got buzz sawed by speeder bikes.

[===0=]=============>

Sentinel for Life!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:15 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

audrisampson wrote:
Ouch Tim, you were the worst matchup for Chris to see in the top. Poor mando scouts.. they got buzz sawed by speeder bikes.

What!?! Not at all! He had JASTER MAREEL! Those scouts gave death shots that would have killed my speeders with no problem.

I rolled a 6 on the first init to get reserves, which helped me out-activate him or else it would have been a very different game.

Without the extra activations, I would have had a very hard time getting to Jaster. I killed Jaster and then it was essentially over.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:29 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

This is the problem with multi-attack-on-the-move figures. They other take out the counter first, or they ignore it until everything else is gone and then win through concession/points.

Can't wait for set 4 to hit.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:59 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Grand Moff Boris wrote:
This is the problem with multi-attack-on-the-move figures. They other take out the counter first, or they ignore it until everything else is gone and then win through concession/points.

Got something big in the horizon huh, Boris?

@Tim, Oh gotcha that would be pretty bad.

[===0=]=============>

Sentinel for Life!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:46 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

audrisampson wrote:
Grand Moff Boris wrote:

Got something big in the horizon huh, Boris?

@Tim, Oh gotcha that would be pretty bad.

Well, you've already seen the Squib Trader. He's only the beginning. :)

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:01 pm 
Hand of the Sith
Hand of the Sith

It was fun even if i was just a judge. Hope to make it to NY, Penn, Danville, Wisc, Ill, and Ind.

Garry how many miles was it one way?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:53 am 
Major Tierce
Major Tierce

Here is my tourney report

Rd 1 against Luke with Lord Vader Swap and Ozzel. I won map so we were on jabba's palace. This can be one of my more difficult matchups, but I was able to put Luke in a game-winning pickle. I ran a rodian down and then swapped in an unactivated echani right down by his command center (who were in the small room with the door locked). She could get to where she had LOS on thrawn if I could get the door open and I did have an r7 which could get over there and see it. Since he could only go 1 with Ozzel that left him with the only choice really of moving vader to base the echani and hoping that he could survive 8 shots on vader (4 with cover) to not lose. He didn't and after that it was pretty much just cleaning up the rest of the stuff and commanders.

Rd 2 against Audri. She won map so we were on throne room. I took the side with the turbo lifts in teh back to hide my commanders and she started in the big room. She didn't pop bastilla first round so I knew that I might be able to get some shots first round or at the start of the second. Then she moved Mira up and left her where she can be hit with a long (and very tight) LOS from down the hallway into the big room. I moved up the R7 to open the door then blasted Mira. We finished out the round, rolled for init and then she conceded knowing that she wouldn't be able to win the match.

Rd 3 against Tim B. He won map so on throne room again. This was my closest match all day. We played cat and mouse with me slowly advancing into the strafe proof squares. Tim had a chance to kill Veers but some bad dice left him with 10 left. We traded his 2 speeders for my 2 echanis. Then I had damaged the Storm commando and had a chance to swap in and finish it off and take out lobot but missed one of the attacks on the sc so couldn't hit lobot which kept doors in his favor. He eliminated my last pieces just as time was called and even got a crit to help take out Thawn so he could get the 3 point win. I think all his guys who were left had all taken some damage and he had spread it around masterfully.

Rd 4 against Bill. I won map again and my shooters found plenty of lanes and his Zannah only made 1 SSM save (even with all the re-rolls) and it that was game over.

Rd5 against Matt P. He won map and brought in a Quednek and Master Shaped it so it could kill an Echani in one hit. And then rolled a 1 for init to bring in another on rd 2 I think. It was a back and forth affair trading an Echani for a JH then getting the first quedneck. Traded Veers for someone and then in the end he just ran out of guys to trade with.

That made me 4-1 with 12 so I knew I should be in the final 4. Went to check on Laura who was 3-1 going into last round only to find out she had lost to mando death shots and that Chris would likely be in top 4. Waited around for round to finish to find out that I had Chris in the Top 4 and his Mando death shots.

Semis. Against Chris and his death shot mandos. This was another cat and mouse game. Used accurate to pick off mice where I could. Then ran around the corner to get the gambit lead by trading an echani for his scout/mouse in gambit while I still had someone else there. Then I took out another scout with no repercussions because I got the mouse by it first. Then I found a cover free line on a third and set it up so veers took the shots back. Then he finished off veers. I think I Traded the last scout for an echani. Which left the last echani to deal with the rest. Took out the captain and some more fodder before time was called. I had a significant points lead and with another round or 2 would have been able to get to the build total.

Finals. Against Gerry and his Accurate Storm Commandos. Gerry wins map so we are on his cargo docks. We set up and to my surprise he swaps GA Thrawn for Thrawn. If he swaps Veers for Nyna to give himself superstealth the game goes very different. But, I find a line to one of his commandos in round one. Then I win init round 2 and kill a second one and at that point he concedes. If he takes SS instead then it becomes much more interesting and probably is more of a dice rolling contest (init/shields/evade). Since he only has 3 commandos my goal would become to trade an Echani with a commando and hope that I had enough firepower left over to work over the rest of his squad. Would have been intense for sure.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:03 am 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

Lou wrote:
Gerry how many miles was it one way?

Lou it was about 350mi from Lansing to Chateau Russell and elapsed time was just 5.5 hrs. PM sent.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:17 am 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

urbanjedi wrote:
Finals. Against Gerry and his Accurate Storm Commandos. Gerry wins map so we are on his cargo docks. We set up and to my surprise he swaps GA Thrawn for Thrawn. If he swaps Veers for Nyna to give himself superstealth the game goes very different. But, I find a line to one of his commandos in round one. Then I win init round 2 and kill a second one and at that point he concedes. If he takes SS instead then it becomes much more interesting and probably is more of a dice rolling contest (init/shields/evade). Since he only has 3 commandos my goal would become to trade an Echani with a commando and hope that I had enough firepower left over to work over the rest of his squad. Would have been intense for sure.

Jason, I really wish I had both my wits and that decision back. It would have been a glorious battle, just goes to show that you should always have a giant Red Bull b4 the playoffs. ;-)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:40 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Thanks for the play reports. What great way to start the regional season!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:48 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

DarphNader wrote:
Jason, I really wish I had both my wits and that decision back. It would have been a glorious battle, just goes to show that you should always have a giant Red Bull b4 the playoffs. ;-)

I don't think Redbull would have helped my nerves but I so agree with ya on wanting a few decisions back :)

[===0=]=============>

Sentinel for Life!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:23 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

I've got some time this morning, so I might as well post my play report. My (much-hyped on SHNN, and soon to be waaaay over-exposed in Regional play) squad:

--Mace in the Face (7th place, 2012 Michigan Regionals)--
65 Mace Windu, Legacy of the Light Side
47 General Skywalker
23 Captain Panaka
23 Foul Moudama
9 R2-D2, Astromech Droid
8 Mas Amedda
8 R7 Astromech Droid
5 Spaarti Clone Trooper Demolitionist
12 Rodian Brute x4

(200pts. 12 activations)

The first round I drew Bob Clark, a local player, who was working with an Omega Squad build. I won map roll (my map was Cantina), and he set up mostly in the storage room. We converged in the private lounge around the end of round 1, and I ran Mace in to start round 2. Unfortunately, even with two force points, I failed to rolled a critical, and with his shields 2, I think I only put about 30-40 damage on one guy (instead of killing or grievously wounding several, as I had hoped). Then Bob unloaded on Mace and, by the time he got out of there, he was down to 10 hp. At this point, we've each made a few kills, and I'm somewhat up on points with gambit, but there's no way to insure my victory without risking Mace. In the end, I come up just short, and Bob manages to survive. 0-1

My second round appointment was John, another local player. John's a younger player who just recently started playing with us. John was running a Separatist squad with Grievous, Supreme Commander, a Jedi Hunter Droid, Savage Oppress, and Count Dooku of Serenno. He set up in the atrium on my map, and promptly advanced Savage and Grievous down the left side, while Count Dooku headed up the middle. Unfortunately, he wasn't anticipating the insane range of my squad, which closed on Savage and Grievous very quickly. I killed Grievous with Mace (including a crit), and got some good hits on Savage with Anakin. The next round, I moved Mace back in to finish Savage off, while the rest of my squad focused on Count Dooku and the droids. There wasn't much John could do to combat both the range and the damage output of my squad, and the rest of his squad went down pretty quickly. 1-1, 3 points

Third round, I drew Ben Ferguson and his Cad Bane/Jedi Exile combo. I knew that Cad Bane had to be my biggest target in this situation--even without the Exile's CE, he's still too brutal to have around. One of the strengths of my squad is that the Momentum allows Mace to kill 80-90 HP shooters, like Cad, in one activation, without needing to roll a critical. So I sat back and watched where he put Cad Bane, so I could figure out how to get there. I won map roll again, and I was set up on the Atrium side, with Ben's squad starting in the storage room. Ben clustered Cad, Aurra Sing, and a Jedi Watchman together in one of the doorways, so I would have to run past the Watchman to get to the other two. I didn't really mind taking the one AoO with Cad Bane as the prize (and maybe even putting some damage on Aurra, as well), so I towed, lifted, and ran into the middle of them. I riposted the Watchman's AoO (20 damage on him), and laid into Cad Bane. The second attack was a critical, which killed him and generated a flurry on Aurra Sing--another crit, another flurry. I think I rolled a total of three crits in a row, but maybe once the second attack had totally resolved, I rolled another crit on the third. In any case, by the end of this sequence, all three of his figures were dead. In the next two rounds, Mace and Ani tracked down the rest of his squad and handled them similarly. I honestly felt a little bit bad about this one--I've been on the receiving end of enough dice-based beatings to know how much it sucks. However, this match did confirm the squad's potential for me. 2-1, 6 points.

In the fourth round, I was paired with Chris Elwell, playing Bastilla, Master Thon, Carth, and Jaq Rand. Even though my squad doesn't rely on CEs that much (they help, but the squad still functions without them), I knew I needed to get to Bastilla first round, if possible. I knew I probably wouldn't last that long against his shooters at +10 damage. I won map roll; he set up in the Atrium. I knew from playtesting with Jason that I could get to the stairs leading into the Atrium first round, but no further, so I probably couldn't get to her unless he moved her. During the first round, I moved my Rodians into place to get as many doors open as possible, towed up Foul, ran up Ani, and swapped in Mace, then waited. I was sort of expecting Chris to activate ABM first round, and I wasn't sure how far up I wanted to go in that case. However, he made the decision to move Bastilla up a few squares, to the stairs leading into the Atrium. As soon as I saw that, I knew I probably had him, because I could get to Bastilla AND not have to worry about her force ability this round. I ran in with Mace, triggering a few (missed) AoOs, and promptly took out Bastilla with my attacks, including a crit. I could have stayed there into the next round and taken my chances, but I knew he still had some firepower left, and I thought I would need Mace at least for Master Thon, if not his shooters. Also, I'd positioned my tower/lifter/swappers carefully enough that I wouldn't lose much ground by swapping out. So, at the beginning of round 2, I swapped out Mace for a Rodian. Chris got some shots on Foul, but not enough to kill him, and then my forces came charging back in, taking out Carth and the Baron Do Sage, and putting some damage on Thon. After that, it was just a question of taking the AoOs from Thon to keep my momentum going (particularly with Ani) and landing enough hits, between the attacks, ripostes, and Djem Sos, to take him down. 3-1, 9 points

As Jason mentioned, my last round was against Chris from NY and his Mando death shots. This is the first time all day I DIDN'T win map roll (he had Muun Grand Plaza), and I knew this squad was trouble. I was probably also a little complacent, since I knew I was going to be at least 3-2, and that was all I hoped for going in. Whatever the case, I wasn't as aggressive as I needed to be with the squad, and I wound up pretty much a sitting duck. I did have a nice moment when I used Panaka to Bodyguard a shot on R2 from the Jawa Scavenger, but, otherwise, the squad didn't do a whole lot. That's not to take anything away from Chris, who played well and brought something I wasn't expecting to see. However, for my own memories of the event, I do wish I'd played a little harder and taken a few more risks. Oh well, there's always next tournament, right? 3-2, 9 points

Overall, I wound up in 7th place, which is by far my best finish at one of these things, and ahead of two HOFers. I also won the squad award, making three of those so far. So all in all, a pretty great day for the urbans.

Also, our local player Will's pairing software got its first real try-out at this event, and it worked GREAT!

We were so happy that so many people showed up. Hope to see most of you at future regionals :mj: