logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Atlanta GA 2011 Regional info (and Results)!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:41 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Hey guys! We are happy to be hosting the third annual Star Wars Miniatures Regional here in Atlanta!

Date: May 28th
Time: 12 noon

289 South Main Street
Alpharetta, GA 30004

Prize Support: 1st place will be getting a 4-day GenCon badge and a ticket to the National Championship. Additional Prize Support is being arranged.

It's on like Yuuzhan Vong!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well, that was fun! Congratulations to Graham for a perfect win (7-0, 21 points), and thanks to both Ryn Weeks and Chuck for assistance with the judging and running the event. Also, a congrats to Nick Stearns to winning the Sportsmanship Award, for going 0-5 and always having a good attitude, even helping some of the younger players out with the harder aspects of their squads, as well as playing a very cool and fun squad. Without further ado, here are the squad lists! First, the top 4:

1. Graham Bingham
Squad Name: Nute's Moot
Map Choice: Peachtree Station (aka Commander's Office. It's an Atlanta thing. ;) )

IG Lancer
Darth Sidious
Whorm Loathsome
Lobot
IG-86 Assassin Droid x2
Gha Nachkt
BDO
San Hill
R7
Mouse Droid x9

2. Ricky Heck
Squad Name: Vader's Grunts
Map Choice: Bothan Spynet

Lord Vader
Thrawn
Lobot
Admiral Pellaeon
Admiral Ozzel
Mas Amedda
Imperial Dignitary
Rodian Brute x8
Ugnaught Demolitionist x2

3. Matt Spry
Squad Name: I LOVE RAY BECKER
Map Choice: Smuggler's Base

Yoda on Kybuck
General Skywalker
Dash Rendar, RS
Lobot
Captain Panaka
R2-D2 AD
Mas Amedda
Gran Raider
Ugnaught Demolitionist

4. David Weeks
Squad Name: Trouble with the Maples
Map Choice: Commander's Office

Kyle Katarn, Jedi Battlemaster
Mara Jade, Jedi
Ganner Rhysode
Dash Rendar, RS
Jagged Fel
General Dodonna
R7 Astromech Droid
Caamasi Noble
Ugnaught Demolitionist

The following aren't in order, because the actual results are on Chuck's laptop and I certainly don't remember everyone's order. Sorry!

Phillip Gladney
Squad Name: Return of the Jawas aka The Jawas Strike Back

Jawa Scavenger x3
Rodian Brute x2
Dash Rendar, RS
R2-D2, AD
Rodian Diplomat
GOWK
Czerka Scientist
Anakin on STAP
Spaarti Clone Trooper Demolitionist x2

Jonathan Clayton
Squad Name: Dean stole my money
Map Choice: Bothan Spynet

Yammosk
Nen Yim
Shedao Shai
YV Jedi Hunter x2
Lobot
Gha Nachkt
Ugnaught Demolitionist
Mouse Droid x9
Dash Rendar, RS

Ben Clayton
Squad Name: Luke's Hairy Speeder
Map Choice: Rancor Pen

Luke's Snowspeeder
Wedge's Snowspeeder
Han Solo in STA
Princess Leia
General Dodonna
General Rieekan
Juno Ecplise
R2-D2 with Extended Sensor
R7 Astromech
Caamasi Noble
Mouse Droid x4

Stephen Sloop
Squad Name: Cloaked Strike
Map Choice: Hall of Judgement

Lobot
Mando Quartermaster
Mando Captain
Mando Scout x4
Mando Gunsmith x2
Mando CIO
Ugnaught Demolitionist

Nathan Jarnagin
Squad Name: The Honey Badgers
Map Choice: Rhen Var Citadel

GOWK
Captain Rex
Dash Rendar, RS
Jedi Weapon Master x2
R2-D2 AD
Rodian Diplomat x2
Spaarti Clone Trooper Demolitionist
R7

Andy Bumpus
Squad Name: None
Map Choice: Theed Palace

Mira
Bastila Shan, Jedi Master
Jedi Battlemaster
OR Senator x2
Lobot
Salacious Crumb
Mouse Droid x2

Greg Sutton
Squad Name: Han Shot First

Han Solo, GH
Mara Jade, Jedi
Ganner Rhysode
Dash Rendar, Renegade Smuggler
Jagged Fel
General Dodonna
R7 x2
Ugnaught Demolitionist x4

Nick Stearns
Squad Name: Gloomy Doomies

Palpatine, Sith Lord
General Veers, Hologram
Moff Nyna Calixte
Admiral Ozzel
Shadow Stormtrooper x6
Mouse Droid x2
R7

Jordan Windham
Squad Name: Ain't that some s@#$?!

Han Solo, GH
Mara Jade, Jedi
Jaina Solo, Sword of the Jedi
R7
Ganner Rhysode
Ugnaught Demolitionist x4

David Gladney
Squad Name: Overseer

Jaster Mereel
Mando Scout x2
Mando CIO
Mando Captain
Mando Quartermaster
Mando Commando
Mando Gunsmith
Mouse Droid x4

Nick Ferguson
Squad Name: Dropping a load
Map Choice: Throne Room

General Grievous DAC
Gha Nachkt
T1 Series Bulk Loader x3
BDO
Battle Droid Lieutenant
Lobot
Geonosian Overseer
Mouse Droid

Stephanos Makropolus
Squad Name: Jaina and Mara taking names
Map Choice: Cloud City

Jaina Solo, Sword of the Jedi
Mara Jade, Jedi
Ganner Rhysode
Anakin Solo
Luke Skywalker, Force Spirit
General Dodonna
R7 x2
Ugnaught Demolitionist x6

"You can't per aspera ad astra unless there's some aspera in front of your astra. And that means sometimes the aspera gets you." - Donald X. Vaccarino

Last edited by Echo on Mon May 30, 2011 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Atlanta GA 2011 Regional info!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:26 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I'm happy to say that prize support will include (but certainly not limited to!) maps from both of the recent Armored Cartographers League Kits. :D

"You can't per aspera ad astra unless there's some aspera in front of your astra. And that means sometimes the aspera gets you." - Donald X. Vaccarino

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:58 am 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Echo can you pm your email

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 7:36 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Ba-bump.

Also, if anybody is planning on coming in from out of town and would like a place to stay for the night, I've got a pair of recliners, a pull-out couch, and plenty of floor space for people to crash on (I had 4 people stay overnight last year). I'll be honest, it's not the most comfortable of lodgings, but it's free! Just let me know ASAP.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 3:01 pm 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

Prize support will also include Legacy and Alliance and Empire boosters. Plus the store has a really large selection of singles at cut-rate prices you can go through!

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 1:19 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Well today is the day so let me first tell you what we have as far as player turnout;

David Weeks
Greg Sutton
Nicholas Stearns
Nathan Jarnagin
Matt Spry
Johnathon Clayton
Graham Bingham
Phillip Gladney
David Gladney
Ricky Heck
Stephanos Makropoulos
Jordan Windham
Nick Ferguson
Ben Clayton
Stephen Sloop
Andy Bumpus

Daniel Stephens (Echo) and Kathryn Weeks are judging today and I'm running the laptop. We're just into Round 2 and we've got some very interesting squads running. But let me tell you about what everyone was able to come up with for prize support (other than the default GenCon Badge and Championship Ticket);

LotF Boosters - 24
A&E Boosters - 12
Dark Times Boosters - 3
WotC Map Packs - 3 (1 of each)
Starship Battles Starter
Starship Battles Booster
Single - Boba Fett Bounty Hunter
Single - Darth Revan
Single - Darth Sidious (Clone Strike)
Single - R2-D2 Astromech
Armored Cartographers League Kit Maps - 20

So if you were thinking of coming today but decided not to... :lol:

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 8:57 pm 
Hand of the Sith
Hand of the Sith

How many players and who won?

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 9:12 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Lou wrote:
How many players and who won?

16 players, Graham Bingham won. Full writeup to come, probably tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 9:16 pm 
Hand of the Sith
Hand of the Sith

Did he use Yobuck?

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 9:22 pm 
Major Tierce
Major Tierce

nope the lancer :maul:

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 9:24 pm 
Hand of the Sith
Hand of the Sith

Really J

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 9:05 am 

Time to actually do a write-up after saying that I would for pretty much every tournament ever…

Whatever reputation I have is probably as “that guy who plays Yobuck all the time,” but I think some relatively subtle changes to the meta have made it less effective. I spent probably six weeks trying to figure out the best version, putting in everything from Bossk TH to Senate Commandos, and David still pulverized it on Vassal. So clearly it was time to steal a good squad from someone else. Tim’s single-lancer squad really impressed me at Gencon, and his newest iteration (Gunray’s Gladiators) seemed really strong. I didn’t mess with it much except to pull out Nute Gunray because I found myself playing San Hill almost 100% of the time and just killing him with the MTB if he became problematic. Plus Nute’s stupid CE was making it too hard for Gha and Sidious to get to the lancer, which sounds ridiculous but was still so annoying that I started using the MTB to kill him too. San and Nute probably didn’t appreciate this cold-blooded cost-benefit analysis.

I played on Ravaged Base because I know it much, much better than any other map, and because it has a ton of difficult terrain that the lancer can ignore. Plus I knew that it would be a popular map choice, and getting to force my opponents to set up outside because they won map roll is brutal.

The squad list (click for link):

--Nute's Moot--
36 Darth Sidious
30 IG Lancer Droid
27 Lobot
20 General Whorm Loathsom
32 IG-86 Assassin Droid x2
12 Gha Nachkt
10 San Hill
8 Battle Droid Officer
7 R7 Astromech Droid
18 Mouse Droid x9

Preferred Reinforcements:
(Lobot) 8 Muun Tactics Broker
(Lobot) 12 Mouse Droid x6

Round 1 was against Nick Stearns’ Veers hologram, shadow stormtrooper, and Nyna Calixte squad on Rancor Pit. Nick won the sportsmanship award for patiently showing several of our youngest players how to beat him and be good at minis in general, and he knew that this wouldn’t be pretty. Out of incredible paranoia, I flew circles around his Palpatine Sith Lord to make sure the lancer didn’t betray me, which seemed like a really good idea when one of my IG-86 droids rolled the one and turned later on. The other IG-86 executed him for his impudence, and that was pretty much it. Nick was fun to play against and didn’t complain at all about getting such an insanely bad matchup. Can’t lie, I was glad to get a straightforward W to start out.

Round 2 was against Greg, who is something like eleventy billion and zero against me in regional games, with the average length of said game being about 26 minutes and the average number of his dead pieces trending asymptotically to zero. He does lose from time to time in our casual games, but has some kind of Joe Montana gear that he kicks into for the big games. Well, maybe Dan Marino would be a better example since he never actually wins the whole thing (sorry, Greg).

Anyway, Greg was playing his Solo Charge variant from Maryland with Dash and Jagged instead of Anakin and Lobot, on Ravaged Base. I won map roll (dammit!), but then Greg took the outside (hooray!). That particular sequence of results will probably not happen again. First turn we positioned around the middle. Second turn, I thwarted his attempts to advance by locking doors (I brought in an extra R7 with Lobot for that reason), so he pretty much put his entire squad in a nice straight line. I obliged him by strafing everyone in his squad except for one R7, then doing it again. I felt pretty good with a 3-1 override advantage and all his ugnaughts dead, but he executed a clever Ganner levitation and used Han to snipe my BDO (whoops!) and Lobot. Evidently distraught by the death of his best friend, the lancer proceeded to roll a spectacular cavalcade of misses, including whiffing on Dash twice, then twice more for good measure. On the plus side, the cumulative strafes were eventually too much for Han, which made it possible for me to build a huge mouse droid phalanx and stick my IG-86s next to a Lobot bodyguard so that Mara Jade could only get one of them. Dash killed the lancer and MJ got an Iggy, but Sidious and the other IG were enough to take care of business. After a very one-sided beginning, Greg definitely turned it into a game by the end.

Third round I got matched down against Nick Ferguson playing an interesting squad with three T-21 bulk loaders, GGDAC, and a geonosian overseer. He set up on the inside of ravaged base and put his commanders in the cubbyholes, but a squad where everyone has heavy weapon is not a good match for lancer. It took a lot of strafes to get them all, but that was pretty much it.

Fourth round was against Ricky, who lives in Greg’s neighborhood and started playing five or six months ago. He picked up the game at lightning speed and has developed his own inimitable style, so the ATL Krew wasn’t surprised to see him standing at 3-0. He played a squad with Lord Vader and no other attackers, but eight rodian brutes and Pellaeon. He won map (Bothan Spynet) and brought in four nobles.

A short aside – when I tried Tim’s lancer squad out, I lost to Ricky playing the prototype version of this squad, which had Lobot and old Jabba. He brought in some ungodly number of mouse droids, put them in the jail cells so I couldn’t strafe them, and beat me handily. That game, more than anything, convinced me to pull Nute and shoot for pure activation edge.

After setup, he used Pellaeon to swap Lord Vader with Scourge of the Jedi – interesting! I brought in the MTB to counter Thrawn, outactivated him by several, pawned the lancer to one of the many doors on Spynet, and then flew through about half of his scrubs. I managed to miss two brutes, but killed several more and flew away to safety (and avoided Vader completely). That last bit was fortunate when I also rolled a one for initiative! Despite the dice fun, the game was pretty straightforward. Ozzel turns into a giant lead weight when you don’t outactivate, so Ricky threw him in front of my squad and set up a pile of swap fodder behind him. I managed to fly a double figure eight to kill Ozzel and his regular fodder first, then circle back for the nobles, which put him in a very difficult position. Vader came out and got shot by Iggy smalls (Iggies small?) until he died while Iggy large chased down the stragglers. Basically it was the opposite of what happened when he outactivated me the last time. Go metagame!

Despite being the only 4-0, Atlanta loves minis and we elected to play on for a fifth round. I got matched up against Matt Spry playing straight-up Skybuck on Smuggler’s Base. I won map but choose his for kicks (that turned out to be A GOOD IDEA) and ended up in the upper-right corner behind the crates. The game only lasted 27 minutes of clock time, but so much happened so fast that it felt as though we had gone the whole hour. I opted out of the MTB and brought in an R7 and a human bodyguard, and the crucial point of the game was then he struck deep with Yobuck to kill San Hill, swapped with Anakin, and then ran off to attack the IG-86 that had the bodyguard draped over him, instead of the one that didn’t. Pure brain fart on his part, and the result was dead Anakin. The next time Yobuck came down he didn’t make it back, and the lancer finished off everything else.

First round of the playoffs turned out to be the exact same game – literally. His map again, same sides, same reinforcements, same setup, let’s go! I badly botched some positioning and basically spent the first turn moving guys so he couldn’t just kill whatever he wanted while he set up in the middle, forgoing the first-round strafe. He towed and struck with Yobuck, killing some small stuff and putting damage on the lancer, I think (which the bodyguard took). I didn’t want to activate an IG-86 to attack only to see him swap in Dash and kill it, so I too-cleverly pawned it instead to put I think 30 on Yobuck. He swapped for a brute instead, leaving me with no chance to strafe his guys. Oops.

I killed the brute and moved up Lobot and San Hill ahead of everyone else to try and bait him into going after them. By then I definitely wanted San Hill dead! He actually took the bait, taking 60 damage on Yobuck from Iggy small on the opp attack to gallop Lobot (dead), and San… except he rolled a 1. My heart fell at that – instead of handing me a huge opportunity to kill Yobuck and put him in difficulty, all I could do was shoot him some more. My numbers don’t quite add up somewhere, because the net result was that instead of a having a good chance to kill him, 60 health Yobuck swapped out in favor of Anakin, who stood still and killed the IG-86. I attacked with the other, but he defense one attack, leaving him with 70 health. I strafed him with the lancer next, after all the scrubs in the army shot and missed him (including the bodyguard, now adjacent to Anakin). The lancer hit once and missed once, and Anakin made the Djem so save (with a reroll) and attack, which I bodyguarded. Now, I had landed adjacent to him, but with Anakin still at 50 health I did not want to risk the successful double-Djem and losing the lancer. In retrospect that was a pretty insane thing to be afraid of (the odds of hitting both, then him Djem’ing and hitting both back is .9%), but I was absolutely playing scared at this point. For the same reason, I used Sidious to cast lightning on Anakin instead of going for the kill with a pawned Iggy small. That was a truly stupid move, which became apparent when he won initiative and swapped in a gran raider.

Still, Anakin and Yobuck were pretty messed up, so Matt started advancing Dash and Panaka to try and finish me off. I still had enough activations (with San Hill, ironically) to wait him out, set up a mouse droid outside of the gambit room, override the door open, and pawn-strafe through his guys, killing Lobot and Doombot. I made another huge mistake counting squares, setting up a situation where Matt could have run down the lancer on a won initiative, but I lucked out and won it, letting me strafe Panaka and Dash again, killing Dash. He went ahead and finished off the lancer with Yobuck, then set up Panaka next to Anakin. Sidious had been steadily advancing (speed 6 is good!) and walked into the gambit room from the top right at I think full health. I set up the remaining full-health IG-86 behind and above so that anyone who wanted to do 60 damage to Sidious was taking 60 damage back.

But instead Matt out-clevered me by using Anakin to push Sidious back, which let Yobuck get to the IG-86 in… 16 squares. Dead Iggy small. Sidious got revenge by lightning-ing Anakin to death, then standing next to Panaka and waving threateningly. Matt swapped Yobuck for Mas, whom the BDO killed spectacularly by rolling a crit, in what was literally the only successful attack he made all day. More importantly, Gha Nachkt rolled a critical against Panaka, taking him down to 10 health. That let me run Whorm Loathsom into the room and take a no-cover shot that finished Panaka off. Uh-oh - it’s a game again!

Yobuck finished off the rest of my crap in the upper-right corner while Sidious focused his chakras and Whorm dispatched Matt’s solitary remaining ugnaught. At this point it was 60-health Yobuck against almost dead Whorm Loathsom and surprisingly hale Sidious holed up in the gambit room. Matt charged in with Yobuck to kill Whorm, retaking the points lead, but eating a lightning from Sidious in the process.

One thing that doesn’t come across from the write-up is how frantic the last two paragraphs were. All that happened in five or six minutes of game time! We both played at lightning speed, the lead was changing not just every turn but practically every round, and those two huge criticals let me save the necessary Force points on Sidious to have a mathematically way to win the game. Plus the other playoff game was over, so we had a dozen silent, deadly intent people watching everything we did. It was crazy.

With about one minute on the clock, Matt rolled initiative – an 18. But proving that it is often better to be lucky than good, I rolled a 20, and Sidious zapped Yobuck down to end the most exciting game I have played in a long time. Matt had me on the back foot and disadvantaged most of the whole game, pushing me into unforced errors and playing with relentless aggression and great panache. Only by getting strong – some might say miraculous – contributions from my backbenchers did I even have a chance of pulling off the win. Kudos for an amazing game!

Anyway, now that most everyone has stopped reading, the final game was against none other than Ricky, who defeated David Weeks in their semi by thwarting Mara Jade and Kyle Katarn with Pellaeon’s ysalamiri (!!) while Lord Vader whittled them down. I brought the same reinforcements as last time (MTB and mice) while he switched to rodian brutes. Drawing on our previous match, I actually choose his map instead of mine; he responded by packing the jail cells with brutes and leaving Vader Scourge in the squad box.

We were only a few activations apart, and I had to kill something with the MTB every round, so I knew I had to at least whittle his scrubs to keep parity. Ricky locked the door closest to the middle of the map and packed most of his squad in the corridor behind it, so I chased down the one piece I could hit (an ugnaught!) and actually landed adjacent to a brute and regular attacked it. Next round Ricky fed one scrub after another from that corridor to the right side of the center, which was where I had retreated the lancer and where the rest of my squad was. I killed them as long as I could, but eventually ran out of shooters and he swapped in Lord Vader. Now, I had erected a mouse droid wall across the hallway and around the lancer, and actually positioned my Iggy smalls pretty well, so he couldn’t get at any of them this turn. Instead Vader leaped through those guys and based San Hill, the MTB, and an R7 droid. My attackers had already gone except the lancer, and using it to put a mere 20 damage on Vader didn’t sound like that great of an idea, so I strafed most of the rest of his available scrubs.

Next round Vader swept my activation shenanigans guys, meaning that the situation abruptly went from me autowinning initiative and outactivating him to the other way around. I figured that it was better than losing attackers or Whorm, and that I could kill Ozzel at my leisure if I had to. Instead what happened is that the Iggy smalls rolled three hits and one crit, and Vader failed three of four dark armor saves, even with rerolls. So, uh, dead Vader.

Send me lucky generals!

With the loss of his only real attacker, and the lancer still on the table, that was pretty much it. It was kind of a bummer that the game ended so suddenly and so one-sided, especially when Ricky had a legitimate shot at winning the first serious tournament he entered. But, honestly, after the previous game against Matt, I was gonna take whatever win I could get.

So that’s the Atlanta 2011 regional, in a mere… twenty-six hundred words! Thanks to Daniel and Ryn for judging, Chuck for running the matchups even when we ignored the software and kept playing at the end, and everyone who drove down from Charlotte for making the trip. Serious props also to Kyle, Chuck’s son, who showed up to hang out, built a squad in ten minutes to give us even numbers so that we could avoid having a bye, and then almost played his way into the finals, finishing fifth! Everyone had a good time, got some awesome prize support, and laughed for another two hours in IHOP afterward. And that’s really what the Atlanta regional is all about.

Oh, and because he’ll give me #$(* if I don’t mention it – thanks, Daniel, for not playing.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 5:04 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

greentime wrote:
Oh, and because he’ll give me #$(* if I don’t mention it – thanks, Daniel, for not playing.

You're welcome. ;) :lol:

Squad lists are now up. The first 4 are the top 4, in order, but after that I don't have the order that everybody finished in, so it's in no order at all.

Post subject: Re: Atlanta GA 2011 Regional info (and Results)!
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 9:43 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Ok lets see if I can get down a readable play report here lol.

As Daniel referenced above I played straight up Skybuck as made popular by the ever solid Trevor Peyton.

Round 1 vs Ben Clayton's Snowspeeders on his map Rancor Pit.

Now the good news here is that at least this is a good map for Ypbuck to play on.

First round, I move the scrubs and get as many little pieces moved as I can letting him move as much as he can. I tow out Yobuck and make a run on some of his smaller pieces evening up activations a little bit, and then swapping in General Skywalker for the early extra damage. I momentum up to Luke's Snowspeeder putting 60 on it, then eating a cavaclade of shots from the speeders. I manage to make 2 Defense saves leaving Sky at 50.

2nd ROund, hoping to win initiative, i lose and he opts to use the Leia CE to shoot at Skywalker, I manage to defense the 30 Damage shot and take the other damage leaving Sky at 30HP, I double the speeder and only manage to hit one shot on it, I activate Panaka swapping in a Gran Raider. He dispatches him with ease and I make another Yobuck gallop killing Luke's Snowspeeder and a few more grunts, leaving him deep in enemy territory but with relatively low damage output. I move Dash onto R2 and next turn it was all Yobuck and Dash as they moved in to finish. By the end of round 4 the game was done, 1-0 3pts at this point.

2nd Round vs Nathan Jarnagin on Rhen Var

Now this game I'm playing against GOWK, 2 JWM's, Dash, Rex, and fodder. I bring in the R5 for this game to utilize the targeting ability. And might I say it comes up huge. with me outactivating him I let him set up everything for round 1, I elect to gallop and end movement on GOWK, JWM, and his R7, with the momentum they all take 30 Damage apiece and I swap in a brute, placing Yobuck back on R2.

Next round he uses his Spaarti Clone trooper to kill the swapped brute. I then move more fodder and he takes shots on r2 with Rex, hit hits one of 4 which I BG onto Panaka. He moves diplomats into the hall to make my route for a gallop harder. His weapon masters charge in also and I target the lead one with the R5. I then used Yobuck to gallop past the one I damaged earlier putting him down to 40, bypassing him to get to the 2nd one and dropped the 60 Damage on him with the momentum. He ripostes and AoO’s dropping Yobuck to 100. General Skywalker then uses Knight Speed to move in and kill his first weapon master, but misses one of the attacks leaving him at 10. At this point I swap Dash in and hit him with the momentum/opp combo to kill him, then take pot shots at the other one which they miss. Next round I win initiative and Yobuck kills the other Weapon master taking 20 more damage in the process dropping to 60. He steps in with Dash and hits 2 attacks putting Yobuck at 20. He then pushes with GOWK killing Yobuck and one of his nobles. I use the R5 this time to target GOWK and make his D a 18. and then move another random fodder piece. He shoots with Rex at Skywalker needing 12’s and hits 2, one of which is defensed. Now that the DD’s have gone it’s all Skywalker and friends. I tow in a brute who proceeds to hit GOWK with momentum, GOWK at 70. Skywalker Knight Speeds again and hits both attacks putting GOWK at 10. I set Dash up on R2 to what will be the finishing blows next round. I win init allowing him to go first, he attacks Skywalker with GOWK forgetting about Djem So but I miss the save and the reroll, he then chooses to hit the brute and kill it instead. By now Panaka is on Skywalker and able to Bodyguard any Rex shots that come in. R2 tows Rex back out who shoots Ani, but hits only 1 which is Defenced. I move Lobot into gambit and Mas up, leaving Dash to shoot at unactivated Ani, 1 hits which I just take. I target GOWK again and Ani kills GOWK and the other Noble leaving R2, Rex, and Dash vs everything else. R2 then tows in a gran which Panaka switches in for Dash, Dash kills Rex and then we roll init and I finish off Dash. 2-0 6pts

Round 3 vs David Weeks on my map Smuggler’s Base

This game went like any other typical game with him, I cannot manage to beat him in active competition, it’s closer than I give myself credit for. I gallop all of his Uggies round 1 leaving activations somewhat more even. Round 2 I put 60 on Kyle with Gen Sky, Finally I manage to get Kyle and block Mara from getting to Dash/Panaka. She gets the R5, and some grunts and then I kill her. Yobuck falls to Dash and Ganner both of them at 40 HP, and Dash is unable to do anything else. He wins now 2-1 6pts and in a position that I have to win 1 more to get in.

Round 4 is against Jon’s Vong on my map.

Now I will preface this by saying that this was a match I have been waiting for, for 2 years. In my time in Charlotte I have never been paired against him and was excited to get to play this game.

He steals Panaka’s CE with the Yammosk and then we get rolling. Round 1 I set up a gallop that enables me to take down Gha, 2 Mice, and put 20 on both of his Jedi Hunters, I then swap in a brute, which he promptly kills. Next round I get off another Gallop and put another 20 on a JH, kill a couple more mice, and put 20 on Sheedao Shai. He swaps him in and then runs all the way adjacent to General Skywalker for the opening initiative. He wins and twins Skywalker, he hits both 1 of which I bodyguard. I make the first Djem So save and miss the attack by 1, I move some grunts and he swaps Shai back for a JH. This is the one at 30 HP. I then hit him with a gran for 20, which he crabs and he is now at 20. Skywalker then doubles killing the JH and GMA’s away to where Dash can’t shoot. I move a Brute up to the top and swap in Dash. He then steps into the room with Dash and kills Panaka. I then move Dash 6 basing Shai and hitting him with Momentum/Oppo, killing him. I move a brute onto his JH in Gambit hitting the momentum shot and he fails the save dropping to 30 HP. I then end movement on him with Yobuck and finish him. It’s cleanup from there and eventually I get everything. 3-1 now with 9pts and in good position to make the top 4

Round 5, my esteemed colleague Graham has already alluded to in his post and yeah it wasn’t much of a game due to some brain farts on my part and he basically destroys me. 3-2 9pts, but high SoS so in good position.

Now I’m sitting waiting for the results, and Chuck gets through the whole field and I make top 4 as the last in.

Semi-Final report is as eloquent as Graham wrote it and I can do it no more justice, so you have my report in about 1300 words.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 9:45 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Hey Dan there was also a Seer in Andy's OR Squad.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 9:59 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Don't quote me on this but I think the finishing order was

Graham Bingham
Ricky Heck
David Weeks
Matt Spry
Jordan Windham
Greg Sutton
Andy Bumpus
Jon Clayton
David Gladney
Nathan Jarnigan
Stephen Sloop
Nick Ferguson
Stephanos Makropolus
Ben Clayton
Phillip Gladney
Nick Stearnes.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 10:35 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

spryguy1981 wrote:
Don't quote me on this but I think the finishing order was

Graham Bingham
Ricky Heck
David Weeks
Matt Spry
Jordan Windham
Greg Sutton
Andy Bumpus
Jon Clayton
David Gladney
Nathan Jarnigan
Stephen Sloop
Nick Ferguson
Stephanos Makropolus
Ben Clayton
Phillip Gladney
Nick Stearnes.

Yeah, that sounds about right. I will mention David finished above jonathan...lol. David is one of the youngest players so props to him...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:24 am 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

hah... yeah I finished in there somewhere. Maybe I'll do a write up later...but it's hardly as entertaining as a write up from a top 4 finisher. ;)

Great event. Congrats to Graham for both providing and winning the event; and Daniel for doing a good job at judging. Chuck once again was a wonderful organizer. Nate, once again, the after party gets more insane each year. Look forward to next year.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:49 am 
Name Calling Internet Bully
Name Calling Internet Bully

jhc36 wrote:
hah... yeah I finished in there somewhere. Maybe I'll do a write up later...but it's hardly as entertaining as a write up from a top 4 finisher. ;)

Great event. Congrats to Graham for both providing and winning the event; and Daniel for doing a good job at judging. Chuck once again was a wonderful organizer. Nate, once again, the after party gets more insane each year. Look forward to next year.

Do it anyway. Not only are the middle placers more interesting reads for some of us, but it's also a great help to you as a player. Just the act of writing it will give you personal reflection, point out some mistakes and so on, but other players will be able to comment on any they see as well.

The best way to become a better player has always been reflecting on what went wrong. I learn more from a loss than a win almost every time I play.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:47 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

greentime wrote:
So clearly it was time to steal a good squad from someone else. Tim’s single-lancer squad really impressed me at Gencon, and his newest iteration (Gunray’s Gladiators) seemed really strong. I didn’t mess with it much except to pull out Nute Gunray because I found myself playing San Hill almost 100% of the time and just killing him with the MTB if he became problematic. Plus Nute’s stupid CE was making it too hard for Gha and Sidious to get to the lancer, which sounds ridiculous but was still so annoying that I started using the MTB to kill him too. San and Nute probably didn’t appreciate this cold-blooded cost-benefit analysis.

Hey Congrats! And thanks for the credit. :) I'm glad you like the squad, Nute or not (Hilarious name by the way)

I have found Nute's CE to be irritating with Sidious and Gha at times, but the trade-off to be worth it.

I ran WITHOUT San in virtually all games I tended to find, so I was glad I didn't put him in the base of my squad - since Pawned Lancer works best when you can activate 2 in a phase AND you out-activate. I found I still out-activated most squads. Sometimes I had double the activations of someone with San/Dodanna/Ozzel, so I still didn't include him.

I'm always nervous to kill a 30 pt piece (or even a 10 pt piece) with my MTB.

I do have one more secret reason to play Nute though. I'll let you guess at it. There is one match-up in particular that this team will lose to most of the time (imo) without proper separatist reinforcements.

PS - Graham,

Let me know if you ever have anything as catastrophic using the lancer as rolling three "1"s over six attacks vs Captain Rex, thus failing to kill him . . . In the World Championships. Still my all-time "can't believe it actually happened" story. ;)