logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Formats
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:50 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Just wondering, does anyone play 100 or 150 anymore?

What about Dynamic Duo, or Epic?

How about 8-man? 10-man? (For those who don't know, this is a format where you cannot bring more than the listed number of figures.)

Right now I am working on a new format but it is very premature for me to discuss it because some of the kinks need to be ironed out.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

Post subject: Re: Formats
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:57 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

We still play Dynamic Duo a few times a year and Every Thanksgiving weekend we have our Annual Terrible Trio (3/150) WE were just kicking around playing a Uttini format for fun. (we are looking forward to the new Epic pieces to run some stuff there.)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:02 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Here in Atlanta we pretty much only play 200 points right now, but that's partly because it's the "competitive" time of the year with regionals just passing and GenCon on the horizon. During the "off season" we occasionally do different things, mostly different versions of sealed, including a format we (well, Graham) retrofitted from the SWCCG called The Cube, which is pretty much just a sealed event with a specific selection of what pieces are available (mostly bad ones, lol). Our favorite non-competitive format is actually multi-player Cube games, either free-for-all or team games, often times over multiple maps (a few months ago we played a big 5-player free for all on the Mos Eisley Meltdown maps).

We pretty much never play 100 or 150 points.

"You can't per aspera ad astra unless there's some aspera in front of your astra. And that means sometimes the aspera gets you." - Donald X. Vaccarino

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:31 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

I mostly play 200, although late last year I was playing a ton of tile wars (to be fair, typically 200 point tile wars). Here in KC we also seem to have quite a bit of love for themed stuff (ie, trying to build squads around scenes in movies, books, etc), although even that stuff we tend to play at 200 or more. I can't remember the last time I played 100 or 150 that wasn't at Gencon. Frankly, I can't imagine playing either format just for fun--100 always seems to me to be kind of silly, and I wasn't playing competitively yet when 150 was standard, so I never developed that gut feel for it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:05 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I do miss 150. We play at least one 3 game round of 150 and 100 at the Marmalade Dog tournies.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:18 pm 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

We prefer 150 over 200. Mostly less commander effects and more thought and strategy, faster games for younger kids.

In the spring we have March Madness: 5 pieces, factions, 150 points, 1 huge (big guy), 1 unique medium (superstar), 3 non-unique.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:28 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

If our group was still playing, I'm sure we would still be playing 100 on occasion, and 150 as much as 200. 150 was pretty popular, and in both smaller formats people liked the quicker games. 100 was a very different animal for sure, and it wasn't uncommon for folks to just bring a dynamic duo (and do OK with it).

Tile Wars and Dynamic Duo, Trios, Fours were all well-liked. We were playing a lot of custom/restricted formats near the end and generally had a good time with that. We never got around to playing Zombies though. :(

It's good to mix it up.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:13 am 
General
General

Yes, our league does still do 100 and 150 point games. Some of the younger players like higher point games so they can play their higher point figures. But the lower point games bring out some of the strategy as MM noted. And quicker games mean we get more games in.

We also do a variety of other formats as well. Check out www.swminiverse.com where we note the details and the podcast where we review how the formats/games went.