logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Re: Hall of Fame class of 2012 Nominations!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:43 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

picking 5 sucks

Ruhk - does lots of stuff for the game, good player, sound geezer.
TINT - perrenial competitor
Celestial Warrior - does massive amounts for the game with judging and $h!t jobs that no-one wants to do.
UrbanJedi - Competitor, prize support contributor, designer, organizer.
Timmerb123 - the only 5 time regional champ. Creator of Tile Wars. Playtester. Attends events far and wide.

I figure Weeks will probably win it this year so i don't feel bad leaving him off ;)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:02 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Weeks
Darth Jim
greentime
TimmerB123
TINT

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:37 am 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

Weeks
thereisnotry
timmerb
Darth Jim
and for my last one...yeesh...a lot of choices. But I'll go urbanschmi, who has certainly been one of the most influential squad builders out there.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:40 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

TimmerB

Urbanjedi

The_Celestial_Warrior

Darth Jim

Ruhk

I don’t say much, or post often, so listen up… All of my nominations are for quality people. They have GREAT attitudes, are fair, honest, helpful, kind, and would do anything for the game or the SWM community. These are all true ambassadors of the game! These people would be honored if they got in, but if they don’t they will continue to support the game!!! If you dont know these people you should, just so you can know that what I type is the truth!!!
-skull79

Twice the pride, double the fall - Count Dooku

Execute Order 66 - Darth Sidious

If you're not with me, then you're my enemy - Darth Vader

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:28 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Hmm now to determine who I want to give the nod to for this year.

1. David Weeks- What can I say, class act, tireless effort at playtesting, king of vassal, 6-0 Swiss, top 4 GenCon, multiple top 4 regionals, regional champ.

2. Trevor Peyton - So in all honesty maybe I am biased here, but I would not have made the championship at GenCon without Trevor, he taught me several tricks, and how to use my squad confidently (and I know he has helped others), great playtester, great ambassador for the game, 3 top 8's, and several other accomplishments.

3. Jim McNaney - So yeah I love this guy lol, great ambassador, great person, giving, strong player, keeps the PA group going.

4. Tim Ballard - Another Class act, great guy, strong showing in regionals this year with 3 wins, Jedi Challenge winner, creator of Tile Wars, and still the best hair in SWM haha.

5. This last spot is a tough one because I have 4 people I see deserving of it, but my nod goes to Brad Phillips. He's a great guy and has to put up with a lot of crap, his tireless work behind the scenes has helped improve the game.

Honorable Mentions: Jason Keirnan, Graham Bingham, Chris Neal.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:50 am 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I don't really know why I havnt voted before now but here is my list.

TimmerB - with multiple car rides to multiple events with this guy. (not just for minis). And to quote my wife he is a very easy person to get along with. Has helped me with the royal rumble format. He beat me in the finals of 2 regionals this year and beat me for 3rd in a regional last year. All of which were close games that I think could have gone either way. Tim is my number 1 vote.

The rest is in no particular order.

Thereisnotry- shouldn't really have to vote for him. IMO, he should already be in.

The celestial warrior- The real man behind the curtains.

UrbanJedi- great competitor and always giving customs for prize support takes a lot of time. I shouldn't have to say more.

One more spot- I had 3 names put into a hat and pulled one out randomly. My final vote goes to...
Weeks- great player and competitor (although I don't share deri's prediction of him winning it next year I still put him in the top 8)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:55 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Like Deri says, it sucks to only be able to vote for 5. I decided this year I'd try and narrow it down by nominating people I thought were overdue to get in, since there are so many people I think deserve to be there. So... here goes...

Trevor Peyton: Trevor is the one member of our community I think deserves to be in the HoF based on the strength of his play alone. That's not to say that he doesn't do a lot for the community, which he does. (His work on Vassal modules is the first thing that comes to mind.) He is a great player of strong moral fiber and would make a great representative of our community.

David Weeks: David has not been at the forefront of our game as long as Trevor, but ever since we started talking about Vsets, he has been involved in just about every aspect of our game. He is a great player who gives advice and assistance whenever asked; his volunteer work in our community is unparalleled. Wherever you look in our game today, David has a presence there. He is one of our indispensible individuals.

Eric Frost: I said last year that he has a maturity beyond his years. So much has happened in a year's time that has proven that to an accurate assessment of Eric. He is a great player and a great person and he will be on my ballot every year until he gets in.

Brad Phillips: With apologies to all of our fine judges, Brad is perfect in that role. He has a unique ability to seperate friendship from whatever our community asks him to do. That sometimes gives people an impression that his hard exterior runs all the way through. I will tell you that is entirely untrue. Brad is, at the core, a caring and goodhearted person. Coupled with the quality work and tireless efforts he puts forth on behalf of our game, he is the perfect HoF candidate.

Jake Schuler: When I looked to expand my own group here in Pa, I patterned my efforts after what I'd heard about Jake's work at Olivet College. (He had an interview on SHNN early on and is due for another in my opinion.) I met Jake at GenCon and enjoyed every game I played against him. (That's hard to say about someone you've never beaten.) Jake is a good player, values sportsmanship and fair play, is extremely generous, and works hard behind the scenes for our community without expecting fanfare or thanks. What other qualities should a HoF member have?

There are a host of others that I wish I could list, but for fear of forgetting someone I won't try.

Being organized is for people who are too lazy to look for their stuff.

Lasers make everything better... except Alderaan.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:50 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Bump! This will only be open for another week or so, so get those nominations in!

"You can't per aspera ad astra unless there's some aspera in front of your astra. And that means sometimes the aspera gets you." - Donald X. Vaccarino

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:19 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

Being new to the SWM scene in 2011, I have had the fortune to meet my first three nominations in person. Each of whom in their own way, are true Ambassadors of the game.

Ruhk
thereisnotry
Darth_Jim

My last two must goto guys, who IMHO help foster and keep the machinery running....

The_Celestial_Warrior
Swinefeld

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:39 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Alright, nominations are now closed! Thanks everyone for getting those in. Nominees will be contacted soon for more information.

"You can't per aspera ad astra unless there's some aspera in front of your astra. And that means sometimes the aspera gets you." - Donald X. Vaccarino

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:34 pm 
General
General

Echo wrote:
Alright, nominations are now closed! Thanks everyone for getting those in. Nominees will be contacted soon for more information.

Have nominees been contacted yet?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:56 am 
Major Tierce
Major Tierce

Chargers wrote:
Echo wrote:

Have nominees been contacted yet?

I second this question. I hope not because I was looking forward to filling out the questionaire again this year.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:53 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Not yet, there was some discussion about how exactly we're going to do it this year. Due to having much fewer nominees this year, we're going to be a little more strict as to who goes to the next stage of voting; instead of the top 15 nominees, we're going with just the top 8.

I'll be sending questionnaires out to the nominees today. :) Sorry for the wait!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:38 pm 
General
General

I understand the reasoning, but am also disturbed by it.
* Changing the rules after the fact isn't right.
* On SHNN, it was mentioned about a year ago that a prior year nominee who barely made the cut so wowed the judges with his response that he was voted in. That's a cool story.

And, no, I don't know who received how many nominations -- so I'm not advocating something for my benefit. In fact, I could be asking for more competition. 8-) (yes, I do hope I was part of the top 8)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:49 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Chargers wrote:
I understand the reasoning, but am also disturbed by it.
* Changing the rules after the fact isn't right.

Actually we knew that there would be less nominations this year (what with there being a smaller community) and were planning on doing SOMETHING about that, just hadn't decided what until recently. Every year we wait until after the nominations are all in to decide certain things, like the number of votes needed to actually be inducted. Note that in my original post in this thread there is no mention about the number of nominations required to go to the next stage; that was very much intentional. We have traditionally allowed the top 15 to go forward, but by no means are bound by that.

Due to there being less nominees this year, that would have A) cut some people out of the top 15 unfairly, because there would be people not in the top 15 who tied in number of nominations with people who did make the cut and B) made it so some people with very few nominations moved forward, which is something we specifically don't want (getting into the Hall of Fame should be inherently difficult). The fact is, there was absolutely no way to fairly do a 15 person cut, as #16 was tied with #15, so which of those two gets in? We could have allowed more than 15 in, but that goes directly against the idea of the Hall of Fame being difficult to be inducted into. So we decided to go less than 15, and 8 was a good number based on how the nominations fell.

So we had very good reason to reduce the number from 15 to 8, and since there weren't any rules set beforehand about how many nominations it would take to get in we aren't changing the rules after the fact. We're making a decision after getting all the facts.

Quote:
* On SHNN, it was mentioned about a year ago that a prior year nominee who barely made the cut so wowed the judges with his response that he was voted in. That's a cool story.

I agree that's a cool story, but as I wasn't in the HoF for voting last year I can't really speak on it. That could still happen, though, it's just that "barely made the cut" changed from having the 15th most nominations to having the 8th most.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:17 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I don't recall such a promise about an exact number of HoF nominees ever being made. In fact, the system is set up in such a way that it was possible in the past for no one to be inducted. It all came down to how people voted.

If someone in the HoF assured you or anyone that X number of nominees would be inducted, well they did not speak with the authority of the entire group. I have a hard time believing anyone who understood how the system works actually said that.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:19 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Echo wrote:
Every year we wait until after the nominations are all in to decide certain things, like the number of votes needed to actually be inducted.

Gotta put my jerk hat on for a minute, this line actually made me bust out laughing. You are a good guy but cmon man, you have only been in about a year and you got in because you won the Champs. "Every year we wait?"

I mean, wtf? How would you know what the HoF committee does "every year?" LOL

Okay, jerk hat back on the hanger. We can all be friends again. :P

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:33 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

Chargers wrote:

??? Who was this? I missed out on that.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:44 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Grand Moff Boris wrote:
Echo wrote:
Every year we wait until after the nominations are all in to decide certain things, like the number of votes needed to actually be inducted.

Gotta put my jerk hat on for a minute, this line actually made me bust out laughing. You are a good guy but cmon man, you have only been in about a year and you got in because you won the Champs. "Every year we wait?"

I mean, wtf? How would you know what the HoF committee does "every year?" LOL

Okay, jerk hat back on the hanger. We can all be friends again. :P

Because I now have access to Hall of Fame discussion forum, so I can read old threads. I guess instead of every year I could have said "since 2009", because I do, in fact, know what the HoF committee has done every year since 2009.

Jerk. :P

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:49 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Oh. Right. You can read the old stuff. Dammit. :P