logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read


Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 

Author Message
Offline
 Post subject: Electronic Map System
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:21 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:20 pm
Posts: 37
Location: Sumner, WA
Hey everyone, just wanted to share a project I've been working on.

An electronic map system for everyones favorite game.

You can check it out at http://www.keithspage.com/swmem.

I'd like as much feedback and ideas as I can get.

Be sure to check out Episode 30 of Star Wars Miniverse, http://web.mac.com/markandjill/SW_Miniv ... de_30.html

I go over some of the basics of what it is all about.

Take a peek at the site and let me know what you think should be incorporated into the different maps available. I'll let you know if the hardware and software can make it possible.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: Electronic Map System
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:36 am 
Master of the Order
Master of the Order
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:46 pm
Posts: 7960
Location: West Chester, OH (near Cincinnati)
Woah, that is impressive. So you can program it for the lights to show up wherever you want them to? Pretty cool.

Would you be planning to bring this to GenCon or something? Would make for an awesome display, and great way to encourage new people to check out the game.

_________________
-Aaron
Mand'alor
"You either die a hero, or you live to see yourself become the villain."
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: Electronic Map System
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:21 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:10 pm
Posts: 2004
Location: Minnesota
That is AWESOME!

_________________
Image Image Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: Electronic Map System
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:14 pm 
Master of the Order
Master of the Order
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:00 pm
Posts: 6623
Location: Southern IL
:shock:

Wow. I want that. :mrgreen:

Way cool. Downloading the podcast to learn more...


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: Electronic Map System
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:40 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:20 pm
Posts: 37
Location: Sumner, WA
LoboStele wrote:
Woah, that is impressive. So you can program it for the lights to show up wherever you want them to? Pretty cool.

Would you be planning to bring this to GenCon or something? Would make for an awesome display, and great way to encourage new people to check out the game.



There is a base station that one of my map modules fit onto.
Each map would have it's own specific module that has the lights aligned with everything on the map. To play another map you have to swap out the old module and put in a new one with lights aligned to that specific map.

I did this so myself or someone else only has to make a one time investment in the base station that has the bulk of the electronics, Additional maps are really cost effective containing only the exact parts needed for a specific map.
Also a map module can be built around any new maps that come out down the road and then I can create new map software for it and then scenario specific versions of that software.

Another cool part about this is you can place ANY map on top of a map module and just leave the map unplugged so the lights don't shine through, and the base station will still run the turn buttons and turn lights on it's own. That way you will still get use out of it with any map you don't have a map module for.

If I make it to GenCon I will definitely bring at least two boards each with a different map so people can play them.

Actually if anyone in the Seattle-ish area wants to meet at the game store in Federal Way I'd be happy to bring it by and play some games.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: Electronic Map System
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:11 am 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:20 pm
Posts: 37
Location: Sumner, WA
Just posted a video of my demo of coruscant streets showing one of the ways it can be programmed.
http://www.keithspage.com/swmem/map-csst.html

Forgot to mention why you are trying to open the doors in this scenario but you can read about the scenario all the way at the bottom of this page:
http://www.keithspage.com/swmem/elements.html


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: Electronic Map System
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:59 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:54 am
Posts: 62
Location: New York, Albany
swinefeld wrote:
:shock:

Wow. I want that. :mrgreen:

Way cool. Downloading the podcast to learn more...


Pretty cool isn't it swinefeld? :) I love it! Thankfully I'm doing some electronic classes at school, so I'm getting parts together to make one. Can't wait till I have it all together. :D Keith and I were talking about it when we were working up a trade. It's a pretty sweet set-up.

@ Keith, One of the guys at school was talking about that chip your using in it. I showed your web page to my teacher the other day during class. With the Bacta Tank and R2-D2. :D He thought they were all cool. Speaking of Bacta Tanks. I still gotta send you my extra ones. I have three tanks together in a box, but only one card. I gotta find the other two and I'll get them into the mail. I got your email today to. I'll shoot ya one back tomorrow bro. :mrgreen:

_________________
:Boba:
John aka SquelchDog


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: Electronic Map System
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 8:12 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:20 pm
Posts: 37
Location: Sumner, WA
SquelchDog wrote:
swinefeld wrote:
:shock:

Wow. I want that. :mrgreen:

Way cool. Downloading the podcast to learn more...


Pretty cool isn't it swinefeld? :) I love it! Thankfully I'm doing some electronic classes at school, so I'm getting parts together to make one. Can't wait till I have it all together. :D Keith and I were talking about it when we were working up a trade. It's a pretty sweet set-up.

@ Keith, One of the guys at school was talking about that chip your using in it. I showed your web page to my teacher the other day during class. With the Bacta Tank and R2-D2. :D He thought they were all cool. Speaking of Bacta Tanks. I still gotta send you my extra ones. I have three tanks together in a box, but only one card. I gotta find the other two and I'll get them into the mail. I got your email today to. I'll shoot ya one back tomorrow bro. :mrgreen:


Yeah the Arduino is amazing... SOOOO much you can do with it. Dirt cheap and the default software you use to program it is basically C++.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: Electronic Map System
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 8:19 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:20 pm
Posts: 37
Location: Sumner, WA
To stay on topic I better post some pics:
Image
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: Electronic Map System
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:04 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:05 pm
Posts: 1276
Location: Yes, I am yet another Canadian. Keeping the game alive on life support in the GTA.
Man Keith, that looks fantastic. :mj:

_________________
ImageImage


Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: Electronic Map System
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 1:12 am 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:20 pm
Posts: 37
Location: Sumner, WA
R5Don4 wrote:
Man Keith, that looks fantastic. :mj:

Thanks R5!
If you haven't seen my light up stuff check out http://www.keithspage.com/swm

Here are a few more pics:

Image
Image
Image
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: Electronic Map System
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 4:37 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:54 am
Posts: 62
Location: New York, Albany
keith wrote:
SquelchDog wrote:
swinefeld wrote:
:shock:

Wow. I want that. :mrgreen:

Way cool. Downloading the podcast to learn more...


Pretty cool isn't it swinefeld? :) I love it! Thankfully I'm doing some electronic classes at school, so I'm getting parts together to make one. Can't wait till I have it all together. :D Keith and I were talking about it when we were working up a trade. It's a pretty sweet set-up.

@ Keith, One of the guys at school was talking about that chip your using in it. I showed your web page to my teacher the other day during class. With the Bacta Tank and R2-D2. :D He thought they were all cool. Speaking of Bacta Tanks. I still gotta send you my extra ones. I have three tanks together in a box, but only one card. I gotta find the other two and I'll get them into the mail. I got your email today to. I'll shoot ya one back tomorrow bro. :mrgreen:


Yeah the Arduino is amazing... SOOOO much you can do with it. Dirt cheap and the default software you use to program it is basically C++.


Can't wait to check out the chip. :) Have to bring it to school when I get it. Love the new pic's Keith! The one with Captain Rex looks Epic! :D

_________________
:Boba:
John aka SquelchDog


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: Electronic Map System
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 7:14 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:20 pm
Posts: 37
Location: Sumner, WA
Quote:
Can't wait to check out the chip. :) Have to bring it to school when I get it. Love the new pic's Keith! The one with Captain Rex looks Epic! :D


Yeah, have that guy in your class who uses it show you some basics to get you going.
After that, the reference is your friend http://arduino.cc/en/Reference/HomePage (or just shoot me a message)
I started out with the Arduino 2009 (the updated version is now sold as the Arduino Uno) and then worked up to the Arduino Mega 2560.

I would check out http://www.sparkfun.com These guys have always taken good care of me. Plus they have a bunch of parts you might like for your top secret project.

That Rex you see is the one you traded me, First game I played with him I set him down on a green crystal and his flames lit bright green :lol:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: Electronic Map System
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 7:53 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:54 am
Posts: 62
Location: New York, Albany
keith wrote:
Quote:
Can't wait to check out the chip. :) Have to bring it to school when I get it. Love the new pic's Keith! The one with Captain Rex looks Epic! :D


Yeah, have that guy in your class who uses it show you some basics to get you going.
After that, the reference is your friend http://arduino.cc/en/Reference/HomePage (or just shoot me a message)
I started out with the Arduino 2009 (the updated version is now sold as the Arduino Uno) and then worked up to the Arduino Mega 2560.

I would check out http://www.sparkfun.com These guys have always taken good care of me. Plus they have a bunch of parts you might like for your top secret project.

That Rex you see is the one you traded me, First game I played with him I set him down on a green crystal and his flames lit bright green :lol:


Sweet! :mrgreen: <---Cpt. Rex :lol:

Cool, I just made sure I saved those websites. I gotta go back through our BM's from Bloo and make sure I have all those too. Sounds great man. :D Thanks again Keith

_________________
:Boba:
John aka SquelchDog


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Jedi Knights style by Scott Stubblefield