Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

that pretty much sums up my thoughts too

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:00 pm 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

I agree totally.
Although, I HATE how the designers gave the Rebels such a huge boost. I mean, they probably spent at least 75% of the time designing Rebels stuff. Luke-Yoda is disgustingly good. Vader, Unleashed was a total missed opportunity to give some rapport and stuff like that to his apprentice. But no.
I still might pick up a pack or two, if funds allow it.

Post subject: Re: Force Unleashed - My thoughts
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:49 pm 
General
General

dnemiller wrote:
I am completely disappointed with Vader Unleashed. I face him in the Release Tourney and as long as Yuke/Loda move fast enough Vader is basically dead meat.

LOL, and I remember all the complaints about how broken he is when the figure was first spoiled :)

Gotta agree on sculpts and paint jobs, only got my 2 boosters to go on right now but I'm very impressed.

Post subject: Re: Force Unleashed - My thoughts
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:11 pm 
General
General

dnemiller wrote:
Wedge772 wrote:
dnemiller wrote:
I am completely disappointed with Vader Unleashed. I face him in the Release Tourney and as long as Yuke/Loda move fast enough Vader is basically dead meat.

LOL, and I remember all the complaints about how broken he is when the figure was first spoiled :)

Gotta agree on sculpts and paint jobs, only got my 2 boosters to go on right now but I'm very impressed.

oh I am sure he can be good but I think you find that if possible folks will rush him and then crush him

Definitely, that was my experience when I played around with the stats when they were spoiled. Never got an opportunity to pull off a Lightsaber Throw 5, and I don't think a smart opponent will often give you that opportunity. Sure, kill R2, by the time he's in LOS you're probably not in a position to want to stand still. Killer on Korriban, pretty meh elsewhere.

That said, I did pull him in my boosters, so let's get back to talking about how to build a broken squad with him 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:45 pm 

No one every claimed the new Vader was broken, not anyone who knew what the piece could actually do.

He's a counter to previously tested ideas, mainly towing R2.

In a sealed game you sure could run Loda up to him and make a go of it, but in an actual DCI game you won't be doing that.

the one place you don't want Loda is in the bubble.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:34 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I like the boost the Rebels got (but I am a biased Rebel Player :))

But I'll really agree with what some have said about the bigget boost going to...

...Vong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:58 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

I don't think that Vader, Unleashed is entirely dissappointing, however, he does fall fairly quickly against good melee beats and good ranged attackers.

His defense is nice as well as the dark armor, but it does no good against good lightsaber wielders such as the new Shaak-Ti, which is exactly what happened to me the first time that I used him. I was able to get some nice "auto" damage on her with Force Grip 4 before she based me, won the next intiative and then proceeded to destroy the mighty Vader. I was then afraid to attack her because of the double ripostes.

I think the new Shaak-Ti totally outclasses the other Jedi and has proven to me to be a real threat especially with her access to Republic and Rebel factions, nice force powers, abilities, and MOTF2. I also think that she is what Luke Jedi Master should have been.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:13 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

dnemiller wrote:

oh I am sure he can be good but I think you find that if possible folks will rush him and then crush him

Rush him, crush him, smush him, push him! ( into a pit. or lava. ) :D

The rebs have a huge advantage, just because they have acess to the latest and greatest jedi all of a sudden. Kota, shaak ti, VA redeemed, luke hoth pilot unleashed ( amazing for his cost, BTW ).

The rebels still have enough disruptive and initative control to out-fight the vong, even without the force. As long as you don't make an all-force user squad, you will be alright. The vong are still weak.

The empire has some new toys, but nothing too amazing. The evo trooper is really cool. But they aren't that good. I'd rather have Luke, hoth pilot unleashed rather than VA unleashed. Force push with sight is amazing. :shock:

http://www.swshoebox.com/userSquad.cfm?user=sirstevee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:59 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

Despite that ozzel is just an imperial version of san hill, I think he'll defeinitely be good on a competive level. Also, I think Revan helps out the sith somewhat, he's got MT, and good ce's. Revan might not be great at 150 but 200 I think he has some potential. At least the sith faction has a good ce to build on for when more sith pieces come out. I like Vader Unleashed and VA Unleashed, Vader unleshed might be competive, it depends on the squad you build, I'll probably try to make a good squad using him. Garm helps out both the Rebels but more importantly the NR. The Rancor is good, he'll be great with jabba crime lord and thrawn. While I agree that Rebels gets a huge boost, I think they're are a lot of great figs in TFU.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:34 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

See, not all those Affinity pieces are best in Rebels. Kazden works better in Republic, along with Kota (imo). Shaak Ti is good enough on her own that either factions can use her equally. Garm works slightly better with Rebels, but he provides many good options for NR.

That and the Seps got a fun Huge to play with. Twin, Double, Splash is going to be fun. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:37 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

I am pleased with the sculpts and the paint jobs.

I like the affinity. Always thought the Rebels/Republic/New Republic should have more interactions.

Same could be said for the Republic/Empire.

Maybe. Just maybe my boys can protect the book. Yeah, and maybe I'm a Chinese jet pilot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:45 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I don't know about Vader, Dean. The guy that pulled him at our event took third, losing to the first-place player only because he got out-activated at the end of the final game.

I think he is going to be very, very good in construted squads, but you really have to build around him. VU + RS Palpatine is tough.

In a B&B squad, you can keep VU back for enough rounds that he can really build up some Force. A lot of it comes down to map choice and initiative rolls.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:47 am 

Boris wrote:
I don't know about Vader, Dean. The guy that pulled him at our event took third, losing to the first-place player only because he got out-activated at the end of the final game.

I think he is going to be very, very good in construted squads, but you really have to build around him. VU + RS Palpatine is tough.

In a B&B squad, you can keep VU back for enough rounds that he can really build up some Force. A lot of it comes down to map choice and initiative rolls.

On that very topic, I think that RS Emperor Palpy is going to see A LOT more play these days.
Either him and Vader's Apprentice, or him and Vader, Unleashed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:40 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

dnemiller wrote:
Oh I like the FU set dont get me wrong here.... I just think that considering the affinity the Rebels got to with their new characters and then factoring in A&E they look like they have been doing some cycles or taking HGH.....

Yes Ozzel will be a great help to Imps but I am kind of disappointed by the fact that they really just rehashed an old CE for the IMP's while the rebels basically are on new ground.....

The NR will benefit from Garm definately but so will the Rebels....

The Sith I have to say give me a break.... Revan was put in the set to shut people up and at his point cost... it is very prohibitive to use him even at 200.... Very hard to use effectively against.. Imp, Rebs and Republic....

I like the set and love the sculpts... but where in A&E they seemed to concentrate on gameplay and les on sculpts it almost seems the trends was reversed here..... Am I the only one that thinks Force Push, Repulse and Force Lightening, effective as they are seemed kind of similar in the way they work... especially with the different levels.....

SO overall I give the set a B.... but as much as we talk about game balance and a year ago said we needed the Rebels to be competitive.... I thought A&E kind of brought the Rebels in line with the Imps but now we have seemly passed another faction up....

I am not griping or mad I am just taking an objective look at the set.... I will get all the pieces and will play them like Ihave every set.... But I really hope that some point I can choose from Rebs, Imps, Seps, Republic, NR, OR, Vong and Mandos and not have a major competitive dropoff because I want to play one faction or another....

Just my thoughts

Revan may have been put in there to make people stop making threads like "We need Revin !!!!11111!" But Revan is still part of the Star Wars universe. I don't see Revan's cost as that hard to build on, he only costs 13 points more than Vader JH. But a lot of fringe will work well with Revan, such as the E522 Assasin droid, Boba Merc, the new Tank droid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:50 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Well, I got my first few pieces yesterday and I'm very impressed with the sculpts so far: Luke and Yoda is pretty good, and Juno Eclipse is very well done (female figures and faces are difficult to get right, and I'm impressed.) The Verpine Tech is spot on, and the Raxus Prime Trooper and Evo Trooper are excellent too.

But because it's a Huge set, and there's only 7 of the VR's I actually want (Loda, Shaak Ti, Revan, Fett, Brood, Rancor, Vader), I'm only buying singles this time around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:16 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

I think FU is very good. I like a lot of the new combos (but I'm a Rebel guy for the most part).

I love the sculpts, so far too.

She giveth, and she taketh away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:50 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

So far, I am REALLY impressed with this set. The paint jobs and sculpts are all top-notch so far. Revan is actually one of the coolest looking miniatures period, IMO. Very well done on his sculpt.

Vader playable? I think so. I had him in our release tourney on Saturday and took 3rd place, only losing one game because I forgot about Kota's Repulse 5 and he managed to hit Vader with it twice (2nd time was unavoidable, at the very end of the game). Then in anotehr Release event on Sunday the 1st place guy had Vader, and beat me in the final round (I had Kota and Revan incidentally). Vader's 23 Defense is still really good, and honestly, Grip 4 is more powerful the LT5, IMO. I used Grip SEVERAL times throughout the events (and got hit by it several times). Highlight of Saturday was using Grip to wipe out an opponent's Admiral Ozzel. "Lord Vader, we moved the ships out of hyperspace and are preparing to....ACK!..." :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:26 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

LoboStele wrote:
So far, I am REALLY impressed with this set. The paint jobs and sculpts are all top-notch so far. Revan is actually one of the coolest looking miniatures period, IMO. Very well done on his sculpt.

Vader playable? I think so. I had him in our release tourney on Saturday and took 3rd place, only losing one game because I forgot about Kota's Repulse 5 and he managed to hit Vader with it twice (2nd time was unavoidable, at the very end of the game). Then in anotehr Release event on Sunday the 1st place guy had Vader, and beat me in the final round (I had Kota and Revan incidentally). Vader's 23 Defense is still really good, and honestly, Grip 4 is more powerful the LT5, IMO. I used Grip SEVERAL times throughout the events (and got hit by it several times). Highlight of Saturday was using Grip to wipe out an opponent's Admiral Ozzel. "Lord Vader, we moved the ships out of hyperspace and are preparing to....ACK!..." :D

And by the by, I just can't resist a tiny jab... pre-release, everyone was preaching about how none of these uber force powers would ever be used, because it took 3 turns to charge one up. Now, you just took a pair of Repulse 5 hits :)

I agree, the set is MUCH better sculpt/paint wise than A&E. I'm a fan for that alone. As for the set, I stand by some of my earlier assertions... that we've seen a bunch of stuff get ramped pretty solidly and some of the pieces in FU are (in my opinion) pretty under-costed. This having been said, I don't think anything in the set shatters the game in any way. Indeed, all of the real power pieces had been previewed. Everything that came post-previews was fairly standard... some invalidation of prior stuff, but overall nothing gamebreaking.

The race for meta now will be fun to watch, that's for sure :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:48 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Haha, good point Grambo. I never argued that it would be impossible, and I will admit I was shocked after the game that it actually happened. I also made the mistake in the final game of the 2nd tourney I did by not letting my Kota continue to build FPs for a 2nd Repulse (used a FP or two for re-rolls). Might've won if I hadn't done that.

Yeah, we definitely saw the best stuff get previewed, and there's a few in there that we got previews for that really stink too. I do have to say that probably one of the things that most disappoints me is the Darktrooper. They are a great sculpt, cool looking piece, but with only 20 HP, they'll die so easily. Without Vader, IC, they won't last long at all. But, dang, Splash 20 is amazing, lol.

Some other things like the Emperor's Shadow Guard aren't quite as good as I originally thought either. I think maybe Shaak Ti was the only one we didn't get a preview of that turned out to be one of the really great pieces, but she doesn't really seem to out-class anything else anyways.

The crazy thing is, Yoda of Dagobah from Clone Strike is still every bit as useful as he's always been, if not more so now. So, the cycle of making old figures continue to be playable continues. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:02 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

I agree, only Shaak Ti was missing from the previews... well, that and the turret which is really pretty amazing for 26 (particularly if you're using Gambit rules).

I will make one observation... to everyone who thinks the Imperials didn't get much in this set... consider this.

Darth IC
Fel Officer
Many stormies

Something about a 5 point piece with a defense of 26 that just makes me want to throw up... and don't even bring up what Thrawn does to that...

As for the Dark Trooper... I think he's fine, just situational (which is correct in my opinion). I would agree if he'd been a couple more points and 30 health, I would have liked him a LOT more. Still, as is, very very powerful when used properly. I see them as similar to Rebel Vanguards...

I do agree that some of the previous pieces got even better (Yoda, Palp)... but I don't agree that we've seen some major resurrection of old stuff. By and large, the things we saw a TON of use of will get even more use. For example, they pumped up uggies... well, you already saw them in every squad. Palp and Yoda boosted... great, they were viable anyway. Show me how any of the old Republic Jedi became viable again (which didn't happen) or how a fringe shooter who was "so so" became useful, and you'll have my attention... but I've yet to see it at all. Kota can improve fringe shooters, but that happened anyway all the time with Thrawn... so the same fringe shooters will appear...

Still, the set isn't "game breaking" by any stretch... and it will revitalize SWM (hopefully... my LGSs haven't embraced it yet). And I'm having fun trying to figure out how the hell I'll store all THESE figs now ;)