logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Activations and tempo?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:12 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Ok I've been playing minis for a while but, I read some posts that confused me and question my game play, tempo control? I know San Hill has it but not sure how it is advantagous. I don't understand how you can get higher activations? Any answers would great

PS: if you wanna call me a noob for not understanding fine

Post subject: Re: Activations and tempo?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:01 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

Tempo Control refers to a piece with a Commander Effect that allows you to activate a different number of pieces each phase, rather than the standard 2. One common way to use Tempo Control is to out-activate your opponent - you can move one piece at a time, while they activate all their pieces, then hit them hard with some big Opportunist strikes. This is often done in Rebels with General Dodonna, Han Smuggler, and Princess Leia.

Some of the most common pieces with tempo control are:
General Dodonna - allows you to choose between activating 1 and 2 pieces per phase
Admiral Ozzel - 1 per phase
San Hill - 1 per phase
Grand Moff Tarkin - 1, 2, or 3 characters per phase, but only if you have line of sight to the enemy
Mandalorian Tactician - 2 or 3 characters per phase, but only if you have line of sight to the enemy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:12 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Ok I kinda get it now (will be sure to use in future)

But if your opponent picks characters with cunning attack they could punish you for activating less, unless of course your using Tarkin or Mando tact...then they could use characters with opprotunist to punish you for activating more. In fact a squad with a mix of cunning attack and opprotunists would easily counter tempo control I'd think

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:46 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

Activating 1 piece at a time can definitely be a disadvantage in some scenarios - if you're playing Ozzel or San Hill, your opponent can charge at you early in the round, knowing that you only have one activation to respond to every two of their moves - it's not always helpful. And running Ozzel in a Thrawn swap squad only helps if you know for sure that you can out-activate your opponent.

Dodonna is always useful though, as he gives you the choice.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:48 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

You would think, but people can usually position pieces well enough that they won't fall prey to your Opportunist or Cunning strikes, or they can just throw Mouse Droids in your way if you don't have Accurate Shot.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:01 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Well like TheHutts said it does depend on the scenario...also who your opponent is, and the other pieces they pick besides the tempo controller.

and idk a squad mixed well enough with cunning and opprotunists could prove very lethal especially with the right commander. Point is even with tempo control they would have to be very careful about who they activate, when, and where they move them.

I find your lack of faith disturbing :vader:

Last edited by Strahlung on Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:08 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

It is totally possible to beat a squad that out-activates yours...but it's hard, and takes a good deal of careful tactics and some luck.

The end-of-round strikes are going to hurt, so you have to put yourself in position to deliver major hurt to start the next round as well. Another tactic that can work is to deliver well-timed mid-round strikes: make a big attack, and then use a movement-breaker (often via CEs that allow pieces to switch positions with each other, like Thrawn or Panaka, or even Revan SL) to escape back to safety, so that your opponent has no significant targets to hit at the end of the round.

Actually, a number of years ago people used to laugh at the thought of San Hill being a meta piece. But then some players were able to convince the gaming community that San Hill could be used to good effect in the right squads and with proper tactics. Since then, tempo control has played a big part in the competitive game.