logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Cerberus Cannon
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:52 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

I had way to much fun playing Mira Cannon at Lansing so I started looking back at the flaws of the squad. My first big mistake was only running one big gun. That got me killed rather quickly against LoGOWKey. So this time I may have gone to far to the other side. The other issued I tried to address was the fact that I couldn't out activate anyone and save my shots for later. So here is attempt number 2.

09 Uggie x3
18 Mouse Droids x6
28 OR Senator x2
33 Bastilla Shan, Jedi Master
29 Carth Onasi, OR Soldier
36 Atton "Jaq" Rand
47 Mira

The map choice will probably be Theed Palace, I have a bad love affair with that map right now.

[===0=]=============>

Sentinel for Life!

Last edited by audrisampson on Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Cerebus Cannon
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:41 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

That is a lot of ranged firepower, for lots of damage with the Senator shots. Furthermore, having 2 diplomats in there will help a lot vs the melee-heavy GOWK/Windu squads.

Along that vein, one change you might consider is to work in a Caamasi Noble and a Gran Raider (drop an Ug and 2 Mice) so that you can set up an invulnerable Diplomat-Wall in those 3-square-wide doorways. You need some effective way to protect your squishy shooters, and a Diplo-Wall is a good way to do it.

You'd lose an activation, but you'd create massive headaches for many squads. If you set it up right, by the time your opponent gets through the Diplo-Wall, you'll already have whittled down his squad quite a bit. I don't think this is always the way to go, but I figured I'd mention it since you've already got 2 diplomats anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:55 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Yes, yes, to TINT you listen!

I like this a lot. Mira vs stealth, carth vs unacted guys, jaq vs living. The wall of nobles keeps Melee squads such as Yobuck from attacking you if you set it up right.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:04 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Weeks wrote:
Yes, yes, to TINT you listen!

I like this a lot. Mira vs stealth, carth vs unacted guys, jaq vs living. The wall of nobles keeps Melee squads such as Yobuck from attacking you if you set it up right.

When Republic you face, Mira's first target, R2 is. [After that, Mace and GOWK will have an extremely difficult time getting to you. But if R2 can drop Mace into the mix behind the wall, you'll be in real trouble.]

The only danger in using a Diplo-Wall is those tricky LOS's, which will allow your opponent to snipe one of your diplomats, thus rendering your wall useless. So you need to do lots of pre-tournament planning to know where you want to set up your walls and where the tricky LOS's are.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:08 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Thanks for all the great responses, I'm certainly going to try the diplomat idea :) First playtest should be here in a few minutes against SvenBlackSunVigo and a Republic Handmaiden squad and then maybe seps :). I'll keep ya posted :)

[===0=]=============>

Sentinel for Life!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:53 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

So since audri is away from the computer today i will fill you in on how the matches went, the first of which was a republic version of handmaidens. it was using admiral yularen and panaka with r2 and rodian diplomats, well needless to say i think that i killed some of her mouse droids and that was about it otherwise handmaidens made for a pretty good mop versus this team, also it was played on rhen var map. in my defense still working on the handmaiden republic build i might post it up in squads later for some feed back.
game 2 was a fight to say the least i played the squad that i think i may be bringing to lansing seppy lancer (will post this as well) at first we sat and looked over my team and realized there was no door control. so we took out one of the assassin droids and put in three uggys and a r7. we played this match on jabbas palace. she stated on the side with less doors in hopes of jamming me up with having to work with the doors and the angles. she devided her team into three very strong grouping seperating her heavy hitters from each other making sure i could not get them all weakened with a good lancer run. hid bastilla back on the steps in the corner well out of reach. of course with me playing san hill and close to 18 activations i out activated her, she kept the grouping as far apart as could be however on the side of the map with all the doors there is one spot that if you are able to stand in you can reactivate the lancer in two seperate spot while not exposing palpy to any danger. So i ran lancer out to middle of map pawned him and force him into two mice and atton and the other shooter that is not mira.i critted on atton and did 60 damage on them turn one and killed off the mice along with the putting 40 damage on the other shooter and was able to hide in cover for a +25 def. i dont remember if it was turn one or turn two however i was able to jummy rig three doors open between my poggles and r7 opened up another goofy abngle shot and took out mira. lancer lived much longer then what it should have cause on turn two she won initiative and instead of taking the shot on lancer and having to have a stupid big number to hit it in cover she blew bastilla's abm. my first activation was lancer disturb bastilla i hit her for 20 followed around killing off an uggy and a mouse droid then having my commander effects back then plucked off an uggy that was over by mira with another stupid shot with the angles. needless to say the match came down to bastilla and other shooter i cant remember with one OR diplomat and a caasami versus poggle the lesser, san hill, r7, sidious, ig-86, and some bombs, in the last few moments of the game sidious killed other shooter the diplomats were gone and it was bastilla with 20 damage on her v.s. r7 and ig-86 (yes we were keeping track of gambit however none of us had anything over 5 points there at all) so ig popped a shot off on her and did another 20 putting her to 40 damage and ran back, next i won initiative told her to go she moved as close as she could i shot again critted doing 50 jumping it to 90 and ran back placing my r7 in her way, she moved past giving and AOE to r7 for a wopping no damage lol, and moved base to base with ig but was unable to attack, she won initiative and was unable to kill in one shot however with only a plus 9 base with no bouses she gave me the go ahead to go first and roled a stupid high number hitting with base 20 killing bastilla. the game was a very good game and was high tensions all the way to the end

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:47 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Yeah overall I'm really liking how the squad has played out. I figure on Friday to give it a strong playtest in a event. I also think that game with Sven would have went different on a different map or even if I picked a different side of Jabba's Palace. It was my first time playing on the map and I had no idea of some of the crazy lines of sight that can be drawn on that map LOL.

[===0=]=============>

Sentinel for Life!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:23 am 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

I would drop a senator and try and work in Lobot since he can give you a shot vs that vong ss squad since you can bring in its a trap or a rak, more override,Bg, since you have three glass cannons for other match ups.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:39 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

That would be a lot to take out for a Lobot, when I was crunching the numbers I was left with 27pts after the two Senators, and the Cannons. Taking out a Senator would only give me one Diplomat and maybe two uggies and two mouse droids. That would really help me against our Vong SS issue but I would think that could really bite me in the butt in a more diverse enviroment.

However you just took a huge load off my shoulders! I had never thought of a Rakghoul as a way to deal with Vong SS. The idea of over running Vong with Rakghoul is hilarious!!!

[===0=]=============>

Sentinel for Life!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:44 am 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

?
you take out a senator and all but two uggie/mice add in lobot.
thats 200 on the dote. Then bring in your uggie mice back in with lobot.

you can still do the three noble wall just with 13 vs 14 but now you have double override

You lose one act. Your main power is in the three glass cannons so I really think a bg for a senator is well worth it if your not willing to add lobot.

some silly person playing sly/kun with atton over aurra now can take out your main shooters one by one. A bg or two would stop this to a point.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:04 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

I'm sorry I miss followed you, probably shouldn't of stayed up all night watching Bracket coverage LOL.

Yeah that really isn't that bad, ten activations still with whatever Lobot brings in. Most of my needs would be pretty small so I could easily go with Human BG, Camasi noble x2 as a good basic package. Give me a chance to survive a Windu beatdown for a turn, which should be time to drop him. That is a really interesting trade for that second re-activate.

[===0=]=============>

Sentinel for Life!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:27 am 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

well its 8 base (rein+6)= Max 14

But yeah it does pretty much the same thing just with less power,one less act but staying around a lot longer is more in your favor with lobot.

Overridex2 then all the tricks lobot can do. Yes Tyber hurts lobot but the odds of seeing him are not that often.

Can do noble wall,Rak,triple override,Hum bg/uggie,Its a trap, Figrin D'dan, TBSV for more power, Czerka to give Mira Jolt, Greedo + one uggie/mouse, Kel dor or Defelx2 vs lancer,
Garindan, Lando, Jawa sav vs droids, R4/Wicket/tredwell vs high acts, Aqua tech if you need its a trap or can shoot staying in one place might be nice with carth since he has suprise move, Dr Evazan is great vs the GOWK squads if you can win init and out act them giving you 60 auto damage on Gowk for 16 free pts. Gonk Droid if you really think it can stay live and you need the damage.

Sal-solo in a imp squad with extra attack can take out han GH if he falls all three saves and SS has opp and triple. I know the odds are not good but for a 14 pt piece that the Imp can use to take out Han GH its great Value. the Vong hunter droid vs Vong since it can do 60 damage on vong with BSJM. Ponda +noble for noble wall and BG.

I know there is other stuff in my box too.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:33 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Lobot is something I admittantly really need to play more often to get more comfortable on what hosers to use in a given situation. Thankfully I have most of that stuff you mentioned in your box :)

[===0=]=============>

Sentinel for Life!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:40 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Played a couple games last night and I'm thinking I might need to change my map choice. Having to work my way to the center box-in area on Theed Palace really seemed to put the shooters on a leash. I probably need to rethink my map choice for something that will "unleash" the squad a little.

[===0=]=============>

Sentinel for Life!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:52 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

audrisampson wrote:
Played a couple games last night and I'm thinking I might need to change my map choice. Having to work my way to the center box-in area on Theed Palace really seemed to put the shooters on a leash. I probably need to rethink my map choice for something that will "unleash" the squad a little.

*Cough* Chancellor'sStarship *Cough*

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:49 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I played against this the other night. Trevor ran it on throne room (chancellors starship). It was tough. I had an imperial swap squad and trying to get past his noble wall with a swapper was difficult at best. Having to account for Mira moving 12 and getting a senator shot is rather difficult. Having double override in the base squad is pretty big.

Trevor ran it interestingly by using carth as a sac piece. Your able to trade carth for a 70 hp character (Rex, Arica, dash) by the second round in a lot of games. Suprise move to move 6 then run 12 then use the senetor ce and something dies. At that point jaq and mira's power is devestating for Melee to try and run into.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:55 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Thanks for trying a game out for me. Today I'm going to be running this squad in some playtest with TimmerB and Sthlrd so we will see how it goes. My other map idea was rocking Jabba's palace but that might be a bit too good on the shooting lanes for such a low HP squad as well as players being able to get some crazy shooting lanes for picking off diplomats.

[===0=]=============>

Sentinel for Life!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:24 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

You do mean Cerberus right? As in the 3 headed dog that guards hell?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:33 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Weeks wrote:
You do mean Cerberus right? As in the 3 headed dog that guards hell?

Yes I do, that was the intended title but I should have checked spell check before I created the thread LOL :)

On another note I played against Sven's Lancer Squad. Won the map and got to try a game on Throne room. It was a really strong showing for the squad. Even after I screwed up on my Diplomat wall and left Atton to die on turn 2. Oops...

[===0=]=============>

Sentinel for Life!