logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Re: A&E fixes?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:06 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Location: Yes, I am yet another Canadian. Keeping the game alive on life support in the GTA.
I would doubt that boiling minis will help finish curing the plastic. If you are worried about your plastic items breaking down you should keep them sealed in a glass box filled with inert gas; that ought to lengthen their time in the solid state.

On the plus side these smilies are very cool and don't ever get used: :ATAT: :ATST: :tiefighter: :tieinterceptor: :tiebomber: :DS2:

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 7:50 pm 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

R5Don4 wrote:
If you are worried about your plastic items breaking down you should keep them sealed in a glass box filled with inert gas; that ought to lengthen their time in the solid state.

Actually, no. The plastic isn't breaking down because of a reaction with the air; it's breaking down because of reactions inside the polymer matrix. I agree with you on boiling, though - not really seeing how that would help. If anything it could hurt by speeding the degradation reactions up. Unfortunately the flip side of cheap plastic is that it does not keep all that long.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:07 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Sorry to drudge up a really old topic, but i'm trying to save some of my minis from the abyss, lol.

Anyone have any idea what I could do to at least stabilize them? Luke Jedi Master and my X-1 Viper Droid look really dusty, and I don't want to lose them!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:59 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Location: Yes, I am yet another Canadian. Keeping the game alive on life support in the GTA.
Just dust them for now. They will still be around for a while at least.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:17 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I have a lot of DDM figures made around the same time as the A&E sets that are "dissolving" as well. Probably when WotC was trying out cheaper methods to save their miniatures lines (an all but futile effort, as we know now).

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:31 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

If I remember correctly, shortly before the production of A&E was when the EU changed some regulations concerning plastics, forcing a change in materials.

I've only had the one period of "dusting" on my A&E figs, and have never had a repeat on any of the sets, so I also chalked it up to a release agent. I'm in my 40s anyway, so I'm not particularly worried about them degrading before I'm done with 'em :)