logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Molding Custom Figures for Reproduction???
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:13 pm 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

I know this thread is about custom figures, however I think this is something that may effect the entire community. One of the guys in our playgroup has been experimenting with making molds of Star Wars Miniatures figures. He has cast a few, and when painted, they are almost indistinguishable from the original figure. In preparing for the October WAMPA Stompa tournament, we are making many, many custom figures. We thought about making molds of these figures to give away as extra sets. But I don't want to do anything that will get us as a community in trouble with WotC or LucasArts. With that being said, these are my questions.

Do you think that reproducing customs in this fashion is a form of copyright infringement? This is not something that we would be trying to make any money off of. We just want to produce some to give away as prize support, and maybe a couple extra for ourselves.

What about making molds of existing figures to make duplicates of WotC made figures? This is more for those instances when someone loses a figure and needs a replacement. They would not be intended to deceive people with fake figures for trade. The base of the figure would be blank and not have the typical WotC stamp.

How would you, as players, feel about receiving customs produced like this as prize support? I would think that most people wouldn't care as long as they look and feel like the figures we are used to. This would allow us to have even more customs to use as prize support for the WAMPA Stompa and future tournaments.

Please let me know what you think so that we can decide if we should attempt to go any further.

Thanks,
Roy

AFM: drkjedi35
Bloomilk: swrogue57

Post subject: Re: Molding Custom Figures for Reproduction???
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:31 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

My personal feeling is that for individual use and casual play for v-set pieces - go ahead! Absolutely no problem there. Make all you want (really nobody could stop you anyway)

But as far as tournaments - there are some who might cry foul. Officially it has to have the base of the figure it is representing (a legit base). Of course - as for the V-Set, since there are no actual figures for these pieces, this is gray area.

For competitive tournaments I would worry about using molded reproduction pieces of non v-set figures.

But V-set pieces is another story.

My good friend is also molding custom figures. He is only doing them of V-Set pieces, since they don't exist he's making them from random existing figures (SWM, D7D, Hero Clicks), then making a cast mold for the finished product. I personally don't find any fault with it for the V-Sets, but I'd be curious to see how a judge ruled using them in a tournament.

To me - it's always been about playing the game. I never have blinked when someone wants to use a proxy figure (not the unique droid, just any substitute :mrgreen: ). I'd rather someone play an optimal squad than play with less than that because they can't afford a figure.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:42 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

I would like to see what some of these molded figures look like, they sound intresting.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:27 am 
General
General

Abiwan made me a Salacious Crumb, molded from the Crumb on the RS Jabba. I think TimmerB's friend probably did the same. It looks absolutely brilliant :) Salacious Crumb is a fantastic mini that I didn't use much before because I hated the possible stand-in minis, but with the molded Crumb he's been making it into pretty much all my squads now. As far as molding goes, it really is one of the simplest minis to do, and adds so much to the game. I don't see how anyone would have a problem with it, and I think it would make great tournament prize support.

I wouldn't have a problem either with someone molding a whole Mouse Droid army either, but I'm sure there are others who wouldn't like that. I'd rather see the efforts go into V-set minis anyway.

The next molded piece I'm getting Abiwan's help with is Sy Snootles (based on a Micro Machine Action Fleet figure). Once that is done, I'll just need to start lobbying the designers to put Sy Snootles in an upcoming V-Set... :emperor:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:56 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

Ehat material do you recommend to use with molding?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:37 pm 

I'm not sure what he is using Ray, but I will find out and let you know.

Roy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:53 am 
True Bothan Spy
True Bothan Spy

So anyone have extras? :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:21 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

I give this two thumbs up. If we can produce our own minis in this fashion it will only help keep the game alive.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:02 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

Atleast until lucas hunts us all down for copyright infringment like they do now with napster/limewire...lol

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:48 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

gwek wrote:
So anyone have extras? :)

Yes. Salacious, Jaster Mareel, Sora Bulq, and Exar DFS

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=12436

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:21 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

no pictures yet on this?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:05 pm 

I'm trying to get him to send me some pics so I can post them.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:14 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

TimmerB123 wrote:
But as far as tournaments - there are some who might cry foul. Officially it has to have the base of the figure it is representing (a legit base). Of course - as for the V-Set, since there are no actual figures for these pieces, this is gray area.

For competitive tournaments I would worry about using molded reproduction pieces of non v-set figures.

My good friend is also molding custom figures. He is only doing them of V-Set pieces, since they don't exist he's making them from random existing figures (SWM, D7D, Hero Clicks), then making a cast mold for the finished product. I personally don't find any fault with it for the V-Sets, but I'd be curious to see how a judge ruled using them in a tournament.

Actually it's quite clear in the Floor Rules. There is a clear distinction Pre-DotF and Post-DotF, especially when it comes to the base model.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:30 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

The_Celestial_Warrior wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:

Actually it's quite clear in the Floor Rules. There is a clear distinction Pre-DotF and Post-DotF, especially when it comes to the base model.

I am trying to see the distinction. In both cases it looks like it need to be a SWM base. What am I missing?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:47 am 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

The V-set cards are already using Lucas / WotC images, character names, movie quotes, etc. - so I don't see how making a mold of Salacious Crumb is all that different. As long as you aren't making tons of money selling them, I doubt your group will attract the attention of any lawyers. You might just want to keep them off eBay and other places where the lawyers go trolling for countefeit merchandise.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:15 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Alright - pics are up of the custom resin molds

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=12436

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:58 pm 
The One True Sith Lord
The One True Sith Lord

barzillai wrote:
The V-set cards are already using Lucas / WotC images, character names, movie quotes, etc. - so I don't see how making a mold of Salacious Crumb is all that different. As long as you aren't making tons of money selling them, I doubt your group will attract the attention of any lawyers. You might just want to keep them off eBay and other places where the lawyers go trolling for countefeit merchandise.

You cannot make any money pretty much FYI it is already on Lucas' radar not that anyone cares what Ihave to say but just to say it is.

Also you are seriously missing the mark on who would get mad about the production. Now not only do you need to worry about Lucas but now you have to add in who has the rights that were given to them via a large monetary contract. Fantasy Flight might not feel so giddy about having competition for a product they have exclusive rights to.

Collection: 934/934

SWM DCI Content Manager