logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Exar Kun, Dark Force Spirit
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:34 pm 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

OK...i finally bought a "Testors" paint set, and i've decided to try my hand at painting. This is my first (painted) custom, so please try not to laugh. Lol.

I decided to start out using a really easy custom. Basic colors, no fine lines, etc. etc. So, after reviewing the DOTF checklist, i decided to make my Exar Kun, Dark Force Spirit! Enjoy! :)

So the paints i used were:

2/3 Clear Gloss
1/3 Black Gloss

When i mixed them together i thought that it would surely make a solid shade of black...but, when i applied it onto my Ani, FS it actually turned out pretty good.

Then i took a toothpick and dipped it in some Red Gloss paint and poked it into ani's eye sockets...so now i have a (kinda) cool Exar DFS with red eyes! Mwahaha

...and i know it looks like a solid shade of black (sort of), so here's a picture of a flashlight shining through the custom to show that it still is semi-transparent!

Lemme know what you guys think (and post your own pics of Exar DFS too). Questions or comments are always welcome!

:maul:

Post subject: Re: Exar Kun, Dark Force Spirit
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:17 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Nice work! Translucent stuff is always tough to get quite right. Nice work, for a first custom.

I would HIGHLY recommend acrylic paints though, and NOT testor's stuff. For some reason, I've just not been impressed with Testor's paints on miniatures. Going with things like Apple Barrel paints from Wal-Mart or Folk Art brand from a craft store like Michael's seem to work much better. And once you get more comfortable with stuff, definitely upgrade to stuff like Citadel paints from Games Workshop.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:15 pm 

LoboStele wrote:
Nice work! Translucent stuff is always tough to get quite right. Nice work, for a first custom.

I would HIGHLY recommend acrylic paints though, and NOT testor's stuff. For some reason, I've just not been impressed with Testor's paints on miniatures. Going with things like Apple Barrel paints from Wal-Mart or Folk Art brand from a craft store like Michael's seem to work much better. And once you get more comfortable with stuff, definitely upgrade to stuff like Citadel paints from Games Workshop.

hmmm...interesting that you say that. I went to michaels and i bought this set bc it was also called acrylic paints (?). Whats testors lacking compared to other paints? I already painted a few others and am quite happy with them (of course; im no master). Is it maybe the texture or shading? Also; i like testors b/c it came with flat paints...not just all gloss. Do other brands have flat colors?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:29 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I don't know. Just personal preference I guess. Something about the testors paints have been weird for me. Your mileage may vary though. And yes, MOST acrylic paints are flat. Your best bet is to top-coat things after your done though, both to get the finish that you want (matte vs. gloss) and to protect the paint. Most people, the sweat/oils on your fingers will slowly break down the acrylic paint and it will rub off. So you use a spray can of matte clear coat, and give the miniature just a very light spray coat (go VERY light...you can always add more, and it will ruin the paint job if you do too much).