logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Re: Wisconsin Regional
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:14 am 
General
General

Play, people, venue, etc were all good last year. We hope to repeat the positives.

The only negative thing I can think of was how the prize draft was done. Made for a verrry long evening. (I understand why it was done, but also advised against it.)

And we won't do it that way this year. Yes, people will get some choice of their prize, but it won't be a long, drawn-out process.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:08 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

billiv15 wrote:
Lou or myself.

What was the problem with last year? This would be the very first I've ever heard of it? As for the Game dying, Jonny, get over it. It's not dying, some people have moved on, and that's fine and expected. To be quite honest, I'm actually quite pleased with how many people are sticking with us. I thought the numbers would have dwindled further when WotC ended their part of the game.

Store owner money problem which will not be happening this year. New place
Prizes taking a little longer than they should. Different way of doing the prizes this year.
gaming space was tight which will not be a problem this year. We should have more than enough space.
Computer problems thats not really up to us
The biggest one is a marketing problem I didnt figure out till just a few days ago.

All of theses things were small problems but I guess some people will not come to the regional because of them.

Side note
I found the old Niles 09 regional report and found the college kids that were there on facebook. I sent them all a message.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:50 pm 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

How did Bill do with that Joruus squad? Inquiring minds want to know!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:58 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

We had 19 players.

Top 4

Tim Double Lancer with whorm(5-0)
Jake Nom Bomb(4-1) Lost to Tim
Matt Handmaidens OR(4-1) Lost to Jonny
Jason Boba Mira OR(3-2)9 Lost to Tim and someone else

I dont know who won I left early. It was Tim or Jake.

5th Bill Joruus/Cad bane(3-2)9 lost to Jason/Tim
6th Jonny Wookiees/Mira (3-2)9 lost to Tim/Bill ARGGGGGGGGGGGGG darn rules lol
7th some type of seps (3-2)9 Weak SOS

Mark only had 7 or 8 points guessing he got 8th(Rebel SS with Zuckuss and Han rogue) 3-2

Thoses are all the 3-2 and above

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:02 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Thanks for a really awesome tournament.

Thanks to Tim (Chargers) and Jonny B for setting it up.

Thanks to Lou for driving all that way to judge. It was a really smoothly run tournament.

-Final standings ended up the exact same as the Swiss.

I'll do a full write up soon.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:45 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

Good Lord, Tim, another one? Congrats yet again.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:59 pm 
Name Calling Internet Bully

--Death by Lightning--
54 Cad Bane
51 Joruus C'Baoth
32 Thrawn (Mitth'raw'nuruodo)
16 Admiral Gilad Pellaeon
11 Grand Moff Tarkin
8 Mas Amedda
4 Gran Raider
12 Rodian Brute x4
12 Ugnaught Demolitionist x4

(200pts. 15 activations)

3-2 at the Wisconsin Regional, 9pts, finished all 5 games completely. Ended up tied for 4th with Urbanjedi, Jonny, and another player. This actually broke our tie breaker system, and we had to use a very flawed result to determine that Jason would be 4th, which I think was as correct as possible, and I was 5th, and Jonny 6th. More on this later this week when Jason and I rewrite the floor rules for tournament tie breakers. We had a great discussion about it at the regional, with some excellent ideas brought up by Lou, Jason, Jonny, Matt, Will and Tim. But more on that later.

Going in, my goal was 3 wins, and in particular, I wanted to see if Pal was indeed a good Bastila counter - as I thought he would be. I also wanted to try out Joruus, since I never play tested him myself, and these would be my first games ever with him lol. Also, I've never played Cad in a tournament outside of 100pts. Finally, the squad choice was also based on the fact that Wisconsin Regional would have about 1/2 young kids, and I wanted to play something more fun than competitive. Although, with all the options this squad has, I still believed I could win at least 3 times.

Round 1 - sure enough, paired against a very nice 11 year old. He played well, had just recently started playing the game, so I gave him some things to kill and won easily, but we had fun. Oddly, this would hurt me later in the tournament, and contribute to the tie breaker problems, but I ended up being able to give him 2 ugnaughts (he had none, and had 4pts remaining in his squad) and he and his dad had a spectacular day. Tim (Wisconsin Tim from MM podcast) does a tremendous job with his league group and we are planning a fall event there soon! 1-0.

Round 2, played Jonny with Bastila, 4 Wookies, and Mira/Senator combo. This was one of the match ups I really wanted to play against. I swapped out Tarkin for Ozzel - planning for a first round assault on either the wookiees or Mira depending on what Jonny gave me. He chose not to use ABM that first round, so I knew this would be the round to kill it. We played on his map, Ravaged base, I deferred and he picked the inside. He moved his 4 wooks, 2 to the bottom, and 2 to the top middle hallway, and Mira/Sen to the wall of the middle room - pretty typical starting movements. What jonny didn't see was my planned abuse of Joruus' CE. After he was activated, I moved a scrub to the first door, then ran an ug 12 right down the middle, to within 6 of the far door. Joruus had a planned los to that ug through the room on the right diagonally, with a Rodian Brute being able to run 12 down that hall as well. Set all that up, Joruus used his CE on the ug, who mvoed 6 and blew the door, Thrawn swapped Cad into gambit, who moved up and took 4 shots on the two wookiees at the top, clear los to the first, then once dead, clear los to the second, killing both. I won init, used Cad again to kill a 3rd wookiee at the bottom and retreated 6 towards my commanders. He immediately used ABM to try to trap Cad, since killing the wook closed his door as well, and openned the door with an ug. What he didn't see, was that I could move Pal within 6 of Cad, and 6 of thrawn, allowing me to swap him with Ozzel. I did so, he responded by killing Ozzel, and Mira attacking Cad through the hole in the wall 4 times, hoping against hope for me to fail 3/4 evades, which I did not. I won init, killed his last wook and went to work on Mira. He eventually killed Cad, but Joruus finished the job with a double lightning. All in all, a great example of how Pal can work against the OR.

Round 3 - Jason with Mira/Senator, Boba BH, Lobot/gha/4 mice and ugs. He brought 10 mice with reinforcements to force me to swap Tarkin for Ozzel, which I did. I won map so we played on Jabba's palace, I had the left side. I set up after him and gave him a first round run 12 with lobot, open two doors, shoot Cad with Boba which would allow me to kill Lobot, he made the right choice, took the bait after firing off Bastilla first and shot Cad, who of course failed both evades taking 60. At that point, I had to change strategy, and instead of killing Lobot/attacking Boba, and waiting to be dominated, I had to shoot then retreat. I killed lobot, hit Boba for 60, which he evaded both shots, and ran behind a wall. Since my original plan was to stay there and shoot again with dominate, I now had to try to swap with Joruus instead. Of course since I planned something different, I was one square away from setting up a double lightning late in the round against his Mira. Ugg. So I went with plan 3, swapping Cad (using Pal to move him) and trying to dominate him to shoot Mira, who had run to gambit at the end of a round. Of course, I made the dominate save. But at least I thought, I still had evade to save me, and I could activate Mira with Joruus to start the next round. I used lightning 4 on her, she took 50dmg and failed the save. Senator granted Mira the shots, she fired on Cad, and of course, he fails the evade dying. Jason now uses his 14 mice to surround Mira and Boba, and I realize that I made a bigger mistake than I had previously thought. A double lightning would have worked, if I had waiting one round to fire it, which also would have been the round ABM was off, but of course I was 1 FP short lol. So instead of trying to dominate Boba to kill Mira, I chose to retreat and get some force, which would cost me Thrawn, but that was the best choice. Next round, I move Joruus at the end, set up lightning on Boba, and lose init. Boba activates (Mira still behind the mouse wall since my scrubs and commanders hit the first 3 attacks, then missed every other attack for the rest of the game). Had no choice but to put 50dmg on Boba. Mira then pounded Joruus without ABM and we played for init, which I lost, killing Joruus. 2-1. Really, I didn't need the bait trick early, and should have just played it safer when he fired off ABM round one. I realized this mid game, but being my 3rd game with the squad, that's how it goes.

Round 4 against Mark with Rebel SS squad of Reikan, Luke Com, 2 ERCs, Han Rogue, Crix and filler. He did not have Dodonna, but even if he had, I still would have swapped for Ozzel as I had more activations. He won map, so it made it a tougher game than it would have playing on Smuggler's Base. I used the Joruus/Ugo trick from the Jonny game to get Cad way farther than he realized, and put 4 shots into an activated Crix with no cover, just outside of disruptive and he failed 2 of the saves killing him. I won the next init, and swapped Cad away. He was at a loss, losing his disruptive and cunning really hurt. It was methodical from there, setting up a lightning on Luke/Han and then finishing Han with Cad, then killing the rest of his squad. Got to 200pts with about 5 minutes left, since I couldn't safely gain gambit any round. 3-1, now in 2nd place as only Tim was left undefeated since I was paired up and beat the 3rd 3-0 that round.

Round 5 - and this was the one that really killed the tie breaker situation, against Tim with double lancer. I won map, he chose the right side, and I set up all my commanders and ugs in the upper left lancer safe room. I swapped Joruus for Vader SA, and while I knew I would have little trouble with this squad in killing a single lancer, I wasn't so sure I could even compete with 2 lancer and an IG86. Left Tarkin/Pal out of the room, and advanced them separately towards gambit to force his lancer to come get them, and also get in range of Cad/Vader. He brought the MTB and mice for reinforcements obviously. Also had some random scrubs running to bad places, where he was forced to chase them, and Vader/Cad moved into the safe room near gambit. The killer came on the very first init, where he rolled 1,1 for his inits gaining reserves... Brought in a Sergeant which would be key later as I had to kill it rather than put 20 on a lancer. But anyways, we move through round 2, he kills the expected scrubs and Pal, leaving Tarkin (missed an attack, and didn't have twin set up yet - since he was using whorm rather than GGDAC). That allowed me to casually move Tarkin into gambit and open a door with los to a mouse, that Tim missed. He moved some scrub, and then realized his mistake of not locking the door. Taking my opportunity, I started counting Vader squares for a move/swap/attack. I debated heavily which figure to attack, the lancer that went first, so I'd get opportunist, and for sure kill since it had taken 10 dmg on a pawn, the unhit unactivated lancer, or the unhit IG-86. I decided on the hit lancer, since Bane could also kill a mouse if I hit both attacks, realized 2 minutes later that was the stupid wrong choice, and that I just cost myself the game lol. Should have killed the IG86, because Vader alone could have killed both Lancers... Anyways, killed one lancer, the other killed Cad predictably, but not without some drama as he did need all 4 attacks to hit and failed the first, but then crit the second and Cad went bye-bye. He moved the Sergeant up as well, and next turn when Vader activated, I realized I had to kill that idiot or I had 0 chance, so I wasted an attack killing the stupid reserve. His IG then went 2x landing of course all 120pts of damage, and his 40hp lancer attacked Vader. I made the djem so save, and used the FP for rage, which would allow me to kill it, but of course rolled the dreaded 1, and then conceeded. Silly mistake cost me a chance to compete in this one, but I learned something that I should have already known lol. 3-2.

So with that loss, I ended up moving from second to a 4 way tie for 4th lol, which broke our system. The problem was, in our tie of 4 people at 9pts, I had lost to Jason, but beat Jonny, and jonny and jason didn't play, and none of us by chance had played the other guy. But since Head to head is listed, we had to use a transitive property to determine the final ranks. By SoS, Jonny was 4th, I was 5th, and Jason 6th, other guy 7th. But Jason beat me, so he's ahead of me, and I beat Jonny, so I'm ahead of him, causing the broken and wrong concept that Jason was ahead of Jonny, although he never played him, and SoS had Jonny higher. The other guy had lost his first 2 games, then had the bye, and won his last two, so while he had 9pts, his SoS was very low, so he was eliminated.

So Lou made the best decision possible, and put Jason in 4th place, and we all agreed to work on the tie breaker system to clean it up and explain exactly when head to head can be used, and when it cannot be used. As well as considering another new addition to the list before head to head, replacing the one that works like a duplicate of the other anyway. More on that later.

All in all, I lost both games by being new with a squad and making minor strategy mistakes, but all in all hit my goal of winning 3 games, and determining the value of Pal. It was great fun, and I went home with an Empire Mug which I had really wanted anyway in 5th place! Not bad for a guy who has played all of 4 tournaments since Gencon lol. Really liked Joruus and Pal, and really found the variability of the squad design, and of the crazy off the wall options that I could pull off to my liking. The key to Pal is creating flexibility. You do not want to start with Ozzel, and you want to ensure you have multiple swap out options so that you can really move matchups into your favor. Ozzel only when you need him, Joruus was a good choice because he's really good in some match ups, but has a nice cost for bringing in other figs against the really bad ones, and of course thrawn for Arica, which since I didn't face a Bastilla/MTB I didn't use, still a key option. Had I actually played a single game with this squad, or on my own map before this tournament, I'm pretty confident I would have been able to go 4-1 and at least make it a game against Tim's competitive squad. But as it was 3-2 was perfectly fine for me!

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:49 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

Maybe I'm reading your report wrong, but H2H is considered before SoS (OMW). So the idea of Jason coming in 4th by beating you beating Jonny is correct. SoS (OMW) is only considered if a hierarchy cannot be established from H2H; ie. the players in question not playing each other or playing enough of each other. So at the end of step 4 (H2H) the record would be Jason 4th Other Guy 4th, Bill 5th, Jonny 6th. Step 5 (SoS/OMW) would then only determine the placement of Other Guy which would put him 7th.

I agree though that MWP is quite redundant at the higher levels of the rankings, but is useful for the lower levels. It also has some factor in multiple round tournaments, but none that we would ever have to run.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:47 pm 

The_Celestial_Warrior wrote:
Maybe I'm reading your report wrong, but H2H is considered before SoS (OMW). So the idea of Jason coming in 4th by beating you beating Jonny is correct. SoS (OMW) is only considered if a hierarchy cannot be established from H2H; ie. the players in question not playing each other or playing enough of each other. So at the end of step 4 (H2H) the record would be Jason 4th Other Guy 4th, Bill 5th, Jonny 6th. Step 5 (SoS/OMW) would then only determine the placement of Other Guy which would put him 7th.

I agree though that MWP is quite redundant at the higher levels of the rankings, but is useful for the lower levels. It also has some factor in multiple round tournaments, but none that we would ever have to run.

Lol, that would be the 4th different legitimate interpretation of how it should work. Therein lies the problem. It doesn't work when more than 2-3 people are tied, or perhaps more properly, it works "unfairly". The problem is, Jonny never played Jason. And you cannot with any degree of acceptable reliability say that me beating Jonny means that Jason beat Jonny. Because that completely ignores that Jonny beat better competition than Jason, by having a higher SoS. We all lost to Tim, but Jonny beat 4-1 Matt, and Jason's best win was against me. H2H is going to have to be restricted to only situations where all of the tied players played each other and a clear winner can be seen (2 players, one beat the other, or 3 players, one beat both of the others, 4 players, 1 beat all 3). Any other situation and the step must be ignored. But more on that in a later thread.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:49 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

billiv15 wrote:
The_Celestial_Warrior wrote:

Lol, that would be the 4th different legitimate interpretation of how it should work. Therein lies the problem. It doesn't work when more than 2-3 people are tied, or perhaps more properly, it works "unfairly". The problem is, Jonny never played Jason. And you cannot with any degree of acceptable reliability say that me beating Jonny means that Jason beat Jonny. Because that completely ignores that Jonny beat better competition than Jason, by having a higher SoS. We all lost to Tim, but Jonny beat 4-1 Jason, and Jason's best win was against me. H2H is going to have to be restricted to only situations where all of the tied players played each other and a clear winner can be seen (2 players, one beat the other, or 3 players, one beat both of the others, 4 players, 1 beat all 3). Any other situation and the step must be ignored. But more on that in a later thread.

As the floor rules are currently worded, that is indeed correct. Fair is an entirely subjective word. If SoS were step 4 in Tiebreakers then Jonny would have had the edge, but is is 5th, directly under H2H.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:18 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

billiv15 wrote:

Round 4 against Mark with Rebel SS squad of Reikan, Luke Com, 2 ERCs, Han Rogue, Crix and filler. He did not have Dodonna, but even if he had, I still would have swapped for Ozzel as I had more activations. He won map, so it made it a tougher game than it would have playing on Smuggler's Base. I used the Joruus/Ugo trick from the Jonny game to get Cad way farther than he realized, and put 4 shots into an activated Crix with no cover, just outside of disruptive and he failed 2 of the saves killing him. I won the next init, and swapped Cad away. He was at a loss, losing his disruptive and cunning really hurt. It was methodical from there, setting up a lightning on Luke/Han and then finishing Han with Cad, then killing the rest of his squad. Got to 200pts with about 5 minutes left, since I couldn't safely gain gambit any round. 3-1, now in 2nd place as only Tim was left undefeated since I was paired up and beat the 3rd 3-0 that round.

I got quite the education in how an exceptional swap squad is run! My one consolation? It took Bill almost the entire hour to wipe me out!

Thanks to everyone that showed up. It was a great day and went very smoothly.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:04 pm 

philnlil wrote:

I got quite the education in how an exceptional swap squad is run! My one consolation? It took Bill almost the entire hour to wipe me out!

Thanks to everyone that showed up. It was a great day and went very smoothly.

I wasn't sure I was even going to get there until that final round lol.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:35 am 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

would of Sean winning round 5 made any difference? He was 2-2 with 5 points going into round 5 with a good SOS.
Just trying to figure out if I was really out of it by round 4.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:35 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

jonnyb815 wrote:
would of Sean winning round 5 made any difference? He was 2-2 with 5 points going into round 5 with a good SOS.
Just trying to figure out if I was really out of it by round 4.

That would have made no difference.

I'm going to start a new thread to discuss this.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:51 am 
General
General

billiv15 wrote:
... Finally, the squad choice was also based on the fact that Wisconsin Regional would have about 1/2 young kids, and I wanted to play something more fun than competitive.

4 of 19 isn't 1/2. ;)

True, we usually do have some more kids or teens, some were out of town this weekend, so the group was skewed more towards adults.

billiv15 wrote:
... Round 1 - sure enough, paired against a very nice 11 year old. ...

Hey, give the kid some credit. He's 6.

billiv15 wrote:
... other guy tied for 4th ...

11 year old Tristan.

All in all, it was a fun day; more write-up later. Thanks to those who traveled to join the fun. Looking forward to next year for some revenge. And the Fall event Bill hinted at.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:57 am 

Chargers wrote:
billiv15 wrote:
... Finally, the squad choice was also based on the fact that Wisconsin Regional would have about 1/2 young kids, and I wanted to play something more fun than competitive.

4 of 19 isn't 1/2. ;)

True, we usually do have some more kids or teens, some were out of town this weekend, so the group was skewed more towards adults.

billiv15 wrote:
... Round 1 - sure enough, paired against a very nice 11 year old. ...

Hey, give the kid some credit. He's 6.

billiv15 wrote:
... other guy tied for 4th ...

11 year old Tristan.

All in all, it was a fun day; more write-up later. Thanks to those who traveled to join the fun. Looking forward to next year for some revenge. And the Fall event Bill hinted at.

Duh, I knew that lol. I was confusing the age of Tristan with Robert...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:17 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

My squad:

--Double Lancer Evolution--
36 Darth Sidious
60 IG Lancer Droid x2
27 Lobot
20 General Whorm Loathsom
16 IG-86 Assassin Droid
12 Gha Nachkt
10 San Hill
8 Battle Droid Officer
7 R7 Astromech Droid
4 Mouse Droid x2

(200pts. 12 activations)

My Map: Rhen Var Citadel

This squad was a lot of fun to play with. I like having a disposable lancer. Obviously Jason K has shown over the last 2 years that this system is strong. I like having San and Whorm over Grievous so that your first strike isn't automatically suicide. You can actually out-activate, strike, and then decimate some more after init with the MTB. You obviously don't hit as hard all the way across the board, but you can soften up that target and take out the scrubs, and then finish off the big bad guys with lancer # 2 and the IG-86. I still have yet to zap someone with Sidious this year, but that option is there too!

I was paired vs Jake K in round one (forehead slap!). I rode up to Wisconsin with him, just to be paired in round one! Not to mention he's a great player and it's a tough squad match-up for me. Jake was playing Vong with Nom, Cad Bane, Yo,in Carr, and a ton of workers. He won map roll (huge), and this squad match-up just crawls. Even Bill admitted that our particular squads matched up is tough to finish in under and hour with 2 good players, and I don't think I've EVER heard him admit to that. Anyway - Jake brings in a Jawa Scavenger with Lobot and out-activates me since he steals San's CE. He gets a LOS on my unactivated Lancer but misses (PHEW!), and that might have made the difference. I was then able to get my treadwells (I brought in 2 plus a mouse droid with Lobot) close enough to kill his Jawa and a few workers to make it close in activations. It's slow going because I can't strafe virtually anywhere, and he advances slowly under cover. I am eventually able to get a deep strike to kill Lobot and his uggies. He is forced to bring Cad forward to kill my Lancer, but then I am able to kill Cad with my other Lancer right as time is up. I win, but only 2 points. Intense game - toughest all day.

I played Shawn next, who is new, but actually doing quite well. Super nice guy, playing Mandos with Jaina. I do a deep strike early and kill his Captain. I had to strafe once after the pawn, win init with the MTB, and needed to not roll a 1 or a 2 on both the regular attack and my strafe. I would have been in trouble had I rolled a 1 on init or either attack, but I didn't. He then took out my Lancer, but it was worth the trade (Yea disposable lancer!) Then I had to just wear him down carefully. He finally had just Jaina at the end, and I still had sidious, 1 lancer and my IG-86. I stupidly put my IG in Jaina's range and she killed him in one turn from 12 away. So I had to strafe a bunch of times with the lancer until he failed enough saves. Happened with about 5 minutes to spare. 2-0, 5pts

Next up good old Jonny B and his terror Wookiees. It was a bad match-up for Jonny. I simply had to stay 13 squares away from his wookiees and I was fine. Considering I have the reach of 48 to go there and back with a lancer it wasn't too much of a problem. He played fine, but there wasn't too much he could do. I wore down the wookiees and then finished off Bastilla. 3-0 8pts

Then we have Jason K from MI. He won the MI regional, and beat me in the swiss in Chicago, but I was able to beat him in the finals. Obviously a great player, but he was playing a brand new squad to him. (Bastilla, Boba BH, Mira, OR Senator, Lobot, etc) He won map roll (HUGE!) and I was stuck trying to hide 2 fat ass lancers in the jedi temple. Hate that wide open map! He advanced and was able to get a Mira/Senator shot on one lancer, thankfully missing the first one and leaving the Lancer alive. I killed Mira for her trouble and I was able to do a Lancer run that took out the bodyguard and most of his scrubs. I lost lancer #1 and had the other damaged. Had to be careful but I was able to take down Boba and then I wore down Bastilla pretty quick. It could have been a whole different came if he took out my first lancer before it did anything. 4-0, 11 pts.

It turns out I was the only undefeated now, but we played 1 more round since we had to play 5 rounds being that we had over 16 players. I am always one to advocate for this, even when it doesn't benefit me.

Bill was my opponent. I knew I was in the finals, and had I lost to him we would never have had the 4th place, What is Head to Head really, debacle. Bill joked that I could just let him win and we'd both make the finals, but that's just against my DNA. I knew he didn't really think I'd go for it anyway. I like playing too much. BUT - in the end it did serve a very good purpose, because now the system will be improved before GenCon. Yea for unforeseen side benefits! Bill's account of the game is a good one, I won't rehash. It was super stupid of me not to lock the door on Tarkin. I saw it, acknowledged it, then forgot about it. Well between that and a bad placement of Sidious where I was 7 squares away from LOS to the Lancer made a bad match-up for Bill win-able. But luckily I pulled it off since we both made errors. The reserves at the top was crazy. With San and an MTB you have to roll a 1 two times in a row to get it. That happened first init. It didn't matter as that piece did nothing. I SHOULD have brought Poggle and 5 drones, then Anakin would have been screwed - but I brought a BD Sergent which Bill promptly dispatched. Oh well. 5-0, 14 pts. 1st seed

Played Jason again in the finals, and I won map. He changed his tactic into an all out charge. He said something about needing to be lucky rather than good here (I think referring to needing the big Disintgration with Boba). But he did not get it, and through several Lancer strafes and IG-86 shots Boba went down. He actually had the override advantage at one point due to a lancer miss, making it a bit difficult, but I eventually mowed down the rest. I think I had 10 damage left on my last Lancer right before the end, and I did a suicide pawn to kill off Mira and the Senator to end it. On to the finals

In the finals I played Jake again. It was interesting playing him first and last. Of course we also played in the finals at Kokomo IN this year. He had the same Nom Bomb with Cad squad, and I had my similar but not the same Gunray's Gladiators with one lancer but 2 IG-86s. Anyway this match is gone over in the post below.

Well it was satisfying going 7-0 and winning my 5th Regional Championship. Donated the winnings straight back into the community (really no other option there, I've won 3 badges this year!) There were a lot of bad match-ups (favoring me). I felt like I had the rock to everyone's scissors most of the day. I was able to make dumb mistakes and still pull it off due to bad opponent roles and bad match-ups. I didn't have to face disruptive all day (Bastilla's is easier to "turn-off" with a lancer). No OR Seers, and I only faced one reposter/Djem-Soer (Bill swapped Joruus for Anakin Vader), but only one is much easier to get around. No Mando Death shots (always tough for the lancer) or republic death shots for that matter. No Yobuck/AniStap swap. Obviously Nom Bombs was the best Lancer counter all day, and after that it went downhill. So admittedly match-ups played a big role. I will say that this squad is a lot of fun to play.

Thanks to everyone. I enjoyed finally meeting a lot of you in person. A really genuinely good gaming group in WI, everyone just seemed happy to be playing the game.

Looking forward to GenCon

Last edited by TimmerB123 on Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:38 pm 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes getting paired up with Tim in round 1 was bad but worked out anyways as I got all 3 point wins after that and then made it to the finals only to play Tim again. Tim is forgeting that I won init and had a shot on the lancer with cad and missed 2 of the 4 to miss killing it then later in the round I had a shot on an unactivated lobot with my jawa scavanger and rolled a 1. I think that was the turning point and was the eventual loss. I tried a different stratagy in the finals and it didn't work out good at all. Plus he won map choice in the finals which was an advantage for him as well. All in all good event besides the hold up with all the debate as to who made 4th. Completly understandable in a strange situation but that was the only thing that didn't run smoothly.

One more time Tim, one more time.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:55 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

sthlrd2 wrote:
Yes getting paired up with Tim in round 1 was bad but worked out anyways as I got all 3 point wins after that and then made it to the finals only to play Tim again. Tim is forgeting that I won init and had a shot on the lancer with cad and missed 2 of the 4 to miss killing it then later in the round I had a shot on an unactivated lobot with my jawa scavanger and rolled a 1. I think that was the turning point and was the eventual loss. I tried a different stratagy in the finals and it didn't work out good at all. Plus he won map choice in the finals which was an advantage for him as well. All in all good event besides the hold up with all the debate as to who made 4th. Completly understandable in a strange situation but that was the only thing that didn't run smoothly.

One more time Tim, one more time.

(finished my post above to include all games)

Jake is right about the bad rolls he had, although I still think that first miss on the Lancer was the biggest. Cad needed 11s to hit the Lancer - so statistically speaking he SHOULD have only hit 2 out of 4. Rolling the 1 vs Lobot was bad luck indeed, but Lobot played virtually no role in the game as I also had an R7 and we played on Jake's map which doors play a much smaller role.

He tried the MTB agains me in the finals, knowing it would give me reserves every round. Ouch. I think he let the peanut gallery of Bill and Jonny sway him into it, but it was absolutley the wrong move. Even though reserves do count for points, it tipped the scales in my direction heavily. His one big advantage was out-activating me (Yammosk stole San's CE), but that was equaled in the first round, and then I shot well past him after that. (Poggle and drones!) I even forgot to keep adding reinforcements after the second round, but it didn't matter at that point. It allowed me to move my treadwells at the end and strafe safely. It also allowed me to do a very deep strike to kill Nom. I also killed his uggies and Lobot and a few workers before Lancer #1 died. Then it was just mop up. We did actually finish this one in under an hour which was shocking (considering it's just a tough match-up to finish in under an hour anyway). But strangely, me adding a bunch more characters made it go faster. Lancers can kill a lot fast after Nom is dead. I was entertained when I had enough to win with ending in gambit after all he had left was the Yammosk, but he challenged me to finish it all off with 2 minutes to go. I raced over there with my IG, and wore him down. I then realized it would be much more fun to blow it up with a drone to finish it off. It took 2 (damage reduction) but I did it just as time elapsed. We both ahd a good laugh about it.

Our first game was the real challenge. I consider that the real championship.

I sincerely hope we do have one more time of facing off in the finals this year, Jake. One more time indeed.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:34 pm 
Major Tierce
Major Tierce

Journey with Lou and Will from MI to enjoy your great hospitality in WI. Having just won a regional with Echanis, I didn't really have a back-up squad ready and didn't want to play them again so brought out Boba BH/Mira that I had been working on for awhile.

Boba BH
Mira
OR Senator
Bastilla
Lobot
Gha
Mouse
Ugg

Only 8 acts and reinforcements planned were r7/ugg and 5 mice for most games although I did use some other stuff during the day. I should preface this by saying I hate Lobot and if there were any other way to build it I would not use him (just a presonal preference)

rd 1

Against Owen (I think) Jaina/Mara/Ganner/Wedge/Leia on Rancor pit. I cancel his commander effects then pick off ganner and
do some damage to MAra. End up killing her off and start working on the others. He swings jaina around and kills Mira and boba puts damage on her.
She gets to drop 60 on Boba but then I base with Salacious crumb hit her then win init and finish her off. The rest is just mop
up for Bastilla and Boba.

Rd 2 against stephen with teched out storm commandos (Bith BSV/Twilek BSV/Nyna/etc. Bstilla was his undoing as without his uber commander effects his
guys were just regular. He still took out Mira and Bastilla and had some damage on Boba before I finished him off.

Rd 3 against Bill. He wrote it up quite nicely. He did set the trap by leaving Cad Bane out there and I did take the bait knowing it would cost me lobot and possibly the game
but there wasn't anything else I could really do. Luck was on my side as he failed every important save.

Rd 4 vs Tim. Tim wrote this up quite nicely as well and missing needing a 9 really hurt as the first lancer lived which would have changed the game quite a bit.

Rd 5 vs Jake. I was doing ok for awhile but then he slowly wore me down with the bombs. In the end he had a nearly dead Cad Bane and a few bombs left and that was all.

Semi-finals against Tim again. I knew that on his Map the only way I could win was to roll at least 1 big D (and maybe 2). That didn't happen (in fact I ddin't roll a single Disintigration the whole tourney)
and Tim lanced me quite good.

Took home 4th place which was better than I hoped for as I really hadn't played much with this squad.