logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post subject: Re: M.G.M. - Miniatures Gaming Mayhem, St. Louis Nov 12-13, 2011
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:19 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

PMing you on FB Ray.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:06 pm 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

dvader831 wrote:
Dark_Jedi_21 wrote:
Why do these epic events always have to be random draw?

B/C from all we've seen, the Vong have a pretty good advantage, due to so many of the Epics being Force based. We want to see a huge range of characters and squads out there. No matter who you get, you can have an absolute blast playing in this.

With that logic we should do a random draw for every event to determine what faction you can play.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:52 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

To make the options a little more open we are going to roll the die twice and give you a choice between 2 different epics.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:46 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

spryguy1981 wrote:
To make the options a little more open we are going to roll the die twice and give you a choice between 2 different epics.

I like the spirit of this, and it'll be fun to have a choice, but isn't the likely result of this rule just going to be that 1/6th of the field plays Lah instead of 1/12th?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:13 pm 
Moff Disra
Moff Disra

buttcabbge wrote:
I like the spirit of this, and it'll be fun to have a choice, but isn't the likely result of this rule just going to be that 1/6th of the field plays Lah instead of 1/12th?

You guys and your math logic.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:43 am 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

Engineer wrote:
buttcabbge wrote:

You guys and your math logic.

It shows he's an English Prof though...is that math even correct??? The only way it would be is if Ray and Co. control the number of times a given piece can be rolled...:D

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:47 pm 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

If Lah is so unfair why not just remove him altogether?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:20 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Dark_Jedi_21 wrote:
dvader831 wrote:
Dark_Jedi_21 wrote:
Why do these epic events always have to be random draw?

B/C from all we've seen, the Vong have a pretty good advantage, due to so many of the Epics being Force based. We want to see a huge range of characters and squads out there. No matter who you get, you can have an absolute blast playing in this.

With that logic we should do a random draw for every event to determine what faction you can play.

+1

I can't see the logic in this method and I have already said as much to Ray. Yes lah is powerful ... in epic duos. But many of the pieces are costed with mass battle ce's. Unless you have actually tested mass battle Epic SQUADS and found VONG are OP, then this is pretty ridiculous.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:25 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Also, if Lah really is that powerful all this method does is hand the tournament to the people who draw him.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:29 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Grand Moff Boris wrote:
Also, if Lah really is that powerful all this method does is hand the tournament to the people who draw him.

I agree.

That's exactly what this method does.

Lah is too powerful, and drawing him means you have a great chance of winning. Not 100%, but I'd say he has the best chance.

This is why I generally dislike tournaments where you draw your character (be it through opening a booster, or something like we're talking about here). It takes away the skill of creating a team, and puts more of it on luck of the draw.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:07 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

TimmerB123 wrote:
Lah is too powerful...

Correction... too powerful for Epic Duos. Many of the other characters have commander effects that will play a bigger role in mass battle/epic squads than they did in duos.

I don't think a Vong squad has the best chance of winning, but then again I haven't tested Epic with these cards, I only played them in duos.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:59 pm 
Ugnaught Master!
Ugnaught Master!

I highly appreciate all of your input, guys, which is why we're putting a hold on the random idea for the moment. On Sept 24, we're having a tournament here in Bolivar. Matt Spry plans on coming down and we're going to play this format as written, minus the random draw. We're going to test out theories and combos, and hopefully come to a decision on how we'll play it all out. I'm excited to play it, of course.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:24 am 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Under further review for now, but as Ray stated above, we are going to test the format with people being able to build their squads and see if it skews the results at all. I want to see if any one group dominates, how stuff interacts, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:56 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Grand Moff Boris wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:
Lah is too powerful...

Correction... too powerful for Epic Duos. Many of the other characters have commander effects that will play a bigger role in mass battle/epic squads than they did in duos.

I don't think a Vong squad has the best chance of winning, but then again I haven't tested Epic with these cards, I only played them in duos.

Ah, yes - in duos is indeed what I meant.

There are so many more possibilities in a skirmish. I'm not saying that something won't rise to the top, but I seriously doubt we will see 6 similar squads. My guess is we will see a couple sets of similar squads, maybe even a trio, but not much more than that. We'll still get variety.

There's even plenty of room to have variety around a single epic.

No reason not to let people's creativity run wild in my opinion.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:22 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

My thinking is that we will probably let people choose their epic to build around. Also I'm thinking Mas Amedda will not count as a commander for this too, because in all reality it hurts the Empire and Republic to not have access to this ability at the cost of a CE. Republic moreso because they need 3 actual CE's to have a better shot at winning.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:12 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

spryguy1981 wrote:
My thinking is that we will probably let people choose their epic to build around. Also I'm thinking Mas Amedda will not count as a commander for this too, because in all reality it hurts the Empire and Republic to not have access to this ability at the cost of a CE. Republic moreso because they need 3 actual CE's to have a better shot at winning.

OK you lost me. When has Mas ever counted as a commander? He has no CE.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:30 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Quote:
Epic Skirmish
-- Your squad can be up to 500 points, having one selected Epic character, and with a maximum of 16 characters after Reinforcements, (although any pieces obtained through Reserves may increase this number), and up to 3 useable Commander Effects (you may have more than three characters with Commander Effects, but only three of them may be used, and they must be declared before the tournament begins). For this format, Mas Amedda and Bastila Shan, Jedi Master will count as characters with Commander Effects.

Since then. :P

"You can't per aspera ad astra unless there's some aspera in front of your astra. And that means sometimes the aspera gets you." - Donald X. Vaccarino

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:38 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Echo wrote:
Quote:
Epic Skirmish
-- Your squad can be up to 500 points, having one selected Epic character, and with a maximum of 16 characters after Reinforcements, (although any pieces obtained through Reserves may increase this number), and up to 3 useable Commander Effects (you may have more than three characters with Commander Effects, but only three of them may be used, and they must be declared before the tournament begins). For this format, Mas Amedda and Bastila Shan, Jedi Master will count as characters with Commander Effects.

Since then. :P

Oh, missed that

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:58 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

What are the events scheduled for this?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:12 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Really hoping for a Royal Rumble

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next