logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: First timer wth customs help plz.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:17 pm 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I have decided to try my hand at some customs but don't know what to get.
Are there certain kinds of paints that are better than others? What kind of glue? ( cause a friend made one for me once and his hands fell off withn a day). Are there certain spray sealers that should be used. I don't want somthing that's gonna fall apart. So any help to get me started would be great. I have some old mageknight minis that I was gonna look through for parts and what not. I wanted to try a Celeste morne and I think I can use the body of a human force adept but don't know what to use for a head since no one really looks like her yet. And who else besides bastilla has a yellow lightsaber if anyone?
Thanx

Post subject: Re: First timer wth customs help plz.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:19 pm 
One of the Sith on Malgus' Shuttle

I'm in the same boat, I want to start but don't know where. I used to repaint stuff but used cheap and crappy paint that wasn't very good, then again it was $1 a bottle. I know the best kind of paint is about $3.70 a tiny container, which really sucks...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:25 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Yellow lightsaber: 2 for 1 on an Exceptional Jedi Apprentice. You take the bottom one and you still have one in a good position for a lightsaber.

I am using crappy paints as well but some of them work out well.

You can get a self-healing cutting board and sometimes they come with a utility knife.

I am knew at it myself but I am learning as I go.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:29 pm 

Markedman247 wrote:
You can get a self-healing cutting board and sometimes they come with a utility knife.

I did buy that combo...that knife was pretty horrible. I had lot of trouble cutting stuff, lol =o(

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:35 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Mine is doing really well, so far.

Also, little thing that I discovered is that a pair of nail cutters, preferably toe nail cutters, help with some of the small stuff that might be left behind, especially the stuff left when you remove a weapon that was stuck to the back, side, or even chest of a character.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:16 pm 
Name Calling Internet Bully

Acrylic Paint, and you don't need to buy the "good" stuff. Go to a craft store (Michals is where I went), get their smallest tip paintbrush, and a regular craft paint brush (the second likely will come with your paint). Then go to the model section, and buy one set of acrylic glossy model paint - about $10 for 9 colors. Go to the paint section and buy a cheap multi color paint set of flat colors. Buy one small bottle of glossy clear sealer. All that should cost about $20-25. Then get yourself some superglue (model glue works well), and a good knife - I simply use a razor blade knife from Lowes.

That's what I use, and it works well.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:35 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Here is a list of things that I use
- exacto knife set. you can normaly get this at a place like menards for under $5 it should come with two handles and various blades.

- Various brushes. I bought a brush set from Walmart for less than $5 and it has about 5 brush in it. You will need a very fine tip which I think is a 0 or 00. I also picked up a good dry brush. Dry brushing is a technique where you use less paint and generally are only hitting the high spotd on the model. It is good for armor. With the brushes you could get by with only three. A very fine a fine and a small dry brush. Just ask your self if you are going to be painting any huges or not.

- Paint I use the expensive stuff for a couple reasons. It coats better and drys quicker.

- Precission drill - $5 at menards. This is an extremely small drill that looks about the size of your standard ink pen. You just spin it between you thumb and for fingure and you are off. This one came with like 5 or 6 bits. How small is it? Small enough to drill a figures hand an add a lightsaber.

- Straight pins and wire cutter/leatherman/sidecuts. When i do joint I drill a hole and add part of a straight pin that I have snipped off. This holds joints like wrist a bit better.

- Super glue. I use super glue control gel. It comes in a blue and gray bottle and you press the sides to make it come out. When you release the sides it draws the glue back in to reduce the mess.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:59 pm 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Thank you guys very much. I will try and post some pics whenever I get some done.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:31 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Michaels has 40% and 50% of one item every few months and sometimes even have 30% to 40% of your total if you get lucky. Check online or your local paper. I was able to get the 150 color pencil set for 50% in Nov. It was sweet since it costs like 140 dollars.
This is how I got all my supplies for Painting class during college.

edit
they have 40% off of one item till the 22nd
http://michaels.shoplocal.com/michaels/ ... ntryflash&

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:48 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

I forgot one thing you should get at least a little "green stuff". It is a two part epoxy modeling puddy. It is really easy to work with. It comes in a strip that is half blue and the other half yellow. cut off the ammount you think you need and then just kneed it together. till it turns green. Then you can shape it and use it how you want. It will sit at various rate depending on the amount of yellow or blue you use compared to the other.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:12 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I just went out today looking for a cutting board and a suitable knife, but the shop I was in wasn't that great for hobby stuff. I did, however, pick up a great container for my minis. I have been racking my brains trying to think of a hobby shop near me, and while reading this thread it just came to me. So thanks for that, I know where I am heading tomorrow after work! Annoying thing is I was in the same shopping complex today. Lol.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:28 pm 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

So went shopping today to pick stuff up. I got a set of acrylic paint (9 colors, yellow, gold, orange, red, blue, green, silver, black, and white). I got glue, brushes (a set of 4), and a knife. Got a great deal (thanx to Johnny and his sale info). All that for 16 bucks. I couldn't find any sealent there so I still need that. I'm assuming I can get that at any hobby store. The people at the store were trying to sell me on a base paint, telling me the paint won't stick if I don't put the base on first. I figured they were talking more for modeling cars and planes and what not. Have any of you needed to buy any base stuff? Any trouble with the paint not sticking to the mini? Is that somthing I should look into. The paint I got is testors brand acrilic paint. They had a larger set with 12 colors but it was mixed between flat and gloss paint so you really only got 6 different colors. Red, yellow, and orange were the colors missing in that set and those seemed like colors I would use so I went with the 9 gloss set.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:46 pm 

sthlrd2 wrote:
So went shopping today to pick stuff up. I got a set of acrylic paint (9 colors, yellow, gold, orange, red, blue, green, silver, black, and white). I got glue, brushes (a set of 4), and a knife. Got a great deal (thanx to Johnny and his sale info). All that for 16 bucks. I couldn't find any sealent there so I still need that. I'm assuming I can get that at any hobby store. The people at the store were trying to sell me on a base paint, telling me the paint won't stick if I don't put the base on first. I figured they were talking more for modeling cars and planes and what not. Have any of you needed to buy any base stuff? Any trouble with the paint not sticking to the mini? Is that somthing I should look into. The paint I got is testors brand acrilic paint. They had a larger set with 12 colors but it was mixed between flat and gloss paint so you really only got 6 different colors. Red, yellow, and orange were the colors missing in that set and those seemed like colors I would use so I went with the 9 gloss set.

Good choices. I've never had an issue with the paint sticking to the mini, so base isn't necessary. For some minis though, I do paint them all one color to start, then flesh out the details and occasionally there are small spots that miss, or the paint moved (perhaps - never really sure which). Testors is what I've been using, and I have the same gloss 9 set. I also bought a cheap ($3.50) 12 set of flats, but again - that's not necessary.

One suggestion. If/when you do any gluing, the glue will dry quick, but you still need to be careful painting over it too soon. I did that once and one of my extra fine paint brushes took on some glue - and it hasn't been the same since. So give them an hour or two at least before painting.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:21 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

As far as sealent you can get it a hardware store as well. It will be with the spray paint. On SWM I do not used primer. On other unpainted minis I do us a primer.