Post subject: A Random Collection of Coolness
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:05 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Featured customs
Spoiler: show
General Grievous, Deadly Duelist

Satele Shan

You should recognize this guy from the Star Wars: The Old Republic's Hope trailer. Took me a looooong time to do, but I'm very proud of him. Here's hoping that he (and many other SWTOR characters) come to SWM soon via the V-sets.

Shae Vizsla

Darth Malgus
He needs a V-set piece using Darth Malak, but I can use this guy! I put him in that pose so if I ever make Ven Zallow, they can be in a saberlock.

Destiny of the Force
The Revanchist
Prepainted:

Old Republic Senator
I went with Vurk instead of Mon Calamari to shake things up a bit.

Exar Kun, Dark Force Spirit
I mixed transparent paint and black paint to make a semi-translucent black, but it doesnt' show up very well in this picture.

Sith Inquisitor

Admiral Pellaeon

Lt. Page

Poggle the Lesser

Sora Bulq

Sora Bulq 2.0
A major improvement over my original attempt. I used a much better paint, added a shoto, and gave him wrist wrapping and robe coloring that accurately matched his comic-book depictions.

Battle Droid Lieutenant
To give him a unique sculpt, I combined the head of a Battle Droid Sniper and the body of a Rocket Battle Droid (minus the jetpack).

Jaster Mereel
Because I didn't feel like cutting up one of my gunslingers or Boba/Jango, I made the helmet out of epoxy. And for those of you who have never tried it, getting a character to hold a weapon (especially a rifle) in two hands ain't easy.

Mandalorian Tactician

Mandalorian Bounty Hunter
I made the cape out of construction epoxy (as opposed to greenstuff) and tried to give it a ragged look (to much success, IMO)

Mandalorian Counter-Intelligence Officer
This was originally designed as a Swamptrooper, another of my favorite customs. The concept is that he specializes in swampy terrain, and can go underwater when needed.

Niles Ferrier
Yes, he does have a cigarra. [thumbup]

Salacious Crumb
I made the little guy totally out of epoxy putty. The only mini I had to cut up was an R4 for the small base.
Yuuzhan Vong Hunter Droid
Yuuzhan Vong Hunter Droid

Supreme Overlord Shimrra
OK, he was one of my big projects. I based this custom off a picture on Wookieepedia and a couple of facts: He's bigger than any other vong, his head is huge and covered in tattoos/scars, his arms are skinny, and he wears a robe made from preserved flesh. I tried to have it make sense for him to both be wearing a robe and have Voduun Crab Armor 6.
Here's him prepainted:

Renegades & Rogues
Master Kavar
I added the two lightsabers (the one in his left hand is a shoto) and repainted his clothes. Relatively easy compared to some of my others, yet still accurate.

I'm so glad they made this mini in R&R, especially since I had this custom already made!

General Weir
I put him on a square base to make him a proper Storm Commando. It looks pretty good too, if you ask me.

Stormtrooper Advance Scout Version 1

Count Dooku, Separatist Leader
You have no idea how hard it is to sculpt a hand until you try. No idea.....

Yuuzhan Vong Slayer

Battle of Theed
Rune Haako

Royal Handmaidens

RPG customs
Hapan Royal GuardImage

Arkanian Soldier

Nautolan Sith Lord
A Sith Lord from Krayt's Empire. I'm tenatively calling him Darth Vindicus.

Mantellian Savrip
I can't stand how timid WotC made the Mantellian Savrip look, so I took it into my own hands to make him look more intimidating. Also, Mantellian Savrips have always been blue or green, never grey.

Human Soldier

Whiphid Soldier
A Whiphid soldier I made for my brother. He wanted to play a Whiphid in our Scum and Villainy campaign, but he didn't want a bow-and-arrow, so I made this for him. The character is heading towards being a brawler, so the pose fits him perfectly.

I made these customs for GM Chris' (of D20 Radio) GenCon RPG Module, The Black Nova Gambit.
Jedi Duelist

Jedi Knight with Double-bladed Lightsaber

Trooper

Independant Droid

Sniper

Bothan Tech

Medic

Duros Pilot

Zabrak Pilot

Human Pilot Version 1

Human Pilot Version 2

Human Pilot Version 3
Image[img]

SWM-based customs
Wookiee Scoundrel
Was anyone else not satisfied with the Wookiee Scoundrel's fur? I wasn't so I fixed this guy right up.

181st Imperial Pilot

501st Legion Stormtroopers
These 501st Stormtroopers look 200% better than WotC made them. I fixed my 6, and my brother's six, so in total I did a dozen of them.

Miscellaneous customs
Clone Commander Scot

Uggie Bin Laden
He gives Ugnaughts Self-Destruct 10, after all.

Muun Tactics Obama
May I present, Mr. President. [rolleyes]

Slade
Yeah, he's not a Star Wars character, but I made him out of a SWM, so he belongs here anyways. He was a pretty challenging custom because of the extensive epoxy use, and the difficulty of painting his mask. (and you have no idea how hard it is to carve a perfectly round head out of construction epoxy!)

Here are some of my older customs from about 3 years ago:

Green is my favorite color.
My 501st commander. I painted him to match the RotS 501st clone troopers. The Dark Times fig has a better pose, but not as good a paint job. At least now I can show this guy off in sanctioned play.

Yeah, I know you can see the yellow in the picture, but when you eyeball it its difficult to tell.

Last edited by LeftiesWillRule on Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:30 am, edited 10 times in total.

Post subject: Re: A Random Collection of Coolness
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:47 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Looking good.

I have a suggestion...

From the pics it looks like you use a lot of Gloss paints. Gloss should only be used on detail type areas or things like armour.

It is making your art look splotchy. Just a thought. I am no art major. Just a thoght

www.ocsws.com
Orange County Star Wars Society
California

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:15 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Very nice! I REALLY like the use of the GA Scout, Imperial Knight, and Mando helmet in the first one. Will have to keep that in mind for some of the V Set pieces I think.

And I second falcon's comments about the gloss paints. I would look into buying some matte clear coat, or buy satin/matte paints to start with, and then use a gloss clear coat wherever you want something to be shiny. The gloss tends to cause a lot of your details to be be lost. Also, consider watering down your paints a little bit sometimes. Might mean you have to do more coats in some areas, but again, it will help to keep your details from getting lost.

Overall, very good though. You definitely have the kit-bashing/molding aspect of it down really well!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:00 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

LoboStele wrote:
Very nice! I REALLY like the use of the GA Scout, Imperial Knight, and Mando helmet in the first one. Will have to keep that in mind for some of the V Set pieces I think.

And I second falcon's comments about the gloss paints. I would look into buying some matte clear coat, or buy satin/matte paints to start with, and then use a gloss clear coat wherever you want something to be shiny. The gloss tends to cause a lot of your details to be be lost. Also, consider watering down your paints a little bit sometimes. Might mean you have to do more coats in some areas, but again, it will help to keep your details from getting lost.

Overall, very good though. You definitely have the kit-bashing/molding aspect of it down really well!

That's actually a Separatist Commando helmet. :D

I'm currently stocked with "Game Color" brand paint. Its the kind that comes in bottles that I've seen at just about every LGS I've visited (and I've visited quite a few!). They're not meant to be glossy, but I think they look like that because of all the lighting I used. I actually would not reccommend it, because the colors (except for black and white) aren't very solid, and they don't cover up the previous color very well, they're also very watery, and don't behave in the manner I want for special effects (wear, filling in cracks, etc.). I got a Skull White paint by "Citadel Colour" because my LGS didn't have any regular white "Game Color" paint. I liked it a lot better because its very opaque and not glossy at all (see the 501st Legion Stormtroopers). I think in the future I will be using Citadel Colour instead (my LGS has a painting station with various colors of "Citadel Colour" and a lamp with a large magnifying glass).

Thanks for the compliments!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:05 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Yeah, Citadel is made by Games Workshop, and are some really nice paints. That's mostly what I've been buying lately.

I've also found that it is sometimes tough to get new layers of paint to cover correctly on the SWMs. I think the initial paint layer makes it not stick too well. Don't compensate by doing thick layers though. Do multiple thin layers. Once you get a thin layer of the new color on there, more layers will stick to it really easily. You'll end up with a thinner layer overall.

The closeness and brightness of the pictures is probably most of the issue though. I often find that minis look much better in person than they do in photos.

So again, nice job. :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:22 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Location: Aboard the Exocarrier Resalute, waiting to free all SWMer's from Tyrnany
LoboStele wrote:
Yeah, Citadel is made by Games Workshop, and are some really nice paints. That's mostly what I've been buying lately.
:)

Citadel has good quality, another one you might look into is Reaper's Master Series of paints. Those are the two brands I tend to use on my 40k stuff and on my DDM converts and SWM converts

Member of the SWMRAC
Member of the Completed till the End and Beyond Club

Come rate my squads on Bloomilk...http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.a ... dalsiandon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:33 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

LoboStele wrote:
The closeness and brightness of the pictures is probably most of the issue though. I often find that minis look much better in person than they do in photos.

So again, nice job. :)

True dat. I've on several occasions used photos to find paint errors that I can't see with my bare eyes, so that I can go back and correct them.

Thanks for the advice.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:38 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

update! I added some customs from Star Wars: The Old Republic! :Boba:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:25 am 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Very nice.

I especailly like the wookiee. I was actually just looking at that exact piece the other day during a game thinking how awesome it would look if it was holding a lightsaber, or *gasp* a double-bladed lightsaber.

Id probably be willing to pay for something like that if anyone wanted to make me a custom, lol.

Wotc GTL: 52ish
Gamers GTL: 2 (dalsiandon, urbanjedi)

fingersandteeth wrote:
Also t4 for override and a cheeky flame.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:06 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Disturbed1 wrote:
Very nice.

I especailly like the wookiee. I was actually just looking at that exact piece the other day during a game thinking how awesome it would look if it was holding a lightsaber, or *gasp* a double-bladed lightsaber.

Id probably be willing to pay for something like that if anyone wanted to make me a custom, lol.

Yeah, that Wookiee is outstanding. Malgus, Mandalore, Savrip, and Whipid are other faves.

Great work all around!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:53 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Updated with Poggle the Lesser. :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:12 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

What did you use to make Shae Vizla? Looks pretty spot on for her.

oh yeah and that republic wookiee, clearly 40 pieces a set wasn't lazy enough for them haha, you gave him what the doctor ordered for sure! I like that Chiss repaint too. I think a lot of pieces look better repainted. a few new colors making all the difference.

btw seeing Vizla and Malgus made me go watch those trailers again, Can't wait for SWTOR to come out!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:07 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Dimetrodon wrote:
What did you use to make Shae Vizla? Looks pretty spot on for her.

oh yeah and that republic wookiee, clearly 40 pieces a set wasn't lazy enough for them haha, you gave him what the doctor ordered for sure! I like that Chiss repaint too. I think a lot of pieces look better repainted. a few new colors making all the difference.

btw seeing Vizla and Malgus made me go watch those trailers again, Can't wait for SWTOR to come out!

Lets see...I used the Mandalorian Captain for the helmet, blaster and jetpack, Deena Shan for the arms, legs and pelvis, and the Zabrak fringer for the torso & pelvis. I got the cylinder on the back of the belt from the A&E snowtrooper. The shoulderpads, the antennae on one side of the helmet and the disc on the other side, the tube over the shoulder, some gadgets on the belt, the left kneepad, the little cylinders on the right arm, and the gauntlet keypad were made from epoxy. I trimmed the sides of the jetback and added a horizontal tubelike addition to make it more like the actual jetpack, and I cut Deena's kneepads with the Rebellion emblems off, and I used epoxy to give the armor's chest that solid line. All in all, I nitpicked the details to death. :maul:

Glad to hear my customs made you watch the trailers again. I love those trailers and even have them on my ipod!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:19 pm 
THE Customist
THE Customist

I keep coming back to your Swamp Trooper/CIO. That's one of the best designs/customs I've seen.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:36 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Clone Commander Scot and Uggie Bin Laden are so funny! :lol:

The YVH looks really cool.

There is no such thing as I cannot, either I will not, or I do not know how.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:38 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Admiral Pellaeon added. :scout:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:56 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

maaaaajor update. Added The Revanchist, Exar Kun DFS, Sith Inquisitor, Sora Bulq 2.0, Lt. Page, Niles Ferrier Supreme Overlord Shimrra, and another humorus custom, Obama Muun.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:50 am 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

The customs look AMAZING!! So just wondering if you could pass on some tips, or anyone for that matter, how did you make the cloak on The Revanchist, and whats the easyist way of doing so?
:Boba:

I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:57 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Bane77 wrote:
The customs look AMAZING!! So just wondering if you could pass on some tips, or anyone for that matter, how did you make the cloak on The Revanchist, and whats the easyist way of doing so?
:Boba:

I made it out of greenstuff epoxy, and there isn't really an easy way of doing it. First, I made the body of the cloak, and kind of poked his arms through it instead of trying to prepare armholes, then I added the sleeves (which were somewhat easy). Even with a latex glove on one hand, I couldn't get the robes cleanly smooth, so after it dried I sanded it down a bit.

Here's what Revan looked like before I painted him:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:50 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

thank you, I have had a terrible time at making cloaks, it keeps sticking to my hand and ripping, and sometimes its to thin, hopefully with more practice I will get it. Thank you!

I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe.