logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Good Exar build for Regionals?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:41 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

I'm looking to run an Exar Kun savage squad at a Regionals I'll be going to soon, and was just wondering what people thought would be the optimal build. Now, I don't have any aspirations of doing well at Regionals since I'm a newer player (even though I did win a couple matches at my first Regional! :lol: ), so I just figured I'd have fun with some new pieces I've got. I want to make sure I've got at least 1 Rakghoul in there because I just got a bunch and want to try them out to see if I can get Rakghoul Disease off, lol.

So, any input would be great, thanks! :mrgreen:

Post subject: Re: Good Exar build for Regionals?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:03 am 
Sithlord's Sportmanship Winner 2010

Do some Rakghouls and a strong shooter lik Dash. I have ran similar at my lgs and tore through a swarm squad.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:38 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Dark Hellion Swoop Bikes are awesome for Exar, especially if you use Lobot to bring them in for free. Also, Sly Moore's Dominate is a trick that always works well with Exar Kun. Keep Exar in your backfield somewhere, then use Dominate on him. Hopefully you fail the save (if not, you can use a FP to re-roll it), then on your 'free' Dominate turn, Exar transfers in and Triples for 60. Then on Exar's turn, you either Triple again with Rage for 90, or you Triple for 60 and transfer back out. :)

Kind of a tricky maneuver sometimes, but lots of fun.

Rakghouls are hilariously fun with Exar too though. You'll get hosed by any Droid/Sep squads, but usually fun against lots of other stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:57 am 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Kintan Striders are fun with Exar too. Yeah they are large base but they do have 80 hp yeah only 13 def but if you can play it right they can stay live after a charge then you can get exar to transfer in to finish. so yeah a smart player will only give you uggies but since they have MR2 they can get around the uggie/brutes in a way to a point.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:34 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

84 Exar Kun
30 Ugnaught Demolitionist x10
27 Lobot
18 Lando, Dashing Scoundrel
16 R7 x2
15 Ugnaught Boss x1
10 Swoop Gang Bike

I don't particularly like Lando in this build, but a decent back-up shooter is a MUST.

With 10 Ugnaughts and 17 activations to start the game with, you can really screw with tempo control, even Dodonna builds. Your opponent cannot afford to wait while you position all your pieces for some key transfer plays. You can also use Lobot to bring in an MTB and more Ugs, then transfer into him before he becomes a problem. He can also shoot, which means he can combine fire with Lando in the early rounds.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:43 am 
Mandalore
Mandalore

LoboStele wrote:
Also, Sly Moore's Dominate is a trick that always works well with Exar Kun. Keep Exar in your backfield somewhere, then use Dominate on him. Hopefully you fail the save (if not, you can use a FP to re-roll it).

Last I knew, you were not able to use a Force Point to reroll a save that you had made, in order to get a second chance at failing it. Has this been changed?

Also, since you wanted Rakghouls how about something like:
84 Exar Kun
30 Rakghoul x2
27 Lobot
18 Lando, Dashing Scoundrel
12 Varactyl Wrangler x2
12 Ugnaught Demolitionist x4
9 Rodian Brute x3
8 R7
(200pts. 15 activations)

The real problem I have with Rakgoul builds with Exar is, as far as I can remember, there are two options for initiative control for the Sith: MTB and Zuckuss, Bounty Hunter. Obviously the MTB is much better at it, and far cheaper. I like Zuckuss in this kind of squad, but I dont think he really fits well enough, as far as points go, in 200.

So, unfortunately, if you want init control, you HAVE to bring in tht MTB with this, which takes up half of your reinforcements by itself. You could, if you wanted to, reowrk this to have the MTB in the main squad, so killing your ugos and brutes wont give your opponent an early lead, but doing that forces you to play him, which could be bad depending on what you face (especially with Han GH seeing an upswing in play cause of Ganner).

Good luck.

Wotc GTL: 52ish
Gamers GTL: 2 (dalsiandon, urbanjedi)

fingersandteeth wrote:
Also t4 for override and a cheeky flame.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:09 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

I think you can reroll any save, not just a failed save. Billiv15 was the one who designed the Exar/Sly build, and at the time I remember him saying that he had checked it out.

The MTB works great with Exar, because as long as Exar is alive you always have an exit strategy with Transfer Essence.
-near the end of the round, fly the swoop in to base a key piece. For your second activation, use the Dominate/Transfer trick to have Exar transfer into the Swoop and triple attack
-next activation, Exar triples with Rage or moves to LS Assault another key piece (don't forget about Sith Sorcery if you need it)
-Then auto-win init the next round, triple again and transfer out
Your opponent is left scratching his head and saying, "Wha? How?" It's a really fun squad to play, and the MTB is a big part of it

And almost everyone will tell you that the MTB should not be part of your main squad. Exar can probably get away with it though, since using the MTB as a Round 1 transfer target won't cost you very much (it's not like having to sac your KeldorBH in Round 1).

What I'd love to see is a Frince CE that gives Self-Destruct and Charging Assault to Savage figs...that would make Exar squads so much more fun and competitive.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:11 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Disturbed1 wrote:
LoboStele wrote:
Also, Sly Moore's Dominate is a trick that always works well with Exar Kun. Keep Exar in your backfield somewhere, then use Dominate on him. Hopefully you fail the save (if not, you can use a FP to re-roll it).

Last I knew, you were not able to use a Force Point to reroll a save that you had made, in order to get a second chance at failing it. Has this been changed?

Sure you can. Perhaps you're getting it confused with Yoda/Leia's CEs which allow you to re-roll FAILED saves. You can always spend a FP to re-roll the dice for a save or an attack, whether the first roll was a success or not. Hence why sometimes people re-roll attacks just hoping for that lucky crit.

Here's one I made a while back with Sly Moore and Rak's. I was always partial to the name of this squad as well, lol.

--Exar's Rak Band--
84 Exar Kun
28 Sly Moore
27 Lobot
32 Rakghoul x2
10 Dark Hellion Marauder on Swoop Bike
10 Caamasi Noble x2
9 Ugnaught Demolitionist x3

(200pts. 11 activations)

The Exar/Sly combo is the key part of the squad, with the Raks being more like gambit control or defense for Sly and Lobot.

One thing to remember, you'll probably lose against most Yobuck or Lancer builds with almost nothing you can do about it. Not entirely, but they are both tough matchups. Your best bet against the Lancer is to run your Swoop Bike it's full 24 squares across the board, basing the Lancer, and then transfer in Exar to triple on the Lancer for 60 and kill it. If it's a squad with Sidious and more than one lancer, you could be in trouble, but if you bring an extra swoop bike through Lobot's reinforcements, and keep your squad spread out far enough, you can probably make it work. As for Yobuck, bring in a bodyguard (maybe?) and force Yoda to go past Exar in order to get to anything else. Take down General Skywalker or whatever shooter support Yoda has first if you can manage it. Sly would be very helpful in that matchup if you can manage an extra set of attacks on something.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:45 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I like Boris's build the best - it presents some problems for Lancer / Yobuck opponents. But I'd likely choose the Twi'lek Black Sun Vigo over Lando, as the backup shooter.

Toydarian Soldiers make good cheap transfer fodder that can fly - a lot better than Mynocks.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:00 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

I wasnt confusing it with the Leia/ Yoda CE, but maybe it just never became an actual rule.

I remember hearing about it back right after RotS dropped. People were playing CS Mace + Sly Moore and R2AD for 100pts, and I coulda sworn I had heard the ruling has been changed, saying that using a force point was for re-rolling FAILED saves only, so you couldnt reroll if you made the save the first time.

Oh well. Good to know, though I wish I had known that sooner, as I JUST (3 days ago) played a 300pt Exar/ Rakghoul squad for our Epic tournament. I had considered Sly, but with the ruling as I thought it was, decided against it.

Ah well :P

Next time will be different lol.

fingersandteeth wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:16 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Disturbed1 wrote:
I remember hearing about it back right after RotS dropped. People were playing CS Mace + Sly Moore and R2AD for 100pts, and I coulda sworn I had heard the ruling has been changed, saying that using a force point was for re-rolling FAILED saves only, so you couldnt reroll if you made the save the first time.

I wasn't playing the game yet at that point, but I distinctly remember the conversations regarding Yoda CS' CE, and that was where people were getting confused, because that CE specifically says it only works for 'failed' saves. In any case, it can be a fun tactic, and I'll have to remember it next time we play Epic. I didn't think about that when we did Epic just 2 weeks ago. Doh!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:46 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Wow, tons of input, thanks guys! Lots to think about. :mrgreen:

I was also considering running Naga Sadow / Freedon Nadd / Sidogram / TBSVs. What do you think of that idea?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:55 pm 

I love running double sith sorcery.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:11 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

This is what I've come up with, but it's a very rough idea:

--Double Your Pleasure--
64 Naga Sadow
55 Freedon Nadd
36 Twi'lek Black Sun Vigo x2
13 Czerka Scientist
11 Darth Sidious Hologram
8 R7 Astromech Droid
6 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2
6 Mouse Droid x2

(199pts. 11 activations)

Naga and Nadd get off their Sith Sorcery, TBSVs get their GMA + Twin + Opp 20 goodness. Thoughts? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:39 am 
Mandalore
Mandalore

I like it, but youll probably have problems with anyone playing tempo or just with alot of activations. 11 is kinda low at 200, but since your playing Sith, really there arent alot of options, as your main beats generally cost an arm and a leg.

Also, make sure you give the Ugos their Force Points, too. Moving 8 to blow a door is always nice.

fingersandteeth wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:16 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Yep I love Ugos with Force Points, especially in a build with General Wedge, since I ran Ravaged Base at my last Regionals. You can run up to the door, blow it, and run back so you're not exposed. And the extra FPs for Evade and extra movement is always nice. Can even reroll attacks! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:35 pm 
Name Calling Internet Bully
Name Calling Internet Bully

Disturbed1 wrote:
I like it, but youll probably have problems with anyone playing tempo or just with alot of activations. 11 is kinda low at 200, but since your playing Sith, really there arent alot of options, as your main beats generally cost an arm and a leg.

Also, make sure you give the Ugos their Force Points, too. Moving 8 to blow a door is always nice.

Hence the double Sith Sorcery....

He can charge 12-14 with both pieces in the engagement round and likely activate quite a few. With just a little luck, that's more than enough to protect the Sith beats to hit big the next round in my experience. Heck, I used to do it with Exar Kun all the time by himself.

Transfer into a bike on Sly's turn, triple something, and then Sith Sorcery on Exar's own turn if there was anything left of the squad. It worked quite well. In one Gencon tournament game against a San Hill squad, I activated his Boba, Aurra and like 4 other pieces. Exar took 20 damage that round even though when I transferred he still had all of his damage pieces left to go :)

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 12:33 am 
General
General

I like to run Kel dor bounty hunters with Exar Kun.

Most people have a tendency to shy away because of the self destruct 40 but then you have some decent shooters to go with them not to mention the boom then appear trick. :lol:

Khanbob42You, sir, are amazing :D

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 11:28 am 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

I'm so gonna have to try this one day.