logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Hall of Fame class of 2012 Nominations!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:06 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Alright, so it's time to do the nominations for this year's Hall of Fame class! This will be open for about a month (ending in early January).

The way it works is you can nominate exactly 5 people for induction into the Hall of Fame. The current members of the HoF will then vote on the nominees. Post all nominations in this thread.

The top 3 nominees (people who got the most nominations) will get 1 free "community vote" during the voting process.

Threads are up at both Gamers and Bloomilk; please only post your nomination in one of the two places, not both. Remember that you should nominate exactly 5 people, no more, no less.

As a reminder, here is the list of people who are currently in the Hall of Fame. Don't nominate these guys!

Class of 2008:
Dennis Beard aka Boris the Dwarf
Matt Francella aka Jedicartographer
Jim Fraser aka Moses2813
Eric Larson aka Engineer
Steve Leskow aka Fool
Bill Russell aka Billiv15
Shawn Sparks aka StSparks72
Jason Tanner aka Nickname
Chuck monarch aka ChuckM
Rob Watkins
Kelly Krieble aka Dr Divot
Dean Miller aka Dnemiller

Class of 2009:
Aaron Brueckman aka Lobostele
Jack Irons aka Ironlightsaber
Deri Morgan aka Fingersandteeth
Sarah Richey
Lou Vasilion aka Lou
Prien Xavier

Class of 2010:
Jason Alvey aka Darkjedi21
Mike Fryda aka Kcelser
Matt Peterson aka Mt Magus
Aaron Shockley aka Shinja
Chris West aka Mapmaker
Padraig Neuendorf aka I Kill Gungans

Class of 2011:
Ray Becker aka dvader831
Josh Derksen aka armoredgear7
Les Eller aka LESHIPPY
Daniel Stephens aka Echo
Scott Sykes aka Sithborg

Ian aka Jester007 will be automatically inducted into the class of 2012 for winning GenCon this year, so don't nominate him, either. :)

"You can't per aspera ad astra unless there's some aspera in front of your astra. And that means sometimes the aspera gets you." - Donald X. Vaccarino

Post subject: Re: Hall of Fame class of 2012 Nominations!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:19 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Dont know everyones name, but i would like to nominate (Most of these are bloomilk names)...

weeks

TimmerB

Urbanjedi

Kezzamachine

Swinefield

Last edited by DeathsBaine on Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:31 pm 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

DeathsBaine wrote:
Dont know everyones name, but i would like to nominate

weeks

TimmerB

I would like to second these nominations. I also nominate Brad (The_Celestial_Warrior), Darth Jim and Ruhk as well.

Sincerely,
Jester007

Punting jawas may be bad, but its just so FUN!!

Last edited by Jester007 on Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:41 pm 
One of the Sith on Malgus' Shuttle
One of the Sith on Malgus' Shuttle

Remember, if you are going to vote it HAS to be 5 entries. Anything less or more will not be counted.

Weeks
thereisnotry
Swinefeld
Ruhk
Darth_Jim

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:41 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

I hereby nominate the following people:

Weeks (Mr. Playtesting, and he also came in 1st after the Swiss Rounds of the Championship, using a thrown-together squad at that! He also finally beat me in a game at Gencon this year, and that's worthy of mention. ;))
Celestial Warrior (involved in everything and also a judge at gencon)
Ruhk (the guy who handled all the prize support for Gencon this year and who does LOTS of stuff for the swmgamers site)
TimmerB123 (creator of Tile Wars, and he's been nominated so many times, can win lots of Regionals but not make Top 8)
Darth Jim (he ran the 500pt epic tourney in PA this year, and I had fun there; he's also a really cool guy)

Sorry if I forgot someone, but those are my votes.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:22 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Darth Jim
greentime
Thereisnotry
Timmerb123
Urbanjedi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:23 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

This is always tough for me because there are more than 5 people that deserve it, but here goes:

Weeks: If I'm playing a squad in a competitive tournament you can practically guarantee that I've run it past him. Why? Because he's one of the best. He was #1 after the Swiss rounds at Gencon this year. He's also helped me out with the SHNN a number of times, is an active member in the community, and as Trevor put it is "Mr. Playtesting". You want to play a world class player on Vassal? Talk to Weeks.

thereisnotry: I think I've nominated him every time I've made nominations for this, but somehow he still hasn't gotten in. A great player and a regular in the top 8 at Gencon this year. He was the reason Team Atlanta lost a bet to Team Chicago this year, snagging 8th place after Swiss with Atlanta players lining up in 9th, 10th, and 11th behind him (and he beat me to get there!). An all-around great guy, great player, and great asset to the community.

Darth_Jim: Great guy. One of the big reasons some of us Atlanta guys drove the 14 hour one-way trip to Maryland and back for their regional was to hang out with Jim. A great member of the community, who always has something good to add to any discussion (even if it's just a stupid pun :lol: ). He was also a long time host of the SHNN. He's been a leader in his playgroup, something that is absolutely vital to the game at this point.

The_Celestial_Warrior: Sometimes it seems like this guy does everything. Helps out a ton with playtesting, does the floor rules, actively helps with the V-sets, judged at Gencon. Probably my favorite person to judge an event, because he knows the rules, is clear about how he will enforce them, and enforces them stringently. If something needs to get done, he'll get it done.

greentime: I've driven 4000+ miles in the car with this guy in the past year. He's one of the strongest players in the community, tying TimmerB for the most regional wins this year and getting 9th place at Gencon (I think he was half a percentage point of strength of schedule behind TINT). A great member of the Atlanta playgroup, a large portion of the prize support for our regional was donate by him. He was always one of the first people I talk to when I was thinking about pieces that I was designing for v-set 3. He loves this game and knows it as well as anybody around.

There are always more people that I want to nominate and who deserve it, but there it is.

"You can't per aspera ad astra unless there's some aspera in front of your astra. And that means sometimes the aspera gets you." - Donald X. Vaccarino

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:46 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

I will start thinking about this.

My top nomination however is Chris Neal AKA Jedispyder. He does so much in the quality control area for the v-sets that it amazes me what his eyes catch as far as graphics as well as helping with the rules and definitions. If you all enjoy the V-sets and apperciate that they have less errors than the WOTC cards. Please realize how many hours this takes and give him a nod for the Hall of Fame.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:42 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

There are a few people who I am still shocked are not in the hall of fame. Glaring omissions in my opinion!

Our friends from Canada (or formerly from Canada in Trevor's case)

Thereisnotry
Ruhk

and Mr. "Do everything in the community, especially the tough jobs"

The_Celestial_Warrior

These three have done so much for the community that it's downright silly that they're not already in.

Beyond that there are so many deserving recipients, I really don't know how to choose. But since I have to I guess I will go with:

Urbanjedi
Weeks

Both very deserving, hard working and contributing, and awesome players.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:11 am 
Name Calling Internet Bully

TimmerB
Urbanjedi
Weeks
Thereisnotry
The_Celestial_Warrior

I always hate being limited to 5, but that's the point right? :)
Right there with these guys would be Ruhk, Darth Jim, Swinefeld and Greentime for me. I went with the 5 I listed for a couple of reasons that I will give you in case it helps others decide.

Tim - Long time great player, multiple event winner over the years, always a bridesmade at Gencon, but he's proven it. Also a great local organizer for years, and has created/help create at least two alternative formats for play, always a great source of PT for V-sets, etc.

Jason - two straight top 8s, local organizer, top player, great contributor to V-sets, etc, and finally, has donated multiple custom sets for prizes and numerous other aspects. To quote Lou - "Best player in Michigan for a while".

David - Top 8 this year, great player, huge contributor to V-sets, etc. I struggled between him and Greentime, but he gets my nomination because of the community work.

Trevor - 2nd top 8. Everyone with multiple top 8s other than Jason and Trevor are in the HoF. Seems obvious. He gets my nod over Ruhk this year, even though both are deserving on community merits alone. And now that he lives in the USA instead of Canada, I'm willing to vote for him :) j/k.

Brad - Mr. Do everything and anything. The ATL crew might get the award for most miles driven to play, but Brad beats the crap out of anyone in most miles driven to judge. Huge V-set contributions, in charge of floor rules/maps, and on and on. And he's not really a bad player :)

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:38 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

billiv15 wrote:
Trevor - 2nd top 8. Everyone with multiple top 8s other than Jason and Trevor are in the HoF. Seems obvious. He gets my nod over Ruhk this year, even though both are deserving on community merits alone. And now that he lives in the USA instead of Canada, I'm willing to vote for him :) j/k.

Thanks for the nomination, Bill, but it's 3 Top 8s for me (2008, 2010, 2011), not 2. :)

I didn't make the Top 8 in 2009, in the Snowspeeder-on-Teth madness...that's when Ruhk made it instead of me. We Canadians...we always represent! :D

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:31 pm 

thereisnotry wrote:
billiv15 wrote:

Thanks for the nomination, Bill, but it's 3 Top 8s for me (2008, 2010, 2011), not 2. :)

I didn't make the Top 8 in 2009, in the Snowspeeder-on-Teth madness...that's when Ruhk made it instead of me. We Canadians...we always represent! :D

Ah yes, 3 lol. ok, then that further supports my vote for you over Eric, sorry Eric :)

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:19 pm 
Jedi Battlemaster
Jedi Battlemaster

thereisnotry
Weeks
jedispyder
The_Celestial_Warrior
Darth_Jim

Join the FOLLY! Online casual League, find out more here: FOLLY

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:14 am 
Hand of the Sith
Hand of the Sith

1.Urbanjedi Jason is the best player in Michigan and with 3 HOF's from Michigan it seems like the best player should be in.

2.The Celesial Warrior Brad does everything for our game.

3.TimmerB123 Tim is a great player also he came up with tile wars.

4.Skull79 Jake helps keep students @ Olivet College into the game.

5.Thereisnotry Trevor 3 top 8's thats enough for me.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:37 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Bastila, JM
Revan, SL
Yammosk
...oops, wrong thread. :P

My noms:

The_Celestial_Warrior
urbanjedi
Weeks
thereisnotry
jedispyder

And right up there with them if not limited to 5:

TimmerB123, Ruhk, Darth_Jim, Greentime, and Kezzamachine. :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:50 pm 
Major Tierce
Major Tierce

skull79 -- still the best custom guy I know.
urbanshmi -- best squadbuilder around designing multiple regional t4 and winning squads. Also did a lot of custom work for GenCon, and judged the JC 200 with Bill.
thecelestialwarrior -- the floor rules guy, the do everything guy and "the JUDGE"
ruhk -- done alot for the community behind the scenes specifically helping a ton with gencon and with the v-sets
timmerb123 -- I always said the hall should be for the players. has the resume to be argued one of the best not in with what seems like 1000 regional titles

Last edited by urbanjedi on Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:09 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Brandon Pyle - finished second at GenCon 2011; was the only person under 18 ever to do so.

Gray Whitsett - top-level player.

David Weeks - works hard on playtesting/design issues.

Graham Bingham - see David Weeks.

Tim Ballard - won several regionals this year, helped playtest.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:28 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Hey, it finally let me log Jason off! lol

My five:

Urbanjedi (Jason Kiernan): Two straight GenCon top 8s. Multiple regional titles and Top 4s. Made a lot of the custom prize support for GenCon last year. Took charge (with Engineer) of V-set distribution, and currently on the design team for V-set 4. Tournament Organizer. I might be biased, but I think he's done enough.

Ruhk (Eric Frost): Great player, nice guy. The only person to beat me at GenCon 2011 NOT currently in the HOF. Oh, and that whole prize support organizing thing.

The_Celestial_Warrior (Brad Phillips): As everyone else has said, Brad's the one who gets it done. He's a fantastic judge, a good player, and an all-around asset to the game.

Weeks (David Weeks): Another great player and squad-builder. I don't know Weeks well, but I know he's done a lot for the game, both in his local area and elsewhere.

TimmerB (Tim Ballard): Gotta go with Jason on this one. Tim is not only a great player--he's one of the most enthusiastic players I've encountered. I think one of the most important things for a HOF member is to be an ambassador for the game. I can't imagine a better ambassador than Tim.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:57 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

UrbanShmi wrote:
I think one of the most important things for a HOF member is to be an ambassador for the game. I can't imagine a better ambassador than Tim.

+1 That's one of the reasons I voted for him too, but you said it best.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:07 pm 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

ahh...that time of year again.

no particular order.

weeks
kezzamachine
chargers
darth jim
spryguy - had to put one dude from Yuuzhan'tar..err...Charlotte in there.