Separatist
Cost 28

Hit Points: 60
Defense: 18
Attack: 10
Damage: 10

Special Abilities
Unique (Counts as Boba Fett)
Accurate Shot (Can attack an enemy with cover even if it's not the nearest enemy)
Double Attack (On his turn, this character can make 1 extra attack instead of moving)
Impulsive Jedi Hunter (If a Unique allied character is defeated, for the remainder of the skirmish this character has Jedi Hunter)
Intuition (Once per round, after initiative is determined, this character can immediately move up to his speed before any other character activates)
Evade (When hit by an attack from a nonadjacent enemy, this character takes no damage with a save of 11)
Death Trap (Replaces turn: 60 damage to target within 12 squares regardless of line of sight and to each character within 6 squares of that target; save of 6 to reduce to 20 damage.)
Imposter (Clone Cadet 'Lucky' is not considered a legal target for enemies in a Republic squad until he has made an attack or used an ability that deals damage during a skirmish; characters that contain the name Guard ignore this with a save of 11. This character does not provoke attacks of opportunity against enemies in a Republic squad; this is negated with a save of 11.)

Flavor Text: "A young Boba Fett infiltrated the ranks of the Grand Army of the Republic posing as a clone cadet in order to get close enough to exact his revenge upon Mace Windu; the Jedi who killed his father."

Last edited by HanSolo79 on Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:07 am, edited 10 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Clone Cadet 'Lucky', Separatist Infiltrator
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:25 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Dear designer dudes,

Please add a version of the young Boba from Clone Wars season 2... we already have the Young Boba Merc piece that would be the perfect proxy :D :Boba:

It would be an honor to contribute something to a V-set and I believe this idea of him would be a viable piece but I would love to get any feed back on Lucky here regardless of my wish: How do those 2 ability ideas look? Usefulness? Broken or in need of better definition?

All constructive criticism and/or complements appreciated!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:36 am 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

well he is close to broken ok he is broken.
he can move and do 80 to multi characters for less than 40 pts wow.
He has way too much going on for the cost.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:21 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I actually kind of like it. For his cost he's quite lackluster without Death Trap and Clone Cadet Imposter, so you're definitely paying for those abilities. I like the idea of Death Trap, but I think it is a little much; I'd make it 40 damage, save to reduce to 20. It's still auto damage, which is always strong, and range 12 ignoring LoS is also quite good. It hits your own characters which tempers it somewhat, but 40 is a lot of automatic damage for something that's range 12 and ignores LoS, especially with the 25% chance to do 80. Keep in mind that with Clone Cadet Imposter he'll just spend the first 2 rounds running down the field against Republic squads, not getting attacked, end up within 12 squares of Mas Amedda, and then just auto-kill him with Death Trap. Reducing it to 40/20 gives Mas a 75% chance to live.

Also keep in mind that since he's a Separatist he'll have easy access to Twin, and since he already has Double and Intuition it would be easy to set up a Double/Twin with him; if he has gotten Impulsive Jedi Hunter off those shots are at +16 for 20 against Jedi with Accurate. I think I might consider dropping his attack to +10 instead of +12 so that's a little less potent.

I love the idea of Clone Cadet Imposter, but I would just change it to "Imposter" so it's easier to use on future pieces. I would also change it to "enemy Republic characters" instead of "enemies in a Republic squad" so Fringe characters can attack him, but maybe not. It seems like that ability combined with a strong auto damage ability is quite potent. Maybe you could keep it as enemies in a Republic squad but let enemies target him with a save.

With those changes you could definitely drop his cost a few points since he'd be a bit weaker, so with that I think around 25 points would be good.

If you really like him how you've got him, I'd cost him around 36. He's potentially a HUGE damage dealer with the 80/40 Death Trap and Infiltrator so he can get it setup really easily against Republic squads, but he's quite easy to kill for his cost. The way you have Imposter worded combined with 80/40 Death Trap kind of bothers me at any point cost, though, because of the interaction with Mas Amedda that I mentioned earlier (not to mention Republic commanders like Mon Mothma or Yularen). If you only make one change that I suggested, I'd make it so Republic squads have SOME way to target him while Imposter is still up (other than AoOs, because you can just move around those) by either letting Fringe characters target him or letting Republic characters make a save to attack him (it could even be a save 16 so the ability is still quite good).

"You can't per aspera ad astra unless there's some aspera in front of your astra. And that means sometimes the aspera gets you." - Donald X. Vaccarino

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:09 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Thank you Echo for the insightful critique!

Lowered his base attack by 2. Changed the definition in "Imposter" to allow characters whose name contains Guard an opportunity to attack Lucky preemptively. Death Trap has an 80/20 auto-damage, instead of 80/40.

With those changes would he be costed about right? :Boba:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:27 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Those changes do make it a lot closer. The 80 damage ceiling on Death Trap still seems strong to me, but with the bottom end being 20 now I think it's a good first draft.

I like that you added another way for Republic squads to get around Imposter. It's probably good to go now.

He's still pretty strong. Death Trap is going to be a big ability, plus he has Double with easy access to Twin and the Impulsive Jedi Hunter, so he could easily be doing 80 damage to Jedi, and he has Intuition and Accurate to set up the shots and Evade to give him a chance to survive after making them. He also has easy access to Greater Mobile Attack via the TBSV since he has Evade, so he can Intuition out, make 4 shots with Accurate, and then move 6 squares still. On the other hand, without Impulsive Jedi Hunter his attack isn't great and he's only doing 10 damage. His HP is also very low for his cost, which is a weakness, but I think that's the main thing that keeps him from being too strong.

Overall it's kind of an oddball piece, since his strengths are very strong (damage output is potentially through the roof for his cost and he is very mobile) but he has big weaknesses also (low HP and Defense, and does very relatively little damage unless he's doing Death Trap or getting Impulsive Jedi Hunter). That's not a bad thing by any means, in fact I like pieces like that.

I think you've got a pretty solid first draft here. Now would be the time to do thorough playtesting with it. Find out if Imposter is too good or not good enough, find out how he does against squads that aren't Republic squads (without Imposter does he just die easily without doing much?), stuff like that.

"You can't per aspera ad astra unless there's some aspera in front of your astra. And that means sometimes the aspera gets you." - Donald X. Vaccarino

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:15 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

why/how is it a separatist?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:10 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

This is based of the clone wars episode where young boba was working with the seps and tried to kill mace season 2 i think? He went by lucky as a cadet

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:58 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Hey hows it Az!

Thanks again for helping to bat this idea around Echo... play testing ASAP!

:Boba:

Last edited by HanSolo79 on Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:07 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Ok after some play-testing, Im reducing Death Trap from 80/20 to 60/20.

I think that makes this guy truly balanced for the cost.