logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Allied characters are treated as having the same name
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:28 pm 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Alright let's see if I can explain this right and then see if anyone can help explain this to my friends. I know how the CE works but my friends can't seem to grasp it and I just can't find a way to explain it to them. Let's take the most recent argument. We were playing a 400 pnt, 1 epic, mass battle kind of game, he had mandalore with kal skirata and darmin and niner, a Jedi hunter, jaina, Celeste mourn and some other filler. He thought that everyone including jaina, Celeste, the Jedi hunter and even mandalore would get squad assult, defense, and firepower. I told him it doesn't work that way that you give the squad abilites to the people that the ce said and then everyone counts as having the same name so that those characters with the abilites can use them. He just said no way cause it said this before the commander effect and so everyone would get it. I then said if were going to look at it that way then no one would get it due to mando conscription and there would be no republic commandos they would all be Mando commandos. He then got uptight and said he's tired of them wording things that don't work that way and that after reading this it's perfectly clear on how it should work. And I told him if it's perfectly clear that it should work that way then how come I have never read it that way. That IMO it's pefectly clear the way I read it. This happend before when gree came out with it and we just forgot all about because we don't play gree. Maybe I don't know a good way to explain it to them so can someone help me out. Is there a page were it's written out in better detail to show them that, if thet would even help, (they might misread that as well). Just wondering if anyone can help me explain these rules to help them understand.

Post subject: Re: Allied characters are treated as having the same name
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:44 pm 
Jedi Battlemaster
Jedi Battlemaster

Start with the little things:

-Does character x in question have an ability with Squad on their card? Or can they get it from a commander?
-Break down the CE text as it appears on the card:

Kal:

"Allied characters are treated as having the same name as each other, only for purposes of special abilities whose name contains Squad. Allies whose names contain ARC Trooper or Republic Commando gain Squad Assault and Squad Cover. "

Niner:

"Allied characters are treated as having the same name as each other, only for purposes of special abilities whose name contains Squad. Characters in your squad (including this character) whose names contain ARC Trooper or Republic Commando gain Squad Firepower. "

Gree:

"Allied characters are treated as having the same name as each other, only for purposes of special abilities whose name contains Squad. Followers within 6 squares gain Squad Assault. "

In all three, the "treated as the same" bit comes first.

so think "Does the character have an ability with squad?"

if they do, great, then anyone else nearby can help them get their squad ability!

if not, go to part 2:

2. Ignoring the first sentence, can they get the Squad ability now from the CE?
Gree: You must be a follower.
Niner & Kal: You must have ARC trooper, or Republic Commando in their name (or count as one via Omega Squad)

Do they get it? If yes, see CE part 1 now again..

To try to understand the first sentence of the CEs in a simpler way.. try :
Your guy (with a squad ability) is dumb. He's so dumb he thinks that everyone else around him is a clone of him. Since he thinks everyone around him is a clone of him, he thinks he's in a squad, thus he get the squad bonus (provided there are enough 'clones' around him).

Hope I helped you find ways to explain it. There may be a glossary entry for the CEs that better does though..

Join the FOLLY! Online casual League, find out more here: FOLLY

Post subject: Re: Allied characters are treated as having the same name
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:46 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

You have it right.

The quickest way to explain it is,ask if the Commander Effect granting the stuff is a Special Ability with Squad in it's name? That tends to be the easiest route.

You can explain it as the name part of the CE is essentially granting "Name, this character is considered to be named Name), similar to various Trooper/Soldier abilities.