logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Is mystery map happening this year
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:32 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

I am in the process of putting together my work load for the next year, and I need to know how or if Mystery map is going down this year. Although it's not my call, I taled to map maker about it a while back because I didn't want to leave him out of the loop this year.

So What I proposed was 4 rounds, 4 maps. 2 from adventurers atlas, and 2 from maps of mastery.

like I said it's not my call, but I'd really like to make some plans concrete soon, so I can work it into the schedule.

"Micro-managment Breeds Incompetence"

Being a Star Wars Miniatures Hall of Famer is a Responsibilty Not a Priveledge.

Post subject: Re: Is mystery map happening this year
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:41 pm 
Ugnaught Master!
Ugnaught Master!

Well, Matt, when Dean called me yesterday, he said the MM was the first thing on Friday morning, so my guess is yes :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:42 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

Hooray Mystery Map!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:12 pm 
General
General

No one else has approached me about it (other than Jim after Gen Con '09, and Matt last year), but I'm still interested. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:39 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I think it would be really awesome if we could all do one...

Especially if the map layouts were more varied than the Spynet/War Academy set. They're very solid, competitive play layouts but personally I think the ultimate test of any squad is that it performs well on a variety of maps.

It might be a challenge to represent several vastly different playing choices among the mystery maps, throwing a curveball at the players.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:10 pm 
Moff Disra
Moff Disra

armoredgear7 wrote:
It might be a challenge to represent several vastly different playing choices among the mystery maps, throwing a curveball at the players.

I think that would be nice. It would be good if all the mystery maps had a chance of becoming restricted maps.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:52 pm 
Name Calling Internet Bully

armoredgear7 wrote:
I think it would be really awesome if we could all do one...

Especially if the map layouts were more varied than the Spynet/War Academy set. They're very solid, competitive play layouts but personally I think the ultimate test of any squad is that it performs well on a variety of maps.

I'm gonna be honest and point out this is a terrible couple of ideas.

Variety of maps, means melee squads are screwed, just like last year. It means if you play MM as a competitive event, the meta is shrunk to about 25% of the Championship meta size. As for it being a "curveball" all I found from MM last year was that melee based squads get screwed on open maps, but aren't better than 50% on more closed off maps. Guess I knew that already, but that's all your idea of variety would do.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:23 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

billiv15 wrote:
I'm gonna be honest and point out this is a terrible couple of ideas.

Variety of maps, means melee squads are screwed, just like last year. It means if you play MM as a competitive event, the meta is shrunk to about 25% of the Championship meta size. As for it being a "curveball" all I found from MM last year was that melee based squads get screwed on open maps, but aren't better than 50% on more closed off maps. Guess I knew that already, but that's all your idea of variety would do.

And this is why I throw these ideas out there now, instead of when I get to designing the map layouts :)

Generally speaking, would you say that both Spynet HQ and War Academy from last year are more ranged-friendly?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:25 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Absolutely.

For instance, I played an Imp squad with Mith'rawn, IG Tarkin, Hondo, Grievous KW, and Vader SA. Not a terribly competitive squad, but still fairly decent. On the War Academy map, I did OK, but honestly I think it was because I had opponents who played poorly, and I was able to get pretty lucky with a lot of my rolls. On the Spynet HQ map, I got absolutely obliterated by a Mando Scout/Gunslinger squad, which just sat in the back and plinked away at me. We both could put pieces in gambit, but there was nothing I could do about it, because I couldn't get into a position where I could both attack his pieces in gambit, and keep mine somewhat safe. In addition, it was typically at least a 10-12 square move in order to close the distance between my pieces and his.

Granted, as I said, I wasn't playing the most competitive builds, but the layouts for both maps made it quite difficult for melee based squads to cross the field and get to the opponent, especially if the opposing squad was running something designed for sitting in the back and just pumping out damage.

Now, they are both great maps still, but it'd be tough to call them 'Restricted' quality. Pushing for the MM's to be Restricted quality maps would be great, but it will probably require that you guys coordinate with some of the community leaders ahead of time. Perhaps work with Dean to see who might be judging for that event, and not playing in it, so as to not give anyone unfair advantages. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:08 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

LoboStele wrote:
Now, they are both great maps still, but it'd be tough to call them 'Restricted' quality. Pushing for the MM's to be Restricted quality maps would be great, but it will probably require that you guys coordinate with some of the community leaders ahead of time. Perhaps work with Dean to see who might be judging for that event, and not playing in it, so as to not give anyone unfair advantages. ;)

I was thinking of something along these lines; the best maps always result from community feedback before they're finished.

Matt and I already agree that the mystery maps we're planning for this year will favor melee more. It's just a question of what other features they need and how we'll design layouts that make it happen. There are some thoughts on Bloomilk, cross-posted here by Celestial Warrior.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:56 pm 

armoredgear7 wrote:
LoboStele wrote:

I was thinking of something along these lines; the best maps always result from community feedback before they're finished.

Matt and I already agree that the mystery maps we're planning for this year will favor melee more. It's just a question of what other features they need and how we'll design layouts that make it happen. There are some thoughts on Bloomilk, cross-posted here by Celestial Warrior.

Sounds great to me. Sorry if I sounded a bit negative in the previous post, it was a long day :)

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:57 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

Well what about one map being a labrinth/maze style map with very short like 5-6 square shooting lanes. That would make for a melee friendly map :)