logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Re: Maryland Regionals (4/30/11) - Towson, MD
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 10:36 am 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

Ok, for those of you interested in the number of squads of each faction that showed up, here they are (and please correct me anyone if I am wrong):

8 NR
4 Rebel
4 OR
3 Sith
2 Rep
2 Sep
2 Imp
2 Vong
2 Mando

The Championship match between Dan Stephens's (Echo) NR and Ian Gordon's (hey, that's me :) ) OR. Here's the squad construction for them both:

Dan's NR:
Han Solo, Galactic Hero - 50
Mara Jade, Jedi - 45
Ganner Rhysode - 29
Lobot - 27
Anakin Solo - 23
Gha Nackt - 12
General Dodonna - 9
Ugnaught Demolitionist - 3
Mouse Droid - 2
Lobot's Reinforcements: 10 Mouse Droids
Map: Commander's Office (Ruined Base)

Ian's OR:
Jedi Battlemaster x 2 - 54
Mira - 47
Bastila Shan, Jedi Master - 33
Jedi Seer - 27
Lobot - 27
R7 Astromech Droid - 8
Ugnaught Demolitionist - 3
Lobot's Reinforcements: Human Body Guard, Mouse Droid x 2, Ugnaught Demolitionist
Map: Theed Palace (Royal City Plaza)

Dan won the map roll and chose his map. I set my squad up outside. we spent the first two rounds positioning pieces. Mira took a shot in the second round which killed 4 mouse droids (hit her intended target and the 3 surrounding droids failed their Splash saves). Dan ended the 2nd round with Ganner Levitating Mara down the main hall and running her 12 squares to get into position into killing Mira.

Dan won initiative for the 3rd round and started off by Mara killing Mira with Lightsaber Assault. In hinesight, I should have kept Mira with the rest of my squad to possibly take advantage of the Human Bodyguard and the safety in numbers. I then took my squad down the hallway and had to deal with Dan's Mouse Droid wall for the next 2 rounds. Meanwhile Han was using his shots well with Anakin and Ganner using Force Push making it harder for me to close the distance.

I was able to get both JBMs and Bastila into Dan's back area, but I was missing a lot of attacks needing 8's to hit. Mara was able to make it back to kill my Seer who had been Pushed 3 times by Ganner and Anakin. Han finished off Bastila who failed her much needed Lightsaber Defense save. Mara used her last Force Point to Lightsaber Assault and kill one of my JBMs. The the game ended with Han killing my last JBM and having 30 HP left. Ganner was hurt to about half HP (can't remember exactly) and Anakin was killed earlier by a Lightsaber Assault from Bastila.

To be honest, Dan's utilization of the mouse droid wall was one thing I was afraid of playing in the tournament (which I played twice!!). Yes, the JBM can Leap over them, but they usually aren't attacking and it's one Force Point gone that could be used for defense or assaulting and then the rest of my squad is stuck having to deal with the wall. I think I would have had a much better chance if I had won map roll, but I was a good challenge playing on Dan's map.

Throughout the tournament, I went 4-1 with 11 points and won map rolls in the 5th round and 1st round of the playoffs. My match-ups were as follows:

1st vs. Rebel ERC - 2 point win
2nd vs. Dan's NR - lost
3rd vs. Mat (Spryguy) OR Revanchist/Atton Rand/Mira/Bastila - 3 point win
4th vs. Roy's (drkjedi35) NR GML - 3 point win
5th vs. Evan's NR (same exact base squad as Dan's, but without the 10 mouse droids) - 3 point win

1st playoff round vs. Greg's NR squad - 3 point win
Chamionship round vs. Dan's NR - lost

I had a great time at this Regional. I got to finally meet some more people of the community face-to-face. I was also very pleased that I got to get OR in the final round against the reigning National Champion. Who would have thought a year ago that OR would be making a resurrgence like this?

Sincerely,
Jester007

Punting jawas may be bad, but its just so FUN!!

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 5:45 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

I had a lot of fun at the tournament and I wish I was more socialable during the event and got to know everyone who came, but I often get caught up in the games themselves that I forget to talk to people about things outside of the game. I had especially wanted to get to know those of you who made the treck from so far away. I hope we all get to play again sometime in the near future, and I will try to go to as many regionals as I can in the hopes that we can all play again.

I wanted to give a special thanks to both Jusitn and Matt who really helped make this great event happen. Justin who organized the event and brought in 30 people to a single tournament. He put in a lot of work and it most definitely paid off. Matt deserves a special thanks as well for his tremendous help with prize support. He helped to ensure that everyone walked away with something (well, except for him as he had to leave early :( ). I wish he could have stayed longer as everyone really appreciated his coming up, but I understand the long drive and I especially appreciate the effort he put in to help us out. :)

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 7:00 pm 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If possible can someone post the other squads. The vong, imps, sith, mando, and sep squads. I'm interested in what all the squads were and how they placed. Where did the vong finish, where did the imps and sith finish etc...?

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 7:22 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

That would be in the Results thread here: viewtopic.php?f=205&t=11311

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 9:33 pm 

I just wanted to say that I and the whole VA crew had a great time in Towson this past weekend. Thanks goes to Justin first for running a great tournament. The store was a perfect fit for a tournament this size. No one felt cramped, the seating was comfortable, and the store staff was very helpful. Second thanks goes to Matt F for the great maps. I haven't had a chance to play on them yet, but I look forward to it. I'm glad that even though I came in 19th, I was still able to walk away with a great prize. I also enjoyed playing everyone I was paired with. I was very happy that Jim and I got to play each other. The only thing that would have made the day better is if I had been able to roll some saves in the last 2 games. Hanging out at Glory Days with the PA crew after the tournament was also a great time. I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. I hope that everyone else had as much fun as I did. I'm also hoping that some of you will be able to make it to the VA regional on May 28th. I pray that I can run a tournament half as much fun as the MD regional was!

Roy

AFM: drkjedi35
Bloomilk: swrogue57