logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Favorite SWM.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:04 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Silly question, what is your favorite Star Wars Miniature and why?

[===0=]=============>

Sentinel for Life!

Post subject: Re: Favorite SWM.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:31 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Location: Yes, I am yet another Canadian. Keeping the game alive on life support in the GTA.
So many to choose from. Why don't you go first?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:33 pm 
Jedi Battlemaster
Jedi Battlemaster

Vset or non-vset, or out of them all?

non-vset: Grand Admiral Thrawn - one of my favourite EU characters, boss of the imperial scene for a long time.

Vset: Nas Choka - kick butt vong beatstick commander, plus I designed him :D

Join the FOLLY! Online casual League, find out more here: FOLLY

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:34 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Epic Maul - Well the designer is just a hell of a guy :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:40 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

That's actually a tough question for me. I'll do a top 5 instead.

Obviously I have a very big soft spot for Kyle Katarn, Rebel Operative, since I got to design the piece as a prize for winning the National Championship at Gencon 2010. It's exactly the kind of piece I like to play (very tech-focused with a ton of potential if you know how to use it right), and is in one of the factions that I love to play. Plus it has my name on the card. :D

The first mini I fell in love with, though, was Kyle Katarn Jedi Battlemaster, and I'm still quite fond of him even though he doesn't see as much play now as he used to. If you haven't gathered it yet, I'm a huge fan of Kyle Katarn, and he's definitely my favorite character in the EU and only really competes with Han Solo as my favorite character in all of Star Wars. Add that to another tech-y piece who can also stand toe to toe against many others and he was one of the big reasons that NR became my overall favorite factions.

At the moment I really, really like Corran Horn from Vengeance (not released yet, but his stats have been spoiled). He's another EU character that I like a lot, and his presence will help the NR break away from the Solo Charge rut they've been in for a while. I'm seriously considering playing an NR squad at Regionals this year without Mara Jade, Jedi.

The new R2P0 in NR is another recent favorite. He doesn't seem to impressive at first, but when you start building synergy around him he becomes worth far more than what you pay for him. Disruptive, Bodyguard (with Regeneration!), and Blaster Upgrade (in a faction that can potentially get a lot of use out of it if you do it right) all in one neat little package with enough HP to stick around long enough to matter.

I'll go ahead and make this an even top 5 list and say that after them, I really like GOWK. I never really played him before the SSM change, but last year I took him out a few times. I like him because he's really contrary to my normal play style, in that I normally play very tech-focused squads as opposed to brute force. I'm the guy that plays no Ugnaughts but 3 base Override characters with easy access to 2 more. GOWK is just a beat though. He's a defensive powerhouse, and has an amazing CE that doesn't give an extra shot so I can set up weird full run then shoot turns or give tempo control or swap; it just gives stats! Raw, fun, stats! I like playing him with a couple JWMs and just running up the middle to beat stuff up with high Attack and Defense values and save 11 defensive mechanics. It's really nice to take a break sometimes from crazy overthinking squads that you can't make a mistake with because everyone has 70 HP or less and hardly any defense to play with beefy dudes that don't die. He's a very forgiving piece, which is why he's my go-to piece if I want to play a casual game where I don't have to stress out over every decision. If you ask me to come up with a squad completely on the fly, odds are it will be GOWK plus a pile of other good stuff as opposed to trying to craft something too intricate.

Obviously, these aren't necessarily what I'd consider the "best" minis (although they're all quite good), since I don't think a list of "Ugnaught Demolitionist, Mouse Droid, General Dodonna, Lobot, R2-D2 Astromech Droid" is that interesting. :)

"You can't per aspera ad astra unless there's some aspera in front of your astra. And that means sometimes the aspera gets you." - Donald X. Vaccarino

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:48 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

It is a ton to pick from, I guess from the WOTC sets I've got to go with GGDAC. He really opened up many other favorite figures for me like Huge Crab Droid and Destroyer Droids and made them pretty strong for local play and not something I could be laughed out of the room for playing. For my "bad" favorites from the WOTC sets I have to give props to Ahsoka Tano. For twenty points its amazing what you can get her to do with the other jedi's CEs. She is just a magnet of learning that can really get silly. It also doesn't hurt that in the CW toon she is pretty awsome. Now that we have the Vsets this decision gets really hard. Do I go with Bastilla who makes OR tier 1, or the OR Senator that lets me use Mira time and time again or Master Thon who does everything I want to see in a Jedi. Big numbers, lots of powers that say no, and tons of text on the card... Yeah got to give it to Thon.

Top ten "Fun" minis

1. Master Thon
2. Ahsoka Tano
3. Huge Crab Droid
4. Leviathan
5. Destroyer Droid
6. Master Lucien Draay
7. Mira
8. Celeste Morne
9. Darth Nihlus (We soooo need a remake on him)
10. Jedi Sentinal

Top ten "tourney" minis

1. Bastilla Shan (V-set)
2. GGDAC
3. Old Republic Senator
4. Han Solo Galatic Hero
5. General Wedge Antilles
6. Grand Admiral Thrawn
7. Mara Jade, Jedi
8. Commader Rex
9. GOWK
10. Jedi Battlemaster

@Echo, You must have done a great job designing Kyle. Right now the local fad is Rebel Canon and EVERYONE runs Kyle Katarn. I can play three rounds at the local shop and odds are I will face him in two this last month or so.

[===0=]=============>

Sentinel for Life!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:28 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

I actually think Master Thon might be a viable option for a serious tournament - I wouldn't relegate him just to the fun box.

Of the wotc minis, I like General Skywalker best, although I haven't played him for a while. I've always thought Ganner Rhysode (or Luke Rebel Commando) looked really fun too, and I just got him so I'm looking forward to trying him out. I like Arica a lot too, although I should maybe stop using her, as I'm not that good with her.

Of the v-sets, I think Destiny of the Force had a lot more important minis, like Bastila, Revan, Exar Kun DFS, and the Yammosk, but all the really fun stuff is in Renegades and Rogues. I won a 150 tournament with Mace (who is very strong at 150, I think), Celeste Morne is great, and makes Chazrachs into really strong 10 point scrubs, and I think I'll run New Republic quite a lot with the new Corran Horn as well as other cool stuff like Winter and R2-P0.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:51 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

TheHutts wrote:
I actually think Master Thon might be a viable option for a serious tournament - I wouldn't relegate him just to the fun box.

LOL, that sounded like a challenge. I rock him a lot in local events, almost to the point of my fellow players groaning when he comes out LOL.

As far as Ganner Rhysode goes he is a ton of fun. Have you tried Celeste Morne with Leviathan yet. Having a heal by eating Dinosaur hitting for 50 is just funny.

[===0=]=============>

Sentinel for Life!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:20 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

They only groan because they don't appreciate the amusement of having a MLP figure proxy for Master Thon.

As for me, I'm not familiar with much outside of the imperials I've started with, but I love Palpatine on his evading throne and imperial sentinels for some reason I don't even understand. Not because these figs are the best, I just enjoy them.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:33 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

My favorite piece ever is the new Mace Windu...GMA/Triple/Crit-machine...that's lots of fun. Even if he's only Tier 2, he's my fave. Before that my favorite was probably General Skywalker (GMA/Double/Momentum...see a trend here?) and his awesome CE.

I've also always enjoyed the Ithorian Commander, because I love building around him, even though he's pretty much useless in competitive play because of Yobuck/Lancer/Arica.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:36 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

audrisampson wrote:
As far as Ganner Rhysode goes he is a ton of fun. Have you tried Celeste Morne with Leviathan yet. Having a heal by eating Dinosaur hitting for 50 is just funny.

I see the Leviathan a lot in local games. A couple of our newer players love it, and I've started an education campaign trying to persuade people not to use it so much. It's slightly better with Celeste Morne, but I still think you're generally only going to get one attack with it per game (and only at +10 without Celeste Morne) before it gets shot to pieces; 200 hit points doesn't last long with only a 17 defence. I thought it was going to be amazing the first time I saw the stats, but now when I see my opponent bring one out, I'm thinking "Yay! Auto-win!" rather than "Oh no, this is going to be tough!"

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:41 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

TheHutts wrote:
audrisampson wrote:

I see the Leviathan a lot in local games. A couple of our newer players love it, and I've started an education campaign trying to persuade people not to use it so much. It's slightly better with Celeste Morne, but I still think you're generally only going to get one attack with it per game (and only at +10 without Celeste Morne) before it gets shot to pieces; 200 hit points doesn't last long with only a 17 defence. I thought it was going to be amazing the first time I saw the stats, but now when I see my opponent bring one out, I'm thinking "Yay! Auto-win!" rather than "Oh no, this is going to be tough!"

One attack per game, either the player is doing something wrong or your events are pretty vicious.

[===0=]=============>

Sentinel for Life!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:40 pm 
Intelligence Operative
Intelligence Operative

I also give the nod to Grievous Droid Army Commander, he's my favorite character and is a perfect piece to represent his character (Strategist, jedi hunter, blaster shots). He made the Seps competitive, almost too much (stupid lancer, we banned this piece after playing it twice, so broken it hurts).
Runner ups go to:
Wat Tambor TUF, this guy is exactly what I envisioned when picturing the Seps and it was nice to finally get him.
Kyle Katarn (yes the original) old Darth Katarn was a go to piece for me when he first came out. I love the character and due to not being so great he was often left alone as the rest of the team was targeted. Oh yes everybody forgot about Kyle, until they realized only too late that he still had full health left haha. Also stealth+accurate shooting medics, door control and others was plenty of fun.
X1 Viper droid (thanks for being the only huge to not suck! much love old friend)
Crab Droid (80 HP, momentum, and killer stats made these the staple of my armies until the IG86 took their spot)

VSET

There are so many good choices here as ALMOST no spot is wasted with the awful encarnations of what should have been good pieces or the many reprints. Though I will have to give a shout out to the best:

The Phantom Menace, pure awesome fun, lightning, suicide bomber geonosians, not being targeted outside of his 6 square lightning range, as well as a decent melee piece. The epics were a great idea and hoping for more (Grievous!!!)

Destroyer Droid Series 2, this was the one from the movies that jedi actually ran from. Such a beast and nice to play something competitive other then stupid lancer once in awhile.

Celeste Morne, Rakghouls!!!! They are no useful... that is all.

Czulakah Lah/Chazrach/Yammosk, helped to finally make the Vong a faction

Probably going to be some new favourites with:

Old Republic Trooper with Repeating Blaster - my character from ToR, nice
Savage Opress - hoping for massive hit point beatstick to mix up the faction
Pre Vizsla - Exactly what I envisioned for the character
Prefect Da'Gara - This is the second last piece of the Vong puzzle to finish fleshing them out, now where is Onimi?

Keep up the great work VSet team

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:45 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

My favorite figure from the WotC line is Yoda on Kybuck. It's not always a game winner but it is fun to play for sure. I've lost with it as often as I've won. A close second for me is Grand Admiral Thrawn. He is exactly the way I imagined he would be, from a conceptual standpoint. Ranged Force Immunity, beefs up the troops, and swaps figures around.

As far as V-sets go, I'm obviously a little biased. I think my favorite design is Darth Vader, Agent of Evil and I love that the new Windu is the figure people love to hate. Finally, a scary jedi. That's how it should be! I'm also a fan of Darth Zannah. I had a chance to play her in a tournament at DragonCon this past summer, and she lived up to all my expectations. Of stuff I didn't directly have a hand in designing, I'd have to give the nod to some of the stuff in Vengeance. There are about 4 or 5 cards in there that will be going right into the hard sleeve for immediate play, and tons more that are going to be tried out at least 3 or 4 times.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:10 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

WOTC:Arica. My favorite EU character and imperials best shooter.

V-Sets: Admiral Pelleaon. Another good imperial piece. Ysalamiri, the ability to ditch Ozzel when you need to, and a decent shooter. All for 16 points.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:31 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

WOTC: Hard to decide between Lord Vader or Thrawn (IE).... Damn, let's go with Vader, cause it was daaamn diffcult for me to get him.
He's a monster! An offensive beast. And for some reason I always forget that he's got CE... Tough mini, u gotta know how to play him, because he is very fragile.

V-set: General Weir!
What can I say? Finnaly, Storm Commandos are fun again and I could loose Czerka. Giving them those Shields is nasty, but makes them competetive again! The only downsize is that they still have low attack, but their survivor ability makes up for it.

Go V-sets !!
Now I'm waiting for Carnor Jax and proper Kir Kanos (without force, lots of SA's)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:35 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

San Hill.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:47 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

WOTC: Twilek Black Sun Vigo

V-Set: Bastila Shan, Jedi Master

WWJD

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:40 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Like many on here have said, its hard to pick a favorite. I could give a list of my top 10, but one of the mini's from WOTC I hold dear to me and I have a lot of fun playing is Qui-Gon Jinn,JM. He was one of the first mini's I ever owned and I just love Force Spirit 6, Anticipation, and Master Speed. Gets you into the action quick, helps win inits and makes your force users better when he dies. Awesome! :obi:

As far as a favorite for the V-sets its hands down the Yammosk War Coordinator. I have never had so much fun playing a piece such as this. You just never know what CE your opponent will give you!

Aliit ori'shya tal'din ("Family is more than Blood")
To learn Mandalorian, go to http://www.karentraviss.com/html/mando.htm.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:46 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

I came across this thread and just couldnt help myself. i have always been a big fan of the obscure loved the most of all of the crime sindacates. So here is my list:

rancor-i have always found a massive love for this large beast, just the how fearsome they are. the only thing that would make this fig any better is if they had maliki (spelling)
jabba the hutt- of course why would he not be on my list this is one of my favorite of all of the movies and books and mins. how his presents just demands attention.
twi lek black sun vigo- this figure was one of the first that i picked up when i first started and thought wow this character is crazy i just love him and plus he has a cloak cloaks just make him even more awesome
natulan black sun vigo- makes the black sun so much more playable, since i have started i had vowed to make black sun playable in tournaments to all of the people at my local store.
price xizor- Do i need to say more
lobot- the other love of my life is cybernetics, yes you may ask why is greivous not on my list, the answer is sometimes less is more. he is just awesome
kel dor bounty hunter-BOOOOOM that is all
bith black sun vigo-NEO from the Matrix, really who can say i hate the bith black sun vigo really
jaster- this fig is not only great because it has the reserves and i love just dropping in the tactician, or whatever i need with this guy and then to top it off you can play jengo fett
seppy jengo fett- 47 points of awesome-ness- really when he is in mando getting the bonuses awesome really all i can say