logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Boba Fett, Mercenary
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:56 am 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

So how about the new Boba Fett, Mercenary compared to Boba Fett, Bounty Hunter? I'm trying to decide if I really need this piece - I'm not a completist collector .

For a savings of 4 points the new one has:

10 less HP
1 less DEF
2 less ATT
2 less Bounty Hunter attack bonus

Loses twin
Loses evade and mobile
Loses flamethrower 20
Loses disintegration

Gains double
Gains cunning
Gains intuition

Does anyone see this as a good tradeoff? Sure, intuition makes it a lot easier to line up a double cunning attack, but doing so leaves you activated and in view of your target(s) without evade. So I think you'd be much better off to end the turn in hiding, then if you win initiative you move into view with intuition, take a single cunning shot for 30, and pop back into hiding. But by using Mobile in the first activation, Boba BH can do exactly the same thing for 40 damage plus a decent chance at Disintegration, except he can't move quite as far and he can't do quite the same door tricks.

Intuition obviously has significant other advantages too - it's a big speed boost, but this probably makes him faster than the rest of his squad, which can be dangerous. And it can be used defensively if you lose initiative and/or if you get based by a big melee threat. Maybe that's going to become more important with all the initiative control being thrown around in the new set.

But one of the things I really like about BH is that you don't really need to activate him right away - you can save him for later in the round, such as when he's used with San Hill etc. Boba Fett, Merc loses a lot of offensive capability if you hold him back and forego cunning. And sometimes it's very dangerous to activate early.

So I guess when I weigh it all out, for my personal play style I think I prefer BH. What am I missing? What squads and roles is Merc going to really shine in? Does the fact that he has some new tricks (where BH is old and familiar) make him more competitive in the short term? And will that edge fade as people learn how to combat him?

Other thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:25 am 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

I really like Boba Merc with Garm.

You Inuition out, get your Cunning Double Attack, and then move 3 spaces back into cover. Looks like it could work well. Other than that, yeah BH is the better figure (I just never liked him because he was so good).

She giveth, and she taketh away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:28 am 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

He can do more dmg than Boba BH and personally I like the new one a bit more than BH.

I think you'll be able to really put a potential beat down on your opponet from across the board.

Look at it this way, old Boba couldnt take out P Leia if he could see her; this on can.

That could be a potential Han Cannon counter right there.

I know that lots of players will try and keep Leia out of sight, but its tricky if you can draw a line to a fig and Boba can reach an adjacent square.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:39 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

He's definitely worth it.
Is he better than Boba, BH? No, it's about equal, but each has their niche so it's hard to compare the two.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:53 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Things this boba can do that the other can't

Move 18 squares a round.

Take out R2 and Mas in 1 turn.

Take out a BGds and R2/lobot in one turn

Take out R2PO in one turn (huge for the Vong)

avoid a double/triple attack at the start of a round

Move out of force repulse range at the start of the round.

There are others but anticipation with flight is unfathonably good.
Double accurate cunning with anticipation is fantastically good.

He plays differently to Boba

This boba is amazing. He is probably the biggest threat to support pieces in the game due to his extended movement

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:29 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

adder wrote:
He's definitely worth it.
Is he better than Boba, BH? No, it's about equal, but each has their niche so it's hard to compare the two.

I've got to agree with adder. They are about equal, but both do different things.

I could see me using either one depending on the type of squad I am building.

Of course, I try not to use Boba much. I like to play Faction Specific when possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:18 pm 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

I like to think that this Boba is, in some ways, better than Boba BH.

Accurate + Cunning means that he'll be able to shoot for 30/60 damage fairly often.

Intuition + Flight means he'll never be based.

No disintegration means he'll not cause as many groans, so it'll be an overall more "fun" piece.

Overall, I like this piece. BH's big disadvantage is that for 62 points he shot for only 40 damage per activation, which just isn't enough. The big D is really what needed to happen for his point cost to be worth it (In which case, BH is a bargain for that game!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:03 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

He is very worth it. Anticipation is a wonderful ability, and now we have it on someone beefier than Zuckuss. I can't wait to use him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:07 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

I don't know if he's worth not using Boba, BH. I think we have to wait and see. I understand the differences, and the strengths/weaknesses of both, but as of now, I can't decide which is better.

http://www.swshoebox.com/userSquad.cfm?user=sirstevee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:24 pm 
Name Calling Internet Bully
Name Calling Internet Bully

Merc is better for the top end competitive players. Intuition is a dominate ability that lesser players use poorly. Mobile and twin is relatively simple that any kid can run it.

Intuition with flight is just plain sick.

This one might actually kill his cost worth of minis in a game without rolling 20s!

And K3PO, Han RH, Boba Merc... Yikes.

Saving 4 points is an extra activation or a slight upgrade of some support figure.

He doesnt replace BH completely which is great (can you imagine the power creep threads if it was an obvious upgrade???)

For the top end players, squad build will dictate. San Hill might not want Merc. But Rebels, Vong, Imps, NR, Sith or any other squad based on init control will prefer Merc.

Being able to nail 60 dmg on a unique with intuition and accurate is powerful.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:34 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

Yeah, this Boba is yet another Rebel Boost. Garm, K3P0 or Princess Leia Senator combined with Intuition give him mobility for a possible 60 damage output.

I will probably use this Boba over BH simply because he isn't BH.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:56 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Bail Ohmar wrote:
Yeah, this Boba is yet another Rebel Boost. Garm, K3P0 or Princess Leia Senator combined with Intuition give him mobility for a possible 60 damage output.

I will probably use this Boba over BH simply because he isn't BH.

Perhaps someday we will meet at the SWM table and I will look forward to Disintegrating your non-BH Boba. Muahahahahahaha

Seriously though, even if I don't Disintegrate, my Boba shoots (and more often will hit at +18 than yours will at +14, and even then I will probably Evade) twice and then moves away with Mobile to where you can't see him. Yours can take one shoot that will probably get Evaded, or stand and shoot and hope I don't win init next round for another Twin.

No doubt about it, the Merc is inferior. Not by much, but enough to count. Perhaps if had had Evade.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:28 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Boris wrote:

Perhaps someday we will meet at the SWM table and I will look forward to Disintegrating your non-BH Boba. Muahahahahahaha

Seriously though, even if I don't Disintegrate, my Boba shoots (and more often will hit at +18 than yours will at +14, and even then I will probably Evade) twice and then moves away with Mobile to where you can't see him. Yours can take one shoot that will probably get Evaded, or stand and shoot and hope I don't win init next round for another Twin.

your forgetting intuition Boris. I will not be where I was after initiative. If i win Init then i'm stepping right into your grill and pumping you for 60 at +18.

You do 40 and move 6. I win init and step up again with intuition and boba dies in 2 rounds.

Certainly, evade makes Boba BH a better long range piece but the merc has more cunning. Putting the 2 pieces against each other boba merc will want to close the distance to take away evade. He can set up the big hits and move at a time where very few figs can. Really BH should only get to hit the Merc if the merc has already unloaded 60dmg.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

fingersandteeth wrote:
Boris wrote:
Bail Ohmar wrote:

your forgetting intuition Boris. I will not be where I was after initiative. If i win Init then i'm stepping right into your grill and pumping you for 60 at +18.

Your Boba will only have LOS to mine when mine is attacking yours. The rest of the time he will be safely tucked away behind a wall or near a Rodian Black Sun Vigo. :)

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:10 pm 
Jedi Council
Jedi Council

Boris wrote:
Your Boba will only have LOS to mine when mine is attacking yours. The rest of the time he will be safely tucked away behind a wall or near a Rodian Black Sun Vigo. :)

How long can BH hide from a piece that can move 18 squares with flight if he doesn't attack?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:19 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Boris wrote:
fingersandteeth wrote:
Boris wrote:
Bail Ohmar wrote:

Congrats Boris, you have spent 82 points for 40 damage a round.

I will stick with the Merc for 58 and do 60. :roll:

“Those with no tactical ability at all may never understand or accept it. Nor will such people understand or accept the tactician. To those without that ability, those who posses it are a mystery.” - Mitth’raw’nuruodo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:24 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Boris wrote:

not true.

Intuition means you will be caught.

BH can only move once a round, Merc has two movements. Intuition can be used offensively or defensively. Mobile attack is nice and can leave you covered after shooting but intuition offers a different kind of movement.

I can deny you LOS until i win init.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:56 pm 
Customizer Extrodinaire
Customizer Extrodinaire

I personally like Merc better, intuition is an awsome ability

"Genius is 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration."
-Thomas Edison

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:51 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Intiution is a really interesting choice for a Boba.

It just doesn't work well with DOOMBOT, which means to get your points out of him you really won't be taking advantage of Tow that's Boba and Boba BH's bread and butter.

I think Towed Boba will generally outrange Intuition Boba but it's 71 vs 58 points so hopefully Boba M is packing something that helps even the odds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:08 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Like positioning to take R2 out with one shot?