logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Malachor Temple Map
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:57 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Hello all. So I have been out of the game for a long while.

Yet, I recently picked up with a Saga RPG group and have enjoyed it tremendously (for the years that I've played, I've always played skirmish). Anyways, it inspired me to get back into map-making, so here is a map based off of the Malachor V Temple from KoToRII.

As of right now, it is based mostly off of 'looks' and for the RPG, as I know when I played the skirmish game the balance of ranged vs melee changed a lot, and I couldn't presume how to build a balanced map due to me not playing the game for a while. Though, I am open to some changes if you enjoy the map, and find some ways to make the map more playable in a skirmish sense.

It was a lot of fun. Hope you enjoy.

Post subject: Re: Malachor Temple Map
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:57 am 
Intelligence Operative
Intelligence Operative

Sweet map! Very well done

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:58 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

I really like it. There is good protection for commanders against lancers (the non-lancer player will take the left every time), and there are plenty of safe places for set-up. However, as the map is currently, gameplay will be limited by a very tight chokepoint (the single door in the middle), which means that most games on the map will tend to flow the same way.

In order to both create more advancement options, and also to prevent it from being a very defensive, come-and-get-me map, I would suggest creating some extra doors (possibly as shown) to provide some other methods of advancement and attack. I recognize that symmetry is one of the design features of the map, but it could be good to make a couple of minor adjustments to the symmetry, for the sake of gameplay. My suggestions for additional door placement are in blue, and my suggestions for additional walls are in red. At the top, the purpose of the additional wall on the right is to maintain a good commander-protection spot for the player on that side. The wall-and-door to the left of that prevents a long LOS through that room, and it also works well with the artwork on the floor. At the bottom, the additional wall/pillar is to prevent a long LOS through that room from the safety of the room on the right.

The art on this map is simply beautiful. I love the setting, and I think the layout is good too (with some very minor adjustments). If it were readily available I'd want to see it considered for the Restricted Maplist (I think it's certainly good enough for at least the Standard list with the suggestions I made). Good job!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:47 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

Unfortunately I can't make the same suggestion. It's either too small to see on thumbnail or too large to see all at once on the page it sends me to. I know, I'm picky!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:05 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

The_Celestial_Warrior wrote:
Unfortunately I can't make the same suggestion. It's either too small to see on thumbnail or too large to see all at once on the page it sends me to. I know, I'm picky!

I had the same problem, but then I waited for the image to finish loading, and I could see it no problem.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:15 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

thereisnotry wrote:
The_Celestial_Warrior wrote:

I had the same problem, but then I waited for the image to finish loading, and I could see it no problem.

That worked. Really pretty map, but it's a death trap for the right side in competitive play.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:48 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Hey all, thanks very much for the comments.

thereisnotry, thank you especially for the suggestions. I am very open to having a 'skirmish version' of the map, as my initial idea was to make it 'look cool' for RPG, with skirmish being an after thought. If you think those changes would make it better for competitive balance, I am very open to it. I guess I should wait a bit longer to see if we can get anymore constructive criticisms or agreements to make it better for tournament style play.

Also, my apologies on the viewing experience. If there is another host you/forum prefers, I can upload it there as well.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:20 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Well with some free time now on my hands, due to being in the lovely field of graphic design in this market, but I digress.... lol

Anyways, I went ahead and made some tweaks to the map as thereisnotry suggested for tournament style play. I don't think the art suffered much at all and I hope this allows for better play. Enjoy :)

Now back to the thumb twiddling...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:28 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Wow, the art is really amazing on this map. I also really like the layout. Very good job!

Regarding it being used for skirmish play, I agree that the right side is way too open. If you bring this map to a tournament and have to play against a Lancer squad then if you win map choice you basically HAVE to pick their map, since if you let them set up first on this one they will take the left side from you to prevent you from having it, and there isn't any safety on the right side.

As an RPG map, it's really awesome. As a skirmish map it's not bad (I think it's got a great balance between shooters and melee), the Lancer just kind of ruins it. Non-Lancer matches seem like they would be quite fair and fun, though, especially with the latest changes.

"You can't per aspera ad astra unless there's some aspera in front of your astra. And that means sometimes the aspera gets you." - Donald X. Vaccarino

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:35 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Good comments, Echo.

I wonder what can be done to make the map more lancer-friendly on the right side, then. Maybe insert some 2x1 alcoves (or even 2x2, though the symmetry would be lost) into the 4 pillars (3x3) on that side? That would make it pretty much entirely lancer-friendly, right?

I've linked to another picture (can't get the IMG function to work right now), with a suggestion of how this might look. [Again, red = walls.] The alcoves could open in any number of directions, really, but the suggestions I offer here could work, because it has 4 safe spots at the very back for the squishies, and then 4 safe spots closer to the front in attacking (or attack-launching) position. Another option could be to have some of the alcoves face North and South, rather than East and West.

http://img191.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=124503917_MalachorTemple2tintsuggestion_122_370lo.jpg