All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Re: Team Tournament Rules Changes
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:21 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

dnemiller wrote:
thereisnotry wrote:
Yeah, I thought the TT at Gencon 2010 went very smoothly. The rounds were quick and well-organized, with very little wait-time between rounds. Part of that had to do with Jason Bell (successfully) insisting on players getting their full teams and squads to him BEFORE the event's start-time. As I look at the TT in 2011, I can't think of anything that would need to be changed.

Oh, and hopefully Team Canada wins again! :emperor:

Actually what made it go faster is I took the name of one player on a team and entered it like a regualr tourney and then just had the computer pair them.

Yeah, or that! :lol:
Either way, I can't find any way to improve the TT for this year's upcoming Gencon.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:44 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Whatever happened to the limit on unique's? Like only 1 player per team gets to use Mas Ameda?

We were going to do that this year and for some reason we backed out of it. I like that rule, it means only 1 squad is getting mas or Dash RS which makes for some interesting choices when picking factions.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:23 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

I think the discussion went this way:

1. Official event descriptions/rules were sent to Gencon in Jan/Feb last year; those event descriptions were largely copied from the 2009 events, and the TT event description placed no restriction on the uniques that a team could use.
2. The idea is brought up (in March/April?) to restrict uniques to 1 per team (1 Dodonna, 1 Lobot, etc)
3. That idea was scrapped because we realized that we would need to stay true to the submitted event description (which was according to the 2009 rules).
4. The TT went very well at Gencon 2010, even without adopting the idea to restrict uniques.
5. This thread came up, and now we're discussing the option of restricting uniques again. This time, the discussion is early enough that we still have time to change the official event description that we send to Gencon.

So far, in this thread, there seem to be a number of opinions on both sides of the issue. I've heard/read no official or final statement about it yet, so I'll assume that it's still an open discussion and that we could still adopt the unique restriction change if we wanted to. (I personally don't like the restriction, but others might have good reasons for liking it.)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:01 am 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

I wouldn't say it's a number of on both sides. Looking back, only Lobostele and Weeks have openly supported single uniques across teams, Gunther went same faction, and everyone else(5 or 6 of us)seems to want it to remain as is.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:09 am 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

I have a question will R&R be able to be used in this event.
There are 10 factions outside of Lobot and Salacious Crumb I really dont see the point in the rule. Dash will not be in every squad. Sith,OR,Mando,Vong will be played a lot more than last year. Dod is not that big a deal in this event.

Last edited by jonnyb815 on Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:14 am 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

jonnyb815 wrote:
I have a question will R&R be able to be used in this event.

R&R is being released at Gencon. In the past, those sets have not been legal for constructed events.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:12 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I'm fine with it being as is. I do like the idea of 1 unique per team. Its not a huge change in how teams are built but i think its a fun little twist in squad design

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:08 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Yeah, it really makes no difference to me, personally. I like the idea of no duplicate Uniques, or at the very least, not being able to all use UH Lobot. But I'm not like "OMG, I won't play if we don't use this rule!!!!" :P

I also like the other ideas of faction pure, etc., but I'm game with whatever.

And R&R will not be legal for ANY events except for, obviously, the sealed events at GenCon. GenCon will be treated as a Pre-Release for R&R.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:33 pm 
Name Calling Internet Bully
Name Calling Internet Bully

The issue is two fold. 1. Would it make a significant difference? 2. Dean has already submitted the content.

1 - I don't even agree that it would make a positive change in the tournament. There are multiple issues here, the first of which is the potential confusion to a team attempting to throw themselves together last minute. But in terms of whether or not its a good rule that would improve the experience, outside of the old "something different just to change things up" I see little merit in it. In fact, I think all you do is create a greater number of match up auto-losses.

Here's an example.
Team 1 - Dodonna Rebel - mass activation/shooter squad
Mando Armor Shooter squad with Mando CIO/Tact with Cloaked
Republic Yoda on kybuck Momentum squad

Team 2 - Dodonna NR/Ganner squad
OR Bastilla jedi interference build
Imperial Swap with Ozzel

Team 1 wins the first roll, looks at the squads, and has an extremely easy choice. They pick their Dodonna to match up with the Imperial squad since they can outactivate the swap (think Gencon Finals 2010). That leaves their opponents to pick their Dodonna against the CIO (not so hot) or against Kybuck (uh oh). Instead they pick OR vs the Mandos, hopeing that Bastilla can hold off the Mandos (tough tough match). At best that second choice is 50-50 when the first choice was 90-10 for the other team. The third remaining then, is still a 70-30 in favor of Kybuck.

You can do the same with any number of squad matchups, and obviously player strength makes a difference and so on that it's not so deterministic. As for whether or not people should be limited on Lobot - I find that silly. The figure is hardly a power figure, and most people use him to bring in mass activations when they want it (and they almost always go with this regardless). So you take away the option to counter the opposing squad match up at least minimally from 2 players - but have you done anything good for the game? Not likely. But you can say, "We changed it up".

Let's now consider the rules we've played under in the past. Was Dodonna abuse prevalent? Nope, sure wasn't. Was UH lobot? Not that I remember. People use him, but not every squad does so. I intentionally chose 3 factions above to eliminate the Dodonna abuse from being the central issue - to show that limits like this can create worse match ups. You could argue the same without considering Dodonna if these were the 3 factions/squad choices chosen in the current rules obviously. But the point is, the single faction rule already covers this a great deal. I like that people can be the "Boba Team" if they want to. And more importantly, I've never seen a compelling reason to add additional restraints to the format, and risk added confusion and difficulty.

As to my number 2 - I'm pretty sure he submitted it already :)

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:09 pm 
The One True Sith Lord
The One True Sith Lord

I left the rules to really open in the description of the event and stated they would be determined at later date.

We are fine right now. I can change if necessary.

Collection: 934/934

SWM DCI Content Manager