logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:55 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

I like the use of Affinity, it gives a character wider scope in the game without making them Fringe.

I can see WOTC using it more, especially with the Legacy set, I can see Darth Krayt being Sith with Affinity: Empire.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:56 pm 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

all to the same faction Bill

Once again, for the millionth time, EU characters going to factions that don't need help doesn't make me happy at all.

Its like a millionaire winning the lottery, worthless.

Also, its too much of a good thing.

I wouldn't mind seeing 4 figs with Affinity in a set if they had them for different factions but all the figs go straight to Rebel

Also, none of the figs going to Rebel really actually fought for them in any sustained way. Its all individual stories that shared a common "your enemy is my enemy" type of flavor. Its not like Kota was on the front lines from start to finish like Luke or something. Oh and Shaak Ti was supposed to be dead twice, it was in a book and then *poof* she's alive so they can have a Jedi in the video game.

"Look over here at this hand little boy"

"Don't look at what my other hand is doing"

Its a cheap trick, they could have made another character like Kota to fill the role, but they tried to pull a rabbit out of their hat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:08 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

@ Nihl
Luke was not in the Rebels from start to finish. He was in what the last 5 years?
But you do have a point about them all being rebels, but it's the only faction it works for. But would it have made any difference if Gram was Rebel with Affinity New republic. They have done Mas so there only Anikin left to do he could be Republic or empire. But then again neither of these need anymore help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:09 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Lord_Nihl wrote:
all to the same faction Bill

Once again, for the millionth time, EU characters going to factions that don't need help doesn't make me happy at all.

I predict drought for the rebels over the next 2 sets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:45 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

From a Gaming/competetive standpoint I suppose its a huge benefit for rebels, as they definetly need more variety.

But its not just affinity, the paratus droid thing irritates me as well.

I guess part of me misses the good old days of pure factions.

Don't mind me I'm cranky, I gave 200 flu shots to 200 people that didn't want it. :x

"Micro-managment Breeds Incompetence"

Being a Star Wars Miniatures Hall of Famer is a Responsibilty Not a Priveledge.

Last edited by Jedicartographer on Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:54 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
I guess part of me misses the good old days of pure factions.

Your good old days are different than mine. Mine included Han Solo and Boba Fett on the same squad backed up by Bespin Guards and R2-D2. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:13 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Yeah, I don't have any "Tounement" memeories, all mine are comic book store, dining room games with friends who want Darth Vader Versus Luke Skywalker, Or Clones versus Droids. Definite "fasion over Function" squads.

Affinity for this set has certainly raised squad potential through the roof.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:38 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Overdone? Not so much (Revan comes to mind) they actually missed a few pieces this set. But it helps blend theme and competitive. I likes it!

Archives of the Gamers Jedi
is designed to be your official source for in-game rules questions!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:58 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

I like the affinity to this set, not too overdone, it'll be fun playing some republic jedi on rebel squads.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:11 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Yeah, I don't have any "Tounement" memeories, all mine are comic book store, dining room games with friends who want Darth Vader Versus Luke Skywalker, Or Clones versus Droids. Definite "fasion over Function" squads.

On your dining room table, that's just as feasible as it was during RS days. Only now Luke has a fighting chance. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:34 am 

@dreadtech,
from the story as far as the movies are concerned Luke was pretty much the rebellion.

Also, it doesn't matter if its the "only faction it works for" its too much. They didn't have to have Affinity, that's my point.

Wotc gets an idea and they just throw it onto several figs that really had very little support for even working with the Rebellion. Not being a part of it, working with it for a mission or something and then going back into hiding.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:57 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Lord_Nihl wrote:
@dreadtech,
from the story as far as the movies are concerned Luke was pretty much the rebellion.

Also, it doesn't matter if its the "only faction it works for" its too much. They didn't have to have Affinity, that's my point.

Wotc gets an idea and they just throw it onto several figs that really had very little support for even working with the Rebellion. Not being a part of it, working with it for a mission or something and then going back into hiding.

To be fair, we don't have access to the source material yet. While I would've preferred Luke, Yoda, and Ben be the only Rebel Force users, I am not too upset by these additions. They would seem to be work best in Republic anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:18 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Just more Rebel scum to be exterminated with extreme prejudice.

:twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:40 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Lord_Nihl wrote:
"From the story as far as the movies are concerned Luke was pretty much the rebellion."

I understand where you are coming from really i do, it's just that i disagree with you.
The films were in many ways about Luke, Yes i agree. But one of Luke's early conversations with C-3PO says
"You know about the rebellion against the Empire."

This to me shows that the Rebellion had been going on for some time enough time for it to reach remote worlds such as thous in Hutt space.

When Luke joined the rebels he was the last of the force users ( thou not a Jedi yet) But as i said that was in the last 5 years of that Rebellion. So that rebellion had been going on for 15 years before Luke joined, So even though we know little about that 15 year gap it's not inconcivable that some of the Jedi were involved but were killed before Luke joined.

Everyone has there own preferences as to who should and should not be in the rebel faction when regarding force users or Jedi. If it's your preference that no other Jedi other than Luke, Obi, Yoda & Leia were the only ones i don't have a problem with that, if that is your opinion, but you cannot use the argument that there were no others as you cannot possibly know that. The fact that there are some force users in this set in the rebel faction to me says there were. I would also like to point out that WOTC could not have done this without the approval from the highest source GL.

Last edited by dreadtech on Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:22 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:23 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

True...there's a reason why the time after Episode III is called the Jedi Purge. Is not like Palpatine became Emperor, and Anakin became Darth Vader, and all the remaining Jedi in the galaxy instantaneously self-imploded or something. It took time for Vader to hunt down those Jedi. I'm sure some of them probably helped Obi-Wan and Yoda stay hidden. Some of them may have protected key Rebel sympathizers like Mon Mothma or Bail Organa.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:45 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

dreadtech wrote:
Everyone has there own preferences as to who should and should not be in the rebel faction when regarding force users or Jedi. If it's your preference that no other Jedi other than Luke, Obi, Yoda & Leia were the only ones i don't have a problem with that, if that is your opinion, but you cannot use the argument that there were no others as you cannot possibly know that. The fact that there are some force users in this set in the rebel faction to me says there were. I would also like to point out that WOTC could not have done this without the approval from the highest source GL.

This is right on no matter what bias you carry. This is Lucas' story and if he says there were Jedi running around in the rebellion before Luke came into his own then that's the way it was. Wizards created Kota as rebel, Lucas obviously approves, what's the confusion here?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:48 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

I'm convinced that George Lucas has no direct involvment with this game, Everyone always says George Lucas did this and George Lucas did that. Gl didn't do anything except cash in his royalties.

Do you realistically think that GL has any kind of grasp on all of the EU characters?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:59 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Actually he does. Rob has said that George put the kibosh on a few figs that Rob wanted in previous sets. Is it a hands on thing? - No. But i have no doubt that things are being approved/denied by him, especially when it crosses media boundaries like this set.

As far as the OP, if you think this is bad, then wait until they try tackling the NJO and later characters. The sides are so mixed together that you cant just say this guy is NR. This guy is Imperial. The only other way to do it would be to make more factions. Do we really want more factions?

Between affinity and new factions, i will take affinity every time.

Check us out over at Pojo.com

"It appears the Bothans have rooked us again."
-Obi wan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:52 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

We were getting Nomi Sunrider in the COTF set but GL put a stop to it. Why i cannot tell you. All we know is that whatever it was has been resolved as we are finnally getting Nomi next year. Well unless GL changes he's mind again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:18 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

We know for a fact that Lucas steps in on lots of things, as he personally is overseeing the storyline for the Force Unleashed game, and the two upcoming TV series. He may not do all the work on them, but everything is run past him at some point.