logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Would Anyone be interested in this at Gencon?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:28 pm 
The One True Sith Lord
The One True Sith Lord

Ok so I was thinking.

Would guys like to have a DOTF customizing workshop and also a DOTF Customizing Contest.

It would be on Friday and be a couple of hours or so. There would be a charge of like 8 bucks to pay for the table space.

But the winner of the custom contest would get a signed uncut sheet of DOTF.

Also during the time you would have time to get some customizing tips from some customiziers if I can get some lined up....

So is anyone interested?

Collection: 934/934

SWM DCI Content Manager

Post subject: Re: Would Anyone be interested in this at Gencon?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:37 pm 
One of the Sith on Malgus' Shuttle
One of the Sith on Malgus' Shuttle

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:11 pm 
Name Calling Internet Bully

My feeling is there would be a good number of people interested in doing this, particularly if your money covered supplies to make a certain mini - perhaps a RaR mini :)

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:13 pm 
The One True Sith Lord
The One True Sith Lord

billiv15 wrote:
My feeling is there would be a good number of people interested in doing this, particularly if your money covered supplies to make a certain mini - perhaps a RaR mini :)

you better give me some better info becuase the cost is just covering table rental..

SWM DCI Content Manager

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:28 pm 

Charge $15, and they will also leave with the mini they created. Mini parts can be provided. I'll get Jonny on acquisition, once we know who the customizers are. $7 a person should be more than enough to cover glue, some paint/brush and a mini or two per person. On second thought, maybe $7 isn't quite enough, but that would at least cover supplies. We can always allow people to bring their own parts, and charge an extra $5 to people who want the parts from us if we really need to.

Or maybe I'm just adding too much to it. I'll let you decide.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:30 am 
Major Tierce
Major Tierce

I would certainly rather pay more and leave with a mini. I have to think $7 would be enough per person (esp for supplies). Bob and I spent like $15 on Sat and that did a whole set of DOTF (he had a few colors of paint already and the brushes) but we bought a couple colors, exacto knife, glue, etc.

Depending on which mini/minis we want to do, there are tons of c/unc out there that are inexpensive that make nice customs.

We used a corellian pirate and did a minor repaint for Han. so maybe 50 cents?

Just throwing my thoughts out there.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:11 am 

Ok, let's go with $15, and we will make it happen. I'd be happy to help organize it, and make sure we have supplies. Any idea who the customizers would be that would run it?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:54 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I will gladly volunteer to help with this.

I've developed quite a few new painting techniques in the last 6 months or so with the new Malifaux game we've started playing locally. Those are all un-painted metal miniatures to start with, so I've had to learn all sorts of new tricks and painting techniques.

Honestly, we could probably find somewhere to buy brushes in bulk, and then the participants could keep the brushes. For paint, we'd probably only need 1-2 bottles of each color, and we can use the cheap stuff from Wal-Mart/Michaels. Grab a few cheap paint palettes. Would probably only need 1 palette per 2 people.

Depending on the piece you want to do, should be pretty simple to grab 20-30 of a non-Unique common for dirt cheap from one of our online retailers if necessary.

Could even break things into somewhat of a Beginner and an Advanced category, for people who want to learn more extensive painting tricks and such.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:12 am 
Mandalore
Mandalore

That sounds like a good idea. Suggestion though? Make it one flat rate for people who bring their own pieces, who then get to work on as many as they want in the alotted time. Poeple who dont bring their own pieces get a different flat rate per piece.

So if you wanted to spend a couple hours at the custom table (after bringing your own pieces), you could make several customs with whoever helping, and leave with more than one.

All in all, it sounds like a cool idea. Id suggest doing DotF and R&R though, for those who havent done their DotF yet.

Wotc GTL: 52ish
Gamers GTL: 2 (dalsiandon, urbanjedi)

fingersandteeth wrote:
Also t4 for override and a cheeky flame.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:19 am 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

LoboStele wrote:
I will gladly volunteer to help with this.

I've developed quite a few new painting techniques in the last 6 months or so with the new Malifaux game we've started playing locally. Those are all un-painted metal miniatures to start with, so I've had to learn all sorts of new tricks and painting techniques.

Honestly, we could probably find somewhere to buy brushes in bulk, and then the participants could keep the brushes. For paint, we'd probably only need 1-2 bottles of each color, and we can use the cheap stuff from Wal-Mart/Michaels. Grab a few cheap paint palettes. Would probably only need 1 palette per 2 people.

Depending on the piece you want to do, should be pretty simple to grab 20-30 of a non-Unique common for dirt cheap from one of our online retailers if necessary.

Could even break things into somewhat of a Beginner and an Advanced category, for people who want to learn more extensive painting tricks and such.

well there should be a 30% or 40% of all items in May there has been a ad in the paper the last few years. They should have 50% off of one item soon(Michaels). I the only thing we will really need is the paint and minis. I have like 50-100 brushes yes they are not all small. Theses are all the easier brushes though. so if we want to get the 2-3 dollar brushes bills price is about right. Then I should have a few palettes laying around.I have a few knifes around I think....
I dont paint anymore so I will see what i have kicking around the house( I digital paint now)
Aaron question do they have any good model paint sets with 6 or 8 colors like they do for painting. Most of the time I just buy by the color I was just wondering.

edit
I just looked and all my knifes(the whole three). Wow High School students take stuff amazing.......
I still have around 10-15 good small brushes I dont know if they are good for customs since I have never did a custom. I only have two paint palettes but they are really really cheap.

Last edited by jonnyb815 on Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:21 am 

Disturbed1 wrote:
That sounds like a good idea. Suggestion though? Make it one flat rate for people who bring their own pieces, who then get to work on as many as they want in the alotted time. Poeple who dont bring their own pieces get a different flat rate per piece.

So if you wanted to spend a couple hours at the custom table (after bringing your own pieces), you could make several customs with whoever helping, and leave with more than one.

All in all, it sounds like a cool idea. Id suggest doing DotF and R&R though, for those who havent done their DotF yet.

That's why I'm sticking with 15. You can bring your own stuff, and keep working as long as you want afterwards, using the paint and supplies we provide. I don't want to have two different charges, I was simply referring to asking those that want to do more, could pay an extra $5 or whatever at the site to pay for buying some additional minis to mod if they wanted, that we could provide, but as I thought about it, totally not worth the hassle.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:53 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Yeah, a single flat-rate to basically 'use the area' would probably be the easiest overall.

I have a nice exacto knife set that I could certainly bring. I don't remember how expensive those things are, but we certainly wouldn't need 1 for every single person. Unless you actually wanted to go that route and let the people take them home afterwards. That's something we'll have to check with the convention center though. Would that kind of thing be allowed in the con center? It is a knife afterall, could be used as a weapon between disgruntled Magic players, etc. :lol:

As for paints, I think Bill mentioned it one place elsewhere, but you can typically buy sets of like 8-10 colors in small pots for around $10 a piece. Then they are nice and individually pre-packaged. Could probably get by without any palettes if you were able to do that. I know when I use my Games Workshop paints, since they come in small pots like that already, I typically don't use my palette at all, unless I'm trying to mix some colors.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:32 pm 
Major Tierce
Major Tierce

DEfinately would need to check and make sure knives are allowed. Wouldn't want to get thrown out of the con for something stupid like that.

Would also think that a simple repaint or other easy swap heads type of thing would be best for the "premade" mini. Wouldn't want to start people off on a difficult one at the beginning.

Would think that for the $15 you would be able to use the area and supplies for the whole time period and take home what you made (whether it was 1 or 2 minis or a whole squad of them). I had never customed before this past Sat and it was pretty fun and not that difficult for the most part (although I didn't do any of the painting and we did lose Anakin's arm lol).

Would also think that if you had 3 or 4 custom people that you could offer the choice to make 3 or 4 dif minis that were sort of "pre-made" with all the parts and pieces there to do it with each person sort of leading the way on making each of the different minis.

Def sounds cool, and Bill if you end up organizing this and are looking for minis to use let me know as I have quite a few comm/unc that I can donate so taht we don't have to go and buy them from some retailer in order to make this work.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:55 pm 
The One True Sith Lord
The One True Sith Lord

ok at this point I am thinking of finding someone to be in charge of this.

What is going to happen is people can sign up for the event and then will donate to the person running this event so he can bring the tools to work with.

This event is probably going to start sometime on Thursday as the Jedi Challenge is winding down.

So I need someone to volunteer who knows something about customizing. I also need someone that when they volunteer this means I will be expecting you to have it handled.

Not like last year when a couple of folks from Indy told me with a week to go they would not be running the battle of Hoth event.

SWM DCI Content Manager

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:00 pm 

I'd be happy to help with the organizing parts, the getting supplies and so on, but I'm not going to run it. I'd hope that one of our better customizers or a couple of them really, would step up and volunteer to teach others. I'm happy to teach how to repaint a mini, but let's be honest here, my wife paints mine, and the ones I've done aren't all that great :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:53 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I'm also more than happy to help, and if it comes to it, and none of our master customizers step up to offer their help, then I can run it.

BTW, Dean, I'll likely be looking to do more working/judging this year and less playing anyways, as I probably won't be able to afford to go to Gencon unless I can work to cover stuff like my badge and other expenses. So, that said, I wouldn't mind having to handle this if necessary.

I plan to get to work on doing a lot of my DOTF customs soon anyways (been busy focusing on other projects), so this would give me good incentive to get most of them done. Use them as display pieces for people to use as examples.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:57 pm 
The One True Sith Lord
The One True Sith Lord

LoboStele wrote:
I'm also more than happy to help, and if it comes to it, and none of our master customizers step up to offer their help, then I can run it.

BTW, Dean, I'll likely be looking to do more working/judging this year and less playing anyways, as I probably won't be able to afford to go to Gencon unless I can work to cover stuff like my badge and other expenses. So, that said, I wouldn't mind having to handle this if necessary.

I plan to get to work on doing a lot of my DOTF customs soon anyways (been busy focusing on other projects), so this would give me good incentive to get most of them done. Use them as display pieces for people to use as examples.

Ok so Aaron you are wanting to do some judging this year? I think I can find some work for you to do.

Send me a message and let me know some of what you are looking to do playwise and what kind of things I can count on you in judging area.

Are you going to need a room and badge? (answer in pm)

SWM DCI Content Manager

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:39 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

Bumped per SHNN tonight. Plus I thought I had posted on this that my group was interested