logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Fun Format: Arena Battles
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:20 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

We created this alternative to fill in the time when we didn't have time left for a full game. We use the Geonosis Arena map, but the only available area on the map is the arena itself. Each player selects one character, then all reveal. Starting with the lowest cost figure, players place their characters next to one of the pillars in the arena. The character may be in any square as long as it is adjacent to a pillar. Once all of the characters are placed, the game begins. There are no initiative rolls... initiative is determined by character cost; lowest cost goes first, highest last. Roll off ties. The game is a free-for-all; experience has told us that it is a great policing format in that players who select dominating characters such as Grand Master Luke often get ganged up on. The game ends with the last charcter standing. Even with 7 or 8 players, games seldom lasted longer than 15 minutes.

Some memorable games:

A player selected Blizzard Scout 1 and placed him within first round striking range of Mara Jade. Mara lightsaber assaulted the Blizzard Scout before it ever activated and killed it.

GMA has won a few times, but not porportional the amount of times he has been run.

I once predicted I would finish second in a game. When we revealed our characters, I had Leia Organa Senator. I finished second.

Being organized is for people who are too lazy to look for their stuff.

Lasers make everything better... except Alderaan.

Post subject: Re: Fun Format: Arena Battles
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:36 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Like!
Quote:
I once predicted I would finish second in a game. When we revealed our characters, I had Leia Organa Senator. I finished second.

LOL

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:54 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Heh, we have done Dynamic Duo in the Geonosis Arena before. It was always a lot of fun, and doesn't last very long at all. At one point we had 8 players doing it, with one team set up in each balcony and one set up between each set of pillars.

"You can't per aspera ad astra unless there's some aspera in front of your astra. And that means sometimes the aspera gets you." - Donald X. Vaccarino

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:08 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

the rakatta arena works well for it also. it has a little more cover but if you dont allow people to leave the centralized arena it works well. i should try one of the Kit fistos in this format. Shaak ti also.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:08 pm 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

DarthJawa wrote:
the rakatta arena works well for it also. it has a little more cover but if you dont allow people to leave the centralized arena it works well. i should try one of the Kit fistos in this format. Shaak ti also.

read also the format that I created called royal rumble. Similar but designed for 3-4 players. A friend and I thought this up when looking for a non competative (fun) but highly strategic format for 3-4 players.

I wrote up a post a while back but still has recent responses. It's just a few posts down the line about 10-12 down in this same section.
If you want to check it out the name of the post is "fun format: royal rumble"

But this sounds as if I will have to try this as well.