logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Newbie
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:30 pm 
Unnamed Stormtrooper
Unnamed Stormtrooper

I am thinking about attending Gencon, but can't find much info on the site. From what I understand its from august 4-7. My questions are:
1) Once the badge is bought online, how does it get to me?
2)Do we need anything other then a badge to get in?
3) Will the SWM be spread out in booths and stands, or is there just 1 section for them?
4) Is it true they pretty much have everything SWM?
5) What hours does the event run during those four days?

If you take the time to anwser, thanks.

Post subject: Re: Newbie
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:54 pm 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

Paul75 wrote:
I am thinking about attending Gencon, but can't find much info on the site. From what I understand its from august 4-7. My questions are:
3) Will the SWM be spread out in booths and stands, or is there just 1 section for them?

1 You can choose to have your badge shipped USPS or Fed Ex when you buy it or you can choose to pick it up at the will call booth at the convention ( I dont suggest that option).
2 No but you need tickets to enter events which go on sale around April I think.
3 The SWM tournaments will all be held in the minis hall in one area I believe.
4 The dealer hall has a ton of SWM for purchase. Between that and the other players at the con you should be able to find whatever your looking for.
5 Events run all day and night at Gencon but the SWM events will probably be between 9am and 11pm

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:56 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

Paul75 wrote:

Depends on what you opted for at purchase. Will Call: At door, a pain usually. Mail: Sent to your home, drop the extra $ for this if you can.

Paul75 wrote:

You will need event tickets for each individual thing you want to participate in. You can order online, at the convention and each of the halls have booths where you can buy generics.

Paul75 wrote:

If you mean merchandise, it will all be in the dealers hall, spread out amongst various dealers. If you mean events, they will all (mostly) be in the same hall.

Paul75 wrote:

Again merchandise? Maybe, though it'll be pretty thin. Events: yes :D

Paul75 wrote:

I think Dean has things scheduled from 9am Thursday to 1 pm Sunday. Most events won't start later than 10pm.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:57 pm 
Name Calling Internet Bully
Name Calling Internet Bully

viewforum.php?f=189

Try the Gencon 2010 forum. Read through all of the threads. There is literally a ton of information on this site about Gencon for SWMs and what happens, etc. After you've done that, post any remaining questions you might have about it.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:59 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Paul75 wrote:

You can have it mailed to you if you live in the USA. Otherwise, you can pick it up at the Will Call booth (just bring photo ID).
Paul75 wrote:

The badge gets you into the Con. In order to take part in events (SWM events or other ones), you will need to buy event tickets (most SWM events are $10-$15...to cover the cost of space and table rentals). You can buy them at the same time that you register for your badge. If it seems overwhelming right now to find all of the events you want, I think you'll have an easier time if you wait a few weeks. At some point on this site we should have a listing of the various events, costs, and code #s.
Paul75 wrote:

If it's like it has been in the past 3 years that I've been there, all the SWM events will take place in the same place.
Paul75 wrote:

I'm not really sure what you mean here. Are you asking if there will be a broad spectrum of events to try, then I say Absolutely, for sure! There will be more than plenty of SWM to keep you busy, trust me!
Paul75 wrote:

Each day, the first events usually start at 9:00 am, and the last ones finish as late as 10:00 pm or even midnight.
Paul75 wrote:

You're welcome. :) I hope you can come. I totally love it; it's always one of the main highlights of my year. Playing non-stop SWM, seeing my SWM friends in person (we really do have the best community in gaming!), and getting almost no sleep because there's so much fun to be had...what could be better? Oh, I'd also suggest bringing some money to spend in the Dealer Hall, because there are lots of cool things to find there. I've also heard something else about Gencon, which I should warn you about: "There are two times to sleep at Gencon: before Gencon and after Gencon." ;)

EDIT: Bill's suggestion is a good one. He posted it while I was typing mine, but I'll just leave it up anway.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:01 pm 
Jedi Battlemaster
Jedi Battlemaster

Read This Guide!

annd:

1) you can have it mailed to you (i believe if you live in USA) or you can pick it up when you arrive. I do the latter.

2) No, only badge, it will get you access to gaming areas and vendor area. You need specific event tickets to play in events (in addition to badge), plus there are certain exclusive things that you can buy (like meeting with celebs)

3) The Games all happen in one area, it will be spelled out in the GenCon guide. The vendors that sell SWM will be spread out in the vendor hall.

4) I think we had 21 or more events last year, and should have about as many this year. If you're inquiring about vendors, then I don't know. We had sealed, constructed, scenario, dynamic duo, tile wars, team tournaments, Star ship battles, and a mystery map in terms of tournament variety.. so pretty much everything.

5) Generally we start around 8:30-9:00am and the latest match over the weekend was starting at 8:00pm.. think at worst we were there until 1 am ? can't remember.. matchs run all day and there is lots of overlap.

Join the FOLLY! Online casual League, find out more here: FOLLY

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:13 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Just figure on 6 hours of sleep by the time you get up on Thursday till you sleep Sunday

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:40 am 
Unnamed Stormtrooper
Unnamed Stormtrooper

ok thanks guys!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:01 pm 
Ugnaught Master!
Ugnaught Master!

Are You all sure Paul has enough information and opinions? ROFL