logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Re: Interesting Topic #4 Minis for R&R and V-set 3
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:02 am 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

LoboStele wrote:
The problem with using D&D minis is simply that most SWMs players don't have any DDM pieces. What we DO have are SWM pieces. And yes, there's a possibility of running out of RMs down the road. But that just drives home the importance of teaching people how easy it is to repaint figures, or how simple it is to add small colored dot stickers to the bases of your pieces in order to be able to tell them apart from each other.

If anything, I would much rather encourage people to go buy an old RS piece for a new RM, rather than encourage them to buy a DDM piece. If they're going to have to go and buy something they don't have already, it might as well be a SWM piece.

Should the Company that acquired the SW license produce minature in close scale to SWM, would you be opposed to them being used? It has the EXACT same issues as using a D&DM does - i.e. most people don't have it.

I've seen plenty of talk indicating that many just aren't interested in a new miniatures game (unless it has amazing game mechanics), but would be willing to pick up figures here or there for the v-set. D&DM(or other game) should be viewed in the exact same light.

In using figures from other games it should probably be kept to a minimum, but I wouldn't discount it entirely - afterall people can already make Custom Figures to represent the character, or even use a clearly identified proxy in place of the RM, so I really don't see what the issue is.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:33 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I personally think it is a quagmire for the design team, they should keep the RM, to the product that they are creating V-sets for. THat of course is my opnion, but I think you cvreate more issuse for yourself than you do with out.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:11 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Lord_Ball wrote:
Should the Company that acquired the SW license produce minature in close scale to SWM, would you be opposed to them being used? It has the EXACT same issues as using a D&DM does - i.e. most people don't have it.

The below is my same stance on the subject:

Azavander wrote:
I personally think it is a quagmire for the design team, they should keep the RM, to the product that they are creating V-sets for. THat of course is my opnion, but I think you cvreate more issuse for yourself than you do with out.

That said, if the new company DOES produce miniatures in a scale which are compatible, then I would quite likely buy them in order to work on customs and such for new V Set pieces. But I do believe we should stick to promoting the WOTC models, since that is the game which we are promoting.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:23 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

There will be issues of people not getting a new SW line of minis, of course. Whether it will be used for RM, will likely depend on how popular the new line is.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:15 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

It is definitely going to be the issue that decides how long this game can go on. For me and several of my play group, it is a problem using a mini that does not represent the character well. Salacious and the Reek are my two biggest issues out of the first set, i will definitely convert the Reek and i am working on Salacious now. Also working on a Joruus conversion. I will try to convert most of the uniques.

If the game gets to the point that you need to use Rodians as Vong I will lose interest. Alot of people play CMGs so they do not have to model and paint, but also because they get an already painted model of the characters they know and love. Since we no longer can get the actual model we should get as close as possible. I am all for using minis from other games and believe most others would be ok with it as well, as long as you give them the info to get the mini and they are not expensive. Maybe it should be a poll on this site, unless the designers just do not want to bother with it.

Anyway, for me it is conversion. Working on a Saba Sebatyne now, using a lizard person from horrorclix. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:11 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Just want to through out there that D&D is now in the same position as we are. Minis will not be as easy to come by.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:15 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

glasswalkerx wrote:
If the game gets to the point that you need to use Rodians as Vong I will lose interest. Alot of people play CMGs so they do not have to model and paint, but also because they get an already painted model of the characters they know and love. Since we no longer can get the actual model we should get as close as possible. I am all for using minis from other games and believe most others would be ok with it as well, as long as you give them the info to get the mini and they are not expensive. Maybe it should be a poll on this site, unless the designers just do not want to bother with it.

Here'e the thing though guys, and it's sort of like the whole competitive vs. casual debate. The things which satisfy the competitive players can ALSO satisfy the casual ones. But not everything that works for casual is good for competitive. It's a one way street.

Same goes for the RMs, IMO. Using SWM pieces will work for both the people who don't want to buy other pieces AND for the people who are willing to customize stuff or use things from other games. And the rules will allow you to use whatever converted models you want, as long as it's clear to your opponent. However, putting down RMs from other games will not satisfy the people that only wish to use their SWMs, and don't want to have to buy pieces from other games.

So, ultimately, we keep the MOST people happy by only using the SWM models. For people like glasswalkerx and others, those who want to use other miniature lines, or customize things, then it really doesn't even matter what RM we put on the card, if you're going to custom something up anyways.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:43 am 
Name Calling Internet Bully

Yep, there's nothing preventing the utilization by any player who wants to of using D&D minis. Obviously the current floor rules do require a SWM model. I'm not sure if Dean is changing that part or not. But either way, here's what you do. You show up with a SWM model to use, and use the D&D one you want to unless your opponent/judge asks you not to. We will not ever use the RM outside of SWM. We will use a mini twice long before that happens. And no, it won't be overly confusing to do that. It's pretty easy to recommend the use of say a Rebel Trooper for any other faction, without it being overly confusing. I would put the odds of us running out of minis for RM at less than 1% before we stop making V-sets, and I have no intention of doing the latter anytime soon.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:48 am 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

As a competitive judge I would prefer a DnD mini that is closer in resemblance than a Camaasi Noble with a sticker on it reading "YVH" ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:53 am 

The_Celestial_Warrior wrote:
As a competitive judge I would prefer a DnD mini that is closer in resemblance than a Camaasi Noble with a sticker on it reading "YVH" ;)

Yep, me too. I have no problem ignoring the "SWM base" requirement of the custom rules as long as it doesn't offer confusion to the opponent. Further, it's so easy to get around that rule anyway. Just cut your D&D mini off its base and glue it to the correct size SWM base. Problem solved.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:29 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

billiv15 wrote:
Further, it's so easy to get around that rule anyway. Just cut your D&D mini off its base and glue it to the correct size SWM base. Problem solved.

You mean cut it off the the little round black base that looks identical to the ones from Star Wars minis? are you serious?

If people don't want to use D&D minis thats fine, but is there any good reason the Rules can't be amended to just allow proxy models more leniency for the people who do?

If they must be on the Black base then obviously Heroclix and other types of Mini Figures would have to be converted to the SW base without question. But D&D already starts on an identical base. Does it really need to say "Rebel Pilot" under it instead of "Drow Wizard"? I see no point in defacing a Mini on the correct base type just for the sake of it being a SW one.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:32 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

D&D isn't so much an issue. Others, that don't have the general small/medium/large/huge base, would definately be problematic. I really don't see any judge refusing a custom on a D&D base.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:46 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Dimetrodon wrote:
billiv15 wrote:
Further, it's so easy to get around that rule anyway. Just cut your D&D mini off its base and glue it to the correct size SWM base. Problem solved.

You mean cut it off the the little round black base that looks identical to the ones from Star Wars minis? are you serious?

If people don't want to use D&D minis thats fine, but is there any good reason the Rules can't be amended to just allow proxy models more leniency for the people who do?

If they must be on the Black base then obviously Heroclix and other types of Mini Figures would have to be converted to the SW base without question. But D&D already starts on an identical base. Does it really need to say "Rebel Pilot" under it instead of "Drow Wizard"? I see no point in defacing a Mini on the correct base type just for the sake of it being a SW one.

Don't be too jumpy about it guys. We've said over and over and over and over again that customs will be fine, as long as the judge and your opponent rule that they are OK. Until Dean puts out the new Floor Rules, I don't think it's really worth worrying about. We KNOW the existing floor rules don't cover everything. Let's put this part of the conversation to rest until the new rules are up, and we see how Dean plans to handle things. I'm quite sure it'll all be fine though.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:04 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Alrighty well If it's all up in the air I guess you're right that we should drop that topic. Didn't mean to put this thread in the wrong direction btw.

but back to the RM's in general both these links might prove useful

The first one shows all the sculpts split by species in the game and the second link shows all armored and droid pieces by sculpt sorted out. They do not however show Savage or Beast and Animal type creatures. Quick looks at a big splash page of everything could help pick out an RM more easily. Kinda nice to have it all laid out for you, it's like picking off a Menu at a Diner now. so many choices haha.

http://dantooine.hardscribble.net/pdfs/ ... Unique.pdf

http://dantooine.hardscribble.net/pdfs/ ... rmored.pdf

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:34 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

That is cool and i guess we have heard the official word from the designers. What i was saying was not really for me alone, it was more for my play group, most of whom will not be converting their own minis. I was just throwing out ideas to keep the game some what fresh, i do not want it to get stale with a limited mini pool when we have so much more to choose from. Definitely understand the reasons why u want to stick with SW minis only and I think u guys did a great job on set 1. If u ever decide to change your mind, I guess the D&D minis will always be around.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:34 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Availability of the mini's from the various mini sites (help them sell their stuff) and seldom used pieces. Fortunately, these have a common theme which is usually lower cost. This is usable for army builders and unique piece development.

However, the most important thing is keeping the game fun. What minis are used to substitute for the card is the easiest thing to figure out at the local venue. So for the designers: #1 is keep it fun; #2 is to utilize other suggestions. Let the local gamers figure out which minis to use.