logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:23 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

I really like Boba Merc. Intuition is a very powerful ability when used right, and the 30 dmg a pop is something that will cause your opponent to cringe, And im all for a figure that requires skill to play effectively so Boba Merc is the Boba for me :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:05 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Yea this new one is just as sick as BH; it's hidden but true. Melee won't be able to touch this guy and he can move 18 so good luck setting up a high damage shot. Intuition is nasty on this one....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:45 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

NickName wrote:
Intiution is a really interesting choice for a Boba.

It just doesn't work well with DOOMBOT, which means to get your points out of him you really won't be taking advantage of Tow that's Boba and Boba BH's bread and butter.

I think Towed Boba will generally outrange Intuition Boba but it's 71 vs 58 points so hopefully Boba M is packing something that helps even the odds.

So 32 squares of movement a round for a set up shot on Mas doesn't sound like a good idea to you?

This boba doesn't need to rely on R2 but that doesn't mean he can't use him. If anything this just frees up R2 to start towing around your beat.

The mechanics are different but this boba will still be very useful with Tow.

Tow can actually pull this boba out of LOS after he's anticipated a double cunning.

All it needs is some set up and the right positioning and you can get more power out of this boba with tow while keeping him safe. Tow can aleviate bobas lack of evade.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:53 am 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

I completely agree with everything fingers said and would add...

don't forget Garm. Boba Intuits out, doubles with cunning, then moves 3 back out of LOS.

and during those times when you have to move him and can't double, you still get a good attack at 30 damage, which is what most Hans and CS Aurra do. Granted that's not ideal for Boba, Merc, but as a last resort it's not bad.

She giveth, and she taketh away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:30 am 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

I think Garm is a good idea to use with boba. I don't know if it would be competative, however.

http://www.swshoebox.com/userSquad.cfm?user=sirstevee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:46 am 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

What everyone else said, Intuition is huge on Boba. On a Melee piece it's just so-so, allows you to run out of danger or close in. But on a ranged piece if used properly, and with the right support, it can be pretty strong.

I think I'll have more fun with Mercenary than I do with Bounty Hunter, and at the end of the day it's the fun bit that's important 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:16 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I think the combo of Intuition and Flight is what really puts Boba, Merc on top. Based by Exar or Darth Maul Quad? I'll fly away before you can attack, and then I have a good chance of hitting you for 60 before you activate.

Wash, Rinse, Repeat.

I think I like this Boba even better than Enforcer (whom I still want a copy of!).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:30 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

The only bad thing about him is his meager attack score, +10. You really need to use Cunning Attack to get him to hit anything, he needs a 13 to hit a Stormie in cover. In fact, he needs a 13 to hit anything besides mega-Stormies, a 9 with Cunning.

Those aren't terrible odds, but if you want to do 40 damage to an activated non-Unique you're in trouble.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:32 pm 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

Combine fire?

Hmm, interesting idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:59 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

Lord_Nihl wrote:
Combine fire?

Hmm, interesting idea.

It's never good when you spend 58 pts. on a character and have to worry about using another activation to combine fire with it just to hit a lowly stormie.

I can understand using combine fire for the spotter bonus, but having to use it just to hit a character with a moderately high defense is not good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:49 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

He has better odds of hitting non-activated non-uniques. He has a +14 attack against unactivated figs, and can take out 2!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:31 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

homer fett wrote:
Lord_Nihl wrote:
Combine fire?

Hmm, interesting idea.

It's never good when you spend 58 pts. on a character and have to worry about using another activation to combine fire with it just to hit a lowly stormie.

I can understand using combine fire for the spotter bonus, but having to use it just to hit a character with a moderately high defense is not good.

Actually its nearly impossible for a shooter to hit a stormie in cover now with all of those ce's without combining fire first. I don't think Boba Mercenary will need to combine fire to hit most characters anyways since he has bounty hunter and cunning attack, using him on a squad with good init control will let him have an attack bonus as high as boba bh's so I don't think boba merc will have to combine fire with a non-spotter except maybe a ce heavy stormie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:15 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

On a squad with Revan he's got some serious speed too. What was that about hiding from him? Yes, okay, an expensive combo, but hey, Darth Revan & Boba Fett together is very nearly a geeks dream :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:43 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
So 32 squares of movement a round for a set up shot on Mas doesn't sound like a good idea to you?

Sure... if only there were a way to pull it off. :)

If R2 and Boba M start adjacent, his Intuition is wasted. If he uses intuition, then he won't be taking advantage of a towed pre shot. If they start apart then it's because Boba hung back previously. There will be times where Intuition out, shoot, move back to R2, Tow away will be good, but generally once you engage you want to engage with everything.

Quote:
This boba doesn't need to rely on R2 but that doesn't mean he can't use him. If anything this just frees up R2 to start towing around your beat.
The mechanics are different but this boba will still be very useful with Tow.

Well, that was kinda my point. I don't think Tow will end up being all that useful at all for Boba M. However that doesn't mean Tow isn't generally useful or won't be useful for the rest of his squad. My comment was more about what a nice choice of ability for Boba M to have to prevent him from playing like Boba or Boba BH. Intuition is a good choice for Boba M specifically because it's not a no brainer to use with Tow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:58 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

It only improves options Nickname. You can still do everything you used to be able to do with Boba only there are more options.

I.e.

Round starts,
r2 tows boba up, overrides far door flanking opponents
Beat moves up to R2
activations activate
Boba Moves a further 12

Init
intuition 6
Boba Double cunnings
r2 tows beat in.

Problems for opponents.

Last edited by fingersandteeth on Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:28 am 

I like it personally.

You'll have to use R2 differntly now, which will add something to the game IMO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:08 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
It only improves options Nickname. You can still do everything you used to be able to do with Boba only there are more options.

The bread and butter of Boba BH Tow is...

Starting the round adjacent.
Tow 12 out of LOS.
Mobile 3, attack, mobile 3 back to adjacent.

THAT option will not be available.

(And I think it's a good thing. And I like this Boba. And R2 will still always be good. But R2/Boba M will not be a no brainer centerpiece of a squad in this case. IMHO.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:54 am 
General
General

fingersandteeth wrote:
Things this boba can do that the other can't

avoid a double/triple attack at the start of a round

I'd say this is pretty huge, especially if Revan sees play. Intuition is probably my favourite ability in the game, Intuition + Flight is just amazing.

Boba Merc + Thrawn could be pretty deadly, assuming you're not facing a MTB: Intuition out Boba, double Cunning something, then Thrawn swaps in a weenie. Make it a Stealth weenie for added fun. I see possibilities with this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:32 am 
Sith Infiltrator
Sith Infiltrator

he is an alternative to boba BH because boba BH is making people leave more then B&B and SS combined. atleast from my lgs and friends. so this boba is a much more welcome mini. he is very powerful and requires skill, unlike his counterpart BH who is the NOOB piece of the century. go wotc! woot-woot. i see they cant ban pieces because once one is banned, then it will create a chain reaction, so they make alternatives and counters. good for them, and lets hope people get some common sence to stop using boba BH.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:10 am 

why should people stop using him exactly? Because he's good? that won't happen.

The only reason I like this boba over the other one is that I can potentially do 60 dmg in an activation and you need that much an activation now a days in order to feel in control of the game.

He'll either pick off an R2 or put some dmg on a big fig. Either way its a good deal.

That dmg won't be wasted now that he does't have Twin, I hate twin.