logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Prize Support
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:52 pm 
Jedi Battlemaster
Jedi Battlemaster

Is a good questions to think about.

Its been so long that I've forgotten what was in the other thread, but I have one offer right now. If 'sales' go well and I end up making enough to cover the cost of the AT-ATs, I'd like to be able to have one that I can donate to be given away as a prize for maybe the battle of hoth event, or some other event.

Thoughts?

Anyone have any other ideas, suggestions, offers, etc for prize support ?

Join the FOLLY! Online casual League, find out more here: FOLLY

Post subject: Re: Prize Support
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:09 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

I dont want to offer for them, but both Chris and matt donated some of their custom maps to our local con that we had last month, and those prizes went over well.

Im not suggesting they feel any inclination to donate on any level, especially in the amount of prize support it would take to run Gencon, but maybe something could be worked out with them. Special pricing if the community wants to put some funds together and buy some in mass from either or both of them (I suggest both).

At this point, I think your looking more towards what each individual community member be willing to donate towards prize support overall, as new sealed product is only going to become harder and harder to find.

If nothing else, and we wanted to give a monetary sort of prize, maybe a gift certificate to Miniature Market, Coolstuff, or one of the other gaming vendors.

Wotc GTL: 52ish
Gamers GTL: 2 (dalsiandon, urbanjedi)

fingersandteeth wrote:
Also t4 for override and a cheeky flame.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:11 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

I've always been a fan of the winner of the Championship getting to choose and assist in the design of 1 mini in a future V-Set.

Lol, for that matter, how about the winner of the Mystery Map getting to help desing his own map for JC??

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:23 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

The_Celestial_Warrior wrote:
I've always been a fan of the winner of the Championship getting to choose and assist in the design of 1 mini in a future V-Set.

Lol, for that matter, how about the winner of the Mystery Map getting to help desing his own map for JC??

I'm very much in favor of both of these suggestions (was just about to suggest the first one myself).

I also really like the idea of a gift certificate to one of the online vendors if physical prizes are hard to get.

V-set 2 will probably be released around the time of GenCon next year, right? A set of those cards seems like an obvious choice.

A set of all the recommended minis from V-set 2 would be a very cool prize, too. Even cooler would be if some customizers got together and actually made customs of all 60 pieces. Thy would be awesome, but I don't know if it would be feasible.

"You can't per aspera ad astra unless there's some aspera in front of your astra. And that means sometimes the aspera gets you." - Donald X. Vaccarino

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:48 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Echo wrote:
A set of all the recommended minis from V-set 2 would be a very cool prize, too. Even cooler would be if some customizers got together and actually made customs of all 60 pieces. Thy would be awesome, but I don't know if it would be feasible.

+1

Wotc GTL: 52ish
Gamers GTL: 2 (dalsiandon, urbanjedi)

fingersandteeth wrote:
Also t4 for override and a cheeky flame.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:25 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Well as you all know I'm creating league kits, so there will be plenty of maps and cardstock models to give away.

I will have plenty of stuff to give away at Gencon as well.

"Micro-managment Breeds Incompetence"

Being a Star Wars Miniatures Hall of Famer is a Responsibilty Not a Priveledge.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:34 am 
General
General

You can count on me to contribute some maps as well. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:12 pm 
Sithlord's Sportmanship Winner 2010
Sithlord's Sportmanship Winner 2010

Don't get me wrong, prize support is great and everyone loves it but I also think I am speaking for most of the community when I say that even if there is no prize support I be at gencon playing and helping any second I can.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:51 pm 
Moff Disra
Moff Disra

I'm planning on making some Hirst arts trophies (with LED's). :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:55 pm 
Ugnaught Master!
Ugnaught Master!

And we learned last night Lou will be around all weekend with lipgloss ready for any and all events!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:23 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

It might not hurt to ask some of the sponsors here to issue store credit, maybe get them to sponsor the events that way. We did that the first year we did the AT-AT game. A vendor at GenCon (I won't say which one because they are not a sponsor of this site) gave us $10 to match a gift certificate we bought worth $50. And that was just done on the fly.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:26 pm 
Ugnaught Master!
Ugnaught Master!

Dennis, that is an amazing idea.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:48 am 
Jedi Battlemaster
Jedi Battlemaster

Oh, I for sure have an AT-AT that I'll be donating for prize support. Maybe top prize for one of the mass battles? I don't really care.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:14 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I have a bunch of random Star Wars stuff I can gather up and donate. Nothing insanely cool - but stuff other Star Wars geeks might appreciate.

I also will say that it has often struck me as ironic that most of the prize support has been minis. It makes sense of course - but it's ironic that most of the winners already have most of the pieces. Well - I for one would love to get as many minis into the hands of kids that don't have access to as many. Especially now that they're not being made anymore. If there are actual minis to b given out - I'd much rather they go to help grow the game by giving them to enthusiastic young players, even if they didn't do as well in the tournament.

Just food for thought. I for one don't play for the prizes, and whatever I do win (as far as minis) will get handed out to worthy players still needing more figs.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:50 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

I have a 12" luke and yoda figure in a slightly beat up sealed box I might be willing to donate if there would be interest. I wont be able to attend, but could send it with Dean.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:38 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

http://www.jameshance.com/prints.html

It might be worth while to look into some of these prints. 11 x 17 for $10. Plus shipping and handling. He has a $7 flat rate for shipping. So you could 10 prints for $107. I am not sure who would have to front the money or all the details behind the scenes, but this could be an option.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:19 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

I know of a website that has MotF and DT cases for $75 each. I haven't released it publicly because I wanted to keep it reserved for those running Regionals and Gencon for prize support. So if anyone involved in rounding up prize support for GenCon is interested, PM me and I can send you a link.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:50 am 
Jedi Battlemaster
Jedi Battlemaster

Groovy, okay ladies, I'ma taking over this bizness.

If you want to help this is what I'm looking for:
-Locations to get cheap sealed product (cases preferably), online or local to you, get that info to me!
-If you are a customizer, and are interested in donating some work (that I would ask you to do) post here or PM me
-If you have suggestions of cool and not too expensive prize ideas, post em here or PM
-If you want to donate anything, PM me with a list of what, how many, and how to get it to GC

I hope that this year will be super sweet in terms of swag and we'll have lots to give away!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:09 pm 
Major Tierce
Major Tierce

ruhk,

shoot me a pm about customs stuff you would like for prize support and I will help out with that.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:22 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Speaking of prizes/customs....

I snagged most of a collection from a local guy who wanted out of the game. I'm looking to get at least my money back out of it, via trading or selling some of the more high-end stuff. But I've got a LOT of pieces overall. Probably 1,000+ easily. So, if there are particular things anyone is looking for to use for the Customs workshop, let me know. Or, for those working on custom prizes/trophies for any of the events, hit me up first before you go buying something off Miniature Market or whatever.

I still need to do a bit of cataloging to know exactly what I've got (just have Fringe left to go through), but it's something like $200 worth of R/VR alone, going by Strike-Zone Online's buy-back list. I will try to post a list in the next week or two here, but until then, feel free to post or shoot me a PM if you're looking for something particular.

Like, for instance, I seem to remember somebody asking about the Dark Woman to use for customizing...I think I have 3 of them.